The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-12-2018, 05:53 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Nice to see the photos and video from the family's skiing holiday, it looks as if they are enjoying themselves - and it seems very snowy in Verbier! Were Philippe and Mathilde speaking French or Flemish in the video? I couldn't quite tell, but it sounded like French, which I was surprised by since I read that after they sent their children to Flemish speaking schools it was their first language at home (even though I am aware that most of the other Belgian royals are French speaking).

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Nice to see the photos and video from the family's skiing holiday, it looks as if they are enjoying themselves - and it seems very snowy in Verbier! Were Philippe and Mathilde speaking French or Flemish in the video? I couldn't quite tell, but it sounded like French, which I was surprised by since I read that after they sent their children to Flemish speaking schools it was their first language at home (even though I am aware that most of the other Belgian royals are French speaking).
IIRC they've always been a francophone family, even though the children are going to a Flemish school. If you've listen them speaking in Flemish between them it is because, on "official" visits they tend to respect the language of the place they're visiting (if they're in Wallonia they will speak French, if in Flanders they will speak Flemish). But, in their private life, they still speak mostly French (I don't know if they still have their Flemish a nanny/governess with them who of course speaks flemish with them).

Old 02-12-2018, 11:56 PM
Courtier

The two oldest are super tall now, won't be long before both are taller than their parents
Old 02-13-2018, 02:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

At home French is used. With their nannies, at school and with many friends they speak Dutch. The kids also often speak Dutch among them 4, a journalist once heard them argueing and calling each other names in Dutch :-)

I believe at least Elisabeth has private classes German?
Old 02-13-2018, 06:50 AM
Courtier

I love Mathilde's bright smile...she looks so happy to be back with her family after her visit in Ghana. And how lovely Philippe asking his wife to pose next to him <3
Old 02-13-2018, 04:00 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Thank you to those of you who answered my question about the language the family speak - that makes sense

Old 02-13-2018, 04:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore View Post

I believe at least Elisabeth has private classes German?
She is learning German and English. I assumed it was in school.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
Her father got a master's degree in political science from Stanford University in the US. It is highly likely that attending a university in the UK or the US will also be part of Élisabeth's education at some point, so she will have plenty of opportunity to perfect her English language skills.

Right now, I would assume she is fully bilingual in Dutch (her school language) and French (her home language), whereas she probably has a limited command of English and German as foreign languages, which is already impressive for a 16-year-old.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and their children are currently for a winter holidays in Verbier, Switzerland and every year they are the guests there of their close friends, Baron Guy Ullens de Schooten and his wife, baroness Mimi Ullens de Schooten.

Queen Mathilde: Residence: Swiss Chalet
Old 02-15-2018, 03:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
Depends on what she's actually studying. Her Dutch speaking school gives French and English to all secundary school pupils. German or Spanish can also be chosen extra if you're in a "languages" department.

So she's bilingual Dutch-French, and like most Belgian teenagers (at least the ones in Dutch speaking schools, and who watch Flemish TV where English is subtitled and never dubbed) she'll have a very good level of English.

I *think* the German could be a private class.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

According a belgian gossip magazine King Phillipe with family dining at the same restaurant and the next tables with Delphine Boel

Queen Mathilde: Private: A Dinner Surprise
Old 03-19-2018, 06:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Mathilde gave an interview to MO Magazine, a Belgian left-wing magazine that reports on global developments. It's about her work as an SDG advocate, but at the same time she reveals things about her own youth, her background, her children etc.

Mathilde really is a woman of substance, and this is quite an intersting read IMO: Queen Mathilde: "2030 is tomorrow. Change has to happen today"

You can see all of her SDG activities at this link - at least the ones that have made it to the media: Queen Mathilde: SDG
Old 03-28-2018, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Queen Mathilde and Princess Elisabeth attended the performance "Mitten wir im Leben sind/Bach6Cellosuiten" by Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker and Jean-Guihen Queyras/Rosas at the 30CC/Schouwburg theatre in Leuven this evening, March 28:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** fb gallery **
Old 03-29-2018, 08:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Mathilde & Elisabeth at a modern dance performance yesterday: https://queenmathilde.blogspot.be/20...ersmaeker.html
Old 03-30-2018, 03:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

The King Philippe accepted the invitation from the scouts to visit them the April 21! After all they made a long way to invite him!!

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/979757744067661825
Old 03-30-2018, 03:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I believe they sent their children to a Flemish school precisely because they speak French at home - which is the best in terms of language development as French is both Philippe's as well as Mathilde's mother tongue. In this way the children will both learn French perfectly (from their parents) and Dutch (from their teachers whose mother tongue is Dutch). It is quite normal that the children will speak Dutch among themselves as bilingual children typically prefer speaking the language of their peers (classmates/friends) over the language of their parents.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Nice to see Elisabeth at the dance with her mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I believe they sent their children to a Flemish school precisely because they speak French at home - which is the best in terms of language development as French is both Philippe's as well as Mathilde's mother tongue. In this way the children will both learn French perfectly (from their parents) and Dutch (from their teachers whose mother tongue is Dutch). It is quite normal that the children will speak Dutch among themselves as bilingual children typically prefer speaking the language of their peers (classmates/friends) over the language of their parents.
Thank you, I had guessed that was the case too. I read that Flemish was always viewed as the more working-class language in Belgium whereas French is traditionally the language of the upper classes and aristocracy, so it's good that Philippe and Mathilde have tried to turn these assumptions around.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and the children take part in St James' Way, a traditional pilgrimage, in Navarrete, Rioja, northern Spain, on 4 April as part of their family vacation.

Belga Image
Old 04-04-2018, 11:53 AM
Majesty

How nice that the family takes part in this journey
Old 04-04-2018, 11:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Nice to see Elisabeth at the dance with her mother.

Thank you, I had guessed that was the case too. I read that Flemish was always viewed as the more working-class language in Belgium whereas French is traditionally the language of the upper classes and aristocracy, so it's good that Philippe and Mathilde have tried to turn these assumptions around.
The royal family knows that 2/3rd of the Belgians speak Dutch and that 3/4th of the money is earned in the Dutch speaking region and in the bilingual Brussels region. They know they can not go on with not mastering Dutch like a native.

Tags
crown princess elisabeth, duchess of brabant, king philippe, prince emmanuel, prince gabriel, princess eleonore, princess elisabeth, queen mathilde