King Philippe, Q. Mathilde and Family, General News, Part 1 (July 2013 - Sept. 2017)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Sorrow has made King Philippe age significantly. The weight of the pain for his country and its people is clear to see.

The pain is showing on Queen Mathilde's face. My sympathies to her and all of Belgium.

They both look so bad, huge eye bags, lost looks :(
And I can't honestly blame them, seeing so much suffering first hand and knowing they or their loved ones are prime targets would do that to anyone.

Its a horrible time for the people of Belgium, and that goes for their king and queen as well. It would be harder then I can imagine going and seeing the locations and the hospital, when you are representing the country and have all eyes on you. It is times of great tragedy to a country when a monarchy is put to a great test, in how they are able to be there as a support to their country. I remember in 2011 when the Norway attacks happened, and watching the NRF deal with the aftermath. It was likely even harder for MM whose step-brother was one of 77 people killed.

My continued prayers for the people of Brussels in this horrible time. :flowers:

My condolences to those who lost loved ones in this attack & prayers to those injured. Royals, as symbols of the nation, can act as reassuring beacons for a people in pain and sorrow, letting everyone know that they can and will get through this.

News of this attack in Belgium gets scarier by the minute. The AP is reporting that ISIS trains 400 to do attacks in Europe:

IS trains 400 fighters to attack Europe in wave of bloodshed

I trust the security teams and the defense ministries are re-thinking daily security measures for all and how to handle high-profile events. Sweden alone has four coming up soon: the king's birthday, his consort's anniversary as queen, and two royal baptisms. No one should change what make their nation unique and cave to monsters, but they need to be always vigilant.

I fear that it isn't the high profile events that will be targeted but rather the day to day activities. Big events will have security and will be watching for attacks. The everyday stuff doesn't have the security and much easier to blend in. Fear is the motive and what better way to destroy freedom and create fear than to make people afraid to enjoy that very freedom.

I fear that it isn't the high profile events that will be targeted but rather the day to day activities. Big events will have security and will be watching for attacks. The everyday stuff doesn't have the security and much easier to blend in. Fear is the motive and what better way to destroy freedom and create fear than to make people afraid to enjoy that very freedom.

I agree completely

Me too. It's heart warming that they're thanking everybody who's been helping, and listening to all the stories. I don't think they slept much last night after everything they saw and heard.

:previous: I am so deeply impressed by King Felippe and Queen Mathilde. Their unwavering dignity in the face of every aspect of the bombings aftermath is awe inspiring. They have wept unashamedly for their country and it's citizens, for the families of the victims and for those who will never be able to forget. Their grief is graven on their faces but they draw comfort from each other.

Unlike every other citizen who needs a respite they cannot turn off the TV and pretend, for a time, all is well. They have been front and centre thanking the emergency workers, standing for their countrymen at Memorials, at bomb sites and visiting hospitals where the full horror of the bombs is illustrated in gruesome detail.

http://resize-parismatch.ladmedia.f...etro-Maelbeek-a-Bruxelles-le-23-mars-2016.jpg

http://resize-parismatch.ladmedia.f...ort-de-Bruxelles-National-le-23-mars-2016.jpg

Thanks for the continuing information An Ard Ri. I am awed that Philippe and Mathilde have just kept on going this week, and ensuring none of the workers involved in the aftermath of the bombing are overlooked. I am sure the call takers were hard pressed to keep up with the phones and stay on task as they, along with thousands of others, worried about their loved ones.

And then an International political visit from Mr Kerry, US Secretary of State. I am impressed that Philippe still managed to dredge up a real smile. It says a lot for the man's backbone. Belgium is really blessed in their royal family I think.

Thanks for the continuing information An Ard Ri. I am awed that Philippe and Mathilde have just kept on going this week, and ensuring none of the workers involved in the aftermath of the bombing are overlooked. I am sure the call takers were hard pressed to keep up with the phones and stay on task as they, along with thousands of others, worried about their loved ones.

And then an International political visit from Mr Kerry, US Secretary of State. I am impressed that Philippe still managed to dredge up a real smile. It says a lot for the man's backbone. Belgium is really blessed in their royal family I think.

King Philippe's agenda in the aftermath of the tragic events in Belgium illustrates the advantages of having a ceremonial Head of State as opposed to an executive president. Since the King does not have responsibility for foreign policy or domestic security, he cannot be blamed for the failures that enabled those terrorist attacks to take place (instead, the prime minister and his cabinet take responsibility). The Head of State is in a unique position then to fulfill the ceremonial role of comforting the victims and serving as a focus of national unity above the controversies of partisan politics which an elected president with executive responsibility would never be able to fulfill. The government (i.e. the politicians) can on the other hand concentrate on fixing the problems in the security and intelligence services and on coordinating with other countries and the European Union to prevent future attacks.

Last edited:

Fully agree.

Philippe and Mathilde spent Easter in Knokke-Heist

https://twitter.com/WDehandschutter/status/714708726301777920

I really like that they are trying to give a semblance of normality, showing up in public and not hiding behind the palace walls, it can also work as a calming balm for people, because if the King and Queen are out and about, they can also do the same.

:previous: You have a right to be proud of your King and Queen. They are doing you proud, both nationally and internationally.

Politicians pontificate and obfuscate, the monarchy just does it. And this couple has gone the extra mile.

:previous: You have a right to be proud of your King and Queen. They are doing you proud, both nationally and internationally.

Politicians pontificate and obfuscate, the monarchy just does it. And this couple has gone the extra mile.

Yet, leading Republican candidate Donald Trump once again offended Belgium yesterday calling Brussels bad names on a CNN Town Hall meeting in Wisconsin.

Yet, leading Republican candidate Donald Trump once again offended Belgium yesterday calling Brussels bad names on a CNN Town Hall meeting in Wisconsin.

He is an embarrassment to most Americans. Please know that most of us don't feel this way.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I agree. Philippe and Mathilde are doing an excellent job. It was so saddening to see the photos of them at their engagements relating to the Brussels attacks, Mathilde looked as if she was particularly effected by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom