The 18th Birthday of Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant - 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Eighteenth Birthday Celebrations of
Princess Elisabeth of Belgium, Duchess of Brabant

440px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_Duchess_of_Brabant.svg.png

25 October, 2019

**​

Last edited:
The 18th Birthday of the Duchess of Brabant

The post stamp for Elisabeth's 18th birthday will be out for sale on Monday, the picture was taken by her father.

I think she looks really beautiful here, quite serene, I believe Philippe really captured the essence of his eldest daughter in the picture :)

The post stamp for Elisabeth's 18th birthday will be out for sale on Monday, the picture was taken by her father.

I think she looks really beautiful here, quite serene, I believe Philippe really captured the essence of his eldest daughter in the picture :)

Beautiful photo. Dad definitely caught a great photo of his eldest daughter.

Glad to see its not the photo that was hinted at. The blurred out photos of the stamp announcement were from a previous shoot. Glad for a different one.

Thanks Leidi!

What a beautiful picture of the Princess!

What a beauty ! Perfect girl and picture.

:previous: Truly a lovely photo of Elisabeth.

Philippe is a very talented painter AND photographer. I had no idea until recently that he had such an artistic streak.?

Lovely picture by her father.

Elisabeth looks beautiful in her stamp photos and it's nice that the palace shared some behind the scenes for us too. Over the past couple of years she's shot up and has blossomed into a lovely young woman. I'm sure she'll be a great future queen and now that she's 18 I look forward into seeing her undertake more engagements.

I am so glad they eventually chose a new picture for her birthday. And shot by her father, also!
She is such a beautiful young lady, she will make her Nation proud!

So, if there's a party or something for her 18th birthday, everything should go here? :)

"On the occasion of Belgian Crown Princess Elisabeth’s 18th birthday, a official ceremony will be organized at the royal palace in Brussels. The royal family is invited. And 80 teenagers, born in October 2001 (the same month as Elisabeth). King Philippe is preparing a speech."

Such a nice surprise!

https://soirmag.lesoir.be/254491/article/2019-10-18/une-grande-fete-pour-elisabeth

Here it says that Elisabeth will get the Order of Leopold that day and that she will give a speech afterwards, there will also be a party and a group photo.

I think it's such a nice detail that they are inviting her teachers from Sint-Jan Berchmans, her dance teacher, her piano teacher, all the people who have one way or another helped shape her into the woman she's turning into.

Such a nice surprise!

https://soirmag.lesoir.be/254491/article/2019-10-18/une-grande-fete-pour-elisabeth

Here it says that Elisabeth will get the Order of Leopold that day and that she will give a speech afterwards, there will also be a party and a group photo.

I think it's such a nice detail that they are inviting her teachers from Sint-Jan Berchmans, her dance teacher, her piano teacher, all the people who have one way or another helped shape her into the woman she's turning into.

What a surprise! It's great!!! I hope Elisabeth will be wearing a long day dress and a tiara to match the sash of Order. Just like Crown Princess Victoria did when she turned 18.

Such a nice surprise!

I was expecting her to get the Order of Léopold on her 18th birthday, but the speech will be an unexpected bonus.

It is a great PR move by the Royal Family. Instead of a lavish gala dinner for foreign royalty, a ceremony to honor Élisabeth's teachers and other ordinary teenagers from all sections of the Belgian society who were born in the same month as the princess.

Last edited:
What a surprise! It's great!!! I hope Elisabeth will be wearing a long day dress and a tiara to match the sash of Order. Just like Crown Princess Victoria did when she turned 18.

Acutally Vixctoria wore no tiara on her 18th birthday. Don't know when her first tiara Event was but probably the Nobels in that year.

Such a nice surprise!

Hurray! My favorite teen Royal, there is something very special about this lovely, radiant young girl that makes it a joy to watch her. I can't wait.;)

Last edited:
I hope that they will release a lovely photo next Friday.

I hope that they will release a lovely photo next Friday.

The article on Le Soir also says that the princess will speak in all 3 official languages, which will be a good opportunity to see how much progress she has made in her German (as we know her Dutch and French are already excellent).

Five teens, two Dutch-speaking, two French-speaking, and one German-speaking will also have the opportunity to speak briefly on their future or the future of the country. The princess will then thank the previous speakers , including her father, in her own closing speech.

The official program also includes music and dance numbers.

All the senior Royal Family members have been invited , including King Albert and Queen Paola, Prince Lorenz and Princess Astrid, Prince Laurent and Princess Claire, and Prince Amedeo, who is Élisabeth's godfather.

I am looking forward to this event, which looks great and very appropriate for a young, modern monarchy.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see more pix of her and her guests !

Sounds a bit like what Willem-Alexander did for his 50th birthday; maybe that's where they got their inspiration.

The event sounds wonderful indeed. Nice touching adding other kids her age.

It seems far more fitting for a modern future queen. Besides at 18, a gala ball or dinner likely not appealing. The other young royals are younger then she is. I'd hope she'd have some kind of celebration with her friends of some kind in private as well.

The event sounds wonderful indeed. Nice touching adding other kids her age.

It seems far more fitting for a modern future queen. Besides at 18, a gala ball or dinner likely not appealing. The other young royals are younger then she is. I'd hope she'd have some kind of celebration with her friends of some kind in private as well.

I am sure she will have a private celebration with her friends, but the court will respect the Princess' privacy and not give this information away.

Last edited:
Such a nice surprise!

This is set to be the future Queen's first official speech, isn't it? A splendid idea to mark the occasion with a ceremony.

The article on Le Soir also says that the princess will speak in all 3 official languages, which will be a good opportunity to see how much progress she has made in her German (as we know her Dutch and French are already excellent).

Five teens, two Dutch-speaking, two French-speaking, and one German-speaking will also have the opportunity to speak briefly on their future or the future of the country. The princess will then thank the previous speakers , including her father, in her own closing speech.

I wonder what the article meant by saying the Germanophone's speech would be "a first".

The official program also includes music and dance numbers.

Giving the spotlight to the Queen Elisabeth competition winners as well is very apt for a royal ceremony in honor of Queen Elisabeth's namesake.

All the senior Royal Family members have been invited , including King Albert and Queen Paola, Prince Lorenz and Princess Astrid, Prince Laurent and Princess Claire, and Prince Amedeo, who is Élisabeth's godfather.

I am looking forward to this event, which looks great and very appropriate for a young, modern monarchy.

It's heartening to see that her godfather Prince Amedeo will be present despite the intermittent rumors of frosty relations between their respective parents. Incidentally, I wonder if he was appointed as her godfather because she replaced him as the heir to the throne in their generation.

Sounds a bit like what Willem-Alexander did for his 50th birthday; maybe that's where they got their inspiration.

King Philippe indeed seems to treat the other Benelux monarchies as inspirations; several years ago, when he reformed the titles of royal descendants, the court explained the changes to the media as similar to the systems used in Luxembourg and the Netherlands. The extent to which European monarchies inspire one another, even though most are no longer first or second cousins as in the past, is quite interesting.

While I understand the reason for the timing of this ceremony, I wonder if it wouldn't have been more logical for it to happen when Princess Elisabeth is ready to carry out full-time official functions.

I also think it would be proper if Belgium, and other monarchies which use primogeniture, revisited their laws on regency. Many Western monarchies set the age of majority for the monarch to 18 when it was still 21 or older for the rest of the population. It would suit modern needs to set the age of majority for the monarch to 21 or older while it is 18 for the rest of the population. Having no higher education and minimal work experience with official functions will likely limit the effectiveness of an 18-year-old monarch. If something were to happen to King Philippe in the following years, I would hope for a constitutional amendment or an unofficial "regency" to enable Queen/Princess Regent Elisabeth to complete her formal education and a period of training before assuming her full-time functions.

Acutally Vixctoria wore no tiara on her 18th birthday. Don't know when her first tiara Event was but probably the Nobels in that year.
I think Victoria's first tiaras event was the pre-wedding and wedding of Prince Joachim and Alexandra Manley, closely followed by the Nobels one month later.

With no big royal wedding on the horizon the Duches of Brabant will probably wear her first tiara at a state visit in a few years. But I hope that they will at least publish a nice official portrait of her with the new order.

Last edited:
The Duchess of Brabant, News and Events: October 2019 -

The ceremony for Elisabeth’s birthday will be broacasted live by één and VTM friday morning.

I think Victoria's first tiaras event was the pre-wedding and wedding of Prince Joachim and Alexandra Manley, closely followed by the Nobels one month later.

With no big royal wedding on the horizon the Duches of Brabant will probably wear her first tiara at a state visit in a few years. But I hope that they will at least publish a nice official portrait of her with the new order.

Oh thank you! I didn't go checking my facts but I remembered clearly her long blue dress with the sash that I assumed she was also wearing a tiara. Shame on me.

Anyway it is great that a monarchy like Belgium, usually not that prone to big public celebrations, has decided to organize such an event for the heir to the throne. It speaks volumes about the love and pride Philippe and Mathilde feel for their daughter.

The ceremony for Elisabeth’s birthday will be broacasted live by één and VTM friday morning.

How exciting...I hope to be able to see at least parts of it here in the USA;)?

Thanks for letting us know! That'll be something to look forward to in the afternoon when I get home from work if I can catch up.

Back
Top Bottom