Crown Prince Haakon's Current Events Part 2: November 2013 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is some information about the purpose of this visit:
Crown Prince Haakon launches Norway’s candidacy for the UN Security Council – Royal Central
His Royal Highness Crown Prince Haakon of Norway was accompanied by Norway’s Foreign Minister Ine Eriksen Søreide on Friday at the UN headquarters in New York. On behalf of Norway, the Crown Prince announced Norway’s candidacy for a seat in the UN Security Council for the period of 2021-22. The launch took place in the UN building in New York and was then marked with a huge reception for all UN member states.
“It is important to have an international system of rules, negotiations and constructive dialogue. Therefore, the UN is important. I have been an ambassador for the UN Development Fund (UNDP) for 14 years. Through those years I have seen how the UN works at the country level, and what good efforts the UN is doing for health, education and fighting poverty”, said the Crown Prince to the press.

:previous:

I assume he won't be charged with the actual campaigning? That would strike me as rather political.

Launching of Norway's candidacy:
Well, the procedure in cases like this is that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs contacts the palace and informs them that they want the Crown Prince to launch the candidacy.
CP Haakon and the court will then decide if this is something he wants to get involved with.
And they obviously regarded this as politically neutral enough, so he did it.

Campaigning for Norway's candidacy:
Same as above, if the Ministry of Foreign Affairs wants him campaigning, they will inform the palace.
CP Haakon and the court will then decide if this is something he wants to get involved with.
If asked, will he do it? Well, to campaign for Norway’s candidacy for the UN Security Council is a rather ''uncontroversial and politically neutral thing'' to do, so it will most likely be a ''YES'' from the palace.

And anyway, it's much less political than some of the other stuff he's involved with, on his own initiative.

--------------------

BTW: If any posters reply to this post, just to tell me that members of the Royal House must do what the government says, then my answer is:
The Norwegian monarchy is in such cases completely independent from the government, and with the exception of state/official visits, they decide for themselves what kind of engagements/causes they will undertake/get involved with.

And if any of you should ask me, how I know that? Well, by watching documentaries and debate-programs such as ''Sentrum'' (airing 1997-2000 on TV2), ''Tabloid'' (airing 2000-2010 on TV2), ''Holmgang'' (airing 1992-2008 on TV2), ''Redaksjon 21'' (airing 1994-2002 on NRK), ''Redaksjon EN'' (airing 2002-2009 on NRK) and ''Standpunkt'' (airing 2002-2007 on NRK), where stuff about royal engagements and so-called royal scandals were discussed several times a year.

--------------------

The exception (as I mentioned above in the post) is during state/official visits, when the Ministry of Foreign Affairs plans the program in consultation with the court.

An exemple was the famous ''horse scandal'' in 1998 (the King's Annus horribilis). - I mentioned this story in a different thread last year, so some of you may have heard it before:

The King gave the wealthy businessman Stein Erik Hagen permission to buy a horse (for 8.1 million Norwegian kroner) to Märtha. When the King later the same year, during a state visit to Latvia, opened a seminar at a newly opened shopping center in Riga, which Hagen owned a large part of, he was heavily criticized in the media.
They meant that the King only opened the seminar to give thanks to Stein Erik Hagen for the gift (the horse).

This proved to be false, and the King later said (in an TV-interview) that it's not him who decides what things he opens during such visits.
Although it must be said that the government of the time, refused to take any responsibility (no surprise there).

Last edited:

Launching of Norway's candidacy:
Well, the procedure in cases like this is that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs contacts the palace and informs them that they want the Crown Prince to launch the candidacy.
And they obviously regarded this as politically neutral enough, so he did it.

Campaigning for Norway's candidacy:
Same as above, if the Ministry of Foreign Affairs wants him campaigning, they will inform the palace.
If asked, will he do it? Well, to campaign for Norway’s candidacy for the UN Security Council is a rather ''uncontroversial and politically neutral thing'' to do, so it will most likely be a ''YES'' from the palace.

And anyway, it's much less political than some of the other stuff he's involved with, on his own initiative.

--------------------

BTW: If any posters reply to this post, just to tell me that members of the Royal House must do what the government says, then my answer is:
The Norwegian monarchy is in such cases completely independent from the government, and with the exception of state/official visits, they decide for themselves what kind of engagements/causes they will undertake/get involved with.

And if any of you should ask me, how I know that? Well, by watching documentaries and debate-programs such as ''Sentrum'' (airing 1997-2000 on TV2), ''Tabloid'' (airing 2000-2010 on TV2), ''Holmgang'' (airing 1992-2008 on TV2), ''Redaksjon 21'' (airing 1994-2002 on NRK), ''Redaksjon EN'' (airing 2002-2009 on NRK) and ''Standpunkt'' (airing 2002-2007 on NRK), where stuff about royal engagements and so-called royal scandals were discussed several times a year.

--------------------

The exception (as I mentioned above in the post) is during state/official visits, when the Ministry of Foreign Affairs plans the program in consultation with the court.

An exemple was the famous ''horse scandal'' in 1998 (the King's Annus horribilis). - I mentioned this story in a different thread last year, so some of you may have heard it before:

The King gave the wealthy businessman Stein Erik Hagen permission to buy a horse (for 8.1 million Norwegian kroner) to Märtha. When the King later the same year, during a state visit to Latvia, opened a seminar at a newly opened shopping center in Riga, which Hagen owned a large part of, he was heavily criticized in the media.
They meant that the King only opened the seminar to give thanks to Stein Erik Hagen for the gift (the horse).

This proved to be false, and the King later said (in an TV-interview) that it's not him who decides what things he opens during such visits.
Although it must be said that the government of the time, refused to take any responsibility (no surprise there).

Thanks for the excellent answer! It seems the government and the public require the royal family to remain apolitical while giving them the freedom to decide for themselves which activities are politically neutral, and as a result the royal family bears the responsibility of remaining vigilant about public opinions regarding the political aspects of activities. (When you mentioned the horse story for the first time, I thought it seemed unlikely that the king was never given a choice in his activities.)

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks iceflower! :flowers:

Royal House article: Nor-Fishing 2018 - kongehuset.no - translation

English article: Crown Prince Haakon: “We must protect the ocean” – Royal Central
The Nor-Fishing fair has, since 1960, been an important national and international meeting place for the fisheries industry. Today, it is one of the most significant fisheries technology exhibitions in the world. In recent years, the display has drawn around 15,000 visitors from about 50 countries. During Nor-Fishing, numerous seminars, mini-conferences, lectures, debates and presentations are held. There are also various social events both during the day and in the evening.

Here is an english article from Oskar Aanmoen about CP Haakon's visit to The Norwegian Civil Defence in Drammen on Wednesday: Crown Prince Haakon visited the Civil Defence – Royal Central
Yesterday, His Royal Highness Crown Prince Haakon of Norway visited the Civil Defence in Drammen.

His visit was to thank them for the extraordinary efforts of the Civil Defence and emergency services during the summer’s drought and forest fires that ravaged in the eastern parts of Norway. The Crown Prince also had the chance to try to be a firefighter in the civil defence. He got his own helmet and Civil Defence uniform while at the same time getting a good introduction on how to fight forest fires.

Thanks iceflower! :flowers:

And yesterday, The CP-Regent attended the conference Infinitum Think-In, in Oslo: Bærekraft som konkurransefortrinn - kongehuset.no - translation

(Some issues with the google translations again, so use your owns.)

--------------------

The Crown Prince Regent, to be precise...:flowers:;)
Perhaps the King and the Queen are already heading for China?
The Regent-Couple are already in the region, yes. - They left Norway straight after the Opening of the Storting on October 2nd.

Will write a bit more about it in the ''State Visit to China'' thread in a few minutes. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom