The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-01-2016, 10:30 PM
Gentry

What grade would each of them be in the American system. I tried looking up Belgian system but its not really adding up. Princess Elisabeth is only one year older than me but It seems like from what I looked at she would be a junior or senior.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
Elisabeth goes to the 3rd year of secondary school, Gabriel to his 1st year.
Eléonore goes to the 2nd year of elementary school, Emmanuel to his 5th year.

In Belgium it's 3 or 4 years of pre school (2,5 - 5 years old) then 6 years of elementary school (6 - 12) then 6 years of secondary school (12 - 18 years old) then off to university or college.

Add one year to this.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:32 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

It is a pity that the photograher made the paparazzi photo of prince Emmanuel being comforted by his father. It should not have been made and should not ahve been published IMO. I have not seen the photos on any Belgian news outlet yet fortunately.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Why is he crying ? Doesn't he like the school or does his learning disability make it too painful to go to school ?

Sorry, I don't mean to be insensitive. It is just that children of his age normally no longer cry on the first day of school, so I wonder what is going on.
How does this Eureka school work? When Emmanuel went there for his first year there, some users here explained to me that he was to spend a few years there and then go back to a regular school. Yet it has been what? 3/4 years now and he is still going there. I'm just assuming he's not happy to be back there again and he just wants to go to school with his siblings.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Why is he crying ? Doesn't he like the school or does his learning disability make it too painful to go to school ?

Sorry, I don't mean to be insensitive. It is just that children of his age normally no longer cry on the first day of school, so I wonder what is going on.
Those pictures broke my heart, my grandson is 10 yrs old with special needs too. He has been at the same small school for 3 years now but he cried the first day and didn't want his dad or me to leave him. At his age he knows he is "different" now and school is very hard for him, he still can't read or hardly write but still wants so much to be like everyone else, I am sure Prince Emmanuel is feeling some of the same things. Thankfully my grandson came home from school a happy boy, hopefully the little Prince will feel the same way
Old 09-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

I read somewhere that he stays in internat all the week, perhaps the internat is too hard for him?
Old 09-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Heir Apparent

I never read he stayed in Internat.... I really doubt it... these pix where our King tries to confort him are really precious and show so much love !
Old 09-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Gentry

Wait so is Prince Emmanuel a special needs child, I haven't read through the threads yet? And is that the reason he goes to the Eureka school?
Old 09-02-2016, 09:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHighness 2002 View Post
Wait so is Prince Emmanuel a special needs child, I haven't read through the threads yet? And is that the reason he goes to the Eureka school?
He has a learning disability, dyslexia according to hello, the disability revealed when he began the school a few years ago.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Is it a boarding school? If so, I can understand his tears. Sensitive boys do cry, they shouldn't have taken that picture or published it. Not good to be singled out like this
Old 09-03-2016, 03:55 AM
Courtier

I think Philippe is particularly close to Emmanuel due to his sensitive nature, I've seen pics of him taking the boy to air shows, to have ice cream on his birthday, etc.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Eureka school is a private school for normal to highly gifted children between 7 and 14 years old, with a learning disability. Though court has never confirmed this, several royalty journalists in Belgium have stated off the record that Emmanuel has dyslexia.

The prince does not stay overnight, he goes home every day. By car it's about 30 minutes from Kessel-Lo to Laken.

Eureka Onderwijs: dagonderwijs, vakantiecursussen en advies | Eureka Onderwijs
Old 09-03-2016, 06:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you for the answer about a possible internat, I read this new in a royal french blog.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:45 AM
Majesty

P. Elisabeth, P. Gabriël, P. Emmanuel and P. Eléonore - News and Pictures Par...

I work with children with special needs and many of them cry on the first day of school, regardless of age. It could be a change in the routine, anxiety about new teachers and therapists, etc. I'm glad the king was there to comfort his son. I hope Emmanuel had a good day and was able to feel a little bit better.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:03 AM
Royal Highness

It might have been because a lot of people were all taking photos I think that would be stressful if he has a few problems

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-03-2016, 12:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree Royal Rob that he's aware that the press will be photographing him and this distinguishes him as being different from his siblings. IMHO Emmanuel's placement is appropriate but I hardly think that he wants this reported upon every year when school begins.

I also agree with everyone who has noticed that Phillipe appears to be a very good and caring father.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I agree Royal Rob that he's aware that the press will be photographing him and this distinguishes him as being different from his siblings. IMHO Emmanuel's placement is appropriate but I hardly think that he wants this reported upon every year when school begins.

I also agree with everyone who has noticed that Phillipe appears to be a very good and caring father.
that's exactly why the royal entourage prevented the pics to be published at first. yet, several news outlet thought this to be a bad move. Prince Emmanuel knows he's in a different position than his siblings, that somehow people will look at him differently. but in the end he's just a boy and he needs his space and he deserves to have these little moments as any other child.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It was nice to see the photos of the Belgian children starting school again. However, I agree with those who think the fact that the photo of Emmanuel upset was published is a little unacceptable. I'm not around children with special needs much but I can imagine that it must be nerving for Emmanuel, and the clicking of the cameras was most likely not helping how he felt about returning to school. I hope that Emmanuel isn't aware of the photos (though in the age of social media, sadly several photos online one would rather not see is quite difficult) and that he managed to enjoy himself at school in the end.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Emmanuel's 11th birthday
https://twitter.com/MonarchieBe/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Old 10-25-2016, 03:22 AM
Heir Apparent

New photo of Princess Elisabeth for the 15th Birthday! A beautiful young lady!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvl8YuFXgAEgXty.jpg

Tags
prince emmanuel, prince gabriel, princess eleonore, princess elisabeth