The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-13-2005, 09:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Book on Mette-Marit

Book due on Mette-Marit's lifeMonday, 13 June 2005 http://www.royalarchive.com/images/s...n%20family.jpg

She was a relatively obscure, hard-partying young woman who ended up as a single mother and then became Norway's crown princess. The first authorized biography of Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby's unlikely rise to royalty will be out in 2006.

t's the stuff of fairy tales, and fledgling publisher Font Forlag hopes the new book on Mette-Marit's life will be a big-seller both in Norway and abroad.

There's no question that public interest abounds in the young blonde who became Crown Princess Mette-Marit when she married Norway's Crown Prince Haakon in August 2001.

It seemed an unlikely match: The highly educated and reflective Haakon who grew up in royal surroundings fell for the single mother who shared his interest in music but otherwise had a decidedly different background.

http://cache.aftenposten.no/multimed...pg_293231h.jpg

Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby caught the crown prince's eye, and since has produced the next heir to Norway's throne. She's shown here with her son from an earlier relationship, her daughter Princess Ingrid Alexandra and her husband, Crown Prince Haakon. PHOTO: HEIKO JUNGE/SCANPIX

Moreover, she had little formal education and a record of wild partying in Oslo's drug-infested "house party" circles of the early- to mid-1990s. Her admittedly debauched past also sparked concern within the Oslo police, who investigated security challenges posed by some of her former acquaintances.

But with Haakon reportedly threatening to abdicate if he wasn't allowed to marry her, King Harald went along with the match. Mette-Marit tearfully apologized for her past in a pre-wedding press conference and then set about learning how to be a princess.

She's now chosen author Halfdan Freihow to write her biography, although Freihow insists he'll have freedom to write as he sees fit. He also says he's been promised necessary access to both the crown princess "and other necessary sources."

Freihow admits he doesn't yet know how open Mette-Marit will be about her controversial past. "I don't have any ambitions about getting a scoop," he told newspaper Aftenposten on Monday.

"I want to draw a comprehensvie picture of the person Mette-Marit, who has many roles, and who, in the space of a short time, saw her life changed," he said.

13 Jun 2005 Aftenposten English Web Desk
Nina Berglund

Old 06-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Courtier

That's definitely going to be a must-read, provided it is really insightful and not just recycled old stories.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks for the pictures Larzen.

I think that MM is too young to have an authorized biography. I certainly don't mean to undermine MM, but usually an authorized biography usually comes towards the end of one's lifetime when one has accomplished great things. I think it is far too early for such a biography to be published.

It would be more suitable for her to give an extensive interview about her life so far and all the work that she has done and what she has learnt...etc and have the interview published in a paper or compiled in a little book or something.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Commoner

I agree Mette-Marit may be too young to have an autobiography. However, given the fact that she has been much maligned in the media and not quite as "accepted" as the other crown princesses, this may be an attempt at clarity and perhaps a way for her to present her side of the story so that people will understand her a bit more. I, quite frankly think that her story will be an interesting one and I think it will make a compelling story.
I look forward to reading it.

Best,

Ingyk
Old 06-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa
Thanks for the pictures Larzen.

I think that MM is too young to have an authorized biography. I certainly don't mean to undermine MM, but usually an authorized biography usually comes towards the end of one's lifetime when one has accomplished great things. I think it is far too early for such a biography to be published.

It would be more suitable for her to give an extensive interview about her life so far and all the work that she has done and what she has learnt...etc and have the interview published in a paper or compiled in a little book or something.
i really agree with you alisa.

however it will be worth a read. will it only be published in norwegianne?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-15-2005, 04:40 AM
Nobility

Definately looking forward to the book that will be written about Mette-Marit's life. I think that out of the many European Crown Princesses today, she's got one of the more interesting life stories. I'm not saying that the others don't, but her story is a bit more perculiar compared to the rest.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchainho
Book due on Mette-Marit's life Monday, 13 June 2005
13 Jun 2005 Aftenposten English Web Desk
Nina Berglund
http://www.royalarchive.com/index.ph...d=851&Itemid=2