General News & Information about Haakon,Mette-Marit & Family 1: July 2014 - June 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CP Mette-Marit has been spotted at a book launch and reading with author Kjell Askildsen at Tronsmo Bokhandel in Oslo (a bookshop very close to the Royal Palace), November 5, 2015.
Photo

Bunte's article writes, that the family spent the holidays on a yacht in front of Capri and Amalfi coast...
Mette-Marit von Norwegen: Mehr Urlaub als Arbeit? | BUNTE.de
https://translate.google.hu/transla...mehr-urlaub-als-arbeit-132101.html&edit-text=

In this article is a picture about this holiday. ... And writes that they own a home in Rio de Janeiro...? Or the google translation is so bad...
Vacances royale : entre farniente et polémiques - L'Express Styles

Bunte is not reliable in that respect, they often mix up things or represent them in a wrong way. So I don't think that that they are correct about that house.

I know that this article has been posted in the Crown Prince Haakon to sit on the committee of the Olympic Youth Games 2016 thread, but this interview was not just about the Olympics, so I post it here with a translation from me because the Google translation is very bad.

The Crown Prince was a guest in the TV/Radio program P3morgen yesterday. The interview lasted for 30 minutes. He spoke among other thing about the Youth Winter Olympics. He was also asked whether they make their own food at Skaugum? He said that the chefs do it in the weekdays, but they try to warm up the food themselves in the weekends. When he was asked about his music taste? He said he liked rock, hip hop and EDM.
p3.no » – Taco kvar fredag!
Crown Prince Haakon talked about watching series and Friday taco in his first live interview.

''The first thing that happens in the morning is that I press the snooze button. I always go to bed an hour to late'', Crown Prince Haakon says.

The Morning at home for the Crown Prince family consist of the same as with most people: Clothing, breakfast etc. And a little procrastination, perhaps.

''We are often a bit late and we should not be, but we is'', the Crown Prince says.

Friday Taco is also a staple for the Crown Prince. And of course series-watching.

What series do you see at the moment, then?

''I look at The O.C. of course ... Oh no!

But I think my all time favorite has to be The West Wing, and perhaps The Newsroom'', he says.

Like father like daughter

On Friday the Youth Olympics in Lillehammer begins, and it's Princess Ingrid Alexandra who will light the Olympic fire.

What kind of advice would you give her? Since you did the same thing in 1994, Ronny ask.

''It's not hocus-pocus, she'll practice a little, and will handle it just fine.''

What were you thinking in 1994 when you stood there and was to light the fire for the whole world? Ronny ask.

''Oh, that moment, I remember very well. I was to light the fire so it matched with the music''.

''What happened was that I was to get a sign in the music when I was coming up the stairs, and at the rehearsals, I found out that I would be around halfway up the stairs when the sign came.''

But the fire-lighting didn't go as planned:

''The sign I was to have in the middle of the stairs came the moment I got the torch in his hand.

If one looks carefully at the video clip from 1994, one can see that I turn around and was running as fast as I can.''

When the prince is almost on the top the sign comes in the music again. Then he suddenly had very good time.

''Finally, I stood there at the top and thought it was good that I arrived in time. And then I smiled slightly, and looked toward the people, and pretended that it was the way it should be.

In retrospect, it turned out that it actually was the way it should be. The Crown Prince had just gotten a little better time, without notice.

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you for the articles, ROYAL NORWAY. :flowers: I think it's nice when the royals share little things about their daily routines as it gives us a glimpse into what they do behind closed doors.

Haakon og Mette Marit får Norge til at rase: Genopliver 200 år gammel strid - Royale | www.bt.dk

I stumbled across this piece of news in Danish BT today and as I haven't noticed it anywhere else, including the TRF I'll post it here.

Now, I'm not Norwegian so this may be a little complicated to explain.
In Norway there are two official versions of Norwegian: Nynorsk, which basically is a compromise of the countless dialects that were spoken in Norway some 200 years ago and Bokmål, which is official Norwegian and which is spoken by 90 % of the population.

Ingrid Alexandra has as you know changed from a public school to a private and international school.
And that has caused a row in Norway! Partly because it's a private school, but also very much because the international school does not teach Nynorsk. The reason being that most of the school's pupils are foreigners and it would make no sense to teach them two versions of Norwegian.
As such Ingrid Alexandra is not taught Nynorsk either.

Marit Tennø from the association Noregs Mållag says: "From a symbolic point of view it's unfortunate that the heir to the throne is excempt from learning Nynorsk. That results in a lacking competence in Norwegian, when the students on an elite-school are only taught one of two Norwegian languages".

interesting, thanks :flowers:
I guess she can always get a tutor later on

And another thanks from me for the article, Muhler. :flowers:

I wonder if the school offers any kind of after school/lunchtime club where students can learn Nynorsk if they want to or if their families want them to. It would be a good initiative now that Princess Ingrid Alexandra is at the school, however I guess they have to take into consideration the many international pupils that attend the school. As Muhler has pointed out, Nynorsk wouldn't be terribly useful for them. I agree with polyesco, a tutor would be the best option if Haakon and MM think it would be important for Ingrid Alexandra to learn Nynorsk.

What part of the population speaks Nynorsk? I read that the Samis have their own language (but am not sure if I'm correct) so I'm curious.

Last edited:
According to wiki: 26% of municipalities (12% of the overall population) identify as speaking Nynorsk. of the remaining 74%, they are pretty much split evenly half identifying as neutral and half as Bokmal.

The Sami people do have their own language. The various Sami groups of Norway seem to speak the Western Sami language. It is a Uralic language, which would be considered similar to Hungarian, Finnish and Estonian.

I agree. I think certainly Ingrid will get extra classes in Nynorsk. That is simply required of her.
As for her siblings? Perhaps only more rudimentary lessons?

According to wiki: 26% of municipalities (12% of the overall population) identify as speaking Nynorsk. of the remaining 74%, they are pretty much split evenly half identifying as neutral and half as Bokmal.

The Sami people do have their own language. The various Sami groups of Norway seem to speak the Western Sami language. It is a Uralic language, which would be considered similar to Hungarian, Finnish and Estonian.

Thanks for the information, that was interesting to read.
I had thought the Samis had their own language, but just wanted to double check. I didn't realise it was close to Hungarian, Finnish and Estonian (I've heard that about Icelandic too).

Haakon og Mette Marit får Norge til at rase: Genopliver 200 år gammel strid - Royale | www.bt.dk

I stumbled across this piece of news in Danish BT today and as I haven't noticed it anywhere else, including the TRF I'll post it here.

Now, I'm not Norwegian so this may be a little complicated to explain.
In Norway there are two official versions of Norwegian: Nynorsk, which basically is a compromise of the countless dialects that were spoken in Norway some 200 years ago and Bokmål, which is official Norwegian and which is spoken by 90 % of the population.

Ingrid Alexandra has as you know changed from a public school to a private and international school.
And that has caused a row in Norway! Partly because it's a private school, but also very much because the international school does not teach Nynorsk. The reason being that most of the school's pupils are foreigners and it would make no sense to teach them two versions of Norwegian.
As such Ingrid Alexandra is not taught Nynorsk either.

Marit Tennø from the association Noregs Mållag says: "From a symbolic point of view it's unfortunate that the heir to the throne is excempt from learning Nynorsk. That results in a lacking competence in Norwegian, when the students on an elite-school are only taught one of two Norwegian languages".

Thanks for the article, Muhler.

I don't know where BT gets their sources from, because there is no row/raging here in Norway. It's only the leader in Noregs MÅLLAG, Marit Tenno who thinks it's wrong that the students at Oslo International School doesn't learn nynorsk. There's hardly been mentioned in the media with the exception of a few articles four days ago.

interesting, thanks :flowers:
I guess she can always get a tutor later on

Prinsesseskule utan nynorsk: Uheldig at Ingrid Alexandra blir friteken - Skole og utdanning - VG
''Her Parents make sure that she gets the necessary training in nynorsk'', writes Communications Director in the royal house, Marianne Hagen in an email to VG.

It's already known that the Princess participates in a reading group with former cabinet secretary Berit Tversland. Here they reads both in nynorsk and bokmål.

What part of the population speaks Nynorsk?

Nearly 80% of the population speaks a dialect that differs from the standard eastern Norwegian or another variant of spoken bokmål. When we say that someone speaks nynorsk, we mean declared nynorsk. Few dialect speaking Norwegians would say that they speak declared nynorsk, but it's not uncommon in nynorsk core areas. Modern Norwegian dialects is spoken throughout the country, but it's only in Western Norway outside the main cities and in the eastern hill villages that declared nynorsk written language is strong. This means that most dialect speakers have bokmål as their written language.

Last edited:
so interesting, i didn't know there were 2 norwegian languages. however, i read that 12% of the population speaks nynorske, so it's not a prominent language and i would even venture to say that the rest of the RF probably do not speak it (sonja, MM?) anyway. so why attack the fact that IA is not learning it at school? she will probably study it on her private time as part of her 'curriculum' to prepare for her future role (just like for example, felipe did when he learnt the autonomic languages in spain).

which other countries with royalty have minority languages just like norway and spain? (belgium and britain come to mind, but maybe also denmark, with the faroe islands and greenland?) do their royals speak a minority language?

so interesting, i didn't know there were 2 norwegian languages. however, i read that 12% of the population speaks nynorske, so it's not a prominent language and i would even venture to say that the rest of the RF probably do not speak it (sonja, MM?) anyway. so why attack the fact that IA is not learning it at school? she will probably study it on her private time as part of her 'curriculum' to prepare for her future role (just like for example, felipe did when he learnt the autonomic languages in spain).

which other countries with royalty have minority languages just like norway and spain? (belgium and britain come to mind, but maybe also denmark, with the faroe islands and greenland?) do their royals speak a minority language?

In the Netherlands we have Frisian as an official second language. Except for the Frisians and some other Frisian-lovers, nobody speaks it. I doubt that the Dutch RF does so either.

Thanks for the article, Muhler.

I don't know where BT gets their sources from, because there is no row/raging here in Norway. It's only the leader in Noregs MÅLLAG, Marit Tenno who thinks it's wrong that the students at Oslo International School doesn't learn nynorsk. There's hardly been mentioned in the media with the exception of a few articles four days ago.

Prinsesseskule utan nynorsk: Uheldig at Ingrid Alexandra blir friteken - Skole og utdanning - VG

Probably from your link.

Anyway, there is no story so small that it can't be exaggerated... :p

There is no official second language in DK, but the German minority learn German (at German schools) at a similar level as Danish. The same thing applies to the Danish minority in Germany.
As for Greenland and the Faeroe Islands, they are taught Danish as their second language at school - simply because most higher education takes place in DK. But many forget most of it later in life.
Dialects are not taught at schools in DK.

QMII speak at least some Faeroese and Frederik I guess speak at least rudimentary Greenlandic and he follow Greenlandic news, so perhaps he reads a bit as well?

Norwegian news write today that there was an unfortunate incident involving the police bodyguard protecting Ingrid Alexandra:
Drama i det norske kongehus: Affyrede skud mens 12-årige prinsesse Ingrid Alexandra var i skole - Royale | www.bt.dk

Kongefamilens livvakt skjøt i veggen på prinsesse Ingrid Alexandras skole - NRK Norge - Oversikt over nyheter fra ulike deler av landet

It took place on 18th January in the International school Ingrid Alexandra attends. Inside the building used by the protection officers.
The officers pistol went off and a bullet hit the wall, fortunately without penetrating it.

- It happens more often than police forces would like to admit!
The Norwegian police are equipped with 9mm pistols with expanding bullets, so I guess there was next to no chance the projectile could penetrate the metal wall.
This ammunition is also used by Danish police and an investigation of event during a terrorist incident last year has shown that this type of ammunition has poor penetration power. Even thick glass at an angle can stop projectiles.
Fortunately in this case the police has not switched to heavier ammunition or the bullet might have penetrated the wall - inside a school yard.

Last edited:
:previous: oh wow. :sad:
Glad no kids were present.
I think in the Netherlands a semi similar incident occurred with the bodyguard of the princess forgetting the gun in th bathroom.
Over a month ago and the news comes out now

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks for sharing eya, those were great photos. It was great to see the family playing football together, the children seemed to be enjoying themselves!

Reactions: eya
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom