1905-2005, December biography: Mette-Marit

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandy

Majesty
Country
United States
Mette-Marit was born on August 19, 1973 to Marit Tjessem and Sven Olav Bjarte Høiby. She was welcomed by two older brothers, Espen and Per, and a sister, Kristin. Mette-Marit is also the name of a heroine in a series of books, written between 1959 and 1971, by Norwegian author Bjørg Gaselle.

Mette-Marit grew up in an area of Kristiansand called Slettheia. She played with the children in the neighbourhood and her childhood was similar to that of other Norwegian children. She got her first pair of slalom skis when she was four and the Høiby family frequently spent weekends at their cabin in the mountains. After she started school at the age of seven, as was the custom in Norway, she gained many new friends. There is a story from her school days that will be remembered forever. As the class was making a collage of pictures from the glossy magazines, unlike her friends, who were interested in the royal children, Mette-Marit declared, "Haakon Magnus is childish!"

In 1984, her parents divorced and Mette-Marit lived mainly with her mother after the divorce which led to an especially strong bond between the two of them that is evident today.

Mette-Marit was an active teenager. She became one of the leaders in the local youth club and helped arrange discos every Friday. In addition, she was an eager volleyball player and even started some courses to qualify as a judge in the sport.

In 1988 Mette-Marit started her secondary education at Oddernes High School. When she became tired of her surroundings and needed a change, she went as an exchange student to Wangaratta High School in Australia. She made several friends there and stayed in touch with them afterwards. Upon her return to Norway, Mette-Marit passed her final exams at Kristiansand Katedralskole in 1994. Being two year older than the rest of her graduating class, she was like the "mommy" who hushed the other pupils.

After graduating, she moved in with a boyfriend and soon after, she was enjoying the party life. When the relationship started to cool after a year or so, Mette-Marit began to reevaluate her life. She moved in with a girlfriend and began her studies at Bjørknes Privatskole in Oslo, to improve her grades before beginning university.

Mette-Marit had a son, Marius Borg Høiby in January 13, 1997. Her romantic relationship with Marius' father, Morten Borg, who was a friend of hers, had been brief and neither party had expected it to last. So when Mette-Marit realized she was pregnant, it came as a surprise to both of them, but they decided to face it together and Marius' father was present when Marius was born. She raised Marius with the help of her mother and friends with only a waitress (East News) salary and child benefit from the state to cover their expenses. Marius lived with his grandparents while Mette-Marit studied and when he was christened in the spring of 1997, Aunt Kristin, Uncle Espen and Uncle Per were his sponsors.

In Autumn 1998, Mette-Marit started studies at Grimstad College to become a Construction engineer and after completing her first year, she interrupted her studies when she got tired of the daily commute from Kristiansand. She wanted to move back to the capital and she considered studying social anthropology.

Mette-Marit first met CP Haakon in 1996, while she was pregnant with Marius, then they met again in the summer of 1999 at the Kristiansand rock music festival or Quart Festival. This second encounter slowly blossomed into a serious relationship. When Mette-Marit started school without a place to live, Haakon invited her to move in with him. She was hesitant to change the status of their relationship, but Haakon's perseverence eventually paid off.

In the early 2000, media frenzy developed around the couple when it was revealed that Marten Borg had been convicted of possession of cocaine and that Mette-Marit had a wild past. This information came to light while Haakon was on an official visit to Svalbard in the Arctic Archipelago and he refused to comment when asked about it by the reporters accompanying him.

Finally, on May 14, 2000, Haakon confirmed his romance with Mette-Marit on NRK state television and he admitted to Mette-Marit having taken part in the Oslo party scene. Despite the negative media attention, the King continued to support both Haakon and Mette-Marit. Mette-Marit’s family members were silent except for her father, Sven O Høiby, who in an interview with Aftenposten was quoted as saying that Mette-Marit was not keen to be queen, but would make a good queen.

In September, Haakon and Mette-Marit bought an apartment that was large enough for themselves and Marius, but delayed moving in until the remodeling was completed.

On October 16, 2000, Mette-Marit was introduced (dpa) to the press as she and Haakon took a walk in the park. The reporters followed snapping their pictures. From this point on, her picture was taken every time she was spotted by the press. Mette-Marit was invited to Palace for lessons on how to handle the press and for tips on how to be a princess.

After much anticipation, Haakon's and Mette-Marit's engagement was announced during a televised press conference on December 1st 2000. Pictures of the happy couple graced the cover of every newspaper on December 3rd when both families gathered at the Palace to celebrate the official engagement.

Mette-Marit's first "official appearance" after her engagement was her attendance at the Nobel Peace Prize awards ceremony (dpa) at the Oslo City Hall on December 10, 2000 with Haakon, King Harald and Märtha Louise. The very next day, she accompanied Haakon to the Nobel Concert (dpa) at the Oslo Spektrum.

As illustrated in this Christmas picture (getty) released in December 2000, the Royal Family was a close-knit family gathered around a blond haired little boy in a happy home setting.

Last edited:
Since there are no university courses designed to prepare a young woman for her future role as a crown princesss, it becomes the responsibility of the Royal Family to ensure that she has a smooth transition into her new role. Amid the shopping sprees to New York and London to co-ordinate a wardrobe befitting a princess, also comes the arduous task of learning how to perform one's royal duties. Through a series of public appearances, one can readily see how Mette-Marit prepared for her new role in the few short months before her wedding.

The "grand old man" in the royal family, King Harald's Uncle Mulle, aka. Prince Carl Bernadotte, turned 90 years old in January 2001. It was Mette-Marit's first official meeting (Rexfeatures) with members of the European royal families at the birthday celebration.

When the Royal Family attended a Memorial Service commemorating the 10th anniversary of King Olav's death on January 17th 2001, Mette-Marit took her place at Haakon's side (Alloverpress) in the Oslo Cathedral.

In March 2001, Mette-Marit arrived unexpectedly with the Royal Family at the Holmenkollen Ski Festival and much to the pleasure of the reporters and the crowd, she stood at the royal box window (APL) with Haakon to wave at the crowd.

February 1st, 2001, Mette-Marit was close to tears as she attended an anti-racist rally (Nettavisen) in Oslo with Haakon and Märtha Louise after a 15-year-old boy had been violently killed by racist teens.

March 5th 2001, Mette-Marit elegantly entered the Palace's grand hall on Haakon's arm at the Dinner (vg.no) for Foreign Diplomats.

On her first trip abroad, Mette-Marit traveled with Haakon to Luxembourg to celebrate Grand Duke Henri's accession to throne on April 7, 2001. This was another opportunity for Mette-Marit to meet members (dpa) of the European royalty before her wedding.

Mette-Marit made her first appearance on Royal Palace balcony on National Day along with Haakon, Sonja, King Harald and Märtha Louise. A shy looking Mette-Marit eventually waved (dpa) at the crowd below.

Mette-Marit and Haakon attended the pre-wedding (APL) and wedding (Eastnews) celebrations of Constantijn and Laurentien in the Netherlands on May 18th and 19th.

During Queen Elizabeth II's State Visit to Norway in May, who can forget Mette-Marit's deep reverential curtsey (APL) to HM The Queen.

Mette-Marit turned twenty-eight (Eastnews) six days before her wedding and just a few days after birthday the pre-wedding events began to unfold such as the Photo Session on the Palace grounds, the Private Party at Skaugum, the Banquet at Akershus Castle and more.

On the day before her wedding, during a press conference, a teary eye Mette-Marit, clinging to Haakon for support asked the Norwegian people for their forgiveness for her past mistakes. The next day, (August 25th 2001) before the royals of the world and the eyes of the world, Mette-Marit walked down the aisle of the Oslo Cathedral to wed Crown Prince Haakon.

In November 2001, Mette-Marit was acting first lady for the first time when Sonja was unable to attend a gala dinner at the Palace for members of the Storting (Viennareport) and she entered the grand hall on King Harald's arm.

Last edited:
Haakon and Mette-Marit spent a year in London while Haakon completed his studies. They returned to Norway upon learning of Mette-Marit's pregnancy. Their first daughter and future queen of Norway, Ingrid Alexandra was born January 21, 2004. Her second son and Haakon first son, Sverre Magnus was born December 3, 2005.

Since Mette-Marit and Haakon prefer to work as a team as stated in an interview, they attend few solo engagements. To that effect, Mette-Marit made her first solo overseas visit in January 2005 when she traveled to Malawi to bring into focus the impact of AIDS in Africa.

Together with Haakon, Mette-Marit traveled to Russia in October 2003, to Iceland in June 2004, to Thailand in November 2004 and to Poland in May 2005 and then with the Royal Family, she traveled to the United Kingdom just before the birth of Sverre Magnus in October 2005 to promote Norway abroad.

It should be noted that Mette-Marit has a deep fear of flying. She was involved in an incident as a result this phobia, but the details are not important. Suffice it to say that with therapy and the help of Haakon and her brother, she is learning to control her fear. She carries out her royal duties despite her fear even when it involves flying. But given the opportunity, Mette-Marit will understandably choose other modes of transportation instead of flying.

Mette-Marit lives with Haakon and their children at Skaugum, the Crown Prince's residence.

References:

1) Haakon og Mette-Marit og andre kongelige romanser by Liv Berit Tessem
2) Mette-Marit: Prinsesse mot alle odds by Håvard Melnæs.

This profile has been a collaborative effort between Norwegianne and myself.

Last edited:
Mandy said:
For some reason, the links don't work. Mette-Marit's bio can be found in the Norwegian forum under the title, 1905-2005, December biography: Mette-Marit. Sorry for the problems.

Just read the great, very detailed biography of Mette-Marit. Well done to you Mandy and Norwegianne for all your hard work!;)

Pink Tulip said:
Just read the great, very detailed biography of Mette-Marit. Well done to you Mandy and Norwegianne for all your hard work!;)

I'll second that. its wonderful to have an international community of royalty lovers!

pollyemma said:
I'll second that. its wonderful to have an international community of royalty lovers!
I really loved this one to.. I can't wait to the one about Lille Ma, Ingrid, Leah and Sverre t ocome now in january..:p

Please tell me where to find pictures of crown princess Mette-Marits wedding gown.

Thank you in advance.

M. Lundberg said:
Please tell me where to find pictures of crown princess Mette-Marits wedding gown.

Thank you in advance.

Have a look at Haakon and Mette-Marit's Wedding thread in the Old, New, Royal and Blue forum.

Enjoy! :)

Mandy, this is lovely!

Mandy said:
Haakon and Mette-Marit spent a year in London while Haakon completed his studies. They returned to Norway upon learning of Mette-Marit's pregnancy. Their first daughter and future queen of Norway, Ingrid Alexandra was born January 21, 2004. Her second son and Haakon first son, Sverre Magnus was born December 3, 2005.

Since Mette-Marit and Haakon prefer to work as a team as stated in an interview, they attend few solo engagements. To that effect, Mette-Marit made her first solo overseas visit in January 2005 when she traveled to Malawi to bring into focus the impact of AIDS in Africa.

Together with Haakon, Mette-Marit traveled to Russia in October 2003, to Iceland in June 2004, to Thailand in November 2004 and to Poland in May 2005 and then with the Royal Family, she traveled to the United Kingdom just before the birth of Sverre Magnus in October 2005 to promote Norway abroad.

It should be noted that Mette-Marit has a deep fear of flying. She was involved in an incident as a result this phobia, but the details are not important. Suffice it to say that with therapy and the help of Haakon and her brother, she is learning to control her fear. She carries out her royal duties despite her fear even when it involves flying. But given the opportunity, Mette-Marit will understandably choose other modes of transportation instead of flying.

Mette-Marit lives with Haakon and their children at Skaugum, the Crown Prince's residence.

References:

Mandy, this is just ... lovely!

Thank you so very much. :)

I really love reading about the couple in English!!

I regret, deeply, not knowing a word of Norwegian. I loved the ELLE magazine interview with MM that Franzen translated for all of us. A-mazing! :ohmy:

Last edited:
There's going to be an authorised biography of Mette-Marit soon, or so Aftenposten tell us.

Oh, wonderful!

Smilla said:
There's going to be an authorised biography of Mette-Marit soon, or so Aftenposten tell us.

Oh, wonderful!

In English?

I had read where there'd be one out on her in Norwegian, but, as you know I don't speak nor read Norwegian, so ...

-- Abbie

NICE, indeed!

References:

THANK you very much indeed, for this exhaustive and extensive Bio.!

I will tell you honestly what coming to these Forums has made me realise ... And it is that I / Abigail / Abbie needs to learn more languages than just English, French and Spanish!

I just e-mailed the Danish authour of the book out on THAT Royal Family and asked her when, please her book might be published in English and from whom or where one might order it :flowers:

Again, thank you for all this that you provide for we English speakers.

-- Abbie ;)

What a brilliant biography!!

Mette-Marit is my favourite princess and it's great to read about her life before meeting Haakon.

There is a story from her school days that will be remembered forever. As the class was making a collage of pictures from the glossy magazines, unlike her friends, who were interested in the royal children, Mette-Marit declared, "Haakon Magnus is childish!"
Oh my gosh! I almost fell off my chair when I read that!! :ROFLMAO: I wonder how Haakon reacted when he heard that story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom