The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

From the documentaries of the first 500 days of Philippe's reign

- VRT: (Dutch), 29 min.) Eén - Koppen - Ik, Filip | Eén
- RTL (French, 20 minutes) Les 500 jours du Roi Philippe du 3 décembre 2014, info : RTBF Vidéo
- RTBF (French, 3.30 min. introduction) Les 500 jours du Roi Philippe du 3 décembre 2014, info : RTBF Vidéo

Short clips:
playing football: http://vtm.be/royalty/filip-voetbalt...et-de-kinderen
preparing for 20k: http://vtm.be/royalty/filip-traint-v...m-door-brussel
cycling thorugh Brussels: http://vtm.be/royalty/de-koninklijke...ets-in-brussel
various with children: http://www.rtl.be/rtltvi/categorie/p...oyale/813.aspx
preparations for a state dinner: http://www.rtl.be/rtltvi/video/51769...CategoryID=813

The King's Dutch is more fluent, it seems to be greatly improved. The queen speaks Dutch well too, but with a stronger accent. Pss. Elisabeth speaks it as if it is her 1st language.
The Queen follows music history classes to improve her knowledge, as she is the patron of the Queen Elisabeth Music Competition.
If looking at the children didn't make you melt yet: in the end of the documentary of the VRT, Philippe puts a flower in Mathilde's hair...

Conclusion of the VRT reporter: expectations were low but the first 500 days went well. The government formation went well. The king could be more relaxed, he finds his image very important. Maybe a bit too much thought goes into certain matters.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Today 15 years of marriage, full of success and beautiful children

Old 12-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post

- RTL (French, 20 minutes) Les 500 jours du Roi Philippe du 3 décembre 2014, info : RTBF Vidéo
- RTBF (French, 3.30 min. introduction) Les 500 jours du Roi Philippe du 3 décembre 2014, info : RTBF Vidéo

Short clips:
playing football: Filip voetbalt in de tuin met de kinderen | VTM
preparing for 20k: Filip traint voor de 20 km door Brussel | VTM
cycling thorugh Brussels: De koninklijke familie op de fiets in Brussel | VTM
various with children: Place Royale -Toutes les vidéos - RTL TVI
preparations for a state dinner: 500 jours de règne : Dans les coulisses d'un dîner d'Etat au château de Laeken - Vidéo - RTL TVI

The King's Dutch is more fluent, it seems to be greatly improved. The queen speaks Dutch well too, but with a stronger accent. Pss. Elisabeth speaks it as if it is her 1st language.
The Queen follows music history classes to improve her knowledge, as she is the patron of the Queen Elisabeth Music Competition.
If looking at the children didn't make you melt yet: in the end of the documentary of the VRT, Philippe puts a flower in Mathilde's hair...

Conclusion of the VRT reporter: expectations were low but the first 500 days went well. The government formation went well. The king could be more relaxed, he finds his image very important. Maybe a bit too much thought goes into certain matters.
Thank you for your thoughts on the video Marengo. I know that there had been concerns about the Dutch fluency of Their Majesties. I'm glad that Elisabeth and hopefully her siblings are comfortable moving between Dutch/French and German.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Courtier

Excellent move by the palace IMO, this shows the more human side of Philippe and the work he's done, will definitely help the image of the monarchy in the long run.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

I hope a lot of you were able to see the Film of His 500 days Reign.
It was great and I was impressed because it is the first time we see love between parents and Children happy since the late Queen Astrid (1935).
Old 12-05-2014, 01:52 AM
Courtier

I hope Royalty shows a good version of the special on Sunday :)
Old 12-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

On the VRT video, at 11:35, the family went to what a I believe to be a museum right? But I don't remenber seeing it before, does anyone here has the pictures of that event? Also, when Mathilde and Elisabeth are at a botany center together?
Old 12-16-2014, 10:33 PM
Nobility

The video in French is actually only 3 minute long. Does anybody have another link? Thanks!
Old 12-16-2014, 11:10 PM
Heir Apparent

A truly lovely family, they exude love.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
On the VRT video, at 11:35, the family went to what a I believe to be a museum right? But I don't remenber seeing it before, does anyone here has the pictures of that event? Also, when Mathilde and Elisabeth are at a botany center together?
The botany center is actually the Glass House at Laeken Castle, they were basically at home...
And the visit at the war museum I think was a private initiative, so unless they authorize ppl to take photos, they are not followed by reporters, as it happens with official visits. You see the video now just because it was a long term project with some limited crews from the Belgian press.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
They really do! Well-said!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
When people says they don't show enough love, and that you feel they are together because it was an arranged marriage, I always wonder if they look at the family. Come on, they are absolutely in love and so cute. And Q.Mathilde and K.Philippe looks like they are really devoted parents.

Queen Mathilde
Old 12-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Short clips:
playing football: Filip voetbalt in de tuin met de kinderen | VTM
preparing for 20k: Filip traint voor de 20 km door Brussel | VTM
cycling thorugh Brussels: De koninklijke familie op de fiets in Brussel | VTM
various with children: Place Royale -Toutes les vidéos - RTL TVI
preparations for a state dinner: 500 jours de règne : Dans les coulisses d'un dîner d'Etat au château de Laeken - Vidéo - RTL TVI

Thank you, Marengo ! I am very hopeful about Philippe's reign and I believe he will be remembered in the future as an important figure in Belgian history. I also greatly admire his efforts to improve his Dutch and raise his children bilingually.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_ View Post
When people says they don't show enough love, and that you feel they are together because it was an arranged marriage, I always wonder if they look at the family. Come on, they are absolutely in love and so cute. And Q.Mathilde and K.Philippe looks like they are really devoted parents.
I was impressed to see how the King and Queen were holding hands and comforting each other during Queen Fabiola's funeral. I don't know if they are in love or if their marriage was "arranged", but they seem to be very close and , I must agree, are absolutely devoted to their children.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Courtier

Very nice card!
Happy Christmas to everyone.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Queen Mathilde and her siblings have founded the Groupement Forestier de Losange (GFL).This foundation has a port folio of 3,33 million euros, mainly the castle of Losange and the land around the castle. This foundation has to prevent the property from getting scattered upon the death of one of the siblings: if one sibling dies, the remaining ones will get their share. The queen's share is valued at 675.000,- euros.

It is a common construction for aristocratic Belgian families. Reactions in the press have been surprisingly understanding.

Mathilde stelt familiefortuin veilig in vennootschap - HLN.be

Mathilde brengt gronden onder in vennootschappen - De Standaard

I would assume the estate would be worth more than 3.3 million euros. Am I missing something ?
Old 12-20-2014, 02:50 AM
Courtier

The VRT documentary with English subtitles, "A Year in the Life of King Filip"
Old 12-20-2014, 09:29 PM

The only information I have about this family is from this board (we have absolutely no news about royals in America except for the Brits and the odd tidbit from Monaco) but from what I have seen from them I am quite impressed. They look like truly loving parents and from all accounts their children look well loved and adjusted.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:47 PM
Serene Highness

Right? Catherine is the only princess in the world, apparently busy, busy lady.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
The VRT documentary with English subtitles, "A Year in the Life of King Filip"
Many thanks! Very helpful!

Tags
king philippe, queen mathilde