Crown Prince Haakon's visit to St. Petersburg, February 25-27, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairy tale

Heir Apparent
City
B.
Country
Germany
Crown Prince Haakon will visit St. Petersburg from February 25 to 27, 2014. The Crown Prince will include promoting Norwegian business investment in St. Petersburg and Leningrad.
He will be traveling with Secretary of State Dilek Ayhan from Industry and Fisheries Ministry, Deputy Minister Kåre Fostervold of Petroleum and Energy and Deputy Minister Bård Glad Pedersen of Foreign Affairs.

Press release (with parts of the program) kongehuset.no - Kronprinsen besøker St. Petersburg
Google Translation

Detailed program - the visit starts tomorrow:

25.02.2014 Consulate in St. Petersburg
His Royal Highness The Crown Prince attends an event celebrating the new offices of the Norwegian Consulate in St. Petersburg.

26.02.2014 Business seminar
His Royal Highness The Crown Prince opens a Russian-Norwegian business seminar.

26.02.2014 Jotun production facilities
His Royal Highness The Crown Prince takes part in the opening of Jotun's production facilities in Leningrad county.

26.02.2014 Baltic State Technical University
His Royal Highness The Crown Prince addresses the students at Baltic State Technical University (BSTU) i St. Petersburg.

26.02.2014 Meeting
His Royal Highness The Crown Prince meets with Acting Governor of St. Petersburg, Mr Igor Divinskij.

26.02.2014 Reception
His Royal Highness The Crown Prince attends a seafood reception at the Ethnographic museum.

27.02.2014 FMC Technologies
His Royal Highness The Crown Prince visits FMC Technologies.

Crown Prince Haakon will visit St. Petersburg from February 25 to 27, 2014. The Crown Prince will include promoting Norwegian business investment in St. Petersburg and Leningrad.

..and Leningrad? As far as I know Leningrad doesn´t exist anymore since about 20 years?!:ermm:

I´m glad that the Crown Prince doesn´t seem having to meet Putin!

..and Leningrad? As far as I know Leningrad doesn´t exist anymore since about 20 years?!:ermm:
I think somebody cut end of sentence "business investment in St. Petersburg and Leningrad Oblast."

...[snipped] ..and Leningrad? As far as I know Leningrad doesn´t exist anymore since about 20 years?!:ermm:

I´m glad that the Crown Prince doesn´t seem having to meet Putin!
Is there any reason for Crown Prince Haakon to meet the President of Russia, who has his own busy agenda?
I am sure Crown Prince Haakon will enjoy his visit as Saint Petersburg is a gorgeous city

Last edited:
Is there any reason for Crown Prince Haakon to meet the President of Russia, who has his own busy agenda?

Obviously not. I just thought it must be strange to be forced, by definition of ones role, to meet people whose view upon life is so opposed to ones own, shake hands with them and smile only for the sake of diplomacy.
The CP, as well as Mette-Marit, are both known for their staunch support of equal rights of homosexual people, for instance, but human rights and the principles of democracy in general, too!

:previous:
Technically speaking, Crown Prince Haakon is not the head of the family. The protocol may require President of Russia to meet King of Norway.
Crown Princely couple can hold staunch views on many hot topics. It is within their rights. The Russian Federation is a sovereign state, which has a full right to pass laws it views appropriate. When it comes to affairs of the Kingdom, no one cares what Prince Haakon and his spouse think/feel. They will do what it is required.

Last edited:
Technically speaking, Crown Prince Haakon is not the head of the family. The protocol may require President of Russia to meet King of Norway.
Crown Princely couple can hold staunch views on many hot topics. It is within their rights. The Russian Federation is a sovereign state, which has a full right to pass laws it views appropriate. When it comes to affairs of the Kingdom, no one cares what Prince Haakon and his spouse think/feel. They will do what it is required.

Yes, I know about protocol. But sometimes the CP couple DO meet the heads of state when being abroad ( they met the president of Indonesia while visiting the country, the president of Hungary, they met the royal couple of Thailand some years ago etc.).
Of course he will do his duties - my point was that I just suppose (without knowing it) that it might not be easy if you have an official role to fulfill to be forced to meet "dignitaries" and keep your diplomatic neutrality towards people you wouldn´t like in private (the injury of human rights and freedom of speech in Russia going on since a couple of years were simply unthinkable in Norway!), especially when one has very strong principles like Haakon has.
I´m also aware that the CP, as well as many other Royals, didn´t attend the olymic opening ceremony in Sochi - very much against his usual habit.
Really coincidental?

It is wonderful that Crown Prince Haakon has strong principles. His personal moral difficulties of meeting a certain person are irrelevant. Non-attendance of Sochi Games by royals, who are just figureheads for their states and decide nothing, is not important at this point. Chinese President Xi Jinping and Japanese Prime Minister Abe Shinzo were in attendance.
Pontificating on the matter in question further will be seen as off-topic.

Last edited:
Yes, being aware of where you come from I´m sure it is...

I also disagree that non-attendance at the olympic games wouldn´t be important. As members of reigning royal houses they are the top representatives of their respective countries with a huge symbolic force. And symbolism is a very important factor about controversial games like the ones in Sochi (why then would the Putin regime react with such hysteria to everything symbolic targetet at the current system?)!

By the way, what you find irrelevant or not is irrelevant to me! This is not the russ. federation, it´s a royal forum where one can express FREELY his/ her opinion upon royal issues, in this case a visit in a, let me put it mildly, not so easy diplomatic area.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom