Christening of Sverre Magnus - March 4, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
Prince Sverre Magnus will be christened in the Palace Chapel in Oslo on March 4, 2006, by Bishop Ole Christian Kvarme.

This thread will be opened closer to the christening.

Confirmed guests on the 4th
The whole Norwegian royal family
Queen Margrethe
Princess Maxima
Crown Princess Victoria
Crown Prince Frederik and Mary

All the Ferner children and Princess Ragnhilds oldest son Haakon and his wife Martha, and ofcourse not to forget Sven O:cool:

The Prince and Princess of Asturias is not comming
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/ko...cle1233467.ece

VG has it from several sources that Maxima is the godmother.
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=114543

It will be officially known sometime next week here http://www.kongehuset.no/

Maxima and Mary as possible godmothers...strange choices, I must say...I would choose a prince out of the second or third "row" (Constantijn, Joachim, Laurent, Carl Philip...) for Sverre. But it´s of course up to them. And good friendship between the parents and the godparent is usually a premise for a good relationship between the godparent and the godchild. Obviously Mette Marit&Haakon, Mary&Frederik and Maxima&Willem-Alexander are friends...:confused:

I agree its strange if they choose two consorts, but I guess this is royal networking at the highest level. I also agree a second born would have been a great choice for Sverre. Especially Carl Philip who already has a somewhat bossy and determined older sister;) just like it looks like Sverre will have, but they can pick 6 people so we will se next week.

A pitty Willem Alexander is not comming, I guess that means we will not see Alexia and Amalia in the chappel, Constantijn took care of Eloise in the chappel when Laurentien was godmother for Leah Isadora. Its always great with children in the christening IMO

in the article of aftenposten it says that willem is not going, so i think maxima wouldn't attend if she didn't have an important role in the christening. we also saw them together abord the dutch boat the green dragon (is it called like that?) early this summer. i would say maxima is one of the godmothers for sure. there was a lot of expectation of mary as well, though. i wonder who the male godparents will be with so many options for female ones!

The thread has been opened, so that discussion of the christening may take place here.

Have fun.

When will the gosparents of Sverre's be announce?

Princess Maxima said:
When will the gosparents of Sverre's be announce?

soon, the godparents of ingrid were announced 3 days before the day, so maybe they will do the same with sverre. not long to wait, i would say in one or two days we will know it already.

i'm so looking forward to this event! it will definetely be really popular and multitudinary. i was surprised to hear more people will attend sverre's christening than those that attended to ingrid's...

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this christening is such a big event? If P. Sverre is not considered royal enough to get a HH or HRH title why such a big (royal) deal about the baptism?

I think they're not viewing it as a royal deal at all. I think that they're viewing it as a friends and family thing, and some Norwegian officials.

Ingrid Alexandra's baptism was much more national focused as she is the heir- and invitations were not sent to senior royals such as Queen Margrethe, then, to keep it more "national".

It seems like this time, they're inviting more friends from the royal side of the family than was done last time.

Prince Sverre Magnus’s godparents

The godparents chosen by Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess for their son Prince Sverre Magnus will be
  • Her Majesty The Queen,
  • Her Royal Highness Princess Máxima of the Netherlands,
  • His Royal Highness Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece,
  • Her Royal Highness Princess Rosario of Bulgaria,
  • Mr. Espen Høiby, Mr. Bjørn Steinsland
  • Ms. Marianne Gjellestad.
The christening of Prince Sverre Magnus will take place at the chapel inside The Royal Palace in Oslo, on Saturday 4th March.
http://www.kongehuset.no/dt_kongehuset_newsstyle.asp?gid=504&mgid=24&aid=5486

Last edited:
Bjørn Steinsland is a friend of Haakon who like him enjoy wintersports, Marianne Gjellestad is a friend of Mette-Marit from Kristiansand, according to VG. I have never heared anything about them in the press so they must be very low key about the friendship, but they were invited to Ingrids christening also. I think Queen Sonja will probably hold the Prince during the actual christening

Aftenposten says that this christening will be more familiar than Ingrids, there will be no uniforms, the men will wear black suits, there will be fewer goverment officials. The Royal guests will stay at the Royal Palace during their stay.

Aftenposten also speculates that Sverre will use the same christening dress used by his father, and Märtha Louise and her daughters, and all of King Olav other decendants except for Princess Ingrid Alexandra who used King Olavs gown. The Gown was made by Crown Princess Märthas mother Princess Ingeborg and first used for King Haralds cousin, Prince George of Denmark, (I think I have read Princess Astrid Mrs Ferner saws the names on to it after the christening) The christening water will come from the river Jordan

Aftenposten further think the chappel will be decorated in blue (what a hard guess:rolleyes: ). There will be a lunch at the palace and a private dinner at Skaugum for family, friends and sponsors in the evening

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/kongelige/article1236715.ece
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=182335

Steinsland works for the extreme sports company X-sports and say to Nettavisen he is honored and that he is chosen and he is looking forward to it

Espen Høiby says he is touched and honored to be chosen and look forward to take part in seeing the little Prince grow up

Here is a picture of Marianne Gjellestad from Nettavisen

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/side2/kongelig/article570893.ece

*LIVE BROADCAST ONLINE FROM 11.50*
The videolink in the article will be activated at 11.50 and you can watch it online on NRK
http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/innenriks/kongehuset/5515451.html

Last edited:
Seven godparents for Prince Sverre Magnus

The infant prince's seven godparents are: his grandmother Queen Sonja, Crown Princess Maxima of the Netherlands, Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece, Princess Rosario of Bulgaria, Crown Princess Mette-Marit's brother Espen Høiby and the crown couple's friends Bjørn Steinsland and Marianne Gjellestad.
Crown Princess Mette-Marit was a godparent for Crown Prince Pavlos' youngest son at his christening in Greece last summer. Prince Sverre Magnus' older sister, Princess Ingrid Alexandra, had six godparents, including a king and three heirs to thrones.
Besides the godparents, several royal guests will attend the christening, including Denmark's Queen Margrethe, the Danish crown prince couple and Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1237070.ece

I thought Crown Princess Mary would be a Godparent.Why are so many Royals going to this Christening,as they did not attend Ingrid Alexandra's?

very interesting article why are Mary , Frederik, Felipe and Letizia not Godparents ?

Frederik and Felipe is already godparents for Ingrid Alexandra, this time they choose some other couples.

Last edited:
Does anyone know is Marie Chantal is anyones godmother or is it always Pavlos who is chosen?

Does anyone know is Marie Chantal is anyones godmother or is it always Pavlos who is chosen?

She is godmother to Princess Alexia's son, Carlos. Don't know about anyone else.

Any other royals that are going and not godparents?

Is there any particular reason why CP Felipe and Letizia will not attend? Will there be someone going to represent Spain?

Kelly said:
Any other royals that are going and not godparents?
CP Victoria of Sweden, Queen Margrethe, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, at least.

Kelly said:
Is there any particular reason why CP Felipe and Letizia will not attend? Will there be someone going to represent Spain?

so far, nobody from spain will be in the christening. felipe and letizia declined the invitation: soon they will travel to portugal and chile to represent spain in the change of presidents for both countries. they also travel this week to galicia and were last week in turin. i think they are having quite a busy time travelling and would be better for them to stay at home than going to norway, after all it's difficult for them to take leonor with them and letizia is still breastfeeding.

Since His Royal Highness Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece is godparent, I guess his wife is going to the Christening of Sverre Magnus. Maybe, I'll see new pictures of their children.

Larzen said:
Bjørn Steinsland is a friend of Haakon who like him enjoy wintersports, Marianne Gjellestad is a friend of Mette-Marit from Kristiansand, according to VG. I have never heared anything about them in the press so they must be very low key about the friendship, but they were invited to Ingrids christening also. I think Queen Sonja will probably hold the Prince during the actual christening

Aftenposten says that this christening will be more familiar than Ingrids, there will be no uniforms, the men will wear black suits, there will be fewer goverment officials. The Royal guests will stay at the Royal Palace during their stay.

Aftenposten also speculates that Sverre will use the same christening dress used by his father, and Märtha Louise and her daughters, and all of King Olav other decendants except for Princess Ingrid Alexandra who used King Olavs gown. The Gown was made by Crown Princess Märthas mother Princess Ingeborg and first used for King Haralds cousin, Prince George of Denmark, (I think I have read Princess Astrid Mrs Ferner saws the names on to it after the christening) The christening water will come from the river Jordan

Aftenposten further think the chappel will be decorated in blue (what a hard guess:rolleyes: ). There will be a lunch at the palace and a private dinner at Skaugum for family, friends and sponsors in the evening

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/kongelige/article1236715.ece
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=182335

Steinsland works for the extreme sports company X-sports and say to Nettavisen he is honored and that he is chosen and he is looking forward to it

Espen Høiby says he is touched and honored to be chosen and look forward to take part in seeing the little Prince grow up

Here is a picture of Marianne Gjellestad from Nettavisen

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/side2/kongelig/article570893.ece

*LIVE BROADCAST ONLINE FROM 11.50*
The videolink in the article will be activated at 11.50 and you can watch it online on NRK
http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/innenriks/kongehuset/5515451.html

Why did Ingrid Alexandra wear a different gown? Her father is to be king one day and he used the same one that every one else did..

carlota said:
so far, nobody from spain will be in the christening. felipe and letizia declined the invitation: soon they will travel to portugal and chile to represent spain in the change of presidents for both countries. they also travel this week to galicia and were last week in turin. i think they are having quite a busy time travelling and would be better for them to stay at home than going to norway, after all it's difficult for them to take leonor with them and letizia is still breastfeeding.

Do you think there will be anyone there to represent to Spanish RF like Elena or Cristina?

carlota said:
Where have you read that Felipe and Letizia was accually invited, its not a tradition in Norway to invite representatives from all royal houses to christenings. The danish and Swedish royals are probably comming since they are from the neighbouring countries. So far in the Norwegian press it has said nothing that Felipe was invited, the spanish royal house spokesperson just said they were not comming, to Aftenposten. And it is already comming more royals to this christening than to any other Norwegian christening
Why did Ingrid Alexandra wear a different gown? Her father is to be king one day and he used the same one that every one else did
The dress of King Olav was recently exhibited to mark the 100th anniversary of King Olavs birth, I guess they thought it a nice way to pay homage to him to let Ingrid wear it

Last edited:
I read in another Forum that the spanish CP Couple does not really want to be seen together with MM because MM does not have a good press in Spain. That ist why they declined to some other Occasions also.

Like I said it`s just what I read somewhere don`t know it`s true or not. If it`s true I have to they it`s not very nice at all

princess2 said:
I read in another Forum that the spanish CP Couple does not really want to be seen together with MM because MM does not have a good press in Spain. That ist why they declined to some other Occasions also.

Like I said it`s just what I read somewhere don`t know it`s true or not. If it`s true I have to they it`s not very nice at all

That would be an stupid behavior. I dont think it is true.

princess2 said:

gosh! I hope it isnt true ! if so thats horriable . but surely if it was true ,
the spanish royal family see Prince charles and he's always getting bad press ,
I think its papers making things up again!

Back
Top Bottom