Crown Princess Mette-Marit diagnosed with chronic lung disease: October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, as I wrote in post 80: She stopped after she was diagnosed with pneumonia in 2002, although she is still known (and photographed) as a ''party-smoker or occasional smoker.''
But as her doctor said in the court-statement: ''There is broad consensus that it is not related to environmental or lifestyle-factors, which is the case with other more common types of pulmonary fibrosis.'' ??

I then had the impression this comment was made to avoid new discussions about her younger years when she was using drugs.
Wish them all the best!

Anders Johan Stavseng, court reporter at Se og Hör, has spoken about Mette-Marit to Svensk Damtidning.

Mette-Marit struggles with severe lung disease. Reportedly, the situation with the Norwegian princess is worse than what we in Sweden have realized.
- Crown Princess Mette-Marit's health problems are very serious, says Anders Johan Stavseng, court reporter at Norwegian Se og Hör.
- Lung disease is only getting worse and worse.
Mette-Marit has remained in the shadows since she was diagnosed. Anders rarely sees her when he watches the royal representation missions.
- Mette-Merit is probably much sicker than she expresses. The Norwegians are very worried about her and Haakon. The royal couple is also getting old, and King Harald is struggling with illnesses, he says.
Crown Prince Haakon is obviously incredibly worried about his wife. Anders describes it as "a great burden resting on his shoulders".
- When he becomes king one day he will have a lot to do, since Mette-Marit hardly represents at all. Princess Märtha Louise also receives few assignments, and Norway does not have a Princess Madeleine or Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia who can step in, says Anders.
- But the Norwegians like Mette-Marit a lot and have a full understanding that she focuses on her health and the children.
Mette-Marit sjuk – så mår hon nu _ Svensk Dam

Thanks, LadyFinn.

But the credibility of Svensk Damtidning is not high, and I doubt a reporter from that weekly would be privy to so confidential information about a foreign primary royal.

So I think we can safely label this as: speculation.

I then had the impression this comment was made to avoid new discussions about her younger years when she was using drugs.
Wish them all the best!
Well, everything about this has been discussed over and over again at the time when they got married (2001/ 2002!)... So, there is really no need to talk about it any longer as everything that need to be said has long been said....

Well, everything about this has been discussed over and over again at the time when they got married (2001/ 2002!)... So, there is really no need to talk about it any longer as everything that need to be said has long been said....

I don't see how the speculative causes of her pulmonary fibrosis could have been discussed in 2001/2002, as her diagnosis was not known even to her at the time.

There is absolutely no known causal correlation between drug use and pulmonary fibrosis. Smoking can be a factor, but even that is random.

So stop making it Mette-Marits own fault.

There is absolutely no known causal correlation between drug use and pulmonary fibrosis. Smoking can be a factor, but even that is random.

So stop making it Mette-Marits own fault.

Who has been "making it Mette-Marit's own fault"? According to Helen.CH's interpretation, her doctors' announcement actively attempted to avoid causing speculation that her pulmonary diagnosis was the "fault" of any behavioral or lifestyle factors.

You! read your own post. It's called implying.

I don't see how the speculative causes of her pulmonary fibrosis could have been discussed in 2001/2002, as her diagnosis was not known even to her at the time.

Last edited:
:previous:

I have indeed read my own post, and it implies that no one was speculating in 2001/2002 that Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby would be diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis, even less the causes. I fail to see how it could be the opposite.

^^^Snort! Next you'll repeat that you are not biased against Mette-Marit. I'm already tired of this.

Please stay respectful towards each other and the people you discuss. Thank you!

I was reading through peoples posts here and touched with your affection and concern for Mette-Marit. I was also just over on her events thread noticing pictures of her currently looking pretty good.

Although I was a critical care RN for many years and primarily worked with cardiac patients, heart and lungs by function and proximity work closely together, so I have worked with pulmonary fibrosis patients at times over the years. I searched my literature in hopes, for those interested, to find a broad generic medical overview of pulmonary fibrosis for education purposes only.

I like the Mayo Clinic's overview and would like to leave it here for those interested.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pulmonary-fibrosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20353690

I hope this is ok with the mods, it is very generic in scope. Thank you.

Last edited:
It speaks volumes of her health if she can ski with her lung condition!

Don´t you feel ashamed claiming this?!
Would you prefer the CPcess to be even more sick so that she wouldn´t be able to ski at all?!
When it comes to this disease, what a person is able to do or not depends on how far it has progressed! Luckily, this Fibrosis has obviously not progressed that far, the Princess wouldn´t be able to do some sporting activities in the open air. By the way, moving in fresh air cannot be bad for any disease.

Last edited:
I hope MM feels better soon. I am glad she can go skiing. Maybe having this lung disease the cold air is better then heat? She looks good.

That someone has lung disease not mean that they couldn't do anything. It totally depends how far disease has progressed. M-M might has still on its early stage so it not necessareity affect her so much.

Would you prefer the CPcess to be even more sick so that she wouldn´t be able to ski at all?!

The post by Alisa did not say this. Her comment was of roughly the same meaning as yours:

Luckily, this Fibrosis has obviously not progressed that far, the Princess wouldn´t be able to do some sporting activities in the open air.

Yes, it is strange.

M-M might has still on its early stage so it not necessareity affect her so much.

When the Crown Princess's diagnosis was announced her doctors stated that fortunately she appeared to have an atypically slow-progressing case of pulmonary fibrosis.

Last edited:
I guess the main reason some might be surprised is that the Crown Princess has taken on very little royal engagements since the announcement - and even once explained how happy she was to have more time for herself to do the things she enjoyed to do (or something like that).

Glad to see that she is enjoying a day of skiing (which might mean that she'll need some time to recover but considers it worth it) but understanding of those who don't fully understand the choices they make in terms of work load.

Interesting. In my fully subjective perception, MM did more official engagemensts since the anouncement of her illness than before.

I hope she heals well and soon, tailbone injuries hurt like hell and really limit the mobility.

The post by Alisa did not say this. Her comment was of roughly the same meaning as yours:

When the Crown Princess's diagnosis was announced her doctors stated that fortunately she appeared to have an atypically slow-progressing case of pulmonary fibrosis.
Very happy to read that !

Interesting. In my fully subjective perception, MM did more official engagemensts since the anouncement of her illness than before.

I hope she heals well and soon, tailbone injuries hurt like hell and really limit the mobility.

It would be very odd if she did. She wasn't the hardest working royal but her number of engagements seems to have dropped drastically since she has been ill, not surprisingly...

She herself said in an interview that she is happy to have much more time to herself as she has less royal duties; she can 'pick and choose' to do an engagement (mostly joining her husband) if she feels well and if she doesn't or prefers private activities she can do so as well.

Checked the number of days with engagements to get a better idea of how her workload changed:
YEAR AFTER DIAGNOSIS: 34 in 2019 (including several 'sports events' and activities related to Ingrid-Alexandra's confirmation; and only 2 individual engagements - with days of each other; several others that she would normally do on her own now had Haakon scheduled as well; probably as a 'back-up option' in case Mette-Marit would not be able to attend)
YEAR PRIOR TO DIAGNOSIS: 96 in 2017 (and a higher number of days with 3 or more engagements; including 28 solo engagements)

So, she is carrying out about a third of the engagements she carried out previously; and hardly any on her own.

Don´t you feel ashamed claiming this?!
When it comes to this disease, what a person is able to do or not depends on how far it has progressed! Luckily, this Fibrosis has obviously not progressed that far, the Princess wouldn´t be able to do some sporting activities in the open air. By the way, moving in fresh air cannot be bad for any disease.
No.

The public does not receive regular updates on the progress of Mette-Marit's lung condition. So it is left up to viewers to discern by her activities- the status of her health. Hence my comment.

I could be wrong but IIRC when the news/announcement came out it stated that M-M is at the early stage of the disease. So it's not that surprising that she still goes skiing if her condition allows her to do so (she doesn't stop skiing after she was diagnosed I believe?). And skiing is a common or even daily thing for Norwegian? They just live with that environment and weather, probably just as normal as hiking for most of us. Nothing is really that strange to me.

I read ib some articles that people who suffers from this diseases have few years if living

I did read that the life expectancy of a person with pulmonary fibrosis is 2-5 years from the time of diagnosis. But as others said, MM has, per her doctors, an atypically slow-progressing case of pulmonary fibrosis. With her case and proper treatment, she can live longer (unfortunately there is no cure, yet).

As for skiing, if she feels great, then I don't see any problem at all. Actually, to be honest, if I had a deadly disease, I would try to live my life to the fullest. I hope MM is enjoying her life and doing the things she loves, and be with the people she loves.

Mette-Marit's diagnosis was first announced back in Oct. 2018. At the time her doctors did not clarify the cause of her pulmonary fibrosis other than it was "not related to environmental or lifestyle factors". Her physician Professor Bjøro also stated at the time her "lung changes have already been followed for several years, and that the development of the disease during this period has been slow. It has not yet been clarified whether the lung disease is part of a more comprehensive autoimmune disease process, or whether there are other causes underlying the lung changes."
https://www.kongehuset.no/nyhet.html?tid=166101&sek=26939

While Mette-Marit's prognosis is very concerning, prediction of longevity is difficult. Here is the American Lung Association's Pulmonary Fibrosis website. Click on menu to learn more about the disease if interested. Here is their information on life expectancy.
https://www.lung.org/lung-health-di...lmonary-fibrosis/introduction/life-expectancy

Back
Top Bottom