The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 04:23 AM
Aristocracy

Daughter for Haakon and Mette-Marit January 21, 2004

happy parents Mette-Marit and Hakoon

A princess is born
A daughter was born to Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit at 9:13 am on Wednesday. Both mother and child were well. The crown princess checked into the maternity ward at Norway's Rikshospitalet University Hospital at about 4 am. The child, their first together, will become second in line to the throne, after Crown Prince Haakon.

Old 01-21-2004, 04:25 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Yes, born at 9:14 AM CET on January 21, 2004.

Old 01-21-2004, 04:27 AM
Courtier

May she have long, happy, and prosperous life.

Sean.~
Old 01-21-2004, 04:37 AM
Commoner

i hope for the baby that her parents will give her a nice name....please not Ingeborg!!
Old 01-21-2004, 04:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Congrats The tv-channels are in it big now. Cannons will probably fire at 12 o'clock, if they can manage it. The bells in Oslo Rådhus will also play "royal music"
Old 01-21-2004, 04:38 AM
Majesty

In my excitement, I forgot to say, Congratulations Mette-Marit and Haakon.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by engelkristall@Jan 21st, 2004 - 4:37 am
i hope for the baby that her parents will give her a nice name....please not Ingeborg!!
Or Ragnhild (which is what I was hearing earlier in the week). But that's just my personal opinion. If it is a popular in Norway, so be it. I'm just so happy for the parents and for Nowregians.

Sean. ~
Old 01-21-2004, 04:46 AM
Aristocracy

Congratulations Mette-Marit and Haakon
21 January 2004
09:13

Good luck little princess

This early morning Little Princess was born Norway's Rikshospitalet University Hospital

http://www.rikshospitalet.no
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2004, 04:48 AM
Gentry

She had her daughter very quickly....
Old 01-21-2004, 04:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by CD.@Jan 21st, 2004 - 4:48 am
She had her daughter very quickly....
Not sure what you mean?
Old 01-21-2004, 04:53 AM
Gentry

I meant she had a short Labor. But that's to be expected with it being her second child.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:54 AM
Courtier

Congratulations to the happy family. :flower:

I hope to see the little princess' picture soon!
Old 01-21-2004, 04:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by CD.@Jan 21st, 2004 - 4:53 am
I meant she had a short Labor. But that's to be expected with it being her second child.
That's what I thought you meant, but wasn't sure because of the "..."

Sean
Old 01-21-2004, 04:57 AM
Majesty

So I was right. I mean I was told the right information. Yes. Anyway, brava to Mette-Marit. I know I couldn't have done it.

"Morsomt. Dette er historisk og noe helt nytt, sier Eva Nomeland som oppsøkte VG Nett på Rikshospitalet. "

Humorous. This is historic and utterly new or novel says Eva Nomeland for VG at the hospital.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean.~+Jan 21st, 2004 - 4:45 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sean.~ @ Jan 21st, 2004 - 4:45 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-engelkristall@Jan 21st, 2004 - 4:37 am
i hope for the baby that her parents will give her a nice name....please not Ingeborg&#33;&#33;
Or Ragnhild (which is what I was hearing earlier in the week). But that&#39;s just my personal opinion. If it is a popular in Norway, so be it. I&#39;m just so happy for the parents and for Nowregians.

Sean. ~ [/b][/quote]
Sean ~ How is that name pronounced in the US? Something which sounds like "Raaaanhild" with a silent "g"? She has an aunt (by marriage) who has that name. Any other names being bandied about, Sean ? I hope .. I hope .. I hope ??

Elizajane
Old 01-21-2004, 05:01 AM
Majesty

Congratulations Mette-Marit and Haakon

and to Norway

its time for me to go to school
so i hope you all keep posting and there will be a lot to read when i come home

I would like the name
Princess Josefina
then
Crown Princess Josefina
and in the end
Queen Josefina Of Norway
Old 01-21-2004, 05:02 AM
Heir Apparent

The girl will be baptized by the Bishop of Oslo.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:05 AM
Courtier

Well, it&#39;s like the future head of states are Queens&#33;

We have Princess Aiko if ever the Constitution will be changed that will allow her to be the crown princess of Japan. Then we have Princess Elisabeth of Belgium and Princess Anna-Catharina of Netherlands. We also have Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden. And a newly born one of Norway&#33;&#33;&#33;

I am so happy for the Crown Prince ,Crown Princess and to all the members of the Royal Family. Cheers also to all Norweigans..
Never let go of anyone that you could not go a day without thinking about. There just might be a very good reason why they're always on your mind. Sometimes, it's the brain that knows too well what the heart tries so hard to deny
~ ~ Anonymous ~ ~
Old 01-21-2004, 05:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Elizajane@Jan 21st, 2004 - 5:00 am

Sean ~ How is that name pronounced in the US? Something which sounds like "Raaaanhild" with a silent "g"? She has an aunt (by marriage) who has that name. Any other names being bandied about, Sean ? I hope .. I hope .. I hope ??

Elizajane
From my post in the "Name Haakon & Mette-Marit&#39;s baby"

Quote:
I know that during the war, when Crown Princess Märtha and her children were in the States Princess Ragnhild was nicknamed Running Hill, because her name was so difficult for American children to pronounce...&nbsp;

The a is longer than the typical american a , and the gn sound is soft, slightly similar to the soung English has in the end of pang, and hild is pronounced like in Hilda.

/ra:gnhIld/ Some Norwegian roll their r&#39;s while others don&#39;t, so that&#39;s an individual issue. The -d in the end might also be dropped.&nbsp;

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;

The crown prince will meet the press in the National Hospital in a couple of hours, reports the Palace.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:06 AM
Majesty

List of all of the Norwegian Queens:

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=209690

Here&#39;s a little history about the last Queen regent:

In 1368-70 Valdemar Atterdag had gained courage enough to challenge the Hanseatic League. Denmark tried to master the southwestern Baltic and end the Hansa&#39;s economic control there. But instead the League was united (the Cologne-federation) and decided to raise an armed force that then defeated the Danes decisively. The league then tried to dominate Denmark by means of a 15 year&#39;s contracted possession of castles and towns along Öresund.

After Valdemar Atterdag&#39;s death his five years old grandson Olav is elected King of Denmark - the alternative would have been the nephew of King Albrecht supported by the German emperor. But the emperor died. Olav&#39;s father was King Håkon of Norway, but the Danish realm is in the hands of his mother, Queen Margrete of Norway, the daughter of Valdemar Atterdag, who wasn&#39;t on speaking terms with her husband the king.

When King Håkon died his son Olav was still under age, only nine years old, and the queen ruled over both Norway and Denmark. The King Olav died however also (at the age of seventeen) and the son-son of the Swedish King Albrecht of Mecklenburg was closest to the throne.

The Danish nobility did however prefer the Norwegian queen for the German king and appointed her to regent with support of the Thing in Lund. Then the Norwegians elected her to regent, and finally the Swedish State Council and aristocracy chose to support her against King Albrecht in Sweden, who was beaten in a battle with Queen Margrete and together with his son Erik captured and imprisoned. (1395 he was rescued through Mecklenburg&#39;s war against the queen.)

Finally Bugislav, the nephew of Queen Margrete, is elected king (known as Erik of Pomerania) by the Norwegian state council with the queen as regent until he comes to age; then he is elected king in province after province of Denmark (1387) and so also by the Swedish state council (1389). Thereby the union was made legitimate, and in contrast to earlier occasions when one king ruled over two Scandinavian countries, this came to last for a long time.