Inquiry on the former partners of Philippe

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha-louise

Aristocracy
City
Waterloo
Country
Belgium
Now a new book about the prince has been published, we know for certain that Barbara Maselis was the first love of Philippe.
Philippe was in his early twenties then, he was 35/36 when he met Mathilde. It seems quit impossible that in all those years there was nobody else.
There was a gossip about a girl 'de Lalaing'.
Does anyone know something about this?

So were these "Intimate" Relationships? Im afraid to ask but did he, and am very sorry if im being to forward , "Have a Serious Relationship"

Well, I don´t know it very well anymore, but a year or so before the engagement to Mathilde, weren´t there rumours in the press about a countess de lalaing? I believe the lady encouraged the rumours too. There were more stories in those years, also about him and a woman from the Netherlands. But I have forgotten names etc. and it seems to be difficult to trace them back now. Maybe somebody else knows....

I remember to read, some years ago, that Prince Philippe was dating a rich Brazilian girl called Adriana. It was said she was very catholic and Queen Fabiola approved the relationship. That was the only girlfriend of Philippe I read about. I think he wasn't the kind of young man who has a lot of girlfriends. He is religious and probably he wanted to wait for the right woman to have a serious relationship.

So was he "Pure" when he Married then, Weird qurstion I Know but dont kick me off the board or anything im just wondering

So was he "Pure" when he Married then, Weird qurstion I Know but dont kick me off the board or anything im just wondering

I don't think anyone here can tell about how pure Prince Philippe was when he got married :) But what everyone knows is that Prince Philippe is a very devout Catholic and I think he didnt date anyone just for fun. He seems a very responsible man even in his relationships.

I remember to read, some years ago, that Prince Philippe was dating a rich Brazilian girl called Adriana. It was said she was very catholic and Queen Fabiola approved the relationship. That was the only girlfriend of Philippe I read about. I think he wasn't the kind of young man who has a lot of girlfriends. He is religious and probably he wanted to wait for the right woman to have a serious relationship.

As far as I remember the girl was Adriana Torres de Silva and she was from Seville, Spain. Queen Fabiola was more than pleased with this, as the girl was catholic and Spanish, just like Fabiola was/is. The author of the text I read even stated, that Fabiola was the one who introduced Philip and Adriana, hoping in a mariage, but the couple did not cope with her wishes. I don't remember where I read this, but it was just after Baudouin died and Albert and Paola became King and Queen of the Belgians.:)

As far as I remember the girl was Adriana Torres de Silva and she was from Seville, Spain. Queen Fabiola was more than pleased with this, as the girl was catholic and Spanish, just like Fabiola was/is. The author of the text I read even stated, that Fabiola was the one who introduced Philip and Adriana, hoping in a mariage, but the couple did not cope with her wishes. I don't remember where I read this, but it was just after Baudouin died and Albert and Paola became King and Queen of the Belgians.:)

Thanks Olka :flowers: That's her name! I thought she was brazilian because the magazine said so and I memorized because "Silva" is a common surname in Brazil (and Portugal). But you'e very right, she is from Seville. This article (from El Mundo) says Philippe dated the spanish Adriana and Infanta Elena of Spain (I didnt know about this last one).

Actually he dated Infanta Cristina not Elena. Stephanie de Lalalin or what her last name is, was a girl from upper class in Belgium, she is half Swedish. I can´t get a picture of her because I don´t have a scanner.

Marie

In Belgium there is now a book with the title "Prince Philippe". The books says that Mathilde was not Philippe's first love.

When Philippe went to the abbeyschool of Zevenkerken, he became in love withe Barbara Maselis. The daughter of a manufacturar of cattlefood. It was love at first sight between the prince and Barbare. Barbara was 2 years younger, but according to the book more mature and wordly. When philippe left the school the relation beceme more serieus. Barbara was a beautiful girl, spoke 4 languages. They were a couple for 3 years. Filip regulary visited her in Roeselare or Leuven, where she shared a appartment with her sister. Barbara visited Philippe a couple of times in Belvédère, but the reception was not very warm. To comon, and that was something where the royal family was not ready for those days.

Ultimately it was his father who obliged Philippe to end his relation "Jou are a prince, you have an official future. I can see that Barabara is important for you, but you will have to try to make an end at the relation."
Later, Philippe would loose Barbara to one of his best friends. But in his head he keeps her faithful. Until he meets Mathilde.

Movie with pictures of Barbara
ZIJONLINE VIDEO=

I feel sorry for Crownprince Philippe that he couldn´t get her. But the Crownprincess is a beautiful and graceful person as far I have seen and they do look very much in-love. I couldn´t see the video. Mayby wrong country

Marie

Well, I don´t know it very well anymore, but a year or so before the engagement to Mathilde, weren´t there rumours in the press about a countess de lalaing? I believe the lady encouraged the rumours too. There were more stories in those years, also about him and a woman from the Netherlands. But I have forgotten names etc. and it seems to be difficult to trace them back now. Maybe somebody else knows....

In the german magazines there where some rumours about Countess Anna Plater-Syberg in the 90's and also about another woman Sigrid van Erps who was from Switzerland if i remember correct.

I had never heard of Adriana Torres de Silva

I do remember Sigrid van Erps, that was in 1997 or somenthing. She was a Flemish woman, freelance journalist. She herself told the press she had a relationship, but court never reacted. It was very strange, 'cause we know now that the prince had a relationship with mathilde at the time.

The infantes are a rumour, they were single, same generation, wishfull thinking of some romantic journalists.

Wasn't there also a gossip about a Italian aristocrat Lady??? I think her name was Famietta or something that way....

Well, I haven´t heard aboutn those ladies, but I still have a magazine from the early 90-ties where the gossip was that he was reserved for Princess Margarita of Bourbon-Parma, so he got a lucky escape there... ;) A totally bogus story btw. He seems to be friends to Duchess Helene in Bavaria, were there ever any rumours about the two of them being a couple?

I think the name of the de Lalaing countess was Stephanie btw. I am not too sure if it was her but I remember that either she or another lady were not very discrete too the press and later it was discovered that the girl didn´t have a relationship with Phillipe at all and never had one. This story was in the late 90-ties I believe, 1997 or 1998 even. But Phillipe has always been very discrete, the engagement to Mathilde came as a total surprise (though it leaked out a day or two in advance).

Last edited:
I still have a magazine from the early 90-ties where the gossip was that he was reserved for Princess Margarita of Bourbon-Parma, so he got a lucky escape there... ;) A totally bogus story btw.

:D I couldn't stop to laugh with this comment :lol:

I am glad Phillipe escape from her!

I've heard rumors about Infanta Cristina and Philippe as well, they were seen together skiing in Baqueira Beret and in some acts around, I think they were friendly but don't know how close they were;)

EL MUNDO
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o39/dagmarnat/CRISTINA 3/phillipeandcristina.jpg
(Hola, look at her outfit, that screams 80's all the way :D)

It was said that Philippe pursued Cristina in their youth but that she said no (I read it somewhere, don't remember exactly where:ermm:)

Please, post more pictures of Infanta Cristina and Prince Philippe together!!

I also heard he dated Stephanie de Lalaing. Maybe it's just gossip I don't know..

Or maybe her family wanted it. Yes her name was Stephanie she was half Swedish. I know it was just a rumour about infanta Cristina.

Well, I was able to find some information on Phillipe´s lovelife or supposed lovelife... and I might say from an unexpected source: by a book from that horrible Jan van den Berghe that I bought in 1998 (when I didn´t know any better ;)).

He writes down some ladies that the press say he is dating, but they note that these were just rumours: Princess Elena of Spain, Archduchess Constanza, Archduchess Isabella (Lorenz´s sister), Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones, Lady Helen Windsor, Princess Bianca of Savoia-Aosta, Princess Maria of Roumania, Princess Marie-Louise of Baden, Duchess Elisabeth in Bavaria, Princess Alexia of Greece, Princess Alexandra of Hannover and Duchess Eleonora Fleur of Wuerttemberg. Just gossips of course.

More serious rumours about this Stephanie de Lalaing, I was wrong about her btw as she denied these rumours in the press immidiately.

There werehowever two more serious candidates, the Italian Fiametta Frescobaldi, daughter of Marques Vittoria Frescobaldi and Marchioness Bona, the rumours started in the Italian press in 1984. Fiametta denied it, she did say that their two mothers were childhood friends.

The next candidate was Dona Adriana Torres de Silva of Spanish nobility. The Prince was photographed with her in Sevilla and Adriana went several times to Belgium where she stayed with the Counts de Brouchove de Bergeyck (now that is a last name that sounds familiar at these forums ;)). But the Brouchove family denied these rumours and said that Adriana was friends with their daughter Eleonore. It would have been too good to be true anyway as Adriana is also related to Queen Fabiola.

---

I was mixing Stephanie de Lalaing with another woman. Apparently it was Sigrid van Erp who ´promoted´ herself as the girlfriend of Filips. Sigrid was editor in chief of the magazine ´Made in Brussels´, her claim was completely ludecrace though.

Looking at the list of supposed love interests of Crown Prince Phillipe, it seems that he was very particular about choosing a spouse from an appropriate social class.

Last edited:
Looking at the list of supposed love interests of Crown Prince Phillipe, it seems that he was very particular about choosing a spouse from an appropriate social class.

I agree. I think there is/was subtle pressure on all of them(Astrid, Philippe and Laurent) to marry "well". I read that the late King Baudouin was thrilled with Astrid and Archduke Lorenz and gave the greenlight to the union. Paola and Albert felt that their only daughter was too young to marry when she first met Lorenz but Baudouin had a real horror of what was happening in other Royal European dynasties, with the Princesses marrying below their rank, and he wanted to strike while the iron was hot, I guess.

I am betting the same thing will happen with the younger generation when they start to become of an age to marry. The BRF is probably the last Royal House in Europe that still marries almost exclusively within the aristocracy.

It is not bad to strictly adhere to some traditions. Let us hope that there will be eligible spouses for the younger generation.

Last edited:
I agree. I think there is/was subtle pressure on all of them(Astrid, Philippe and Laurent) to marry "well". I read that the late King Baudouin was thrilled with Astrid and Archduke Lorenz and gave the greenlight to the union. Paola and Albert felt that their only daughter was too young to marry when she first met Lorenz but Baudouin had a real horror of what was happening in other Royal European dynasties, with the Princesses marrying below their rank, and he wanted to strike while the iron was hot, I guess.
I know this is going a bit off topic...Didn't know where to post this...sorry :flowers:...
-Does anyone how Astrid felt, was Lorenz the only boyfriend she had? Like I mean she seems to really love the job of being a mother, wife of a banker, and regular princess duties. Not trying to stir up anything.
-What was the belgian attitude towards their engagement announcement?
-Makes you view King Albert and Queen Poala in a new light...really modern...cared for the well being and happiness of their kids first over the familiy's 'social status'.
-Wonder why they [Albert and Poala] gave in? Did Baudouin threaten Albert, that he would be taken out of the line of succession?

Last edited:
Well, I was able to find some information on Phillipe´s lovelife or supposed lovelife... and I might say from an unexpected source: by a book from that horrible Jan van den Berghe that I bought in 1998 (when I didn´t know any better ;)).

He writes down some ladies that the press say he is dating, but they note that these were just rumours: Princess Elena of Spain, Archduchess Constanza, Archduchess Isabella (Lorenz´s sister), Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones, Lady Helen Windsor, Princess Bianca of Savoia-Aosta, Princess Maria of Roumania, Princess Marie-Louise of Baden, Duchess Elisabeth in Bavaria, Princess Alexia of Greece, Princess Alexandra of Hannover and Duchess Eleonora Fleur of Wuerttemberg. Just gossips of course.

More serious rumours about this Stephanie de Lalaing, I was wrong about her btw as she denied these rumours in the press immidiately.

There werehowever two more serious candidates, the Italian Fiametta Frescobaldi, daughter of Marques Vittoria Frescobaldi and Marchioness Bona, the rumours started in the Italian press in 1984. Fiametta denied it, she did say that their two mothers were childhood friends.

The next candidate was Dona Adriana Torres de Silva of Spanish nobility. The Prince was photographed with her in Sevilla and Adriana went several times to Belgium where she stayed with the Counts de Brouchove de Bergeyck (now that is a last name that sounds familiar at these forums ;)). But the Brouchove family denied these rumours and said that Adriana was friends with their daughter Eleonore. It would have been too good to be true anyway as Adriana is also related to Queen Fabiola.

---

I was mixing Stephanie de Lalaing with another woman. Apparently it was Sigrid van Erp who ´promoted´ herself as the girlfriend of Filips. Sigrid was editor in chief of the magazine ´Made in Brussels´, her claim was completely ludecrace though.
I agree that most of these rumored girlfriends were just a shortlist of the most elegible (sp?) women-peers of the time.

There's definitely a weird dichotomy here in terms of years and no known love..kindof like Friso of the Netherlands.

I suspect that in the case of Felipe there's some intriguing love story there we'll never know about but that was in the category of romeo and juliet..something akin of perhaps him being madly in love with either a woman of a different religion, different generation, a married lady, or simply somone from 'le peuple' and thus unsuitable..

As lovely as Mathilde is, she may well not be the love of his life..or maybe he's just the shy type who simply never had the guts to follow his heart of hearts....then again, who cares, as Mathilde's clearly one of the best things that's happened to him. wouldn't be surprised if he'd got onto the throne solely because of her, as the Belgians aren't seemingly too enamored with him. But she's definitely an asset as far as I can tell these things.

True! That's why I like this royal family so much :flowers:

Same here. Like I read somewhere else, I don't necessarily want my mailman's daughter as my Crown Princess.

Marriage to commoners is fine every once in awhile, but I am always going to prefer the REAL THING.

Back
Top Bottom