How does Prince Filip Prepare himself for the Throne? -VRT Broadcast 'Koppen'

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably due to the interview newspaper ' Het Nieuwsblad' has a rather positive article about the prince. Basically saying that most negative comments that haunt the prince are coming from the early 90-ties. Some VLD politicians give positive comments about the prince, as do some businessmen. They emphasize that the recent trip to Egypt was a success and that the businessmen would be willing to pay a comission much higher than the dotation if needed (which it isn' t but it shows how important the prince's presence at these missions is).

You are right johann, and added to that: most Coburgs ' blossom' late in life. And as het Nieuwsblad said, people always said of Boudewijn that he wasn' t able to do it too...

Read the article here.

Last edited:
Newspaper ' Het Nieuwsblad' has an article about the interview and some clips, look here.

I was able to see the programme yesterday and I must say his Dutch is rather good. He speaks a bit slow but that is his normal way of speaking, as he thins before he speaks, also in French. He has a slight french accent at times, but he must be the meber of the Belgian RF that speaks Dutch best.

The interview reminded me of the one of the Prince of Orange last year. It seems the VRT saw that interview last year and thought ' why don' t we do the same'. The result was nice, an interview with the prince, the prince filmed at work and some private moments. They usually showed a clip of the prince at work, the prince watched it at well and after that he would be commenting on things.

A lot of attention to multi-langual projects in Belgium, I believe they showed 3 different French-Dutch projects the prince visited.

The prince was quite diplomatic in most replies (as he should be). The presenter asked which of his predecessors was his biggest insperation, now everybody would expect that that would be Boudewijn but the prince awnsered that he learned from all his predecessors and that they each contributed something to the country.

About limiting political power for the monarchy (or not) the prince stayed rather evasive, saying that that was for others to decide but that the RF would keep contributing for Belgium in any way they can.

The private moments were a bit forced but nice to see. princess Elisabeth seems to be a daddy's girl :). It was nice to see haw she ran and jumped in her fathers arms when the Prince came back from Egypt. The prince commented that he was abroad around 40 days a year, which is difficult as he is away from the children. He said that the education and raising of his children was focussed on making them people who can stand on their own feet. The prince also cycled with his children and played soccer with them. The images of this were quite recent as little Eleonore was there too. The children spoke French and Dutch, as did their parents to them. When the prince was on his economic mission to the US and Canada he had a webcam so he could see his children (and they could see them).

Het Nieuwsblad also summarises the interview in this article in Dutch. Here an article by newspaper ' De Standaard' . Here an article van Het Gazet van Antwerpen which says (among other things) that the prince evaded the question if Belgium whould still exist in 20 years, by replying that Belgium has a lot of strong points, which have to be exploited. For those who read French: an article from Le Soir.

---

My own impression: the prince is a bit slow in speaking, walking etc. his awnsers are diplomatic and evasive, predictable, etc. Never a smile, a laugh, usually a monotomous voice... so this interview won' t do wonders for his image. He seemed more relaxed abroad.

Last edited:
And fom deredactie.be - English:

Thu 05/06/08 18:43 (UPDATE video) - According to a survey commissioned by the daily 'Het Nieuwsblad', almost half of all Flemings believe that Crown Prince Filip is not yet ready to succeed his father as King of the Belgians. Of the 1,001 Flemings questioned over 46% said that Prince Filip is not yet ready to become king.

Nevertheless, 43% of those questioned believe that King Albert of the Belgians (photo, below) should abdicate on his 75th birthday next year.

24% of respondents believe that the King should stay on.

Only a quarter of Flemings believe that Prince Filip would be a suitable replacement if his father were to step down.

Read the entire article here.

---

And from Expatica:

A recent survey shows that almost half of the Flemish population feels the crown princes is not ready succeed the throne yet.
5 June 2008

BELGIUM - A survey commissioned by Het Nieuwsblad shows that about half of the Flemish population feels Crown Prince Filip is ready to succeed his father, King Albert, as King of the Belgium.

The survey was participated by 1,001 Flemings.

Over 46% said that Prince Filip is not yet to become king.
Nevertheless, 43 percent of those questioned believe that King Albert should abdicate on his 75th birthday in 2009.

Read the entire article here.

My impression is that he never really answered the questions. Even where he could have answered. He was never enthusiast in the interview, always that little moment of silence before he responded...
The images weren't that exclusive as they have announced, we've seen them some years ago.
The camera montage was very good, also the music. The images they showed were amusing to see. I've never seen him smiling that much.

The images were (very) good, but as I expected the interview was to stiff.

Well, these images are usually stiff, the prince is an introvert and somehow the camera makes any royal more introverted anyway. The same happens to the prince of Orange in his interviews and I am sure more royals have a simular automatism. He seemed more relaxed when the camera was a bit in the background, like during his economical mission or in Egypt.
What images did you see some time ago btw? I thought everything was pretty recent?

It would have been nice if they interviewed Princess Mathilde too btw, since it is usually said that she is the popular one of the two they might have done a duo-interview which might have loosened the prince up a bit. As it was she stood as a statue of the virgin Mary with her child, barely speaking or moving. Considering the stiffness is one of the most important ' problems' with the image of the CP they should ave done something to prevent it anyway, though there are limits to what you can change in a person of course.

Last edited:
One can also question what is so wrong about stiffness. If you really think about it, it's not that big deal. It's just the way he IS, he will never change. Maybe we should just accept it. It's just that we would like him to be more like Albert. The contrast is just to big. Albert is seen like the best king ever and Philip will never be like him. It's like a frustration of many people. They only thing he can do is trying to slightly morph into a kind of Albert.

Jez, I don't want to depress anybody, but did you read the reactions on the newsite of Het Nieuwsblad?
They're so negative. It's just like the little boy in the classroom who is bullied by all his classmates. Everyone is just shouting at him...
I think it is just so unfair and wrong. 'Cause we, as close royaltywachters WE KNOW he is an gentle, smart and charming man.
Someone needs to open the eyes of the bullies ... (if you've seen the film BenX you'll certainly know what I mean)

The bullies picture is so upsetting but I think you define it well. I always feel Prince Philippe is an easy target to be "bullied" by some people/press, since he is too shy and a bit insecure. I read somewhere that he is more confident after his marriage but by looking at pictures, I can sense he is not a very confident person. I think he is probably the most shy crown prince of Europe, but he is also a very sensitive and genuine person. Personally, I like him very much.

One can also question what is so wrong about stiffness. If you really think about it, it's not that big deal. It's just the way he IS, he will never change. Maybe we should just accept it. It's just that we would like him to be more like Albert. The contrast is just to big. Albert is seen like the best king ever and Philip will never be like him. It's like a frustration of many people. They only thing he can do is trying to slightly morph into a kind of Albert.

The World like people joking and laughing 24 hours a day. For some press, only jolly good fellows are acceptable persons. I don't understand why some don't accept Philippe as he is!
You're right martha-louise, he is not a child anymore, he won't change his personality. He can change his opinions or tastes, but not the way he is. I am a talkative person and I feel great when I meet out-going people, but my closest friends are shy and I just adore their cativating souls. Shy people are always so charming and misterious. Why do people want to force him to be an extrovert and popular guy if he is doesn't feel like it?

If King Albert is a good kind, then great. Philippe will be a great king too, IMO. If only the negative press could accept to give him some Peace, maybe he wouldn't so concerned about the critics he will get no matter what.

IMO, the best way Philippe can prepare himself for the Throne is to get some help from doctors, priests, psicologists, etc, to make him feel more comfortable and less vulnerable to other's opinions. :flowers:

Sounds like poor Philippe cannot win, no matter what he does. He seems like a shy, serious and kind man. I get the feeling that he would love an opportunity to do his duty and do it well.

I like him a lot, it's a shame that he doesn't seem to be appreciated in his own country.

I think he should leave the priests as far away as possible, Regina. He already has the reputation of an overly devout man. I remember that the Flemish television was joking when Mathilde and Filip announced her first pregnancy that it was something like the immaculate conception.

I agree martha-louise, there is just so much you can do and the prince is as he is, an introvert. Nothing wrong with that, many people are... Still, considering this is exactly what is bothering so many people in Flanders especially he might want to try to relax a bit more, as I said, when he was abroad he somehow seemed much more relaxed, but the camera just makes him freeze (very unfortunate, considering his line of business).

To California Dreaming: I don't think that the interview was received that badly in Flanders, of course the papers are critical, as they should be, but the comments in newspapers that I read seem less vitriolic then usual.

Indeed, the press comments were more nuanced than usual. I got a rather good feeling about it. No-one could criticize he was side-stepping the questions, 'cause a while ago everyone was critical about his airing of his opinion. (about Vlaams Belang)
I haven't read any really bad critics. There is a general sense to give him the advantage of doubt. Except of course of NV-A Bart De Wever who will always find something bad to say.
I think there has been a mental chance in the heads of people. For the first time people are talking about KING Philip. It's something new and more people seem to accept it after the broadcast. (Because before the documentary only 25% thought Philip is ready to succeed) I think that has changed a little bit.
Final opinion:it was a good initiative.

Basically the interview was an excellent excersise in saying nothing with a lot of words (no offense to Philippe fans, but it really was). But the scenes with his children were very touching... Anyone notice they didn't film any of the bodyguards? He seemed so very approachable...
His Dutch was very good, but I guess he did have a chance to practise in front of the mirror or something, the journalist admitted they had to hand in the questions beforehand.

Indeed, the press comments were more nuanced than usual. I got a rather good feeling about it. No-one could criticize he was side-stepping the questions, 'cause a while ago everyone was critical about his airing of his opinion. (about Vlaams Belang)
I haven't read any really bad critics. There is a general sense to give him the advantage of doubt. Except of course of NV-A Bart De Wever who will always find something bad to say.
I think there has been a mental chance in the heads of people. For the first time people are talking about KING Philip. It's something new and more people seem to accept it after the broadcast. (Because before the documentary only 25% thought Philip is ready to succeed) I think that has changed a little bit.
Final opinion:it was a good initiative.

Do you think that this is because King Albert is advancing in years and has had some health issues recently? Maybe they don't want a repeat of what happened with Baudouin, who sadly was only 62 when he died. Paris Match once hinted that Baudouin might have saved his own life if he had abdicated when he started having heart problems.

Belgian Kings have never abdicated, they all died while being king. The only King who did abdicate was Leopold III, Baudouin's father, and that was because the country was in a rage over him marrying Liliane during the war (or something like that)(I believe over half the Belgians wanted him to go, or they would abolish the monarchy). An abdicating king might bring about nasty memories in Belgium.
Besides, some people believe Baudouin wanted Philippe to come after him, and not his brother Albert. Philippe has been trained as a Crown Prince ever since he was born, even though his father still came before him.So that may have something to do with why Baudouin didn't abdicate.

Sorry, my memory seems to be a little muddled. The country was also in a rage because Leopold III was accused of being a collaborator, and his marriage to Liliane only showed that he didn't suffer from the war like his people did (or that is how they felt anyway). Not half the Belgians wanted Leopold III to go. He won a referendum with a very small majority, most of which was found in Flanders. The Walloons were not very happy to see a collaborator on the throne, and there was almost a civil war. To avoid this, Leopold abdicated.
So you can imagine that abdicating brings about a nasty taste in Belgium... Especially for Baudouin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom