Inquiry on the former partners of Philippe

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know this is going a bit off topic...Didn't know where to post this...sorry :flowers:...
-Does anyone how Astrid felt, was Lorenz the only boyfriend she had? Like I mean she seems to really love the job of being a mother, wife of a banker, and regular princess duties. Not trying to stir up anything.
-What was the belgian attitude towards their engagement announcement?
-Makes you view King Albert and Queen Poala in a new light...really modern...cared for the well being and happiness of their kids first over the familiy's 'social status'.
-Wonder why they [Albert and Poala] gave in? Did Baudouin threaten Albert, that he would be taken out of the line of succession?

According to the article I read(a Belgian periodical that was written in French) the Princess had led a very sheltered life within the BRF when she met the Archduke at her 18th birthday ball which was held at Laeken Palace. I don't know if he was her first serious boyfriend but I am willing to bet he probably was. Albert and Paola didn't have anything against Lorenz but they insisted that the couple delay the engagement for a few years, and rightfully so. For Astrid it was love at first sight, and she was determined to marry Lorenz.
Once Baudouin gave his approval it was only a matter of time anyway. Baudouin and Fabiola adored Astrid and were undoubtedly delighted with her choice.

No I don't think Baudouin "threatened" Albert at all. From what I have read about their relationship, Baudouin loved his younger brother deeply and always excused or ignored his scandals, and Albert loved and admired Baudouin and was unswervingly loyal to him. It was probably simply a matter of Baudouin persuading Albert and Paola to let Astrid and Lorenz marry.

For a long time, before Philippe married, it seemed like Astrid and her children would inherit the Belgian throne.

The Belgian royal family was probably one of the strictest on the marrying fellow royals/high nobility. By 20th century, even the 19th century, arranged marriages among royals were very rare. Granted Royal-commoner marriages were rare too, but the Belgians seemed to practice arranged marriage well into the 20th century e.g. Marie-Jose and the future Umberto II of Italy, and Josephine-Charlotte and the future Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg (they say she was in love w/ a tennis player at the time of her marriage).

For a long time, before Philippe married, it seemed like Astrid and her children would inherit the Belgian throne.

The Belgian royal family was probably one of the strictest on the marrying fellow royals/high nobility. By 20th century, even the 19th century, arranged marriages among royals were very rare. Granted Royal-commoner marriages were rare too, but the Belgians seemed to practice arranged marriage well into the 20th century e.g. Marie-Jose and the future Umberto II of Italy, and Josephine-Charlotte and the future Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg (they say she was in love w/ a tennis player at the time of her marriage).

Exactly. I think if Philippe and Mathilde had been married at the time of King Baudouin's death, there would not have been as much opposition to the idea of his assuming the Throne.

Prince Albert and King Baudouin just happened to fall in love with and marry noblewomen
but I can't imagine either of them marrying a commoner, especially not Baudouin.

As luck would have it Philippe, like so many members of the Belgian RF, has been extraordinarily fortunate in marriage. He and Mathilde seem perfect for one another, I can't imagine that he has any reqrets about any past loves.

I've heard rumors about Infanta Cristina and Philippe as well, they were seen together skiing in Baqueira Beret and in some acts around, I think they were friendly but don't know how close they were;)

EL MUNDO
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o39/dagmarnat/CRISTINA 3/phillipeandcristina.jpg
(Hola, look at her outfit, that screams 80's all the way :D)

It was said that Philippe pursued Cristina in their youth but that she said no (I read it somewhere, don't remember exactly where:ermm:)

I had no idea that they were (allegedly) a couple.The picture does not work for me by the way. :ermm:

Anyway,Philippe does not look like the type of person who has had a lot of girlfriends.He has always seemed like a mature man.

:previous:

Image links from photobucket disappear after a few years and the post was already made in 2007,
so there's no chance to fix the link.

In the 1980s and early 1990s the German press created a lot of stories about a love story between
Prince Philippe and Princess Cristina, but there has never been a single proof for it. Love stories
between two blue-blooded persons were supposed to increase the circulation ;)

I finally found a picture of Philippe and Cristina together:

Pic

I have got to say,Philippe looks very handsome here!

Now a new book about the prince has been published, we know for certain that Barbara Maselis was the first love of Philippe.
Philippe was in his early twenties then, he was 35/36 when he met Mathilde. It seems quit impossible that in all those years there was nobody else.
There was a gossip about a girl 'de Lalaing'.
Does anyone know something about this?

Correction: he was 39 when he met Mathilde and she was 26

Over the years as Phillipe remained single, the press would say that he was "shy with women." I must say I was very surprised when his engagement was announced. I always assumed back then that Phillipe would never marry and Astrid's son Amedeo would follow him to the throne. Such perfect lineage!

correction of correction

Correction: he was 39 when he met Mathilde and she was 26

The prince is born in 1960, Mathilde in 1973, they married in 1999, so 39 and 26 was their age when marrying.
They have met each other before 1997, when Mathilde's sister died in a car accident, because Philippe attended the funeral as acquaintance of Mathilde.

They must have fallen in love in 1996, when Philippe was 36 and Mathilde 23.

In the german magazines there where some rumours about Countess Anna Plater-Syberg in the 90's and also about another woman Sigrid van Erps who was from Switzerland if i remember correct.

Anna Plater-Syberg later went into a convent btw.

Fiametta de Frescobaldi later married the second son of the duke of Arenberg and a princess of Bavaria and thus is a regular guest at Belgian noble and royal gatherings.

Still, the only 'serious' relationship he had before Mathilde is said to be with Barbara Marselis indeed, which was broken of by his father and court as she was not noble. Barbara ended up marrying the son of an artist friend of Queen Paola.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/947/Royalt.../17/Filip-moest-jeugdliefje-echt-dumpen.dhtml

According to one of the many stories about the meeting of Philippe & Mathilde, it was actually Stephanie de Lalaing (who denies that they ever had a relationship) who pointed out Mathilde to him, and said 'look, there is a nice devout girl for you'.

Last edited:
I suspect that in the case of Felipe there's some intriguing love story there we'll never know about but that was in the category of romeo and juliet..something akin of perhaps him being madly in love with either a woman of a different religion, different generation, a married lady, or simply somone from 'le peuple' and thus unsuitable..
I was searching google for photos of Philippe and Mathilde and I found this:

Le roi Philippe était amoureux d’Ofra Haza quatre ans avant de se marier avec Mathilde d’Udekem d’Acoz: «Il l’a harcelée!» - sudinfo.be

She is better of being married with an unknown nobleman than with Philippe, King of a very troubled and problematic state, with strong separatistic tendences and federal parts more and more drifting apart. Some label Belgium as a failed state even, where nothing works. It is not thát pleasant to be Queen of the Belgians.

She is better of being married with an unknown nobleman than with Philippe, King of a very troubled and problematic state, with strong separatistic tendences and federal parts more and more drifting apart. Some label Belgium as a failed state even, where nothing works. It is not thát pleasant to be Queen of the Belgians.

Belgium is not a failed state and was actually the 17th wealthiest country in the world in terms of GDP per capita in 2014 according to the World Bank. In the past, Belgium was one of the pioneers of the Industrial Revolution in continental Europe and the seat of an important colonial empire in central Africa. Furthermore, despite minority separatist movements, there is no indication that the Belgian federation will break up anytime soon.

I suspect that, like a few other Dutchmen, you are not over the Belgian revolution of 1830 yet.

Last edited:
I am sure most have gotten over the treachery of the 'ungrateful Belgians' by now :hiding:.

However, the discussion of Belgium as a failed state is not a Dutch or a French one. It is a discussion currently held in Belgian newspapers. It is mainly led by CEO's of big companies who seem frustrated that nothing ever gets done due to all the layers of bureaucracy. The infrastruture is crumbling, the police actions sometimes remind us of Louis de Funès' movies etc. But as you say: all is relative, it is one of the richest countries in the world.

Still, the only 'serious' relationship he had before Mathilde is said to be with Barbara Marselis indeed, which was broken of by his father and court as she was not noble. Barbara ended up marrying the son of an artist friend of Queen Paola.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/947/Royalt.../17/Filip-moest-jeugdliefje-echt-dumpen.dhtml

Beautiful woman Barbara Marselis was indeed in that linked article. :flowers: One could understand him carrying a torch. One cannot fail but see a resemblance with Mathilde, especially when young.

According to one of the many stories about the meeting of Philippe & Mathilde, it was actually Stephanie de Lalaing (who denies that they ever had a relationship) who pointed out Mathilde to him, and said 'Look, there is a nice devout girl for you'.

So intriguing! :flowers: Anyone have any more stories how their relationship progressed?

The prince is born in 1960, Mathilde in 1973, they married in 1999, so 39 and 26 was their age when marrying.
They have met each other before 1997, when Mathilde's sister died in a car accident, because Philippe attended the funeral as acquaintance of Mathilde.

They must have fallen in love in 1996, when Philippe was 36 and Mathilde 23.

I know she was a teacher. :flowers: She was young, the age difference akin to that between a British prince at 32 marrying a bride aged 20. Mathilde and Philippe edge them out by one year with a 33 year age difference. What a difference education and culture make in perceptions! :flowers:

And different personalities and expectations of each other. Plus undoubtedly having a lot in common. And both being in love with each other.

Why coming back with this and for all the former Prince's girlfriends .
The Royal Forums are not a people forum .

Back
Top Bottom