King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Family, General News 2, Sep. 2017 - Dec. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Belgian monarchy has a lower profile and is not quite as glamorous as the Dutch and Swedish ones. Besides, Queens Wilhemina, Juliana and Beatrix were all married to Germans, and Queen Silvia is German herself. It is not surprising that there would be more interest in Germany in the Dutch and Swedish royal houses than in the Belgians.

I´m not sure if this is all about nationality. Albert/ Paola antics from the 1960s and 70s as well as Fabiolas infertility was regularly covered and I am sure many adult people in that period knew who the belgian King and Queen were - but in the 1990s interest somehow vanished.
There was after all great interest for Queen Silvia in the late 1970s because she was german. We even wrote an essay about the royal couple´s state visit at school...!

The Belgian monarchy has a lower profile and is not quite as glamorous as the Dutch and Swedish ones. Besides, Queens Wilhemina, Juliana and Beatrix were all married to Germans, and Queen Silvia is German herself. It is not surprising that there would be more interest in Germany in the Dutch and Swedish royal houses than in the Belgians.

And we can add to that the international popularity of Queen Maxima.

Indeed, Tessy confirmed it in her Instagram, Gabriel and Emmanuel are the same age and are probably playmates when the entire family (since Belgian + Luxembourg are so closely related) gets together :D

Last edited:
:previous: Is there any information on which members of the Belgian and Luxembourg royal families enjoy the closest personal relationships? I suppose King Philippe, Grand Duke Henri and Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume must be included since the latter two were chosen as a witness at Philippe's wedding and a godparent to his son respectively.

They have always be closed . But Princess Margaretha was very close to King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola.

Tomorrow evening the TV show "Thank you for the music" will be shown at the Belgian television channel een at 20:40, the Palace shared some photos:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Family, General News, Part 2 (Sept. 2017 - present)

The TV show will run for 7 weeks. Every week there will be a kid that goes to the palace and shows Mathilde his musical talent.
Kinderen*tonen muzikaal talent aan koningin Mathilde voor "Merci voor de muziek" | VRT NWS https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2019/0...ngin-mathilde-voor-merci-voor-de-muziek.html/

Dutch TV ran a similar program in which Maxima welcomed little musicians at her home.

Last edited:

In the video you can also spot Prince Emmanuel. Queen Mathilde is the only one missing. I suppose she is enjoying a Sunday morning alone at home :lol:

:previous:

According to the official calendar Mathilde is on her way to New York City for a stay from November 22 to November 25. She'll participate in meetings and activities of the United Nations, attend the 7th International Conference on Sustainable Development at Columbia University and will visit the internationally renowned Juilliard School of the Arts :flowers:

Mathilde's on her way to the UN climate conference.

Nice to see that the whole family always get stuck in with Car Free Day (and nice that this year it coincided with Mathilde's climate conference!). It was Car Free Day here in England too on Sunday, but the BRF have never promoted it like the Belgian royals do (or other royals for that matter, if they have Car Free Days in other European countries).

That is unique for them - as far as I know. They have had cameras before, i.e. for when Philippe was 100 days king, but sitting down like this for an intimate interview is their first.

That is unique for them - as far as I know. They have had cameras before, i.e. for when Philippe was 100 days king, but sitting down like this for an intimate interview is their first.

Together yes, this is a first, as far as I remember, but he has given a long interview years ago when he was still Duke of Brabant.

I wonder if there will be a dinner to mark the 20th anniversary of the Royal Wedding?

Today, December 3, King Philippe and Queen Mathilde received eight personalities from the cultural world for a working lunch entitled 'Arts and Sciences' at Laeken Castle:

** monarchie: Déjeuner de travail **

Two new pictures from the Kings as celebrate today their 20th wedding anniversary.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EK61noUXsAE4LGi?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EK61noTWwAo-UXy?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

They will celebrate this day in an intimate circle

The english translation from the interview were Royal Couple gave for the 20 years of their marriage

Queen Mathilde: INTERVIEW Philippe & Mathilde 20 ans déjà

Last edited by a moderator:
The RTBF documentary about their anniversary will be aired by één tonight.

Really nice relaxed photos of the King and Queen to mark their 20th Wedding Anniversary.

Lovely photos of Philippe and Mathilde. They seem to be the most relaxed and casual out of King Albert's children and their families and add a breath of fresh air to what has always been an otherwise stiff looking family.

Very kind that they took the time and effort to transcribe and translate the interview on the blog. From the few clips that I have seen they looked more relaxed than usual.

Last edited:
Very kind that they took the time and effort to transcribe and translate the interview on the blog. From the few clips that I have seen they looked more relaxed than usual.

I think they are very relaxed in general right now, much more than they used to be (specially Philippe, who always seemed to be so tense and stiff), all these years together, raising a family, learning how to rule together have given them a lot of confidence, which in turn makes them better monarchs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom