The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > King Philippe & Queen Mathilde and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Aristocracy

Indeed, the press comments were more nuanced than usual. I got a rather good feeling about it. No-one could criticize he was side-stepping the questions, 'cause a while ago everyone was critical about his airing of his opinion. (about Vlaams Belang)
I haven't read any really bad critics. There is a general sense to give him the advantage of doubt. Except of course of NV-A Bart De Wever who will always find something bad to say.
I think there has been a mental chance in the heads of people. For the first time people are talking about KING Philip. It's something new and more people seem to accept it after the broadcast. (Because before the documentary only 25% thought Philip is ready to succeed) I think that has changed a little bit.
Final opinion:it was a good initiative.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:09 PM

Basically the interview was an excellent excersise in saying nothing with a lot of words (no offense to Philippe fans, but it really was). But the scenes with his children were very touching... Anyone notice they didn't film any of the bodyguards? He seemed so very approachable...
His Dutch was very good, but I guess he did have a chance to practise in front of the mirror or something, the journalist admitted they had to hand in the questions beforehand.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha-louise View Post
Indeed, the press comments were more nuanced than usual. I got a rather good feeling about it. No-one could criticize he was side-stepping the questions, 'cause a while ago everyone was critical about his airing of his opinion. (about Vlaams Belang)
I haven't read any really bad critics. There is a general sense to give him the advantage of doubt. Except of course of NV-A Bart De Wever who will always find something bad to say.
I think there has been a mental chance in the heads of people. For the first time people are talking about KING Philip. It's something new and more people seem to accept it after the broadcast. (Because before the documentary only 25% thought Philip is ready to succeed) I think that has changed a little bit.
Final opinion:it was a good initiative.

Do you think that this is because King Albert is advancing in years and has had some health issues recently? Maybe they don't want a repeat of what happened with Baudouin, who sadly was only 62 when he died. Paris Match once hinted that Baudouin might have saved his own life if he had abdicated when he started having heart problems.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:50 AM

Belgian Kings have never abdicated, they all died while being king. The only King who did abdicate was Leopold III, Baudouin's father, and that was because the country was in a rage over him marrying Liliane during the war (or something like that)(I believe over half the Belgians wanted him to go, or they would abolish the monarchy). An abdicating king might bring about nasty memories in Belgium.
Besides, some people believe Baudouin wanted Philippe to come after him, and not his brother Albert. Philippe has been trained as a Crown Prince ever since he was born, even though his father still came before him.So that may have something to do with why Baudouin didn't abdicate.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:24 AM

Sorry, my memory seems to be a little muddled. The country was also in a rage because Leopold III was accused of being a collaborator, and his marriage to Liliane only showed that he didn't suffer from the war like his people did (or that is how they felt anyway). Not half the Belgians wanted Leopold III to go. He won a referendum with a very small majority, most of which was found in Flanders. The Walloons were not very happy to see a collaborator on the throne, and there was almost a civil war. To avoid this, Leopold abdicated.
So you can imagine that abdicating brings about a nasty taste in Belgium... Especially for Baudouin.

Tags
crown prince phillipe, duke of brabant, interviews, phillipe, public image, television programme