The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-26-2014, 09:27 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
This could also have been avoided if the laws would have been ready before Christmas. The he could have signed them before leaving.
We have a lot of problems here with our government They took a long time to discuss over the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mara* View Post
Btw the persons in charge need to take their dictionary and look up the true meaning of discretion. How can they claim they discreetly asked the king to return when its all over the papers. But then again everything has to be turned into a polemic these days, mission completed I guess.
Sadly, you are right But making the King look bad is a national sport here.

Queen Mathilde
Old 12-26-2014, 11:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Next year i hope He will spend his Christmas in Europe like his predecessors to avoid what has happen now.

I don't agree that our National sport is making the King look bad.
It is his first faux pas since more than 500 days.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
HM was not asked to shorten his holidays He decided himself.
Next year i hope He will spend his Christmas in Europe like his predecessors to avoid what has happen now.

What was his faux pas exactly? I can't find anything.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Courtier

Taking your family on a Christmas holiday is a faux pax?
Old 12-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

"Faux pas " means a mistake that should have been avoided. (going to Bali or India for 10 days)
The Army did not want to send a second flight so far away with only documents to sign as they did for Kings Baudouin or Albert Ii who stayed in Europe for their Christmas holidays.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:28 AM
Aristocracy

Again, there never were plans to send documents by plane. Albert caused costs of 60.000 € per year for these flights who transported only documents. Philippe never intended to do that. So far he signed all laws in Brussels or Ciergnon, also during holidays in August for ex.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
"Faux pas " means a mistake that should have been avoided. (going to Bali or India for 10 days)
The Army did not want to send a second flight so far away with only documents to sign as they did for Kings Baudouin or Albert Ii who stayed in Europe for their Christmas holidays.

Why is it considered to be his faux pas? Why not the parliament's??!! I think the king has the right to travel to any country he and his family like, it's a holiday, specially that he couldn't go on a real holiday in summer.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Why can't he spend his Christmas vacation abroad? I don't get it... it's not like any other royals don't go on vacation abroad?

Quote:
Not ours, the newspapers, the politics. The minister who started the polemic admitted he agreed with the King leaving. (because the King also has no choice...) And I don't think this counts as a faux-pas

Queen Mathilde
Old 12-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Nobility

The palace just said that the king already planned to leave earlier, because he knew that there would be documents to sign.
Earlier this month, some politicians talked about making it possible for the king and ministers to sign documents with an electronic signature (with the ID-card). They are showing this case as an exemple where the e-signature would have been possible.

Queen Mathilde
Old 12-26-2014, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparent

The Palace tries to save the Situation .
The whole Government was still working on new laws and the King and his Staff knew about the Documents to sign before the end of the year!

Thanks for your post Blue, foreigners don't know our political situation. ea the Parlament's fault...
I think at Belvedere Castle and at Villa Clémentine they must laugh !
Old 12-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The Palace tries to save the Situation .
The whole Government was still working on new laws and the King and his Staff knew about the Documents to sign before the end of the year!

Thanks for your post Blue, foreigners don't know our political situation. ea the Parlament's fault...
I think at Belvedere Castle and at Villa Clémentine they must laugh !
The palace is giving their input, and rightly so. If they put up with all the things coming from the N-VA especially they soon will have zero room to manoeuvre. Point in case the misleading statements of the minister of defence Vandeput.
And Belvedere Castle is of course empty, Albert and Paola are in Italy again. But you are sadly right, it would be totally their style to laugh.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_ View Post
Why can't he spend his Christmas vacation abroad? I don't get it... it's not like any other royals don't go on vacation abroad?

Not ours, the newspapers, the politics. The minister who started the polemic admitted he agreed with the King leaving. (because the King also has no choice...) And I don't think this counts as a faux-pas
Exactly, some people are under the impression that he has to stay cooped within 1 hour of Belgium for the situation to work
Old 12-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Why Bali and then India ???
Old 12-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Aristocracy

They never were in Bali. The spokesperson of the defense union got that wrong and the media picked it up without checking the facts.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Serene Highness

I don't understand why this reflects badly on the King, is he suppose to spend the rest of his life in Belgium, never leaving in case some sudden legislation comes up and needs him to sign it? If so that would make him the only monarch in the world to do so. All of his counterparts in Europe at least are able to leave the country for at least a few days if they need to.
To me its Parliament / the government who have made an error, if anyone has, by not knowing this might happen. I assume the Belgian Parliament doesn't shut down for weeks over Christmas like ours here in the UK does?
Old 12-26-2014, 09:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
To me its Parliament / the government who have made an error, if anyone has, by not knowing this might happen. I assume the Belgian Parliament doesn't shut down for weeks over Christmas like ours here in the UK does?
The government made a mistake by raising a polemic (the costs of the vacation) only they can change (by allowing the King to fly with commercial airlines). The minister of defensy has admitted now it was his fault, but it's too late now for apologies, the polemic's already here...
The Parliament does shut down normally, but we are dealing with really important financial matters here, and that's why it was so difficult to come to an agreement... (Belgium has not the easiest political system in the world, at least we have a government now, touching wood for it to stay a little longer )

Queen Mathilde
Old 12-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
New family photoshoot:

La Monarchie belge: Accueil - Actualités - Photos - Photos de famille - Leurs Majestés le Roi et la Reine et Leurs enfants (décembre 2014)

They look as if they were taken straight away from a model catalog, what a good looking family!
Lovely pictures. Lovely family
I also very much like the family picture posted on Twitter.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:04 PM
Serene Highness

I agree. But much too small...
Old 01-29-2015, 07:57 AM
Gentry

I know it is probably not the correct poll to ask but do Belgian Royal Ladies (especially Queen Mathilde) have ladies-in-waiting? If so do we know their personalities?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:38 PM
Aristocracy

Update on the flight cost topic:
Philippe was given a flight budget of 240.000€ for 2014. Basis for this calculation were the flight expenses Albert caused during the last years of his reign. In 2014 Philippe used the plane 28 times, this comes down to expenses of 218.000€. The criticised trip to India had a price tag of 40.500€, which is of course much less than the 200.000€ mentioned by the press.
In 2015 the flight budget will be reduced by 20%, so Philippe is (or seems to be) entitled to spend 192.000€ on flights.
Note: The press or the minister of defence labelled all 28 flights booked by Philippe as private flights, but the list obviously includes many official trips such as the introduction visits, and other work-related visits to Poland, Germany, the UK. Not sure why these got the label private at all, but it sure serves a purpose.
And given the current security situation there seem to be no plans to change the no-commercial flights rule for the king.

Tags
king philippe, queen mathilde