Philippe, Mathilde and Family on Vacation in Egypt, Oct. 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johann

Courtier
Philippe, Mathilde and their children currently on vacation in Egypt. They also took Mathilde´s mother Anne with them to catch a bit of sunshine after these exhausting last months.
Other Belgians are certainly fond of travelling too and that´s why they have been spotted there by a Belgian tourist who was eager enough to show of his pictures to the evening news of VTM (Flemish commercial TV station). Guess his “vacation fund” benefited from this stunt. And big bonus, he appeared on the tv screen. :cool: There was not much to talk about though. All he had to tell was that they did us the hotel pool since the pool of their vacation villa was not heated. And according to him they were not recognisable as VIPs at all; those who didn´t know them did regard them as ordinary family on vacation.

Unfortunately Egypt was also the location of a terrible bus accident today, six Belgians have been killed, 26 are injured, four of them are in serious condition. The BRF expressed their deepest sympathies for the families involved and Philippe and Mathilde will visit some of the victims who have been brought to hospitals in Cairo this afternoon.
Source: Het Nieuwsblad - Filip en Mathilde brengen bezoek aan slachtoffers busongeval Egypte

Although I do not like Egypt at all (it is not a safe place to holiday), I would say that it is nice to learn that Crown Princely couple is on holiday and behave like a usual family. I hope Belgians will not criticise Crown Princess Mathilde and Crown Prince Phillipe too much.

Bravo for Princess Mathilde, to carry on with her duties, now that the worst first weeks are over. The best cure for sadness IMO is to get busy and understand, that however hard, life goes on.

Although I do not like Egypt at all (it is a safe place to holiday), I would say that it is nice to learn that Crown Princely couple is on holiday and behave like a usual family. I hope Belgians will not criticise Crown Princess Mathilde and Crown Prince Phillipe too much.

Why would we criticise them for going on holiday? It is "autumn holidays" in belgium so the all chiderns are one week off and a lot of belgian families go on holiday now!

I was unaware of the fact that it is the time for Belgians to enjoy holiday. Additionally, the Belgian Royals seem to attract more negative than positive attention from media ... in my personal opinion.

I was unaware of the fact that it is the time for Belgians to enjoy holiday. Additionally, the Belgian Royals seems to attract more negative than positive attention from media ... in my personal opinion.
Actually the news clip wasn’t critical at all, just vacuous– but that´s another story. :rolleyes: VTM sure expressed sympathy for this family holiday after a very difficult period. And just like stephanievl said, it´s difficult to criticise them for doing the very same as so many other Belgians.:cool:
There is also positive press coverage Al Bina, it´s probably just not mentioned that much here. Philippe´s performance during the economic mission to Argentina/Uruguay this month for example was described in a very positive way by the accompanying Het Laatste Nieuws journalist. And just yesterday the Gazet van Antwerpen had an interview with Sister Jeanne Devos, a Belgian nun who works in the slums of Mumbai. King Albert and Queen Paola will visit her project during their state visit next week. She seems to have a special bond with Philippe and Mathilde though and mentioned that Philippe lobbied for her domestic workers movement when he met the Indian president, something she found courageous. And she also had lots of praise for Mathilde, who is according to her a natural when it comes to interact with vulnerable children.
More about the great Jeanne Devos here: Jeanne Devos

I know that Crown Prince Phillipe and Crown Princess Mathilde are hard-working and do an outstanding job during the economic missions to various countries such as Russia, Bahrain, or Qatar. I agree with you, johann, noting that their work attracts lesser attention than controversies associated with the royal family. Often I get an impression that Crown Princely couple are somewhat pilloried on a regular basis, but then my impressions can be inaccurate because I do not live in Belguim. Anyway I am glad to know that Crown Prince Phillipe, Crown Princess Mathilde, and their adorable children have a good time in Egypt.

Johann, can you say in which clip and at what time the pictures on VTM where shown? Thanks

Mathilde and her family certainly deserve a very restful, relaxing holiday after these difficult past months. I hope that they are able to get the peace and quiet that they deserve.

This is not the place to discuss how safe Egypt is or is not. Any more posts regarding this topic will be deleted without further notice.

Than you for posting the pics of the CP family of Belgium. I appreciate it! I've been thinking of them a lot lately. It was nice to see pictures of them again. :flowers:

Although I do not like Egypt at all (it is not a safe place to holiday), I would say that it is nice to learn that Crown Princely couple is on holiday and behave like a usual family. I hope Belgians will not criticise Crown Princess Mathilde and Crown Prince Phillipe too much.

O/T

Egypt is very much a safe place to holiday.No more danger than anywhere else.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom