Frederik, Haakon & Victoria's Visit to Svalbard: June 21-27, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe how much younger Fred looks. I think he really needed to be with his two pals Victoria & Haakon, and I'm sure this brings back Fred's Greenland adventure.
On July 2nd Fred is off to Spain, and hopefully will be able to spend sometime with Felipe & Letizia

I can't believe how much younger Fred looks. I think he really needed to be with his two pals Victoria & Haakon, and I'm sure this brings back Fred's Greenland adventure.
On July 2nd Fred is off to Spain, and hopefully will be able to spend sometime with Felipe & Letizia

I agree, Fred looks as though a great weight has been lifted from his shoulders for a few days, and he does look 10 years younger. Being with his peers, people he can truly trust, is something that should be arranged more frequently. No-one - not even their spouses or partners - could truly understand their position and the difficulties. That is one special little club of three.

Out of curiosity, what common language did they speak on the trip? I assume that their three languages are very similar in form, but very different. In the video, they're clearly not speaking English together, it's clearly a Scandianavian language. I would think all three know a bit of the other two, but is there some common Scandianavian language, or what is it they're speaking?

According to a newspaper - don't remember which one - they each speak their native language - but understand each other perfectly - just like most Swedes, Danes and Norweigians.

Yes, they all speak in their respective language and not a common language. The Scandinavian languages are very similar, and though they are not classified as a common language, they are closely related and can be understood as different accents/dialects of the same language. For the most part Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are understood across the three borders and nationalities. Quite a lot of words and grammar do differ between the languages, but since people from an early stage in some way or other is in contact with the other Scandinavian languages than their own, children learn at least some words and expressions that do not mean the same in all languages. There can be confusion and misunderstandings when what is being said in one language is perceived to mean something else than what the speaker intended, but for the most part the differences between the languages is a cause for jokes and humour. It is also common to mix the languages together, and can be used to bridge the languages together or just for fun. I would assume the same is the case between the three royal heirs.

On a side not note: since in many ways the Scandinavian people are very much alike and share both a common history, language and a strong feeling of kin-manship, we do like to make good (and on occasion bad) natured fun about and with each other. At times, it might seem that we do not get along, especially if the name-calling and bickering get very vocal and loud. It is like between siblings really, with rivalry, competition, respect and love.

Wow, that's really cool! Thanks vestfoldlilja!

They all look like they are having a wonderful time on this trip. It is nice to see everyone looking so happy and relaxed in all of these photos. They seem so comfortable and affectionate with each other. It is really a beautiful thing to see.

Thanks for the videos Josefine and Lena. Very informative about both the environmental issues and the CP's.

.....and wonderfull picturs of a beautiful and unik nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom