King Philippe, Q. Mathilde and Family, General News, Part 1 (July 2013 - Sept. 2017)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Reminds me of English ones that always pop up on facebook. Always 'learn the secret they have kept from......' hinting at divorce or such to get people to click then its ad claiming celeb used weight loss. Everyone from Kate (who made QEII angry by revealing how she lost baby weight :whistling:) to Dr Phil's wife and many in between.

The Kings with their children holidays in Italy!!! They have been in the Natural Park of the Maritime Alps and the Gesso Valley in the Piedmont region (where is Turin)

Look Elizabeth!!!

Yes, she is getting really tall, which is not surprising given her family genes.

Indeed wow! Even though the floor is sloping which makes it easier for her to be taller than usual, she really grew up a lot since Belgium National Day. It's wonderfull to see the younger royals become teens, I think it's the transition that we see more diferences growing up.

I didn't even recognize her at first!

Thanks for the photos!
The family seems to enjoy a mountain holiday. Queen Mathilde looked relaxed and comfortable.

Elisabeth must be like 5'9 by now :eek: teenage-hood has hit her really big this year :D

Emmanuel as always super curious and asking lots of questions :)

The children of King Philippe are the first ones ever in the Belgian royal family to be completely at ease in Dutch. The future Queen (Princess Elisabeth) even needed remedial teaching on French language! That is smart policy: approximately 60% of the Belgians speak Dutch, 38% speaks French and 2% speaks German or another language.

You can see from the body language that the royals are completely natural in conversating with the people on this Open Bedrijvendag in the Dutchspeaking part of Belgium.

From what I understood, all children of the royal couple go to Dutch speaking schools. At home French is the conversation language. In this way the royal couple hope to raise their children perfectly bilingual.

Last edited:

Elisabeth looks so grown up ! I predict she will be a very attractive young woman.

Princes Philippe and Laurent went to a Dutch Boarding School near Bruges.

Emmanuel as always super curious and asking lots of questions :)

He seems very interested about planes/helicopters and flight in general. I hope he will join the army and become a pilot just like his father when the time will come. It would be a smart move to balance the role within the royal family and the fact that he won't receive an allowance from it. He will be serving his country after all.

Princes Philippe and Laurent went to a Dutch Boarding School near Bruges.

Yes, but the basic language is formed in the childhood years. Until his 15th year the King went to the French-speaking Collège Saint-Michel in Brussels, followed by a short period in a Dutch-speaking boarding school. After this he went to the (then predominantly French-speaking) Ecole Royale Militaire in Brussels.

King Philippe and Prince Laurent speak better Dutch than any of the Belgian royals before them, but you can hear it is not their native tongue. No problem. The children of the King will probably speak accentless Dutch.

Yes, but the basic language is formed in the childhood years. Until his 15th year the King went to the French-speaking Collège Saint-Michel in Brussels, followed by a short period in a Dutch-speaking boarding school. After this he went to the (then predominantly French-speaking) Ecole Royale Militaire in Brussels.

King Philippe and Prince Laurent speak better Dutch than any of the Belgian royals before them, but you can hear it is not their native tongue. No problem. The children of the King will probably speak accentless Dutch.

What I hear from the Belgians is that Philippe's Dutch was rather poor when he was younger, but it has improved significantly especially since he became king.

Elisabeth must be like 5'9 by now :eek: teenage-hood has hit her really big this year :D

Yes it has. She will be a tall woman one day.

On a side note, I can't help but notice that she's dressed just like my 16 year old daughter from head to toe. Love that her parents have given her the opportunity to dress like any other teenage girl for these casual events. :)

King Philippe has purchased a Mercedes S600 Guard à € 400.000,-- There are a lot of (negative) reactions on that (see article), but that is unfair. The King is not extraordinary in this purchase. In neighbouring Netherlands both King Willem-Alexander and Princess Beatrix have an Audi A8 W12 for € 600.000,-- each. (The bigger prize tag is because these two Audi's are extended in length).

The new Mercedes of King Philippe: picture

The Audi of King Willem-Alexander: picture

Last edited:
King Philippe has purchased a Mercedes S600 Guard à € 400.000,-- There are a lot of (negative) reactions on that (see article), but that is unfair. The King is not extraordinary in this purchase. In neighbouring Netherlands both King Willem-Alexander and Princess Beatrix have an Audi A8 W12 for € 600.000,-- each. (The bigger prize tag is because these two Audi's are extended in length).

The new Mercedes of King Philippe: picture

The Audi of King Willem-Alexander: picture

Is that a private purchase or royal transport paid for by the King's public grant ?

Is that a private purchase or royal transport paid for by the King's public grant ?

I understood the King purchased it, indirectly paid by the Belgian taxpayer (paid from the civil list). Also here the Royal Houses have differences. The northern neighbours (Netherlands) "lease" 35 Audi's from the State Central Procurement Service (which purchases 250 limousines, 55.000 police cars, etc. and obtain firm rebates).

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know if the King (or the Royal Court) actually paid full price for the car. Mercedes is a 'Purveyor to the Court' so clearly have a long standing business relationship with the Royal Court and if the car is going to be used for official events it will be seen by a great many people.

Regardless, if the King needs a new car then this is the price. Obviously the car needs to be secure, armoured etc so that costs more. Its not as if he is buying a whole fleet or a new car every month. Personally I don't see the fuss.

The King and the Queen decided to pay two State Visits a Year one out of Europe and one in Europe.
In 2017 are planned India and Denmark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom