Discussion about Mette-Marit's past

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Letizia is divorced, that is all I know about her past, nothing wrong about that
MM had a child, nothing wrong with that.
It is the drug connection which caused a problem in Norway. Also he lacking CV

That beeing said its not like the born royal are any better.
Albert: Child out of wedlock
Juan Carlos: Cheated on his wife, makes him a lousy husband (considering he is married to a class act) but that doesn`t make him a bad king.
Dont even get me starting on Ernest August, Caroline, Stephanie.:(

I also find it strang how judgement is always placed on women and not on men.

Like many said that they wantet Felipe to marry a royal, catholic, virginal princess, when there were no signs whatsoever that he him selves lived up til especially that las part.

That beeing said I personally do not find Maxima, Mary, Mette-Marit and Letizia the best choices, Mathilde and Sophie of Lichtensteinin is IMO in a class of their own. But the princes has made their choice, they did not ask whay I thought (wonder why?:p ) The situation is as it is and now there is only to make the best of the situation.

Well Letizia had a much more coloured past and there are pics to prove it. But she, like MM, got over it b/f she met Felipe so they have a clean slate w/ me. ANd you are right I don't like the princes choices except for Mathilde and Sophie

Larzen said:
That beeing said its not like the born royal are any better.
Albert: Child out of wedlock
Juan Carlos: Cheated on his wife, makes him a lousy husband (considering he is married to a class act) but that doesn`t make him a bad king.
Dont even get me starting on Ernest August, Caroline, Stephanie.:(

I also find it strang how judgement is always placed on women and not on men.

Like many said that they wantet Felipe to marry a royal, catholic, virginal princess, when there were no signs whatsoever that he him selves lived up til especially that las part.
You make a very good point; blame is always cast upon the women but none on the men, and the men are capable of just as many negative and inappropriate things as the women.

Add to your list of adulterous men, Constantine of Greece and Ernst August of Hanover -- who cheated on his wife Chantal with Caroline.

And before Felipe and Frederik met their respective wives, their dating life wasn't exactly a model of wholesomeness with both men dating models who bared themselves completely.

Yes, Mette-Marit isn't a model woman to become a princess. She's done some less than perfect things in her life but so has everyone. Maybe if she could've predicted and foreshadowed that she would one day be the Crown Princess of Norway she would've abstained from doing those drugs or going to that first rave. But she's apologized for the sins of her past and is leading a very different life now; it's not as if as the Crown Princess of Norway she is still doing drugs and attending raves.

Reina said:
Well Letizia had a much more coloured past and there are pics to prove it. But she, like MM, got over it b/f she met Felipe so they have a clean slate w/ me. ANd you are right I don't like the princes choices except for Mathilde and Sophie
What pictures to prove Letizia's coloured past ? You have some to show us ?

Last edited:
Noooo. Unofrtunately I saw some, but I could not help it. I was reading an article online about her and there they were, but they were not wholesome at all. I quickly left that site. But I heard that there was also a painting of her that was quite suggestive.

Reina said:
Noooo. Unofrtunately I saw some, but I could not help it. I was reading an article online about her and there they were, but they were not wholesome at all. I quickly left that site. But I heard that there was also a painting of her that was quite suggestive.
Do you realize that pictures can be faked? Anything can be done to pictures. If there were truly pictures of her that were not wholesome they would have surfaced a long time ago.

Now that I have put my two cents in I think we need to get back to topic. So... what's new with Haakon and Mette-Marit?

In my humble opinion, I think that she has done a good job in adapting and carrying on with dignity and without scandal. Let's leave her past in the past. We are not here to judge.

Reina said:
Well, there were plenty of fake pictures online. Regarding the painting, both royal house and the painter (Waldo) denied that she posed for the painting. One of the two paintings was done in 2000 long after Letizia left Mexico.

But I read it on like the bbc and they said that it was credible. why would ppl make up a lie like that against her?

BBC was showing her coloured past and pictures to prove it, and the rest of media outlets failed to echo the news. Sounds like a fiction to me. I did see a put-together fake picture with Letizia's news anchorwoman face and a bikini model picture showing her breast (originally I thought that was Eva's body, but it was not Eva either) in the European independant news (it appeared in some of the websites first), but never in BBC.

ok. it was a long time ago so i really can't remember. but i was on some spanish-american forums and ppl were calling her whore and stuff. but anyway she is the princess now and that is alll that matters

Can we please get back to the topic?

Thank you.

Norwegianne,
Royal Forums Moderator.

Besides I don't see why ppl can look down on her, but praise other CP's who have done worse things (like letizia and her past).
what do you mean with letizia and her past? i dont think letizia was the best option but i really think mm's past was worst. letizia has a great carrer as journalist and the only thing she has done was just being a divorcee.

That discussion does not belong in this forum. If you wish to debate Letizia further, please go to the appropriate forum to do so. In this forum it is considered off-topic, as it have very little to do with Mette-Marit and Haakon.

Thank you.

Norwegianne
The Royal Forums moderator

sorry, nowegianne. i just wanted to say...
dont worry, no more conversations about letizia.. :)

Dennism said:
Well, I think that is pretty bad. But that´s just me. I´m ridiculously straight on some of these things. But I don´t preach. Anyway, she has more than made up for her life ever since. Redemption, some might say.
Why bad? It was only bad for her. When people suffer from mental disorders (depressions, eating disorders, neuroses) then people feel pity for them. But when people take drugs, then they are sleazebags. Why? What´s the difference? Aren´t all these people searching for the right place in life?
Well, of course a princess has to be a role model and shouldn´t persuade people to consume drugs indirectly. But MM isn´t a drug consumer anymore, she has stopped it and has accepted that her experiences weren´t good for her and now she helps people, who have problems in their life. This is great. So please all stop to put crown princess Mette Marit down and to blame her for her past and think about it, how it affects your own life, when you treat/face other ppl with hostilty and intolerance.
Sorry, when I seem now like a know-it-all. I usually don´t care for hostile comments on Message boards on the new crown princesses, but it just makes me angry, that MM is always judged because of her past, but never because of the things she´s doing now-in present.

Lena said:
Why bad? It was only bad for her. When people suffer from mental disorders (depressions, eating disorders, neuroses) then people feel pity for them. But when people take drugs, then they are sleazebags. Why? What´s the difference? Aren´t all these people searching for the right place in life?
Well, of course a princess has to be a role model and shouldn´t persuade people to consume drugs indirectly. But MM isn´t a drog consumer anymore, she has stopped it and has accepted that her experiences weren´t good for her and now she helps people, who have problems in their life. This is great. So please all stop to put crown princess Mette Marit down and to blame her for her past and think about it, how it affects your own life, when you treat/face other ppl with hostilty and intolerance.
Sorry, when I seem now like a know-it-all. I usually don´t care for hostile comments on Message boards on the new crown princesses, but it just makes me angry, that MM is always judged because of her past, but never because of the things she´s doing now-in present.
You're not being hostile at all Lena. I think you've made a very fair and decent point about the different treatments and standards all the various new princesses are being held up to. Don't get me wrong, I really like Letizia but she is often praised for her past career as a journalist but yet Mette-Marit is scrutinized for her past.

While someone's past is very important as it has led them to the path they are presently on, I think what someone does in the present and how they've re-shaped or changed their is life is just as important. Mette-Marit really turned her life around, and while she may not be some people's ideal princess, she is an example of how one can improve one's life and be free of past problems to go on and lead a happy (clean) life. And by the same token, someone who had a very good life without being involved in drugs or other "negative" things, can just as easily become addicted to drugs and alcohol.

Reina said:
Being a royal is not an easy thing. Not just any commoner can be a royal. ANd it is much more than cutting ribbons and stuff. It is having your whole entire life splashed out and analyzed in front of your country and the whole world. Just think about what if a royal just wanted to go out in public and take a walk. Could he/she do that comfortably? No way. There is so much sacrifice in being a royal adn I am sure Mette-Marit is learning that. But isn't it great that none of the baggage of the past is instilled in her. Her story is a true fairy tale. I don't know what religion some of you are, but Christians are not supposed to look down on someone just b/c he/she had a colored past. Mette Marit had a colored past, but it is in the past. Now if she had murdered/did something really perve than I would not see Haakon marrying her, but she didn't. So I think ppl should not be so hard on her.

Besides I don't see why ppl can look down on her, but praise other CP's who have done worse things (like letizia and her past). I don't look down on either of them. Ppl pcik on Mette Marit cause she has a child and that is wrong.
Hello Reina, if you said being royal not an easy thing, how can MM with lack of CV and no significant previous job can do it ? is she smart or something ?

How mercyfull you are, yes in any religion we have to mercy to any ppl. what MM past is the responbility of MM to God . I don't blame MM past, it's up to MM because when MM did wild past MM mature already, she made with full awareness. I just thought Haakon was not wise when selecting the bride. Nothing can bring to the ppl of Norway except delivering an heir.

I think everyone should stop talking about Mette-Marit's past & suitability as crown princess. This was already much debated in Norway before/during the engagement. The fact is they are married with the permision & support of the King and government. She will be the next Queen of Norway and her daughter will be crown princess. Does everyone agree that she is the ideal wife for the crown prince? Of course not, no royal has a approval rating of 100%. Whether everyone likes it or not, she is the Crown Princess of Norway and she is here to stay. I do not see what the point is of contining to discuss her past and suitability. I think it is time that the people in this forum accept this and move on...the people of Norway have managed to.

theprincess said:
I think everyone should stop talking about Mette-Marit's past & suitability as crown princess. This was already much debated in Norway before/during the engagement. The fact is they are married with the permision & support of the King and government. She will be the next Queen of Norway and her daughter will be crown princess. Does everyone agree that she is the ideal wife for the crown prince? Of course not, no royal has a approval rating of 100%. Whether everyone likes it or not, she is the Crown Princess of Norway and she is here to stay. I do not see what the point is of contining to discuss her past and suitability. I think it is time that the people in this forum accept this and move on...the people of Norway have managed to.
amen! i couldn't agree with you more

In a post on this thread someone asked the question what the difference was between someone who took drugs and a mental illness. As someone with a mental illness (depression and anxeity) I can say there is a big difference. If you have a mental illness it is caused by a trama, or biological component. If you take drugs, you have made a concious choice to introduce a foreign substance to your body for the sake of altering how you feel and how your body functions. No one chooses a mental illness. I also get a bit angry when people say drugs/drinking are a disease. A disease is something like cancer, drink/drugs are a choice that alters your body chemistry. No one says "Oh I'll take a shot of cancer." I think making that assumption is an insult to cancer people, just as saying it is similar to mental illness. Drink/drugs are a character issue, a choice or flaw in your decision process. Yes, it can physically affect you, but it's cause is not routed in physical problems. You must introduce those problems into your body yourself. This is just my opinion, you can agree with it or not. But I felt compelled to answer as I hear the comparisons a lot and it angers me greatly. I mean no ill will towards anyone by this post. I don't mean to get off topic either, but I just had to say something.

I do agree, that Mette Marit's past is over, she didn't plan to marry a prince, she has made a good life for herself. Let us give her a chance to prove herself. If you look at royal history, those in the aristocracy don't always act well either.

Fashionista100 said:
In a post on this thread someone asked the question what the difference was between someone who took drugs and a mental illness. As someone with a mental illness (depression and anxeity) I can say there is a big difference. If you have a mental illness it is caused by a trama, or biological component. If you take drugs, you have made a concious choice to introduce a foreign substance to your body for the sake of altering how you feel and how your body functions. No one chooses a mental illness. I also get a bit angry when people say drugs/drinking are a disease. A disease is something like cancer, drink/drugs are a choice that alters your body chemistry. No one says "Oh I'll take a shot of cancer." I think making that assumption is an insult to cancer people, just as saying it is similar to mental illness. Drink/drugs are a character issue, a choice or flaw in your decision process. Yes, it can physically affect you, but it's cause is not routed in physical problems. You must introduce those problems into your body yourself. This is just my opinion, you can agree with it or not. But I felt compelled to answer as I hear the comparisons a lot and it angers me greatly. I mean no ill will towards anyone by this post. I don't mean to get off topic either, but I just had to say something.

I do agree, that Mette Marit's past is over, she didn't plan to marry a prince, she has made a good life for herself. Let us give her a chance to prove herself. If you look at royal history, those in the aristocracy don't always act well either.
I´ve compared those things. I for sure respect your opinion, but I want add one question: Which satisfied, secure, happy and mental healthy person would take drugs to escape from reality?! I guess you wouldn´t find many. People, who have their place in life (and who hadn´t terrible experiences in their past, and who have the luck to have inherited a sunny mood/mind from their ancestors) don´t feel the need to escape.
Further I wanted less to compare these problems, but I rather wanted to ask for more tolerance towards people (no matter, what they are or from what they suffer)

Wisnu said:
Hello Reina, if you said being royal not an easy thing, how can MM with lack of CV and no significant previous job can do it ? is she smart or something ?

How mercyfull you are, yes in any religion we have to mercy to any ppl. what MM past is the responbility of MM to God . I don't blame MM past, it's up to MM because when MM did wild past MM mature already, she made with full awareness. I just thought Haakon was not wise when selecting the bride. Nothing can bring to the ppl of Norway except delivering an heir.
Your past does not make you. Only what you learn and how you break away from your past makes you. Yeah MM had a dirty past, but what was inside her made her rise above it. Why must we look down on her. She had the qualities inside her to be the Crown Princess/future Queen even b/f she made those mistakes. WHy must we look down on ppl cuz of their past. WHat about Rahab? It was not about her past, but what she did to break away from it. MM is a great CP and Haakon loves her. Taht is all that matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I like Mette-Marit a lot for what she has achieved, I do think her past is a stain. It will always stay with her and people won't easily forget it.

Hannelore said:
Even though I like Mette-Marit a lot for what she has achieved, I do think her past is a stain. It will always stay with her and people won't easily forget it.
totally with you, hannelore. maybe people can "stop thinking" about her past, but it's nearly impossible it will be forgoten. come on, she will be the queen of norway... how can people forget her past? that would be quite incomprehensible...

Really Carlota, I dont know how well you know Norewgians, but to think that we have forgotten about MM "past" is rather..... We have not, some however dont care, other are more forgiving, some are not judgemental about people they dont know, and others think her past inapropriate. Some find her a good choice, others an OK choice and some find her a terrible choice.

There are several oppinions about her, and even those who have forgiven, or dosent care still remeber it, and if we should start to forget some paper will always remind us.

Her past is not a big issue in the Norwegian papers anylonger probably because it is just that, the past, It is something that will always be written about, just like Letizias divorce and Maximas father beeing part of a brutal dictatorship.

And I will repeat myself, what about the things some of the Kings and Princes of Europe have done, those who knew their destiny from birth.... Im not deffending MM, I have never done that, however I find it extremely annoying how one always expect a pure and clean past from the women and then look between the fingers with the lives some of the royal men has led.

Larzen said:
Really Carlota, I dont know how well you know Norewgians, but to think that we have forgotten about MM "past" is rather..... We have not, some however dont care, other are more forgiving, some are not judgemental about people they dont know, and others think her past inapropriate. Some find her a good choice, others an OK choice and some find her a terrible choice.

There are several oppinions about her, and even those who have forgiven, or dosent care still remeber it, and if we should start to forget some paper will always remind us.

Her past is not a big issue in the Norwegian papers anylonger probably because it is just that, the past, It is something that will always be written about, just like Letizias divorce and Maximas father beeing part of a brutal dictatorship.

And I will repeat myself, what about the things some of the Kings and Princes of Europe have done, those who knew their destiny from birth.... Im not deffending MM, I have never done that, however I find it extremely annoying how one always expect a pure and clean past from the women and then look between the fingers with the lives some of the royal men has led.
Very well said Larzen! Especially the last part. Mette-Marit and Haakon were both in their late-twenties when they met -- we cannot expect in this day and age perfectly clean pasts from either of them. Some pasts are a bit cleaner than others but to say that anyone in their late twenties is devoid of any history or past at all is to deny that they had a life before then.

Also, you make a very good point about the histories of the other princesses who have joined royal families in recent years. Maxima's father's history will always be part of the story of Maxima, just as Letizia's divorce and her journalism career, just as Marie-Chantal's wealthy father, just like Mathilde's noble roots, or Mary's Australian roots.

I applaud Norwegians for not dwelling on Mette-Marit's past; that speaks very highly of their tolerance of differences in how one leads one's life. It's unfortunate that some people dwell on her past so much that they can't see beyond what she has accomplished and achieved since marrying Haakon and all the changes she has undergone to become a role model.

The other thing, too, is that when one constantly and solely focuses on her past, one also negates that out of her past came a son whom she loves very much. And to deny Mette-Marit's past, whether you approve of it or not, is to deny a whole human being: Marius. How can anyone look at him (especially in the newest pictures from church -- thanks again Larzen!) and say that his mother's life, her past was wrong?

Alexandria said:
Very well said Larzen! Especially the last part. Mette-Marit and Haakon were both in their late-twenties when they met --

what she has accomplished and achieved since marrying Haakon and all the changes she has undergone to become a role model.

came a son whom she loves very much.
And to look at Haakon looking at Marius, there is no doubt in my mind that there is for Marius a special place in the mind of Haakon. Haakon - to me - seems absolutely entranced by Marius .... and absolutely bewitched by Mette-Merit, and completely wrapped around the little pinky of Ingrid.

... reflecting on the past, I think it took Mette-Marit more than a little while into her marriage with Haakon to realize the depth and breadth of Haakon's affection for her.

In my opinion, Mette-Marit is one of the best Crown princesses in Europe. She had a wild past, but she never did nothing wrong with anyone, except with herself. She seems very sweet and nice person. She was daughter of divorced parents, was not a rich girl and she had very problems in her life, so we have to understand some shyness ans some no savoir-faire while she's accting as a Princess. She admited that she didn't have the best behaviour in her past.I think people should see that she is a strong woman who wants to do her best.
I like almost all Crown Princesses, but what I can garantee for what I see and saw is that if any of them divorce will not be Mette-marit, she seems very, very happy with Haakon.
We can't forget that Mathilde was a noble and rich girl, so she had a very good preparation for her future role. Máxima was also a rich girl and she had a clan family, all the Zorreguieta are very close, and it gave her self-confidance. She's one of my favourit princesses!
Mary Donaldson seems a little arrogant for me, and she lived with other man for 7 (!)years and I don't think that is correct for a Future Queen.
Letizia is trying to do her best, and she's very pretty. She was divorced, but at least she marryied. Instead of that Mary didn't assume officially her relation and everyone speaks of her like if she was a very naif young girl when she married. I know, I know, that you all will beat me, but this is my opinion.
Mette-Marit lives in a country where the abortions are a very easy thing to do, and in spite of that, she had her son and God knows how difficult it was for her. She wanted Christenining Marius, so she is problably a religious person. She's very brave, and I'm sure she has a great Hearth.
So, please stop talking about her past, don't be Pharisaic about her. I'm Catholic and in my opinion no one shouldn't judge others. And Mette-Marit will be a Great-Great Queen for Norway!

Alexandria said:
Very well said Larzen! Especially the last part. Mette-Marit and Haakon were both in their late-twenties when they met -- we cannot expect in this day and age perfectly clean pasts from either of them. Some pasts are a bit cleaner than others but to say that anyone in their late twenties is devoid of any history or past at all is to deny that they had a life before then.

Also, you make a very good point about the histories of the other princesses who have joined royal families in recent years. Maxima's father's history will always be part of the story of Maxima, just as Letizia's divorce and her journalism career, just as Marie-Chantal's wealthy father, just like Mathilde's noble roots, or Mary's Australian roots.

I applaud Norwegians for not dwelling on Mette-Marit's past; that speaks very highly of their tolerance of differences in how one leads one's life. It's unfortunate that some people dwell on her past so much that they can't see beyond what she has accomplished and achieved since marrying Haakon and all the changes she has undergone to become a role model.

The other thing, too, is that when one constantly and solely focuses on her past, one also negates that out of her past came a son whom she loves very much. And to deny Mette-Marit's past, whether you approve of it or not, is to deny a whole human being: Marius. How can anyone look at him (especially in the newest pictures from church -- thanks again Larzen!) and say that his mother's life, her past was wrong?
i dont really agree in what you have said about denying a "whole human being", marius. i don t judge mm for having marius, or for the fact that she was a single mum when she married the crown prince. in fact, i think that's the loveliest part of mm, that one i like most of her. what i meant with that past was all the other things (the drug scene she was involved with and that tv show she went to, for example) but not marius.
about todays attire, i think it was quite good. i like seeing mm with that kind of hairdo's better than pony tails or just the hair with nothing on it. it seemed to be much more 'tidier' today. what i really didnt like were the brown shoes combined with the blue jacket.
ingrid was really cute today....

Back
Top Bottom