The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Norway > Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-27-2015, 10:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Pris View Post
Duc et Pair then why does the media criticize Princess Beatrice? Why does the media criticize Princess Madeline? The negativity and complaints around these two is so extreme. Why doesn't your little theory apply to them if they are not commoners. I have never seen anyone say "what do you expect? They are princesses..." instead they get criticized for working very little and bringing bad publicity to their royal houses.
I think you are correct. The commoner theory only adds a little fuel to the fire. If they are perceived to work very little and not seem to take their duty seriously, and seem to only take the Perks, good without the bad, they are in trouble. Also, national culture has something to do with it, lifestyle in Monaco vs Norway is quite different

Old 08-27-2015, 02:59 PM
Serene Highness

Carl XVI and Queen Silvia = success story. Very much respected. The Queen was, back in the 1970s, the only hope of the then troubled swedish monarchy. She always was one of the most respected persons of the royal family
Harald V and Queen Sonja = success story.
Willem Alex. and Queen Máxima/ Netherlands= Highly successful, loved and respected royal couple.
Ragnhild of Norway and Erling Lorentzen = marriage lastet for 60 years until the Princesses death
Astrid of Norway and Martin Ferner = successful marriage for more than 5 decades by now. Very much respected.
Christina of Sweden and Tord Magnusson = successful marriage for 40 years by now.
Leopold and Uschi of Bavaria = long lasting, successful marriage.
Pavlos and Marie-Chantal of Greece = firm and longlasting, loving marriage for 20 years by now.
Frederik and Mary of Denmark= highly respected and loved, very successful partnership.
Richard of Gloucester and his danish born duchess = long lasting, successful marriage; both calm, dutiful and dignified.
And so on...

Prince Bernard of the Netherlands= highly controversial, many scandals.
Margaret of Great Britain = controversial and scandalous life
Philip of Gr. Britain, Pr. of Greece = controversial, scandalous in early life (affairs), marriage only lasted by the "tolerance in abundance" of his wife.
Charles and Diana of Wales = sigh....
Juan Carlos of Spain = similar like Prince Philip; highly controversial figure in later life.
Carl Gustaf of Sweden = Well, no words needed...
Henrik of Denmark (born Count) = not very respected (rather accepted) in Denmark after half a century in that country.
Albert and Paola of Belgium = highly troubled marriage, affairs, in earlier life

...and so on and so on... All of them had very bad press! Of course there are also successful, long lasting marriages of couples which consist of both royal partners and born royal people who created no scandals, acted dutiful and dignified all their lifetime! But the reason for this is not their royal birth, but personality and good role models they experienced as children - exactly the same as commoners who grew up in a loving environment and a good education.
When I look at my list I wonder if many (commoner born) royals act more in a classic royal way than those born to it.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:20 AM
Royal Highness

Kronprinsparet får klimakjeft | ABC Nyheter

This is translated by me, because these google translations are so poor.

Haakon and Mette-Marit is being criticized again.

A few hours sailing with the luxury yacht the Crown Prince family used this summer, is equivalent to the greenhouse gas emissions to a passenger car during one year. The organization Future in Our Hands is reacting.

According to Dagbladet, everything suggests that the Crown Prince and Crown Princess were on board for five days, from the yacht traveled from Positano on the Amalfi Coast on August 2 to the docked Corsica outside France on 7 August.

Calculations that has been conducted by engineer Jo Alexander Gjerpe on behalf of the newspaper shows that five days aboard is equivalent to greenhouse gas emissions to between 4.8 and 6.5 households within a year.

Both the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess has been strongly committed to environmental issues and has also encouraged people to use less water and to reduce power consumption.

- It provides an aftertaste when the Crown Prince couple chooses to take an vacation aboard a boat that gives soaring greenhouse gas emissions, while they have a strong commitment to climate and often emphasizes that individuals have a responsibility to preserve the environment, says manager Arild Hermstad in The future in our hands.

