The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > King Philippe & Queen Mathilde and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-24-2006, 04:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina
I agree. Being gay with 3 children is quite something...

People against monarchy have always to make up weird and sensacionalists stories to call the attention, but call "gay" to Prince Phillipe is too much!
The guy is as straight as it gets

Old 03-24-2006, 05:01 AM
Aristocracy

I also think that the 'clumsyness' or stiffness of Philippe has a lot to do with the preparation of his advisors. Two exmples were given in the program 'Royalty'
At a certain moment they give cisors to the prince, but he didn't know whatfor.
An other moment he gives a wine decanter to a moslim
Those are big mistakes of the advisors. It is their task to know exactly minute per minute what is going to happen. They have to be aware of the culture of the land they visit, the persons the prince will meet.
Also, the prince doesn't have to remember the names of all the members on the trip, the advisors have to tell it to him, before he talks to them.
In my opinion the prince gives them to much credit. He should have renewed his 'cabinet' years ago. And attract young dynanmic skilled people.

Cause one can see he does really his best. But indeed he doesn't has the flair of his father. And the biggest difference is, I think, that the king is a good old optimistic person, and Philippe has more a pessimistic/neutral look Although he has a sense of humor. And he was making a good impression on the pictures of South-Africa.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

well, if Philippe's staff is causing him to make a mistake then it is responsibility to take care of that. if a staff member hands him a decanter that he then hands to muslim, he needs to speak to that staff member afterward. If the person keeps making mistakes they should be fired.

it is only normal that mistakes will happen once in awhile, but if it becomes a pattern then the responsibility to fire the people who made the mistakes and hire a competent staff is squarely on Philippe's shoulders.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:52 AM
Serene Highness

What are these people talking about? Philippe is great, just the way he is. Everyone is different and he's handling his duties with great care. I like his quiet ways and he seems to be a fun guy too (at least to me). I always found his Dutch just fine, so I definitely think the papers should stop bothering him (and Mathilde too. Her Dutch is terrific and her accent is charming) about that.

But if his staff is making him look bad because they don't inform him properly, he should dismiss them. I have to agree on that one with martha-louise and pollyemma. :)
Old 03-24-2006, 06:58 AM
Serene Highness

Thank you polly on this article:) .

I am sure that these kind of critics must hurt a sensible person as Phillippe :( ...

For what I see Phillippe has improved a lot in the shy and stiff aspect after his marriage with sweet Mathilde.

But if he does have those problems, which I doubt in the measure the media refer, there are technics to help him deal with without starting conjuntures saying he will in future explode and so on.

Phillippe won't do that, I am sure. He was raised to be a King, a Noble and he will do what necessary to honor his destiny. And he has Princess Mathilde and three sweet Princes to help him through the difficult periods that may exists.

As for the advisors they have to change... a person like Phillipe should have great shadow behind him... and can't be a person that thinks and acts like Philippe... must be quite the opposite so all fronts are covered.

But thinking again, 30/40 years back one can't forget all the gossip around Albert and Paola... saying how different they were from eachother, how happy and smilling Paola was suffering near the serious and stiff Albert... and how those things would separate them... and here they are awarded by TRF Members at the Couple Loving Looks and Gestures Thread!

And to be a great King in a foreign country one doesn't have to dress, think, act accordingly that country (although he must be fully aware of traditions that are important to avoid misunderstandings) but to have a compromise towards the objectives of that visit. I prefer a quiet King who listens to the proposals and makes things work to a King who dances the konga eat bugs and know nothing about what the trip was about...

[quote=pollyemma]Yesterday I was reading a Belgian newspaper called “De Morgen.” quote]
Old 03-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

The report of the mission in Royalty was apalling. Only criticism, and unfounded too. In Place Royal they gave a really good view of the mission in all its aspects, showing Philippe's sense of humor, and actually showing interviews, things he was saying. Nothing of all that in the Flemish program, only predjudices...
Old 03-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Aristocracy

Me too, I think the report of the mission was just terrible. The editor-in-chief Pol Vandendriessche of the program puts himself too much on the front, giving his own unfounded critics. It seems that he doesn't want a program that extols the royal family, by being critical. But he does it in a very wrong way. And I don't get his point, what does he want to achieve with it. He probably thinks he has some power towards the royal family, 'cause he knows that's he's being watched. He misuses the medium to express his own thoughts.
This program is watched by people who carries the royal family in their hearts. And that's clearly not the fact with Vandendriessche. In my opion the program has lost some of his charm since he is editor-in-chief...
Vandendriessche is a bit comparable with Vandenberghe, both royaltywatchers, but in an unhealty way. Under the veil of objectivism they merely like to mock.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Serene Highness

I don't know what it is with journalism these days. It seems like they all provide us with their opinions in stead of giving the plain, objective details. It seems like it's always up to us to decide what is true and what is just the subjective image they want us to believe. *Sigh* :(
Old 03-24-2006, 08:28 AM
Aristocracy

I disagree with this criticism of the mission. if anything the south africa trip was the best I have seen philipe and ofcource mathilde was her radiant self. He seemed very relaxed and engaged. I think the criticism are based on anti-monarchy attitudes. Belgians should be proud of their future king and queen. (btw is there a video of their mission to south africa).
Old 03-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathérine Bergeyck
The report of the mission in Royalty was apalling. Only criticism, and unfounded too. In Place Royal they gave a really good view of the mission in all its aspects, showing Philippe's sense of humor, and actually showing interviews, things he was saying. Nothing of all that in the Flemish program, only predjudices...
Thanks for that information, Catherine -- it does put everything in perspective.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know where to put this:o , but where can you find interviews or conversations of Phillippe?, I want to hear his voice whether is french, dutch or english I don't care

Thanks in advance to those who can help
Old 03-25-2006, 07:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

more pics from Olycom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000001w.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	234211   Click image for larger version

Name:	000002w.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	234212   Click image for larger version

Name:	000005w.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	234213   Click image for larger version

Name:	000006w.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	234214  

Name:	000008w.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	234215   Click image for larger version

Name:	000003w.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	234216   Click image for larger version

Name:	000004w.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	234217   Click image for larger version

Name:	000010w.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	234218  

Name:	000011w.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	234219  
Old 03-25-2006, 07:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

From this week's point de vue

Old 03-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

I certainly hope Philippe will find ways to loosen up a little. Being a King means connecting with people and if he has a hard time then he needs to seriously work on it. Mathilde is walking a thin line between being the wonderful supporting spouse and being the one "wearing the pants" in the family. She don't want to seem like a mother supporting a son either. They have a tough job to find a public persona that they and the Belgium people are comfortable with. Royal families are quite disposable today and I hope they will have the support to continue the monarchy.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Gentry

The row on CP Philippe continues...

After the attact on him in the newspapers and on television the Belgian Court and Prince Philippe agreed to give an interview to two Belgian newspapers.
One Flemmish, one French, just to keep the ballance, like always.

Anyway, it was published today and now there's another row, because there was a 'dt'-mistake in the Dutch translation.

It's a bit of difficult Dutch grammar, in the present tense, you add can have 'dt' if the verb ends on a 'd' and has to be used in a present tense in a he or she form. I don't exactly know which verb it was, but anyway... A mistake was found and now he gets the blame for that too.

Might I add that a lot of Belgian children stuggle with "dt"? Even Dutch (Flemmish) raised ones? Even I have to write and think carefully!

It's even worse if you see the list of people that had the written answers in their hands before they were published. You want a list?

There goes:
a) Prince Philippe
b) His entourage (his advisors)
c) Members of the Court
d) The Prime Minster, Guy Verhofstadt (after the last row all speeches and such have to pass the prime minister in order to get the green light to use it)
e) The editors

Anyway, a lot of people saw the answers and the translations and no one saw the mistake. So why do they put the blame on Philippe?

He'll even get more reserved then ever! Every time he opens his mouth he's got to shut up, and if he doesn't speak up, he's lame and to stupid to have an oppinion of his own? What the hell do they want?

Anyway, I do think that there has to be some serious talking about the entourage of the prince as they are the primerily advisors to the prince.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, I heard it on Dutch radio this afternoon. I think it's just too stupid for words to blame Philippe for the 'dt' thing. I'm a student Dutch in university and even I sometimes make the same mistake while writing too fast or when I'm tired and not taking care of my grammar too carefully! We're all just human, you know. People who say they don't make mistakes in their grammar are just plain arrogant, no matter in what language. Everybody makes mistakes, people are just not aware of them!

So, just my two cents.
More power to Philippe! :p
Old 03-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie
More power to Philippe! :p
All right!

Certain Flemish media are just constantly on the look out for anything to blame the prince for, really anything. Anyway the PM read the prince's answer before the interview was published so why no criticsim on him?

BTW I'll post a translation of the interview in the Ph & M current events thread.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:38 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathérine Bergeyck

BTW I'll post a translation of the interview in the Ph & M current events thread.
Thanks Cathérine! :)
Old 03-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina
Thanks Cathérine! :)
Ditto that! Thanks!
Old 03-26-2006, 01:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Whether the criticism is valid or not Philippe is going to have to deal with it. The divide between the various factions in Belgium will most likely use him as their symbol and he will have to find a way to diffuse the issue. The future of the monarchy rests with him - rightly or wrongly.

Tags
crown prince phillipe, crown princess mathilde, duchess of brabant, duke of brabant, economic mission, mathilde, official visit, phillipe, south africa