The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-04-2019, 09:53 AM
Majesty

Thanks for the excellent explanation Muhler. It clarified the situation perfectly.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

General News and Information about Haakon, Mette-Marit and family

How coincidental - I'm scheduled to have syringing for a similar condition in a couple of weeks time (a procedure I have to have done once a year). I hope Haakon's went smoothly.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-04-2019, 06:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Perhaps you can tell us a little about it?

Having the procedure once a year?!? That sounds dramatic!
Old 03-04-2019, 07:59 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Perhaps you can tell us a little about it?

Having the procedure once a year?!? That sounds dramatic!

That would be pretty dramatic! Turns out I got the two conditions confused with one another. Haakon will have had a minor surgery where the extra bone that causes his condition in his ear will be removed, whereas my procedure will simply be syringing, though I have always had a similar issue with wax residue in my ears which stems from genetics (my grandmother and one of my cousins has/have had the same condition).

Old 03-05-2019, 03:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks.
I'm relieved.

Anything to prevent an ear infection, if it's anything like the ear-infections I had as a child. They were pretty painful.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:05 AM
Serene Highness

The newspaper Se og Hør has a quote from the Palace's communication manager saying that the operation went fine. Haakon has a day trip scheduled for the 20th, so it does seem that he needs little to no recovery time for this type of surgery.

It seems that this malady is caused by the change in temperature when coming in and out of water (from warm to cold.) It's most commonly called surfer's ear, because it affects surfers and swimmers the most.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyonnaise View Post
It seems that this malady is caused by the change in temperature when coming in and out of water (from warm to cold.) It's most commonly called surfer's ear, because it affects surfers and swimmers the most.
The technical name for the condition is exostosis and it can also be found in other parts of the body such as the kneecaps, femur, etc. This website has quite a good diagram of what a regular ear looks like in comparison to surfer's ear.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Crown Prince Couple have a date tonight! as Mette Marit inform us!

"My husband took me on a date tonight ❤️ It was Stovnerrevyen, and could not have been more fun. For a bunch, for a script. Congratulations. And for those of you who want to have laughter cramps so it hurts your stomach ... go and see tomorrow or Saturday"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvAGik5h9R1/
Old 03-14-2019, 06:50 PM
Serene Highness

Seems that her health is good, so perhaps she can start doing some work. If I remember royalnorway's translations correctly, she did say she wanted to keep working despite her illness.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:29 AM
Administrator

The following article contains two photos of Mette-Marit and Haakon at the "date" she wrote about on her instagram account two weeks ago:

** svenskdam: Efter operationen! Haakon tog med Mette-Marit på date ** translation **
Old 04-14-2019, 02:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Crown Prince Family on the skiing holidays:

"For a beautiful start to the Easter holiday ������❤️"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwPpK1FBQ59/
Old 04-14-2019, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Nice to see the family enjoying themselves and catching the last bits of snow before the summer!

Old 04-14-2019, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
The technical name for the condition is exostosis and it can also be found in other parts of the body such as the kneecaps, femur, etc. This website has quite a good diagram of what a regular ear looks like in comparison to surfer's ear.

I knew Haakon surfed occasionally, but I never thought he was a regular surfer to the point of suffering from exostosis, especially living in Norway.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I knew Haakon surfed occasionally, but I never thought he was a regular surfer to the point of suffering from exostosis, especially living in Norway.
He is! He even shared his love of surfing during his speech in Fiji. He seems to love surfing so much so that he's going to have the same operation on the other ear later this year!

“I am fine. It was not dramatic. It is simply the ear canals that have been clogged, so I had an operation. I must probably do the operation again, on the other ear. One of the things that can aggravate it is to be in cold water. I was doing a lot of wind surfing when I was younger”. (source)
Old 04-20-2019, 04:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Seems that her health is good, so perhaps she can start doing some work. If I remember royalnorway's translations correctly, she did say she wanted to keep working despite her illness.
When it comes to The Crown Princess and royal engagements, I think it's important to remember that:

1. She suffers from what is thought to be Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), a disease with an average survival rate of 3-5 years from being diagnosed, most likely caused by an autoimmune process in her body. And even though it was discovered early, which is a good thing, it is nevertheless, a severe illness that affects her day to day form.
2. There is a difference between doing some private stuff with her family (i.e. enjoying some entertainment or skiing with her husband and children) and attending royal engagements where everyone (especially the media) looks at her with ''the eyes of Argus'' (as we say it in Norway) to see whether ''she seems to be on good form or not.''
3. She has, according to the RH calendar, attended 19 engagements (20, if we include The World Wildlife Fund conference, where she was present to watch The Crown Prince speak) since we got the news about her illness on October 24th, so not bad.

--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
The Crown Prince Family on the skiing holidays:

"For a beautiful start to the Easter holiday ������❤️"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwPpK1FBQ59/
Thanks!

Yes, like many Norwegians, The CP-family spends Easter at their cabin (in Uvdal - link), enjoying themselves with friends, doing stuff such as skiing, playing games and eating good food.
BTW: Many of those who don't have a cabin, choose to rent one, which is not as expensive as it sounds.

--------------------

Quote:
He is! He even shared his love of surfing during his speech in Fiji. He seems to love surfing so much so that he's going to have the same operation on the other ear later this year!

“I am fine. It was not dramatic. It is simply the ear canals that have been clogged, so I had an operation. I must probably do the operation again, on the other ear. One of the things that can aggravate it (the exostosis) is to be in cold water. I was doing a lot of wind surfing when I was younger”. (source)
Thanks!

And as one can see, I took myself the freedom to add some information in bold.

BTW, To those who haven't read that (Royal Central) article, which is written by the Norwegian royal commentator, Oskar Aanmoen: Well, The Crown Prince said the above stuff (in Lyonnaise's post) to The Norwegian News Agency (NTB) this week, where he also stated that it is not decided when the non-urgent surgery will happen, but that it may be this autumn.

And although Aanmoen isn't the best translator in the world (since he always seems to be using google translations), I have gone through what The CP said in Norwegian, and it looks quite right.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:55 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I hope Haakon's second surgery goes well/has gone well.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
The problem with Mette Marrit's condition is that at this time it is invisible. She looks much as she did before her diagnosis but I think she picks her battles.

Perhaps she bartered a few days rest for a day spent just like before, the joy of a couple of wonderful ski runs with her family. For all we know, every brilliant day like that results in bed rest and sitting around looking pretty. The pain that an invisible condition causes can be so much worse that it needs to be. The judgement of other people hurts.

My niece had a stroke and she is so lucky that she conquered the paralysis and to look at her you would never guess, but her short-term memory is shot, she suffers from chronic fatigue and has had several falls as a result of losing her peripheral vision.
People only backed off when she started using a white cane.

Every time I see MM out and looking happy healthy and joyful, I thank God for her loving and supportive family and hopefully her country too.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
The problem with Mette Marrit's condition is that at this time it is invisible. She looks much as she did before her diagnosis but I think she picks her battles.

Perhaps she bartered a few days rest for a day spent just like before, the joy of a couple of wonderful ski runs with her family. For all we know, every brilliant day like that results in bed rest and sitting around looking pretty. The pain that an invisible condition causes can be so much worse that it needs to be. The judgement of other people hurts.

My niece had a stroke and she is so lucky that she conquered the paralysis and to look at her you would never guess, but her short-term memory is shot, she suffers from chronic fatigue and has had several falls as a result of losing her peripheral vision.
People only backed off when she started using a white cane.

Every time I see MM out and looking happy healthy and joyful, I thank God for her loving and supportive family and hopefully her country too.
Thank you for explaining invisible illness and people's hurtfulness so well.
Just because someone looks fine does not mean they are fine.

My late cousin was diagnosed with MS in her early 20s, she died at age 35. But the first few years she looked fine at first glance. She had good days where she could walk some without limping or losing her balance. But people were mean and rude because she didn't always seem handicapped.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Thank you for explaining invisible illness and people's hurtfulness so well.
Just because someone looks fine does not mean they are fine.

My late cousin was diagnosed with MS in her early 20s, she died at age 35. But the first few years she looked fine at first glance. She had good days where she could walk some without limping or losing her balance. But people were mean and rude because she didn't always seem handicapped.
Exactly this. As someone with 22q deletion syndrome, I'm going through the exact same reputation amongst strangers as your late cousin (so sorry to hear of her loss) went through. I struggle to walk long distances and can't stand for more than 15 minutes without needing to sit down, which has caused many people try to argue with me on public transport and refuse to offer me a seat, simply because "I don't look disabled". I've even been told to make room for a passenger because they were apparently more worthy of having a seat than me. People are naturally ignorant about invisible illnesses and disabilities and it causes a great strain on the daily lives of those who suffer from them and I'm sure the same is for MM, too.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 AM
Majesty

When I read these stories I cannot help but wonder if MM has been treated with greater kindness and announcing her condition and prognosis have allowed others there with 'Invisible Illnesses to feel validated.

I hope that MM has a glorious life wringing every drop of joy from it.

Tags
crown prince haakon, crown princess mette-marit, general news, norwegian royal family general news, prince haakon general news, princess mette-marit, princess mette-marit general news