The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-03-2014, 01:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
It was such a good decision to put the children on Dutch speaking schools, so the RF can finally cease to fight that battle in the next generation.

Isn't (or wasn't) the Marolles a lower working class neighbourhood? A bit like the Jordaan in Amsterdam used to be (which has been taken over by expats and yuppies for decades btw).
I have to agree that it was a very wise decision to have them in a Dutch speaking school from the beginning especially for Elisabeth who is the future Queen of the Belgians.

As for the school surroundings, I can understand the issue of having the streets and sidewalks clean and safe for all who live/work in the area.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Heir Apparent

This area was always like that since the middle age and changed a Lot .
100 years ago families lived in small streets called impasses , one room for a family really poor very poor families. Now they are starting in the Marolles renovations , but this area is always popular because the famous market place du jeu de balle.
Next to this part you have the snobbish Sablon with Antics,jewels ,Pierre Marcolini and other great belgian chocolates .
As Official Guide of the City of Brussels during 15 years I had to show only the nice places of the city!

To me it is not bad that the Princes living in a Castle are seeing that the City has poor people.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:48 AM
Nobility

Belgian little princes and princesses are always so wonderful children!
Little Eléonore now goes elementry school
Old 09-04-2014, 06:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post

[....]

To me it is not bad that the Princes living in a Castle are seeing that the City has poor people.
It is absolutely not bad that royal children see the other side of the medal as well. I am just shocked to see that a municipality, a mayor, aldermen of a city, public services, the SNCB, etc. just have let the whole area (in the middle of Brussels) detoriate into a slum. This situation exists for years. Of course, the core problem is unemployment, poor housing, lack of education, crime, prostitution, etc. All this really does not prevent the city or the SNCB to maintain the public infrastructure to an acceptable standard. That is all. The Belgians seem already so used to all this that they do not even notice anymore. In the meantime these pictures have been seen in Dutch, German, Spanish, British and other foreign media, showing the Belgian royal family in splendid surroundings.

Her Majesty The Queen of the Belgians and Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Brabant:
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Sep2014/PPE14090122.jpg

Old 10-01-2014, 05:33 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The Flemish animal protection organisation 'Gala' wants the king to stop hunting animals at the Ciergnon estate in the Ardennes. Monday the king was seen at a weapon dealer in Brussels. The king has a permit to shoot 90 deer per year to keep the animal population int he Ardennes balanced. There is no limitation for shooting wild boar.

Koning Filip onder vuur om jagen - Royalty Online
Old 10-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Nobility

The king isn't going against the law, he's not a poacher, so I think he has the right to do what he wants in his estate. Also, as for the deer, it is a normal habit to maintain the animal population balanced.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Courtier

Animal protection activists do not understand population control. Our town park is being overrun with geese. Everyone complains but no one will agree to a controlled reduction in population because "it's cruel". It's just as cruel to have an overpopulation which leaves sick and weak animals because of not enough food. No matter what Philippe does someone will complain.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Administrator

I think that the point is that he is shooting them for fun. The statement says:

"Killing defenseless animals. Sire, do you set a good example for your children by doing that?"
Old 10-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I think that the point is that he is shooting them for fun. The statement says:

"Killing defenseless animals. Sire, do you set a good example for your children by doing that?"
Of course I know that...but if Philippe likes hunting and he does it carefully and safely, their protests are really pointless (at least for me...I don't hunt, but I don't mind it neither).
Noble families...especially those from the countryside (as Mathilde's family is)...are known to be hunting families, it's a bit traditional. But if one day they'll develop animal protection beliefs, surely their father's example won't stop them.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

King Philippe visited together with prince Emmanuel on Sunday the Flanders fields museum in Ieper.

Pic
Old 10-08-2014, 06:03 AM
Administrator

King Philippe and Prince Gabriel at the Airforce Days at the airbase Kleine Brogel on September 14:

** ppe gallery ** nieuws.vtm.be: Koning Filip woont Air Force Days bij **
Old 11-26-2014, 07:58 AM
Administrator

The king and queen were followed for a year by camera crews of 4 tv stations. They follow him at private moments but mainly at work. The programme will be broadcasted next week by VTM, VRT, RTBF and RTL.

Koning Filip gunt unieke blik in privéleven met tv-docu - HLN.be
Old 11-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Preview
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 11-27-2014, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

This looks very interesting! Is this a mini series or is it a 1 - 2 hour program?
Old 12-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Royal Highness

Rencontre exceptionnelle avec Philippe et Mathilde sur La Une mercredi 3 décembre à 18H25 - RTBF C est du belge
Old 12-02-2014, 06:02 AM
Courtier

I think this is a very smart move from them, allowing people to see into their lives, as much transparency as possible.

There are already cute stills around about that
Old 12-02-2014, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Confidence in the king has grown further. Before the enthronement 49 % claimed to have confidence in , Philippe year ago that already rose to 60%, but today it rose to 69,1%.

Vertrouwen in koning Filip nog nooit zo groot - HLN.be

The poll is done for the programme VTM Royalty.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Confidence in the king has grown further. Before the enthronement 49 % claimed to have confidence in , Philippe year ago that already rose to 60%, but today it rose to 69,1%.

So happy to hear it, I guess what he needed to show his real character and personality was enough time and space.

here is a video of the news in French

Le roi Philippe plus populaire que jamais Ã* la veille de ses 500 jours de règne - Vidéo - RTL Vidéos
Old 12-02-2014, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

That's good news and hopefully confidence in His Majesty the King will increase further.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Philippe may well be remembered as the monarch who kept Belgium together, at least during his lifetime. As I've said before, I'm very impressed with his performance as King of the Belgians.

Tags
king philippe, queen mathilde