The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
Thank you for the explanation! There are some words I don't understand though....what is sylviculture? And what is a tevens oud-Burgemeester?
oud-burgemeester = ex mayor

"He studied to be an agronomist, specialized in forestry.He was for many years the mayor of Villers-la-Bonne-Eau, the small town where Mathilde and her family have always lived.
he has also been the local councillor of the city Bastogne, and now he's a judge at the court of commerce in Neufchâteau."

Old 08-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks for the help, Catherine!

Old 08-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Gentry

The row between count Patrick and his brothers Raoul and Henri has more than one cause.
There was some discussions about the inheritance of their parents belongings, I believe it was Patrick against the other two. That may have been the reason for Count Patrick to buy Losanges in order to get some distance between him and his siblings.
But the Count is still very attached to his childhood home in Proven, near Poperinge and still has a family grave there. Daughter Marie-Alix was burried in Proven if I remember correctly. He also wanted his children to learn Dutch so CP Mathilde went to stay with in Proven with her uncle Henri (or was it Raoul). Count Patrick also bought a little cottage in Proven. But a few years later his brother Henri (mayor of Proven) condemned the cottage (meaning that the cottage was in a terrible state that he couldn't allow anyone to live in it). Count Henri claims he didn't know his brother was the owner, Count Patrick states exactly the opposite. Don't know how it was solved though.

Count Henri married a few years back at Christmas. His wife to be was the widow of one of his best friends. And I believe he's not the mayor of Proven anymore...

The engagement of Marie-Jose and Umberto was indeed finalised at Losange, but also another famous couple spend some lovely days there. In the 1930's the castle belonged to a lady-in-waiting of Queen Elisabeth of Belgium. Crown Prince Leopold (the later king Leopold III) was a frequent guest there. There is also some evidence that princess Astrid of Sweden (later Queen Astrid) was invited to Belgium so it is suggested that some of the pictures taken in the spring/summer of 1926 of Crown Prince Leopold fishing on the estate were taken by princess Astrid. Astrid does not appear on any of the photo's though, but they did visit the castle soon after their honeymoon and there seem to be some pictures of that event, although I have never seen them.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

the castle of Losange was originally bought by count Patrick d'Udekem's mother.

When she died, she had made practically no will. That's when the row between the brothers started, about who was entitled to how much. Before her death she had already passed on the estate of Losange to Patrick (probably because he was specialized in forestry).

A few years ago there was a court case between the brothers. Patrick wanted to rebuild a little house that was completely in ruin. The house was on a piece of land in Proven (part of Poperinge), at the time Henri was mayor of Proven. He did not want to usher a building permit because the house was in ruin. According to Patrick, Henri used his function to deny him something that he was entitled to (in Dutch this is called "belangenvermenging", no idea what it is in English).

Patrick won this case but he still doesn't have the permit.

The reason Patrick was so keen to get this building permit was because his daughter Marie-Alix is burried close to the house in ruin, in the family grave, a long way from the castle of Losange.

Intresting to know is that Patrick's daughter Hélène acted as his lawyer.

None of the brothers has ever turned to the media in this case, they tried to keep it indoors. Didn't really work of course.

Some mini pics of the house in ruin (ww.gva.be):

Old 03-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

As posted by Zoe Louise on the Benelux Royals MB, very charming...

Quote:
(Translated)
FATHER OF PRINCESS MATILDE PUTS FAMILY PROBLEMS ON DISPLAY...IN A TV PROGRAM
The father the future queen of the Belgians, Patrick d' Udekem d' Acoz, after three years of verbal and legal confrontations with his brother Henri, has decided to count the problems of the family through a magazine and a program of television to put to the Belgian citizens to the last current of trifulcas between the d' Udekem d' Acoz. Patrick and Henri have been years discussing by the inheritance of their late mother and by a house in ruinous state that Patrick bought at the end of the Nineties in Poperinge (Flandes the West) for his Heléne daughter and rest of the family, in Proven, the native Earth of the grandparents to pater to us of princess Matilde. The house, declared in 1999 like unhealthy inhabitable and by a municipal decree emitted by Henri d' Udekem d' Acoz, then, mayor of that locality, was sold by this one without previous warning having created a conflict of interests between the families that has not been able to solve. Perhaps the father of the princess accused in his televising appearance to his brother Henri of to him to have threatened of death two years ago recalling the style aristocrat with whom the horsemen of their ancestry solved to their differences and their insults: “If he now had to turn around, he killed to you right here. The father of the Princess described to his brother Henri like “a vulgar thief, a pathological mentiroso, a manipulator and a tyrant”. Patrick d' Udekem added that, before the continuous threats, he had taken precautions and that its daughter, princess Matilde, “supports to me completely”.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinses Lauren10
TRANSLATED:
Council member of the city bast Aachen
Elisabeth, with prince Alfonso Pallavincini
bast Aachen = a misspelling of Bastogne (in french) or Bastenaken (in Dutch)

And Alfonso Pallavincini is no Prince but a Marchioness.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BRUSSELS - Belgium has a royal family by which the press licks off its fingers: at least one scandal in every week.

This time it are the father and the uncles of Belgium's future Queen whom are rolling over the street in a fight. Well, that is an euphemism: Patrick Comte d'Udekem d'Acoz (Mathilde's father) accuses his brother Henri for threathening him to death, two years ago: 'If I had a gun right now, I would kill you right now!' so stated Mathilde's uncle, whose noble family was founded in an era, that this kind of problems were settled with a blanc sable in the early hours.

Mathilde’s father has sought the media and tells his story in three episodes in a gossip magazine. He had no problems at all to appear on Belgian television yesterday and hang his family's dirty laundry out of the window. He openly named his brother Henri 'an ordinary thief, a pathological liar, a manipulator and a tyrant'.

But Princess Mathilde's father, Patrick Comte d'Udekem d'Acoz, has no message to that. 'She [Mathilde] supports me completely and I have taken my precautions against my brother'.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxsteve
Her family looks so classy. She is definitely the perfect CP!
I know this was orignally posted back in August of 2006 but still just more than 7 months later and I'm not so sure we could say this now. Just goes to show you how quick things can change. It seems really common to air ones dirty laundry and use ones connection to a royal family in doing that is popular right now.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.

BRUSSELS - Belgium has a royal family by which the press licks off its fingers: at least one scandal in every week.

It is all about a mansion in a state of decay, situated in the West-Flemish municipality of Poperinge. It was acquired by Patrick Comte d'Udekem d'Acoz (Mathilde's father) but his elder brother Henri, who accidentally is Mayor of Poperinge, declared this property uninhabitable, making it worthless. This caused bad temper between the brothers.

Mathilde’s father has sought the media and tells his story in three episodes in a gossip magazine. He had no problems at all to appear on Belgian television yesterday and hang his family's dirty laundry out of the window. He openly named his brother Henri 'an ordinary thief, a pathological liar, a manipulator and a tyrant'.

The royal family, that already has to deal with an illegitimate daughter by King Albert, an Heir that commits the one stupidity after the other, a Prince which lets his villa to be renovated with Defence money and a Princess which is heavily involved in a Flemish/Walloon war inside the Belgian Red Cross, now scrupulously tries to remain stoney silent.

But Princess Mathilde's father, Patrick Comte d'Udekem d'Acoz, has no message to that. 'She [Mathilde] supports me completely and I have taken my precautions against my brother'.
I think it was very stupid of Patrick to go and tell a gossip magazine about his "little" issue and drag Mathilde and the already "shaky" and "damaged" Belgium Royal Family into it by saying that his daughter supports him. I beleive that Mathilde has made a huge mistake by taking sides and telling her father that she supports him - this might be the evidence that some people need to suggest that the BRF [can't think of an adjective to fit this situation]..rotton/no family values/power hungry. I think that this little debarcle over some property between two brothers is going to the extreme - calling your own brother a liar/manipulator and a tyrant [I'm sorry but who uses the word tyrant now-a-days to describe a family member it's not the 1600's its the 21st century]. Sorry if I sound like I'm bashing good "angelic", "intelligent" Mathilde; I write this post just to say that if Mathilde has made any mistakes so far as CP it is this.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by flctylu
- calling your own brother a liar/manipulator and a tyrant [I'm sorry but who uses the word tyrant now-a-days to describe a family member it's not the 1600's its the 21st century

You forget that the Messires Henri, Patrick and Raoul d'Udekem d'Acoz are scions of a mediaeval noble dynasty, all grew up with martial portraits of ancestors, with harnesses, crests and swords hanging all around at the family castle. 'Thou art a Tyrant!' maybe is common conversation at family dinners.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Serene Highness

Red face

Quote:
'Thou art a Tyrant!'
Funny Henri, very funny. Maybe I should try and slip "Thou art a tyrant" into my family gathering I have to go to tomorrow it could liven the event up or get me quite a few stares.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:

And Alfonso Pallavincini is no Prince but a Marchioness.
Well, as long as Alfonso is not appearing in drag, I think we should stick to Marquess, don't you agree?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by flctylu
I think it was very stupid of Patrick to go and tell a gossip magazine about his "little" issue and drag Mathilde and the already "shaky" and "damaged" Belgium Royal Family into it by saying that his daughter supports him. I beleive that Mathilde has made a huge mistake by taking sides and telling her father that she supports him - this might be the evidence that some people need to suggest that the BRF [can't think of an adjective to fit this situation]..rotton/no family values/power hungry. I think that this little debarcle over some property between two brothers is going to the extreme - calling your own brother a liar/manipulator and a tyrant [I'm sorry but who uses the word tyrant now-a-days to describe a family member it's not the 1600's its the 21st century]. Sorry if I sound like I'm bashing good "angelic", "intelligent" Mathilde; I write this post just to say that if Mathilde has made any mistakes so far as CP it is this.
Just because one person, parent or not, says one thing does not neccessarily mean that it is true. Until Mathilde herself says so, which is highly unlikely, we have to assume that she is reamaining clear of the debacle, as she should.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:36 AM
Administrator

The whole matter was discussed on a dutch tv programme last week. What struck one of the commenters (Jan Vandenberghe) said was that they had this fight for years, even before Mathilde married. However the family thus far has been so discrete that nobody knew. Both uncles were interviewed at the time of the marrage and they only had praise for Mathilde. I remember even Henri commenting on the loss of Marie-Alix, with warm words for his brother and sister-in-law, etc So this family has always been extremely discrete. I wondered what hapened now that made Patrick decide that it could not go on like this any longer.

They also showed the house that Patrick bought in Poperingen (near the grave of his daughter) and that was declared unhabitable by his brother Henri, the mayor. I must say that from the loks of it, it seemed that Henri was right though, the place seemed to be falling into pieces.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

the translation of "belangenvermenging" in english is "conflict of interest"
Old 05-10-2007, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Count Raoul d'Udekem d'Acoz spoke with a VTM programm,e two days ago about the fight he and his brother Henri have with their brother Patrick. In 2000 the King acted as a mediator between the quarreling brothers. This resulted in a contract about the devision of their mothers inheritance which was signed by all three brothers. A few days later Patrick came back on this contract and said he did not agree with it anymore.

I believe the brothers will meet each other in court in a few days/weeks. The inheritance of their mother was estimated at 35 million euros.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Any news about Mathilde's sister Marchioness Elisabeth Pallavicini?
Old 12-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Administrator

As posted by Catherine on the Benelux Royals MB:

Quote:
Count Patrick and countess Hélène d'Udekem d'Acoz (father and sister of princess Mathilde) were condemned yesterday by the correctional court of Ieper for infractions to the public environment. They will not receive a punishment or fine.

Father d'Udekem had bought a small house on a terrain close to the cemetary where his daughter Marie-Alix's grave is.

Because of a wrong advise he had started renovation works without a building permit. The construction council filed a complaint against him. His daughter Hélène acted as his sollicitor, if I'm not mistaken.

Meanwhile the house has been torn down, on the order of Patrick d'Udekem. They are trying to get a permit to build a new house on the grounds.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Great news : Mathilde's sister, Elisabeth, Marquess of Pallavicini, is pregnant with her first child. Paris Match Belgium has published a pic of the couple and it really shows !
Old 04-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Nobility

It's nice to know that Princess Mathilde is an aristocrat and the Prince of Belgium married her for love..She's the only Crown Princess nowadays who belong to a noble family...Its very rare nowadays to hear a royal prince marrying a girl from a royal or an aristocrat family with the exception of Prince ERnst of Hanover and the royals in the middle east..

Old 06-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Aaccording to Paris Match the name of the daughter of Mathilde's sister, Marchioness Elisabeth Pallavicini, is called Olympia.

Tags
crown princess mathilde, d'udekem d'acoz, family, mathilde's family