Frederik, Haakon & Victoria's Visit to Svalbard: June 21-27, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
The heirs to the Scandinavian thrones will visit Svalbard and the areas around the islands, 21-27 June 2008.

All three of them are protectors of the International Polar Year in their respective countries.

They'll start in Longyearbyen, on the 21, by entering the Swedish research vessel IB "Oden", which is on a research mission in the area. During their visit, there will be scientific lectures by Nordic polar researchers.

They will visit the Norwegian research station, Ny Ålesund on the 26th.

De skandinaviska tronföljarna till polarområdena i gemensam miljömanifestation - Kungahuset [NS4 version]
kongehuset.no - Skandinavias tronfølgere til Svalbard

Se og Hør speculated this weekend that the Crown Prince Family would spend the beginning of their summervacation at Svalbard for a sort of adventour vacation, and further wrote that Haakon loves Svalbrard and woudl love to show it to his family, and this seems now the be even more sure when looking at this press release:

Crown Princess Victoria, Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit will visit Longyearbyen on June 27th

The agend will invlude a visit to the polarflock kindergarden, a tour of Longyearbyen with cultural performances, and a visit to the university center of Svalabard.
The visit ends with a lunch at Sysselmannen.

I cant imagine Mette-Marit flying all this way if it was not that they were going on vacation there afterwords. Haakon and Victoria coul dhave done this alone if she was not going there anyhow. Hopefully they let the press have some pictures of the kids at Svalbard also.
kongehuset.no - Kongelig besøk i Longyearbyen

Se og Hør speculated this weekend that the Crown Prince Family would spend the beginning of their summervacation at Svalbard for a sort of adventour vacation, and further wrote that Haakon loves Svalbrard and woudl love to show it to his family, and this seems now the be even more sure when looking at this press release:

Crown Princess Victoria, Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit will visit Longyearbyen on June 27th

The agend will invlude a visit to the polarflock kindergarden, a tour of Longyearbyen with cultural performances, and a visit to the university center of Svalabard.
The visit ends with a lunch at Sysselmannen.

I cant imagine Mette-Marit flying all this way if it was not that they were going on vacation there afterwords. Haakon and Victoria coul dhave done this alone if she was not going there anyhow. Hopefully they let the press have some pictures of the kids at Svalbard also.
kongehuset.no - Kongelig besøk i Longyearbyen

It seems odd that Mette-Marit joins them for this - and Frederik stops his trip a day early. :ermm:

It seems odd that Mette-Marit joins them for this - and Frederik stops his trip a day early. :ermm:
There is a big military function on in Denmark, and the entire Danish Royal Family is expected to attend.

Last edited:
I would be strange for Mette-Marit to come all this way just for this day if they were not doing something else afterwords, but if they are going on vacation there, then not so strange, and as the school summer vacation starts at that point also its perfect time to bring the kids to see Svalbard. Im sure esepcially Marius would really love it there. The other twp might be a bit smal maybe?

A picture of Mette-Marit i have not seen before, seems to be taken during her last visit to Svalbard this winter
Svalbardposten

Crown princess Victoria, crown prince Haakon and crown prince Frederik started yesterday their arctic expedition on the icebreaker Oden.
Aftonbladet/Isprinsessan
Victoria was in a very good mood last evening, when she was starting her arctic expedition with Haakon and Frederik. She said that she had heard the press talking about Daniel Westling´s move to Drottningholm castle estates, but she didn´t want to talk about it.
The three royal heirs will be at the Oden for six days together with 21 crew members and 37 other passengers.
During the trip they will be shown research techniques and test equipment used in polar experiments.
The idea to this joint trip came from king Carl Gustaf three years ago, told Victoria. But just now the three of them could make it happen it because of their busy agendas.
Frederik said that it will be great to experience this trip together and learn about the climate change.
Haakon said that he was proud to show this part of Norway to Victoria and Frederik and Victoria was proud that they do it at a swedish icebreaker.
Siste/Kronprinsmøte

Photos:
Getty Images gallery

Last edited:
LadyFinn, thanks for the informations and links about trip with icebreaker Oden!
I hope, we will see more information about there six days trip about learning climate change!

I know that sometimes we can get a bit confused about the royals and photo opportunity vs. royals and doing things argument ;) - so here is a link to the International Polar Year (in English), so those who want to can read more about the organization Haakon, Victoria and Frederik are all patrons of :flowers:

Last edited:
The three royal heirs will be at the Oden for six days together with 21 crew members and 37 other passengers.
During the trip they will be shown research techniques and test equipment used in polar experiments.
The idea to this joint trip came from king Carl Gustaf three years ago, told Victoria. But just now the three of them could make it happen it because of their busy agendas.
Frederik said that it will be great to experience this trip together and learn about the climate change.
Haakon said that he was proud to show this part of Norway to Victoria and Frederik and Victoria was proud that they do it at a swedish icebreaker.

What I really like about this trip is that the three of them is bringing the scandinavian countryes together in an way - and I do know that I am overstating - that has not been seen since the Kalmar Recess. This is a small vision of what is to come to pass:flowers:.

Last edited:
On the news today, I saw a segment about the trip. All three looked very happy, relaxed and they very clearly enjoy each others company. It was one really sweet moment in my opinion, where Crown Prince Haakon says it is nice for him to show this side of Norway to the others. Where upon Crown Princess Victoria laughing and leaning towards him say "on a Swedish ship". They all have a laugh about that and the Crown Princess turns to Crown Prince Frederik, hugging him saying "with a kind/good Dane with us". Nice to see them have fun with the different Scandinavian countries and way of life like us regular folk do.

It was also mentioned that they would not get special treatment, so their sleeping arrangement and everything else will be sparse, but I think it was Crown Prince Frederik who said that would be fine.
All three mentioned this was a trip they were looking forward to and were glad they got to experience it together.

"Are you going to have a party?" one of the journalists asked before they boarded the ship.
"When we are together it is always a party," Victoria said. :D

On the news today, I saw a segment about the trip. All three looked very happy, relaxed and they very clearly enjoy each others company. It was one really sweet moment in my opinion, where Crown Prince Haakon says it is nice for him to show this side of Norway to the others. Where upon Crown Princess Victoria laughing and leaning towards him say "on a Swedish ship". They all have a laugh about that and the Crown Princess turns to Crown Prince Frederik, hugging him saying "with a kind/good Dane with us".

That's so sweet of Victoria. :wub: I'm so glad they finally made this trip.

Last edited:
Tronarvingene imponert over isbjørnen - Nyheter - Kongelige - Aftenposten.no

Article and two pictures.

Crown Princess Victoria on seeing a polar bear: "I was to cold to smile as wide as I wanted to." And about the nature: "It's poetic/lyrical."

Crown Prince Frederik said " It's fantastic. Something man-made meeting nature."

Crown Prince Haakon who, as his counter parts, had not been that up-close to a polar bear ,watched it closely through binoculars

The three heirs arrived in Ny-Ålesund Thursday where they boarded. They took the gondola up to Zeppelinfjellet (a mountain) where they visited the research station Sverdrupstasjonen.

Video: Victoria imponert over isbjørnen - Kjendis.no

From kongehuset.no: kongehuset.no - Forskning på miljøgifter

kongehuset.no - Forskningstokt i polarisen

Last edited:
Could anyone translate this article please?? Byttet ut svaberg med Svalbard - SEHER.NO : Norske kongehus
Are the kids going with them to Svalbard?
As Larzen guessed earlier in this thread - Haakon and Mette-Marit have taken the opportunity to have parts of their summer holiday at Svalbard with the children. According to Se & Hør, they were there a week before Victoria and Frederik arrived, and will be there for a week after as well. :flowers:

As Larzen guessed earlier in this thread - Haakon and Mette-Marit have taken the opportunity to have parts of their summer holiday at Svalbard with the children. According to Se & Hør, they were there a week before Victoria and Frederik arrived, and will be there for a week after as well.

Thank you :flowers:

Video of Haakon, Mette-Marit and Victoria: Svalbardposten

Article: Hjertelig gjensyn - SEHER.NO : Norske kongehus

Sweet picture of Victoria and Mette-Marit: http://www.media3.allerinternett.no/php/obj.phpi?o=2660945&w=282&h=0&ee=1214564886

Last edited:
Crown Princess Mette- Marit of Norway Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Crown Prince Haakon of Norway visited Longyearbyen, Svalbard Friday June 27 2008. Photo Fredrik Sandberg / SCANPIX / Kod 10080

*Pic1* *Pic2* *Pic3* *Pic4* *Pic5*

*Pic6* *Pic7* *Pic8* *Pic9* *Pic10*

*Pic11* *Pic12* *Pic13* *Pic14*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom