The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > King Philippe & Queen Mathilde and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Courtier

CP Mathilde is always serene, gracious, warm and quiet -- nice and steady just a perfect match for Phillipe......she does Belgium proud.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Courtier

CPs Philippe and Mathilde are sensitive, delicate, tactful, elegant, discreet, unpretentious, intelligent, understanding, sympathetic, loving, kind-hearted, beautiful and charming persons.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Courtier

I agree with you, lyndaW!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Commoner

In all these years, the crown belgian princess has been showing to the world how to behave in such a role. Near the people and remembering the mysthic of the royalty. I am happy of begining with thi topic.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Commoner

what is your opinion about CPhillipe and CPssMathilde

In all these years ,princess Mathilde has been showing us the image of a royal who is near the people and know the mystique of the monarchy. Thank you for the photos and the information in this forum.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Courtier

In my opinion, they are the most loving royal couple. Mathilde's quiet strength gives Phillippe a security. She is his help mate, never trying to outshine him which would be quite easy as he is very subdued. This is the perfect couple!!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Aristocracy

Some people might not just have a gift for public speaking..so I guess Prince Philippe is like that..he needs to be coached or help so that his public persona will improve but I think that he is a good person and not stupid!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLeana View Post
Should I? Would I?

Marengo makes a point here. We shy quiet Belgians do not necessarily feel better than the Dutch (unlike the other way around ), but we like to think our educational system is better, and, ok, so spacial planning is a mess... we don't like uniformity, so what's the deal? They laugh at our bad roads, and we wonder why their windows all have to open outward... Oh, wait, because the houses are so much smaller...

But, let's move on from the subject of Dutch vs Belgian (that issue has been solved to both of our satisfaction almost 180 years ago, despite some delusional ideas circulating these days)

I think that's only natural, the same is probably true for the Scandinavian royals amongst each other.
Both princesses have their own character and characteristics, and both are perfect for their respective countries, and neither would "work" in the other country. Mathilde would be too "soft" for the Dutch, too boring, whereas Maxima would be too outgoing, too "eye-catching" for us modest Belgians.
So basically both Princes made a perfect choice.
haha...I agree the conclusion..As a Chinese, I'm a spectator, but I think both the princess are perfect. Maxima is from the sourthern America, so she is more enthusiastic; and Mathilde is the one I like more. I like the smile on her face and she is very soft and make people feel safe(I think so). Prince Philippe maybe look serious in public, but the reason partly attribute to his characteristic and partly because of Belgian special national situations.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Gentry

As an American I don't know anything about the background of these particular people. There is no coverage to speak of of any royal families except Great Britain's and occasionally Monaco. But if you can tell anything from body language or facial expressions, I'd say that this particular couple comes across very well. They look like they're both a little reserved but care for and support each other and the children appear well brought up and good mannered. They look like nice people. I couldn't say that about all the pictures of royalty I've seen.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Nobility

I recently heard that Philippe had a very low "approval rating" in Belgium and, not knowing much, tried to do some digging to see what sort of disaster or scandal caused this. After all, his support was rated lower than the Prince of Wales who has had quite a few scandals under his belt. I was rather surprised to come up with nothing. Even reading through all the messages here I have been rather shocked by the attitudes and I still cannot quite help but wonder if there is not some great secret I alone am missing out on.

Based on what I have read, rather than Philippe and Mathilde it is the people of Belgium and perhaps some royal watchers who are the ones who need to 'just relax'. There's been no divorce, no affairs, no real scandals of any sort and no doubt about the couple being devoted to their duties. All the criticism I see is so un-specific and full of phrases starting with, "he seems", "she appears", "they come off as" or "I get the feeling that..." For so many people to have such a low opinion of the Crown Princely couple based on nothing more substantial than feelings and appearances is frankly alarming to me. Some things are matters of taste -who "seems" confident or doesn't, how Mathilde dresses etc. Other things are just -baffling. I noticed the word "clumsy" alot on this thread. Did either of them ever pull a Gerry Ford and fall down the stairs? Have they dropped one of their children on their head?

From the pictures and videos etc I have seen they look like an upright, dedicated "normal" couple to me. I don't see anything major they've ever done wrong and Crown Prince Philippe, in videos of him with the children, seems to shed his age and act like a very young first-time father. I did not understand what the problem with these two people was to begin with and, I have to say, the more I read the less and less I understand it. They seem perfectly fine and acceptable to me. If I'm missing something let me know but I'd appreciate specific actions rather than feelings or appearances. That's my two cents anyway...

Old 08-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Aristocracy

Oh, you are so right. There is indeed nothing wrong with Phillippe. And indeed no scandals to tell you. There is just nothing to tell but how nice this family is and how scandal-free Philippe is. But why attacking the prince?

Because there is a strong Flemish front here who wants to end the monarchie. They say it is oldfashion and undemocratic. But people used to say: so what they are nice people, we are attached to our royal family, we like them. So, what did the anti-monarchists do: attacking the persons instead of the institution. But hey, they had a problem! No bad girls, no drinking parties, no accidents, nothing. The prince is just a normal man, with normal interests and a normal IQ. But oops, wasn't he a little bit nervous then, and oh he asked the same question twice, uh-uh doesn't he look a bit uncertain? Yes yes, he seems a bit introvert. Probably he will be stupid too. We don't think he is fit to become a king. The republicans are just researching every detail about him and criticise him on very small things and mostly untrue! (e.g. Vandenberghe and Vandendriessche) It is just such a pitty for him, 'cause he's doing his best, he has become more open during the years, but still, he's not very popular, because of the not-so-interessting image.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Nobility

How terribly unfair. No scandals=you're boring, some scandals=you're a disgrace. Doesn't seem like a situation anyone could win in. I suppose if I were in such a position I would be a bit on the nervous side myself. I hope they can manage it and carry on as well as they have been. And I hope the country stays together. The heroes of 2 world wars didn't sacrifice all just so the country could later destroy itself.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:07 AM
Aristocracy

They are a wonderful family - pretty normal and down to earth comes to mind when I think of them.

Unfortunately being a wonderful couple fully invested in the interests of their country, won't be enough to keep Belgium as a monarchy in today's political reality. It' kind of similar situation as in Spain - it'd be a waste of high level human and national resources if ever our countries turn to a Republic ...unfortunately, that's the way we're going.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Nobility

I think Mathilde and Philippe are great, they're great parents. They show thier country to the world with grace and manner
Old 11-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Heir Apparent

I know it's not possible (dynastically-speaking) but after the old King hands over the reins, I would like Mathilde to be reigning Queen.

Okay, shoot at me....
Old 11-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

I love them and I am proud of them !
Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Gentry

Commoner

I think that they both do good work for Belgian trade and for charities but I wish that Mathilde had nicer clothes.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Nobility

He reminds me of Queen Elizabeth's father(not that I was around back then but from what I have learned) someone who lacked the charisma and personality but had a tightknit family life.
Maybe he will grow into the role as well.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I really like them.I think Philippe would rather be boring than have a life full of scandals.They seem like very good parents and a hard-working couple.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Nobility

They strike me as an old fashioned kind of couple and that's precisely why they work, both are the kind of people who like to go on their business without too much fanfare.

The CP couple work hard and I consider them a great asset for their country, all the economic missions they are doing show it.

And I'm kinda jealous of Mathilde for getting him but can't really hate her, she's simply a perfect fit for Philippe

Tags
crown prince phillipe, crown princess mathilde, mathilde, opinion, phillipe