King Philippe, Q. Mathilde and Family, General News, Part 1 (July 2013 - Sept. 2017)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A truly lovely family, they exude love.

When people says they don't show enough love, and that you feel they are together because it was an arranged marriage, I always wonder if they look at the family. Come on, they are absolutely in love and so cute. And Q.Mathilde and K.Philippe looks like they are really devoted parents.

From the documentaries of the first 500 days of Philippe's reign

- VRT: (Dutch), 29 min.) Eén - Koppen - Ik, Filip | Eén
- RTL (French, 20 minutes) Les 500 jours du Roi Philippe du 3 décembre 2014, info : RTBF Vidéo
- RTBF (French, 3.30 min. introduction) Les 500 jours du Roi Philippe du 3 décembre 2014, info : RTBF Vidéo

Short clips:
playing football: Filip voetbalt in de tuin met de kinderen | VTM
preparing for 20k: Filip traint voor de 20 km door Brussel | VTM
cycling thorugh Brussels: De koninklijke familie op de fiets in Brussel | VTM
various with children: Place Royale -Toutes les vidéos - RTL TVI
preparations for a state dinner: 500 jours de règne : Dans les coulisses d'un dîner d'Etat au château de Laeken - Vidéo - RTL TVI

The King's Dutch is more fluent, it seems to be greatly improved. The queen speaks Dutch well too, but with a stronger accent. Pss. Elisabeth speaks it as if it is her 1st language.
The Queen follows music history classes to improve her knowledge, as she is the patron of the Queen Elisabeth Music Competition.
If looking at the children didn't make you melt yet: in the end of the documentary of the VRT, Philippe puts a flower in Mathilde's hair...

Conclusion of the VRT reporter: expectations were low but the first 500 days went well. The government formation went well. The king could be more relaxed, he finds his image very important. Maybe a bit too much thought goes into certain matters.

Thank you, Marengo ! I am very hopeful about Philippe's reign and I believe he will be remembered in the future as an important figure in Belgian history. I also greatly admire his efforts to improve his Dutch and raise his children bilingually.

When people says they don't show enough love, and that you feel they are together because it was an arranged marriage, I always wonder if they look at the family. Come on, they are absolutely in love and so cute. And Q.Mathilde and K.Philippe looks like they are really devoted parents.

I was impressed to see how the King and Queen were holding hands and comforting each other during Queen Fabiola's funeral. I don't know if they are in love or if their marriage was "arranged", but they seem to be very close and , I must agree, are absolutely devoted to their children.

Queen Mathilde and her siblings have founded the Groupement Forestier de Losange (GFL).This foundation has a port folio of 3,33 million euros, mainly the castle of Losange and the land around the castle. This foundation has to prevent the property from getting scattered upon the death of one of the siblings: if one sibling dies, the remaining ones will get their share. The queen's share is valued at 675.000,- euros.

It is a common construction for aristocratic Belgian families. Reactions in the press have been surprisingly understanding.

Mathilde stelt familiefortuin veilig in vennootschap - HLN.be

Mathilde brengt gronden onder in vennootschappen - De Standaard

I would assume the estate would be worth more than 3.3 million euros. Am I missing something ?

The only information I have about this family is from this board (we have absolutely no news about royals in America except for the Brits and the odd tidbit from Monaco) but from what I have seen from them I am quite impressed. They look like truly loving parents and from all accounts their children look well loved and adjusted.

Right? Catherine is the only princess in the world, apparently:ROFLMAO: busy, busy lady.

We now know history ancient or modern is not the Duchess of Brabant's forte:whistling: Seriously, this was neat. I'd like to see one for the Fred, WA and so on.

We now know history ancient or modern is not the Duchess of Brabant's forte:whistling: Seriously, this was neat. I'd like to see one for the Fred, WA and so on.

One of the funniest parts was the CD/LP thing at Queen Elisabeth's study, that's where you see the difference in generations, Elisabeth Jr doesn't know these things because they were before her time, probably hadn't seen one of those before.

The only information I have about this family is from this board (we have absolutely no news about royals in America except for the Brits and the odd tidbit from Monaco) but from what I have seen from them I am quite impressed. They look like truly loving parents and from all accounts their children look well loved and adjusted.

I think it varies from country to country. The Spanish royal family gets a lot of coverage in Latin America for obvious historical reasons. On the other hand, I don't exactly know why, but Germans seem to be very interested in Dutch and Swedish royalty. I agree though that the Windsors are the only royal family most Americans know.

The Belgian royal house in particular has a lower profile than its other European counterparts, which, I believe, has a lot to do with Belgian history. In the Middle Ages, Belgium, together with the Netherlands, was a patchwork of fiefdoms. most of which eventually came into possession of the French Burgundian dynasty and later, in the 15th century, passed by marriage to the Austrian Habsburgs and, in the 16th century, to the Spanish branch of the Habsburg family. The Netherlands became independent following the Protestant reformation whereas Belgium remained under Spanish rule. In the 18th century, when the Habsburg dynasty was extinguished in Spain, Belgium returned to Austria until the French invaded and occupied it after the French Revolution. Following Napoleon's defeat, the Great Powers of Europe decided to merge Belgium with the Netherlands in a united kingdom. With French support, however, the Belgians revolted in 1830 and became an independent kingdom under Leopold I, who was the founder of the current Belgian royal house.

The Belgian royal house therefore is relatively new by European standards (less than 200 years old) and, given its origins in the context of a national liberal revolution, was already born as a constitutional "popular monarchy", as evidentiated by the fact that the monarch uses the title "King of the Belgians", as opposed to "King of Belgium". It doesn't have therefore that aura of historical tradition and close association with the church that surrounds other royal houses.

Last edited:
It is an impossible situation for King Philippe and his family. Perhaps, the family should be allowed to hire a charter plane and be accompanied by extra protection officers.

Last edited:
If they want him to pay than they will have to allow him to travel on regular aircraft or charge them regular prices.
My sister came back from Afghanistan in November (the first Christmas she hasn't spent out there in 4 years) and the first thing she did is book a holiday to the Maldives for Christmas so yes....I'm sure there are plenty of service men and women who wouldn't mind a few days in Indonesia.

If they want him to pay than they will have to allow him to travel on regular aircraft or charge them regular prices.
This! If the government thinks the head-of.-state cant travel on commercial planes than they have to deal with the consequences or change the law. Why should Philippe pay more than the first-class ticket for a security measure that he is obliged to fulfil.

Princess Elisabeth our Heir travelled in normal aircraft with a bodyguard.

The King's Christmas is already registrated before He left.
If something happens in belgium before 24/12 it would be oblsolete.

"Du jamais vu" and the King's first "faux pas"

:previous:
I'm sure thay if something important happens, the King would return as quick as soon and - in case - would deliver a different and more updated message.
On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that all Christmas messages are and have been recorded days earlier. I don't see this as a real faux pas.

Princess Elisabeth our Heir travelled in normal aircraft with a bodyguard.

So Elizabeth didnt travel with the family?
I understand the heir and monarch cant travel together...
I think Mathilde should have traveled with her daughter

I was impressed to see how the King and Queen were holding hands and comforting each other during Queen Fabiola's funeral. I don't know if they are in love or if their marriage was "arranged", but they seem to be very close and , I must agree, are absolutely devoted to their children.

To my knowledge, there is no reliable information which would indicate that their marriage was arranged. (That was suggested in a book published 2 or 3 years ago by a journalist, who was aiming at harming the reputation of Prince Philippe at that time, but is no way way reliable information!!!) It was said they met at a tennis event organized by the RF for a group of noble young people.(??) Prince Philippe said "Mathilde has not been introduced to me".

On the contrary it was revealed years after that the archbishop in function, presumably in 1959, that he had been involved in arranging a marriage for King Baudouin, and the future queen Fabiola. That appears from archives of the bishop published after his death.

What came recently as a surprise to me was the very very close relationship between Baudouin and Fabiola with Prince Philippe, and also later with Mathilde. Philippe had been staying with them for long periods at the time of the long crisis between Albert and Paola. It is probably not exagerated to say that he was closer to Fabiola than to his mother. It goes well beyond "preparing" Philippe to his role of king.

As if Presidents of Republics wouldn't cost money to taxpayers...! I feel sorry for many Royal Families: they are navigating is such difficult situations (relatively speaking of course!).

I feel sorry for Elisabeth having to travel for such a long distance by herself, but I am sure she has a great relationship with her bodyguard! And maybe there were other staff members with her.

As far as the union complaining, well, I am sure that those who spend Christmas in Indonesia will be well compensated and their vacation time rescheduled. It is obvious that the plane and its crew should remain ready at all times close by to fly the family back in case of necessity. I bet some members of the crew asked to go! Ten days in Indonesia just waiting? I think there are much worse options as it has been wisely said.

About the documentary, I feel ambivalent. I loved seeing the family outside public appearances; on the other hand, they looked uncomfortable and somewhat unnatural in most segments. To me that is proof of how private, shy and sensitive they are but I am sure others will criticize them as phony or weak.

With regard to Queen Mathilde's lack of knowledge of history, I was certainly surprised to see that she doesn't know how to read Roman numerals! Really?
Regardless, I loved watching the documentary: they are a beautiful, sensitive family! And certainly in love. Who can even suggest an arranged marriage?? Believe me, I doubt you would have four children if your marriage were arranged!

Last edited:
feel sorry for Elisabeth having to travel for such a long distance by herself, but I am sure she has a great relationship with her bodyguard! And maybe there were other staff members with her.

At her age, she is almost certainly loving it without little brothers and sister pestering or teasing or just in her business and Mom and dad looking over her shoulder. Feeling like a 'grown' person instead of a little kid is so important at 13.

I wonder if president Obama pays from his pocket when he flies to Hawaii on Air Force One for his family vacation. Or if he pays for his security detail while on vacation.

Of course he doesn't! And as MarNoe was saying, the expenses for his vacations have been highly criticized, but we're getting OT :whistling:...

I LOVE the picture the RF posted. Beautiful as always, and can I just add that Princess Elisabeth looks very sweet and I'm so glad she's not acting/dressing/posing as someone older than her age. She's a young 13 y.o. and I love that she doesn't feel pressured to act differently (believe it or not in other forums she's criticized for dressing like a child... and not grown-up enough! :eek:). Her mom is a great role model. :flowers:

Thanks so much for posting these beautiful pictures.

I wonder if the Belgian Royal palace knows anything about HD camera?!!!!

MTE, sometimes the pics in the official Twitter are frustrating :bang: :lol: like 260px or something.

These should have been released in HQ but I guess one could find them in that quality in a photoagency somewhere :whistling:

MTE, sometimes the pics in the official Twitter are frustrating :bang: :lol: like 260px or something.

These should have been released in HQ but I guess one could find them in that quality in a photoagency somewhere :whistling:

Yeah, it's very bad, such beautiful pictures and no decent quality

Gabriel is becoming more handsome day by day, too bad our ages don't match, too bad

Yeah, it's very bad, such beautiful pictures and no decent quality

Gabriel is becoming more handsome day by day, too bad our ages don't match, too bad

In my opinion, the four of them as a group are the most beautiful royal children of this generation, a perfect combination of their parents' looks (and is not a wonder, considering how good looking the King and Queen are).

Eleonore might end up being more "stereotypically" beautiful than her sister but I find Elisabeth quite interesting to say so, like an old painting, her features have a lot of character, does that even make sense? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom