The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-05-2008, 08:44 AM

Olimpia with an i !

Old 08-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Heir Apparent

It seems to me that Count d'Udekem d'Acoz strives to rigorously adhere to the old traditions. He has been fortunate so far because his daughters happily married into noble/royal families.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone knows what Mathilde's brother Charles-Henri studied/is studying?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

As I wrote on the TRF Blog, here:

‘Life is too short to be fighting’, Count Henri d’Udekem d’Acoz tells the Belgian newspaper ‘Het Nieuwsblad’. The late count Patrick d’Udekem ‘d Acoz was involved in a fight with his brothers Henri and Raoul for years, mainly about a property in Westbroek. The fight was covered in the press and even the court tried to mediate. The stroke and death of count Patrick made his brother realise that life is to short to fight and althouh it was a horrible experience it brought the family closer together.

Count Henri tells newspaper ‘Het Nieuwsblad’ that the widow of his brother, countess Anne Komorovska, visited him and his wife this weekend at his estate ’’t Couthof’. Countess Anne was accompanied by her daughter Marchioness Hélene Pallavicini and her son count Charles-Henri d’Udekem d’Acoz. According to Henri, his wife made a nice pea-soup, a fish dish and a chocolate mousse.

During her visit countess Anne told her brother-in-law that prince Philippe would also dorp by that afternoon. The prince arrived by private helicopter, which he flew himself, and also took his eldest son Gabriël with him. According to count Henri it was a very cosy visit and the prince drank a cup of coffeewith the family. It wasn’t the first time that a royal guest visited count Henri since the family feud ended. In January princess Mathilde herself visited her uncle and his wife Marie Madelaine.

The article from ’Het Nieuwsblad’ in Dutch here.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Why is Crown Princess Mathilde's mother referred to as Countess Komorovska? Why not Countess d’Udekem d’Acoz?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

That is something I did but it is usually done in the press too. I suppose it might date back from before Mathilde's marriage, when count Patrick UA was 'just' Jonkheer d'Udekem d'Acoz. The wife of a jonkheer does not get a title and would just be a plain Mrs. d'Udekem. So if such a lady is titled by birth that title is often used, as it is higher in rank.

Still, I sometimes see Countess Marie Madelaine d'Udekem d'Acoz (wife of Count Henri) referred too as Jonkvrouwe Marie-Madelaine Kervyn d'Oud Mooreghem.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:12 AM
Royal Highness

Princess Mathilde
Galerías de imágenes
Old 05-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

That's very interesting: looking at a genealogy about the descendants of italian nobleman Emanuele Filiberto Argentero, Marquess of Bersezio and Argentera, I come to know that Mathilde, through her paternal family, is:
- fourth cousin of Prince Franz Joseph von Auersperg-Trautson, husband of the former Archduchess Maria Constanza of Austria, daughter of AD Carl Ludwig;
- far cousin of the wives of Archdukes Joseph Arpad and Michael, born Princesses of Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg;
- far cousin of her own husband Prince Philippe.

Discendenti d'Emanuele Filiberto Argentero
Old 05-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for the information,mafanIt is really interesting
Old 05-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

To be more careful, she and Philippe are 8th cousins...
Old 05-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks,mafan .You are an expert
Old 07-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Gentry

I'd be surprised if this topic hadn't been discussed before, but I haven't seen it on this or any other thread and I haven't read any rule against mentioning it.

Does anyone know the circumstances of the accident that took the lives of Mathilde's grandmother and sister? For example, was one of the two women driving? Any info/insights would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can tell you it was at Cheratte, a place very close to where I am, Liège. It is a very dangerous place with several highway crossings and a bridge on the river Meuse, and there are lots of accidents there all the time.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:19 AM

In Mathilde's biography I read the following (but it's been a while, so excuse the vague details):

Mathildes grandmother and sister were on their way to a birthday party. Mathilde herself, and her mother, couldn't come along right away, so they left later. Grandmother was driving. They were driving in a small car, type Volkswagen Golf or similar.

At this terribly dangerous place, on a highway, if I'm not mistaken, suddenly a trucker lost control while driving. Maybe he was drunk, maybe he had fallen asleep... Until now the man continues to maintain he didn't do anything wrong, I'm not sure what the court has decided about it.

In any case, the car with Mathildes grandmother and sister was caught by the truck. If I remember correctly, they both died immediately.

Not even 30 minutes later, Countess Anne passed by the place of the accident, also on her way to the birthday party, and I think Mathilde was with her. She recognized the car immediately, of course. Must have been very traumatic for them.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:52 AM
Courtier

Oh my goodness, I am just discovering this thread and have seen only the first three wonderful photos at the beginning and am now so overwhelmed, that I have to stop reading further. Please pardon my exuberance.....I cannot otherwise.....just thanking you.....
Old 07-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Gentry

Thank you very much for the replies. How utterly horrific.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I am also learning about this for the first time. This is so horrible and tragic. I can't even imagine what this must have been like for the family. Thank you, Lady Leana for sharing the info.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:17 PM

It must have been terrible. Countess Anne got out of the car, and actually saw how people were trying to reanimate one victim, and how another was under a white sheet... (can't remember which was which now) She managed to tell the emergency services who the victims were, before she completely broke down. I have much respect for that. She must be a very strong woman.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for the information.I am really sorry for them.I knew they both died in the accident but I ignored the details.

Tags
crown princess mathilde, d'udekem d'acoz, family, mathilde's family