The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-21-2014, 01:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post
Many thanks! Very helpful!
You're welcome, I really liked this one, shows a lot of things we usually don't see from Kings.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:34 AM
Serene Highness

We now know history ancient or modern is not the Duchess of Brabant's forte Seriously, this was neat. I'd like to see one for the Fred, WA and so on.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
We now know history ancient or modern is not the Duchess of Brabant's forte Seriously, this was neat. I'd like to see one for the Fred, WA and so on.
One of the funniest parts was the CD/LP thing at Queen Elisabeth's study, that's where you see the difference in generations, Elisabeth Jr doesn't know these things because they were before her time, probably hadn't seen one of those before.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyp View Post
The only information I have about this family is from this board (we have absolutely no news about royals in America except for the Brits and the odd tidbit from Monaco) but from what I have seen from them I am quite impressed. They look like truly loving parents and from all accounts their children look well loved and adjusted.
I think it varies from country to country. The Spanish royal family gets a lot of coverage in Latin America for obvious historical reasons. On the other hand, I don't exactly know why, but Germans seem to be very interested in Dutch and Swedish royalty. I agree though that the Windsors are the only royal family most Americans know.

The Belgian royal house in particular has a lower profile than its other European counterparts, which, I believe, has a lot to do with Belgian history. In the Middle Ages, Belgium, together with the Netherlands, was a patchwork of fiefdoms. most of which eventually came into possession of the French Burgundian dynasty and later, in the 15th century, passed by marriage to the Austrian Habsburgs and, in the 16th century, to the Spanish branch of the Habsburg family. The Netherlands became independent following the Protestant reformation whereas Belgium remained under Spanish rule. In the 18th century, when the Habsburg dynasty was extinguished in Spain, Belgium returned to Austria until the French invaded and occupied it after the French Revolution. Following Napoleon's defeat, the Great Powers of Europe decided to merge Belgium with the Netherlands in a united kingdom. With French support, however, the Belgians revolted in 1830 and became an independent kingdom under Leopold I, who was the founder of the current Belgian royal house.

The Belgian royal house therefore is relatively new by European standards (less than 200 years old) and, given its origins in the context of a national liberal revolution, was already born as a constitutional "popular monarchy", as evidentiated by the fact that the monarch uses the title "King of the Belgians", as opposed to "King of Belgium". It doesn't have therefore that aura of historical tradition and close association with the church that surrounds other royal houses.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:18 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The military labotr union is upset with the king. On saturday the king, queen and their children went left for Indonesia for a 10-day holiday. They are upset that the staff of the airplaine needs to stay in Indonesia in the christmas period too.
Privéreis Filip en Mathilde maakt legervakbond boos - HLN.be

It is forbidden for a Belgian king to use regular flights, he needs to travel by military plane.

And on another note: 2014 has been the busiest year for a Belgian monarch ever. He had 310 official duties. the previous record was by King Albert II in 2010: 250 official activities.

Koning Filip verbreekt record van drukste agenda - HLN.be
Old 12-22-2014, 06:34 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

So they're in Indonesia for Christmas? Is that usual for them?
Old 12-22-2014, 06:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
The military labotr union is upset with the king. On saturday the king, queen and their children went left for Indonesia for a 10-day holiday. They are upset that the staff of the airplaine needs to stay in Indonesia in the christmas period too.
Privéreis Filip en Mathilde maakt legervakbond boos - HLN.be

It is forbidden for a Belgian king to use regular flights, he needs to travel by military plane.

And on another note: 2014 has been the busiest year for a Belgian monarch ever. He had 310 official duties. the previous record was by King Albert II in 2010: 250 official activities.

Koning Filip verbreekt record van drukste agenda - HLN.be
It's honestly silly, if he can't go in regular flights so why shouldn't he use military planes? do they expect him to stay cooped in Belgium 24/7? I'm sure that if he's asked to reimburse the money via his dotation, he wouldn't mind.

And for staying in Indonesia, their bodyguards would also have to stay there, people know what they are signing for when they start doing certain jobs, if they were in the military they could have been spending time in let's say Afghanistan or a war zone. Indonesia ain't the end of the world tbh

I think it's a matter of finding a flaw on his reign, since he's been a pretty good king so far and there's always a political agenda against the monarchy in Belgium.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:13 PM
Nobility

I also find it very silly, the military staff are expected to perform their duties in the most difficult situations, and if they can't cope with not celebrating Christmas for one year while they are on duty, then what can be expected of them?
Old 12-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The Flemish parties now think that Philippe should pay for the travel costs of private holidays himself.

Filip moet privéreizen zelf betalen - HLN.be

An odd logic as it is forbidden for him to take commercial flights, so perhaps they should change that law first.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
The Flemish parties now think that Philippe should pay for the travel costs of private holidays himself.

An odd logic as it is forbidden for him to take commercial flights, so perhaps they should change that law first.

What a nice thank you note from the Flemish parties to King Philippe for his work as the busiest Belgian monarch ever.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:

So he'd have to pay the military staff that goes with him? how? paying the Ministry of Defense?

Makes absolutely no sense
Old 12-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

I can think of worse places to be for ten days over Christmas - especially if I was being paid for it!
Old 12-22-2014, 01:43 PM
Majesty

It is an impossible situation for King Philippe and his family. Perhaps, the family should be allowed to hire a charter plane and be accompanied by extra protection officers.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:55 PM
Serene Highness

If they want him to pay than they will have to allow him to travel on regular aircraft or charge them regular prices.
My sister came back from Afghanistan in November (the first Christmas she hasn't spent out there in 4 years) and the first thing she did is book a holiday to the Maldives for Christmas so yes....I'm sure there are plenty of service men and women who wouldn't mind a few days in Indonesia.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
If they want him to pay than they will have to allow him to travel on regular aircraft or charge them regular prices.
This! If the government thinks the head-of.-state cant travel on commercial planes than they have to deal with the consequences or change the law. Why should Philippe pay more than the first-class ticket for a security measure that he is obliged to fulfil.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Elisabeth our Heir travelled in normal aircraft with a bodyguard.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent

The King's Christmas is already registrated before He left.
If something happens in belgium before 24/12 it would be oblsolete.

"Du jamais vu" and the King's first "faux pas"
Old 12-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'm sure thay if something important happens, the King would return as quick as soon and - in case - would deliver a different and more updated message.
On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that all Christmas messages are and have been recorded days earlier. I don't see this as a real faux pas.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Princess Elisabeth our Heir travelled in normal aircraft with a bodyguard.
So Elizabeth didnt travel with the family?
I understand the heir and monarch cant travel together...
I think Mathilde should have traveled with her daughter
Old 12-22-2014, 04:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I was impressed to see how the King and Queen were holding hands and comforting each other during Queen Fabiola's funeral. I don't know if they are in love or if their marriage was "arranged", but they seem to be very close and , I must agree, are absolutely devoted to their children.
To my knowledge, there is no reliable information which would indicate that their marriage was arranged. (That was suggested in a book published 2 or 3 years ago by a journalist, who was aiming at harming the reputation of Prince Philippe at that time, but is no way way reliable information!!!) It was said they met at a tennis event organized by the RF for a group of noble young people.(??) Prince Philippe said "Mathilde has not been introduced to me".

On the contrary it was revealed years after that the archbishop in function, presumably in 1959, that he had been involved in arranging a marriage for King Baudouin, and the future queen Fabiola. That appears from archives of the bishop published after his death.

What came recently as a surprise to me was the very very close relationship between Baudouin and Fabiola with Prince Philippe, and also later with Mathilde. Philippe had been staying with them for long periods at the time of the long crisis between Albert and Paola. It is probably not exagerated to say that he was closer to Fabiola than to his mother. It goes well beyond "preparing" Philippe to his role of king.

Tags
king philippe, queen mathilde