The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > King Philippe & Queen Mathilde and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

2 HQ pics
http://blog.soirmag.lesoir.be/rue-ro...435094-011.jpg
http://blog.soirmag.lesoir.be/rue-ro...435094-030.jpg

Old 07-29-2013, 06:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
Am I the only one who finds it odd that the newly-minted King and Queen of the Belgians have their first family photo session after the inauguration in France and not in Belgium? Or am I missing something here?
I agree with you. I also think it is odd that so soon after taking the throne, the King and Queen head off on holiday. I appreciate it is the summer, but they could have waited a few weeks at least, IMO.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:11 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I agree with you. I also think it is odd that so soon after taking the throne, the King and Queen head off on holiday. I appreciate it is the summer, but they could have waited a few weeks at least, IMO.
OK, I accept that some people might find it odd for someone to be inaugurated as king and then go off on holiday, but no one is saying WHY they think it is odd and WHY should they have waited a few weeks? Wait for what exactly?!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
OK, I accept that some people might find it odd for someone to be inaugurated as king and then go off on holiday, but no one is saying WHY they think it is odd and WHY should they have waited a few weeks? Wait for what exactly?!
I presume a new monarch might have an agenda, or a list of things he might want to achieve (however "ceremonial" these might be) in his reign. Going on holiday in the first week of ones reign is surely not the message, IMO.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:44 AM
Courtier

It's tradition that the Belgian royals start their holiday right after the 21st of July.
Philippe met the members of the government on the day after and appointed his staff.
The government is also in recess so I guess it's the best time to go on vacation now.

It's the first time they had a photoshoot at their holiday spot, their previous summer shoots were always in Belgium (except for last year at the Olympics).
Maybe next year they go back to their previous routine of having a photoshoot at the beginning of the summer and somewhere in Belgium.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 AM
Courtier

I'd imagine now it probably the best time to be away, if the rest of teh Governement is then its the best time for the King to be away and it probably also gives staff at the Royal palaces time to find their feet with the new King and Queen. It gives everyone a little bit of breathing space toget use to their new roles and a new King.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

And the Royal Palace of Brussels is open to the public until beginning september and it is free. (closed on monday)
Old 07-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Serene Highness

Here in Belgium we know that the royal familiy is going on holiday right after the national day, so there is no fuss about that.

The holiday of the family is shorter that usual since they will be back in Belgium on wednesday for the mass commerating King Boudewijn.
Normally there are no activities in august but i saw on the agenda that Philippe already has one.

As for the pictures taken in France, they have a photoshoot evey year with the childern last year it was in Londen. It is nice that it is not evey year the same setting, they change it evey year, which keeps it interresting and we don't get the same type of pictures evey year. We must be happy that they keep doing this now they are king and queen and that we get to see pictures of the family in an informal atmosphere
Old 07-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Serene Highness

Another movie clip

Philippe et Mathilde de Belgique en vacances en France
Old 07-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Courtier

Out of interest where do they usually go on their summer holiday (and photo shoot) when they stay in Belgium? Do they stay at home or go a different place each year or do they have a holiday home somewhere to escape to?
Old 07-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Out of interest where do they usually go on their summer holiday (and photo shoot) when they stay in Belgium? Do they stay at home or go a different place each year or do they have a holiday home somewhere to escape to?
For the summer holiday they always go to L'Ilde D'Yeu in France.
The photo sessions are normally around the start of the summer holiday of te childern (which starts 01 july) and before the national day.

Except for this and last year (Londen) it is always in Belgium; They go on a day trip somewhere Belgian families take their childern on a day out.

The previous photo sessions:
2011: Archeosite in Aubechies (educational center)
2010: "De Pierlapont" in Loppem (educative farm)
2009: Paradisio in Brugelette (animal park)
2008: Zoo in Antwerp
2007: Parc Chlorophylle
2006: open-air museum and adventure park in Bokrijk
Old 07-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Courtier

Hmm thanks for the information. Now I really don't understand the fuss, if they always go to France then they are just doing their usual thing. Really I suppose this could be counted as an extra photo session as we saw the children at the parade. Do the family have a holiday home in Belgium? Just curious....
Old 07-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Do the family have a holiday home in Belgium? Just curious....
As from now they will be the beneficiaries of a summer castle (state owned)made available to the reigning family in Ciergnon -
ciergnon - Recherche Google

I am not aware of any personal property they own in Belgium. I am sure they have several places where to go, such as the Losange castle belonging to the family of Mathilde. Both in the southern part of the country.

Tags
king philippe, photo shoot, prince emmanuel, prince gabriel, princess eleonore, princess elisabeth, queen mathilde