The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-20-2018, 03:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

How come we don't see his shoes?

Old 07-20-2018, 03:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

A Big Thank you to the photograther for this!!!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2018, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent

So cute to see Ingrid and Maud comforting each other. They seem to be best friends.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:56 PM
Royal Highness

How nice to see Martha Louise and Maud. Looks like the girls enjoy each other's company!
Old 07-20-2018, 04:45 PM
Heir Apparent

The photos was taken by Lise Åserud from NTB Scanpix. Here are some more:

https://scanpix.no/spWebApp/preview/editorial/td08a563
https://scanpix.no/spWebApp/preview/editorial/td089f4f
https://scanpix.no/spWebApp/preview/editorial/td089f58
https://scanpix.no/spWebApp/preview/editorial/td089e0b
Old 07-20-2018, 04:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sverre Magnus couldn't look more Norwegian if he tried!

All Norwegian boys and young men are required to be blonde or blondish and blue eyed, with the hair carefully combed to one side.
If they are not born with a cleft in their chin, the national health service will ensure they get one. Even Kirk Douglas had one made for a movie about the Telemark Saboteurs, in order for him to look like a 100 % authentic Norwegian.

And come summer they put on heavy-duty desert boots and shorts and march up and down the nearest mountains. In shirt-sleeves of course and carrying a rug-sack 24/7.
They do that until Jorkes-Day on 16 September, where they put on their winter-gear.
It's true. Says so in their Constitution.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:09 PM
Majesty

And where are Martha Louise's younger daughters?
Old 07-20-2018, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, according to Norwegian media, neither them or Marius were there.

So where were they?
I have no idea, but perhaps they were with Ari or with some friends.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Thank you to those who shared these photos - it was a nice surprise as I'd forgotten it was Haakon's birthday today.
Ingrid Alexandra seems to have a lively and bubbly personality, it was cute to see her put her arm around Maud Angelica. Since Sverre Magnus was there I do wonder where the other Behn girls were. Perhaps they don't like the public sphere as much and chose to spend the day in a more private manner.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-20-2018, 06:20 PM
Royal Highness

I'd say it is rather normal for nieces not to be at their uncle's birthday. It's great if they can participate (Maud!) but equally fine if they don't (Leah and Emma). Marius' absence is a little different as we are talking about his stepfather's birthday. However, he is probably trying to keep a low profile, so if that's the reason behind that makes sense - and he has been missing in the past - as a young adult he is free to spend his summer as he pleases.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Sverre Magnus couldn't look more Norwegian if he tried!

All Norwegian boys and young men are required to be blonde or blondish and blue eyed, with the hair carefully combed to one side.
If they are not born with a cleft in their chin, the national health service will ensure they get one. Even Kirk Douglas had one made for a movie about the Telemark Saboteurs, in order for him to look like a 100 % authentic Norwegian.

And come summer they put on heavy-duty desert boots and shorts and march up and down the nearest mountains. In shirt-sleeves of course and carrying a rug-sack 24/7.
They do that until Jorkes-Day on 16 September, where they put on their winter-gear.
It's true. Says so in their Constitution.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Here are two English articles about it:

Crown Prince Haakon celebrated his birthday at Mågerø with the family – Royal Central
Quote:
On Friday, large parts of the Norwegian Royal Family were gathered to celebrate Crown Prince Haakon who was 45-years-old. They celebrated the big day at the Royal Family’s country house at Mågerø in Tjøme, where the whole family where gathered for a private birthday celebration.

Even though it was a half-jubilee, the celebration was marked quietly. Despite the fact that one day he will take over the throne and fill the shoes of his father, King Harald, usually royal birthdays in Norway are celebrated the same way as for the most Norwegians.
The Crown Prince celebrated his birthday at Mågerø - Norway Today
Quote:
“The Crown Prince celebrated the day privately with his close family, and no official mark of the day was announced, ”said Guri Varpe, communications manager at the Palace to NTB news.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

CP Mette Marit share a picture with a moon and her son from last night:

"Magnus and the moon"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlwEUGaj...rownprincessmm
Old 08-10-2018, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

This was discussed in this thread: General News & Information for King Harald V and Queen Sonja: 2006 -

But now we have moved into something that fits better here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
That's interesting!
Please remind me, who are these politicians?
If they are republicans/far left wing, it really doesn't matter.

But if they are from the center and right parties it's perhaps more worrying.
At what party-political level are these politicians?
What's the history of these politicians?
Do they have a history of criticizing Haakon?
And what was the reaction from the party political top?

Let me explain:
If it's say a center-right politician, pretty far down the hierarchy (back-bencher) it really doesn't matter. That politician may actually mean what he/she is saying, but is hardly speaking on behalf of the party.
But if the politician has a medium level position within the party, say being the spokesperson in a more heavy political field, like economy or foreign politics. Then he is most likely speaking unofficially on behalf of the party.
If it's even higher up, say deputy party leader or a minister, then the politician is "unofficially officially" speaking on behalf of the party!

The reaction from the party top is telling as well. If the party top goes out at once an whacks the politician on the head, the statement is not on behalf of the party.
If they don't or it's only a half-hearted whack, the statement is at least finding a lot of sympathy within the party.

Okay, some politicians have a history of speaking out about absolutely everything including the royals. Sometimes that's how they are and sometimes that's their job. They send up trial-balloons, political decoys, start debates and so on. - Sometimes however they are an unofficial "tapping the finger on the table". I.e. it's an unofficial political: "Hey Haakon, listen..."

However, if the politician has a history of criticizing Haakon, it could be because the politician is genuinely worried about Haakon and dislike him and/or the advisors around Haakon. Or he is a raised party-political index finger. - Here it's the party-top's reaction that is telling. (See also paragraph above.)
If the party leaderships whacks him on the head, he is merely annoying, also within the party.
If they don't, it's either because he is speaking on behalf of the party i.e. the party is annoyed at Haakon as well, at least to some extent. Or he is a decoy.

- Isn't politics fun?
Again, great questions from you!

And yes, politics is fun (almost as fun as royalty).

Well, Totland & Bomann-Larsen (both monarchists BTW) has not revealed who these politicians are, but we have no reason to doubt what they are saying, since both of them are known to be very serious/reliable.

And NRK's political commentator, Magnus Takvam (don't know whether he is a monarchist or republican); editor and political commentator in the Liberal conservative Newspaper Aftenposten, Harald Stanghelle (republican, but very serious) & political editor in liberal Newspaper Dagens Næringsliv, Kjetil B. Alstadheim (republican, but quite serious) have also mentioned that there are politicians in the Storting and the government who worry about Haakon. - Especially about him being ''too political''.

Why not speak out? Well, out of respect for the King, politicians are generally very careful when it comes to criticizing the CP couple publicly.
At least, that's what Totland & Alstadheim have said.

But there are some notable exceptions, especially when they took the children out of the public school in 2014:

Martin Kolberg: A powerful pro-monarchy MP for the pro-monarchy centre-left Labour Party since 2009.
Spokesman for the party on royal issues from 2013 to 2017.
Leader of the Standing Committee on Scrutiny and Constitutional Affairs in the Storting from 2013 to 2017.
Prior to that, he was the party's general secretary from 2001 to 2009.
Said that the CP couple's decision was ''a very clear move away from being part of the people, and a step towards the end of the monarchy.''
History of criticizing Haakon/MM before that? No.
Reaction from the party's political top? Well, Labour leader Jonas Gahr Støre didn't like the ''end of the monarchy'' part, so he put Trond Giske (pro-monarchy Labour MP and friend of the CP couple) on the case instead.

Knut Arild Hareide: Pro-monarchy leader of the Pro-monarchy centred Christian Democratic Party.
Said that ''it's a problem that the CP couple chose such an expensive private school that the vast majority of people would never be able to afford.''

Per Olaf Lundteigen: A highly respected pro-monarchy MP for the pro-monarchy centred Centre Party from 1993 to 1997, and from 2005-present.
Spokesman for the party on royal issues from 2013 to 2017.
Said that the CP couple were ''bad role models.''
Reaction from the party's political top? Nothing, but pretty sure they were in agreement with him.

Even Erna Solberg (the pro-monarchy prime minister and leader of the pro-monarchy centre-right Conservative Party) & Jonas Gahr Støre (pro-monarchy leader of the Labour Party, and friend of the CP couple) expressed themselves critically about the decision, although they were of course much more careful than the people mentioned above.

And when the CP couple were holidaying on a luxury yacht in 2015 (the co-called ''boat-chandal''), several pro-monarchy MPs were again out in the media and criticized them.

And then we have Per Sandberg: A controversial, populist, republican MP for the pro-monarchy right-winged Progress Party from 1997 to 2017.
Deputy leader of the Party since 2006.
Minister of Fisheries since 2015.
He criticized Haakon for being friends with Labour-politicians, and accused him ''of being left-wing'' in 2014.
He has also accused him of ''being a Labour Party supporter, and for interfering in politics''.
Reaction from others in the party? Nothing, but pretty sure most of them were in agreement with him.

Yes, he is a republican, but since he is the party's deputy leader, I chose to list him here.

I think I describe Sandberg very well (if I'm allowed to say that) in this post, which was also a response to you BTW: Prime Ministers, and the constitutional role of the Norwegian Monarch
Old 08-10-2018, 12:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks for a most interesting reply!

Nothing less could be expected from you.

Well, well, well, I won't pretend to know a lot about Norwegian politics, but looking at it from a detached point of view, that's not just a warning shot about not becoming elitist, it a salvo!

If they are the official party spokespersons for royal matters (interesting you have such a post) then they are officially speaking on behalf of the party, with the party backing them up.
Magnus Takvem seems to have gone a little too far about being too elitist being a danger for the monarchy, but otherwise he has the party behind him.
And I noticed that they are not novices. They are all experienced politicians.
One is a former MP and some are party leaders, it can't get any higher!

Per Sandberg, he may be republican, but he is the party leader for a most influential party. Since he is the party leader and there is no reaction from the rest of the party, unsurprisingly, this is the official political stance on the subject.
Interestingly he is basically accusing Haakon and Mette-Marit for being what in Denmark is called "kultur-radikal", Almost the worst thing you can be called today! "Kultur-radikal" = intellectual/humanist big-city elitist with no connection with ordinary people. (End definition.)

I didn't realize the criticism was on this level!

That most of them are pro-monarchy or even monarchists doesn't really concern me that much. Many monarchists have a tendency to very conservative, often conservative to the point of being out of touch with population as a whole.
It's their positions within the parties that are telling.

Thus ends my political amateur analysis.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Muhler, and likewise to you!

Well, Norway is an egalitarian society, where the Law of Jante is still very present.

So when the CP couple takes their children out of the public school, or choose to spend their holiday on rich-peoples yachts, then both politicians, commentators, professors and ordinary people will react pretty strongly.
Why? Because it breaks with what the media have always described as ''Det Norske Folkemonarkiet'' (the Norwegian People's Monarchy).
And I must admit that I often takes myself in agreeing with some of the criticism, must be the egalitarian Norwegian in me.

Well, this was it, at least for now.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yeah, well. If that's the worst thing people have to complain about the Norwegian monarchy isn't in direct danger.
It may become less popular for a period, but not in danger.

I can easily imagine ten other things that are happening in other monarchies that potentially could be a danger, but the CP-couple being too elitist is not among them.
And much depends on Ingrid. If she turns out to be perceived as elitist too, the monarchy may begin to be considered irrelevant to most Norwegians. But that's still a couple of decades into the future.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Fully agree!
And as I wrote in post 3 & 9 in the "Finances and Employees of the Norwegian Royal Family" thread in May (where I listed a bunch of reasons, for those who are interested), the monarchy is in pretty rude health and will most likely continue to be that under King Haakon VIII as well.
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
Heir Apparent

CP MM is 45 today:

The day is according to TV2's royal expert Kjell Arne Totland celebrated privately with family and friends at Skaugum, where she is awakened with song, homemade cake and gifts.
MM has since 2001 also invited family and friends to a small private andakt (devotional gathering) in the Palace Chapel a bit later in the day.

Media coverage:
It's been talked about on TV2 News Channel, and there are several articles about it.
Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks, Royal Norway.

Out of curiosity: Is this an official flag day in Norway? And are there other ways the birthday of a crown princess of Norway is marked officially?
- Say the NRF and therefore Mette-Marit mentioned in the Sunday sermons? (As a recommendation to the priests from the ministry of church, I mean.)

Tags
crown prince haakon, crown princess mette-marit, general news, norwegian royal family general news, prince haakon general news, princess mette-marit, princess mette-marit general news