The palace has not wanted to comment on the matter to Dagbladet.

Earlier this week Mette-Marit refused to answer questions about luxury holidays when she was attending kindergarten conference:

I hope it was readable.

I see that some previous posts in this thread says that there has been strong criticism of Haakon and Mette-Marit, but this is incorrect. It's just the newspaper Dagbladet (which is known for and write the most ridiculous things) who is being their usual noisy self.

It's not even Haakon and Mette-Marit who paid for it.

Both Harald, Sonja, Haakon and Mette-Marit also uses the royal yacht (who is operated by the Navy on taxpayers money) to holidays, and there is no one who cares about that, not even Dagbladet.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent

The current cover of the Seoghor-magazine has a photo of the CP Family driving to some party at the Palace. Maybe it was in connection with the birthdays/anniversaries.
Here is the cover https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a8&oe=5682EE21
Old 09-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Pris View Post
Duc et Pair then why does the media criticize Princess Beatrice? Why does the media criticize Princess Madeline? The negativity and complaints around these two is so extreme. Why doesn't your little theory apply to them if they are not commoners. I have never seen anyone say "what do you expect? They are princesses..." instead they get criticized for working very little and bringing bad publicity to their royal houses.
Just a little comment but I think the media and the public in general judge harshly royals like Princesses Beatrice, Madeleine and CP MM whose life and work balance are, well, not balanced. The public has to feel like someone deserves what they have, otherwise there will be jealousy. People are much more forgiving and tolerant on those who seem to work hard--Princess Mary for instance, wears a lot of couture but since she is known to be a hardworking royal, it's all money well spent.

I don't know where I heard it first but someone once said, in relation to one's image at the office, that working hard is less important than appearing to work hard.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

the controversy continues
Kronprinsparets taushetsregime er en risikabel seilas - Aftenposten
Old 09-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Royal Highness

Kronprinsen om luksusferie: - Besøkte en venn - NRK Kultur og underholdning - Nyheter og aktuelt stoff

Translated by me.

''- I've seen that there has been great interest in this. For us it was an invitation from a friend of ours. We were visiting for a few days. There has been much speculation about it.

- I do not think he has any special interests in Norway at all. We were visiting one of the owners of the boat. I don't think he owes us something, or that we owe him something, said the crown prince told reporters.''

And now the press is looking for who this friend is.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Mette Marit and Haakon are hosting a party this weekend and Victoria and Estelle and Guillaume and Stephanie will be in attendance.
Luxarazzi : Guillaume and Stéphanie in Norway
http://g.api.no/obscura/API/dynamic/...JPG?chk=69A22F
https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...99703929_o.jpg
Old 09-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Thanks for the photos. I am adding this party to the list of royal events I'd like to have been a fly on the wall on - seeing Estelle interact with Haakon and MM's children would be sweet.

I had no idea Guillaume and Stephanie were friends with Haakon and MM, though they must be quite close.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 09-12-2015, 09:26 PM
Majesty

It's a surprise to me as well, mostly because there is a bit of a gap in the ages of the two couples and they seem to have different interests.

But Guillaume and the NRF have been close since before his wedding to Stephanie. Remember that he seriously dated a niece of Queen Sonja. He seems particularly close to Mette-Marit.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Thank you for the info about the NRF's relationship with the Luxembourg Grand Ducal Family - I'm not that knowledgable on the Grand Ducal Family so was unaware that Guillaume dated one of Sonja's nieces (I've only been following the European royals since 2011 and closely since I joined TRF), meaning that Haakon and MM's friendship with Guillaume and Stephanie came across as a complete surprise for me.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 09-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Mette Marit and Haakon are hosting a party this weekend and Victoria and Estelle and Guillaume and Stephanie will be in attendance.
A couple of articles in the Norwegian press, have:

"A number of royalty from several European countries gathered at the weekend to a summer party on Mågerø."

"Royals from Europe partying on the royal familys "party island" on Tjøme."

I think it sounds like there were more royals attending, than just the ones photographed.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:55 PM
Serene Highness

Photo from the party:

https://www.facebook.com/Kongehuset/...type=1&fref=nf
Old 09-13-2015, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
A couple of articles in the Norwegian press, have:

"A number of royalty from several European countries gathered at the weekend to a summer party on Mågerø."

"Royals from Europe partying on the royal familys "party island" on Tjøme."

I think it sounds like there were more royals attending, than just the ones photographed.
Also Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary atttended with their children. It was the annual Heirs meeting where we last got a pic from in 2013 fromt he Netherlands short before Willem-Alenxander became King
LL.AA.RR. le Prince Héritier Haakon et la Princesse Héritière Mette-Marit de Norvège accueillent les Princes Héritiers d’Europe - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Septembre 2015
Old 09-13-2015, 01:51 PM
Courtier

I don't believe it is jealousy with Princess Beatrice, personally, I believe it is what is seen as people not giving back to the general public to whom they ultimately owe their position and arguably income. Remember also the very real financial hardship in Britain at the moment.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Also Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary atttended with their children. It was the annual Heirs meeting where we last got a pic from in 2013 fromt he Netherlands short before Willem-Alenxander became King
LL.AA.RR. le Prince Héritier Haakon et la Princesse Héritière Mette-Marit de Norvège accueillent les Princes Héritiers d’Europe - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Septembre 2015
i remember the photo in 2013, but didn't know this was a regular event. i thought the dutch meeting was more because WA and maxima were the first of the generation to become king and queen. so it happens every year? i wonder why haven't they invited someone from britain. i know charles and camilla are an older generation, but william and kate would have fitted nicely, as they are among the same age as guillaume and stephanie. i guess the belgians, dutch, spanish and monaco wouldn't really join this gathering as they are no longer princely couples.

i like that they have given the gathering a (slightly pretentious) name: "a Royal generation meeting" :)
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-13-2015, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i remember the photo in 2013, but didn't know this was a regular event. i thought the dutch meeting was more because WA and maxima were the first of the generation to become king and queen. so it happens every year? i wonder why haven't they invited someone from britain. i know charles and camilla are an older generation, but william and kate would have fitted nicely, as they are among the same age as guillaume and stephanie. i guess the belgians, dutch, spanish and monaco wouldn't really join this gathering as they are no longer princely couples.

i like that they have given the gathering a (slightly pretentious) name: "a Royal generation meeting" :)
Not sure but i think after the dutch meeting it weas told that the heirs meet on a regular time. Not only Brtiain uis missing but also Lidechtenstein. This could be either because the is not to much contact of them with most Families or because Alois is Regent for his father and therefore doing most of the duties of the Head of State.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:31 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Not sure but i think after the dutch meeting it weas told that the heirs meet on a regular time. Not only Brtiain uis missing but also Lidechtenstein. This could be either because the is not to much contact of them with most Families or because Alois is Regent for his father and therefore doing most of the duties of the Head of State.
its exactly the same attendees like 2013 minus those who became kings (Belgium, Spain, Dutch), Daniel was sick in 2015 and Frederik & MM were absent in 2013 (with the other half attending).
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-huNVHLXzq2...ps95d2b38e.jpg
Old 09-13-2015, 02:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I loved the photo.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Terrific picture, it's always lovely to see all of them together – and what a great tradition. I hope the next meet-up will be here in Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post

William is "only" second in line to the throne though and these are all first in lines (with their children) so that wouldn't have worked. I would have loved to see Charles and Camilla there. As for Belgium, The Netherlands, Spain and Monaco, they would've had to send Élisabeth, Amalia, Leonor and Jacques to fit the premise and they are very young.

On the DRF's website they call it an "heir meeting"

Tags
crown prince haakon, crown princess mette-marit, general news, norwegian royal family general news, prince haakon general news, princess mette-marit, princess mette-marit general news