The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > King Philippe & Queen Mathilde and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha-louise View Post
Jez, I don't want to depress anybody, but did you read the reactions on the newsite of Het Nieuwsblad?
They're so negative. It's just like the little boy in the classroom who is bullied by all his classmates. Everyone is just shouting at him...
I think it is just so unfair and wrong. 'Cause we, as close royaltywachters WE KNOW he is an gentle, smart and charming man.
Someone needs to open the eyes of the bullies ... (if you've seen the film BenX you'll certainly know what I mean)
Ach well, reading the reactions at Het Nieuwsblad, Het Laatste Nieuws, Zita etc. is always depressing – no matter what the subject is. These reactions stand out with being sexist, xenophobic, nationalist and whatnot - these folks will nag themselves to dead IMVHO. And the Belgian newspapers should finally consider moderating their online forums, itīs a shame whatīs happening there to put it mildly and it gives a lousy image of Belgium.
And back to Philippe, if you ask me he is over this kind of criticism, good for him. He did really improve these last month and sure will continue doing so, and this TV special is just the beginning IMO. He will never become the Belgian Richard Gere or something like this, but he is surely able to surprise in a positive manner - and he even scored a honest praise of one of his sharpest critics, Hilde Sabbe of Het Laatste Nieuws last week, so there is hope left.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

I am really looking forward to the broadcast. It is really something unique for the belgian royal family.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I agree that to a certain extend the reactions in newspapers by readers is usually negative and vitriolic. Probably that they can be annonymous only adds to that. It is usually so predictable what people will say whenever a RF features in a magazine (wasters, get a job etc. etc.) , but alos on other subjects. IMO these internet opinion sites bring out the worst in people (or attract the worst people).
Now having that said, still the image of CP Filips is rather negative, part of it due to his clumsiness, his Dutch (which is ok, but obviously not his first languag': 'het is een vrouwtje') and for a large part due to a media campaign of certain parts of the Flemish press against CP Filips.

It would be interesting to compare the reactions in Het Niewsblad, Het Laatste Nieuws etc. with the comments in French-language newspapers like La Derniere Heure.

--

Your reaction (stephanie) make me wonder, did any other member of the Belgian RF did a 'real' television interview thus far?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Aristocracy

Somebody can he(it) say to me if there is a chaine of Channel(Canal) Sat which spreads(diffuses) this program. I thank you
Old 06-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Serene Highness

The website of the program has an archive so probabely you will be able to see it there friday or later

Link to the archive
één - koppen - archief
Old 06-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Nobility

Can anybody translate what Prince Philippe says in the preview of the show? thanks.
I'm really looking forward to the broadcast too, but I have not the tv sat so I won't be able to watch it on tv; I hope that it will be posted on the archive or, why not, on web sites like YouTube. But I perfectly Know that this second chance it will be more difficult because of the copyright.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Your reaction (stephanie) make me wonder, did any other member of the Belgian RF did a 'real' television interview thus far?
The queen did an interview in 'the voice of the queen' documentarie at één. It wasn't a direct interview, but friends were asking the questions instead of the journalist. But that didn't make a big difference.

Philippe and Mathilde did some shorter interviews. When there was a broadcast about their daily life, like 3 or 4 years ago. But that was 'we like to play tennis' or 'we like eating croque-monsieurs' not really much content.
Mathilde did an interview with Phara de Aguire about cancer and losing someone dear.

Now as we hear in the preview THE questions will be asked, that any journalist wants to ask. About succession, about Flemings and Walloons, about monarchie, oy, questions that make the court normaly very nervous.

The prince does the interview I think because people have to get used to the idea that he WILL become king someday. That they can't call him stupid forever, that they'll have to accept him. (or that's what the prince would like to be the result of the documentary)

His answers will be very important. One wrong word and all the effort was for nothing. Journalist will be utmost critical. I know a person who won't sleep very well Thursdaynight ...

Old 06-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Well, did the court have any say in what parts of the interview they wanted to be edited or cut out? I suppose they can also give a hint on what topics not to touch (Delphine for example), though the selected journalists probably have the decency not to ask about it anyway, considering it is private.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Aristocracy

What I have heard about it is that the documentary was very well discussed in advance. That the interviewer (a first class newsancor) has talked with the prince about the concept of it all.

So when the interview was taken, everybody new what to expect. I also think they agreed stopping the camera if the prince stubbled over his words. Like if the journalist stutters they aslo cut it out afterwards. I hope the prince had the right to have some 'bloopers' also...
Old 06-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Courtier

Ach well, I guess we are overestimating this tv docu a wee bit. Itīs just one element of a new media strategy (and thank god Ghislain D'hoop is losing more and more of his unfortunate influence on Philippe). You canīt change Philipeīs or anybody else’s image with one tv docu. Those who have some sympathy or indifference towards him will be confirmed in their view or think more positive about him. And the others, well, they will find something to criticise anyway - or do you think the average Vlaams Belang voter will think of him as Flamingant in the future? Image changes are long-term projects. If Philippe isnīt performing well they will talk/write about it for one or two weeks (depends on the stupidities the politicians will do in the meantime) and add it to their blunder list for the future. Donīt think an overly huge damage will be done, just the usual one everyone is used to already.
I think the true benefit of this TV interview, if it turns out to be okay, is something else: Philippe will realize itīs worth cooperating with the media and doesnīt regard them as enemies any longer (and I have to say some treat him really unfair, but it doesnīt help him, he has to get over it). What do they say? No-one is born a master and practice makes perfect. I donīt expect a brilliant rhetorician, the Coburgīs aren’t into this, no one of them and surely not Philippe, but I expect a rather nice, not overly exciting interview without mayor incidents. This is just a first step and Philippe will improve in the years to come. And his fellow subjects will get used to it.

As for the questions: The interviewer was very well aware of the fact he isnīt allowed asking Philippe overly political questions, due to constitutional reasons (the splitting of Brussel-Halle-Vilvoorde would be one of this no-no topics). And he added Philippe forgot about the cameras after a while and it was a relaxed dialogue, furthermore the complete tv team was cordially received and the atmosphere was characterized by openness.

And btw ppl also love to forget how rocky Albert’s first years as king have been and I recommend watching old tv clips of the young Albert, exactly the same as Philippe (eye rubbing, wooden movements, and lousy rhetorical skills). Albert sure can count his blessing he wasnīt heir to the throne in the multi media age with aggressive tabloids etc. AFAIK he never did a substantial interview and as king he is now in the lucky position to be spared of it.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:58 AM
Administrator

Probably due to the interview newspaper ' Het Nieuwsblad' has a rather positive article about the prince. Basically saying that most negative comments that haunt the prince are coming from the early 90-ties. Some VLD politicians give positive comments about the prince, as do some businessmen. They emphasize that the recent trip to Egypt was a success and that the businessmen would be willing to pay a comission much higher than the dotation if needed (which it isn' t but it shows how important the prince's presence at these missions is).

You are right johann, and added to that: most Coburgs ' blossom' late in life. And as het Nieuwsblad said, people always said of Boudewijn that he wasn' t able to do it too...

Read the article here.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Serene Highness

Normally you will be able to follow the episode on this site:
deredactie.be - "Klaar om koning der Belgen te worden"
Old 06-06-2008, 03:09 AM
Administrator

Newspaper ' Het Nieuwsblad' has an article about the interview and some clips, look here.

I was able to see the programme yesterday and I must say his Dutch is rather good. He speaks a bit slow but that is his normal way of speaking, as he thins before he speaks, also in French. He has a slight french accent at times, but he must be the meber of the Belgian RF that speaks Dutch best.

The interview reminded me of the one of the Prince of Orange last year. It seems the VRT saw that interview last year and thought ' why don' t we do the same'. The result was nice, an interview with the prince, the prince filmed at work and some private moments. They usually showed a clip of the prince at work, the prince watched it at well and after that he would be commenting on things.

A lot of attention to multi-langual projects in Belgium, I believe they showed 3 different French-Dutch projects the prince visited.

The prince was quite diplomatic in most replies (as he should be). The presenter asked which of his predecessors was his biggest insperation, now everybody would expect that that would be Boudewijn but the prince awnsered that he learned from all his predecessors and that they each contributed something to the country.

About limiting political power for the monarchy (or not) the prince stayed rather evasive, saying that that was for others to decide but that the RF would keep contributing for Belgium in any way they can.

The private moments were a bit forced but nice to see. princess Elisabeth seems to be a daddy's girl :). It was nice to see haw she ran and jumped in her fathers arms when the Prince came back from Egypt. The prince commented that he was abroad around 40 days a year, which is difficult as he is away from the children. He said that the education and raising of his children was focussed on making them people who can stand on their own feet. The prince also cycled with his children and played soccer with them. The images of this were quite recent as little Eleonore was there too. The children spoke French and Dutch, as did their parents to them. When the prince was on his economic mission to the US and Canada he had a webcam so he could see his children (and they could see them).

Het Nieuwsblad also summarises the interview in this article in Dutch. Here an article by newspaper ' De Standaard' . Here an article van Het Gazet van Antwerpen which says (among other things) that the prince evaded the question if Belgium whould still exist in 20 years, by replying that Belgium has a lot of strong points, which have to be exploited. For those who read French: an article from Le Soir.

---

My own impression: the prince is a bit slow in speaking, walking etc. his awnsers are diplomatic and evasive, predictable, etc. Never a smile, a laugh, usually a monotomous voice... so this interview won' t do wonders for his image. He seemed more relaxed abroad.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:31 AM
Administrator

And fom deredactie.be - English:

Quote:
Thu 05/06/08 18:43 (UPDATE video) - According to a survey commissioned by the daily 'Het Nieuwsblad', almost half of all Flemings believe that Crown Prince Filip is not yet ready to succeed his father as King of the Belgians. Of the 1,001 Flemings questioned over 46% said that Prince Filip is not yet ready to become king.

Nevertheless, 43% of those questioned believe that King Albert of the Belgians (photo, below) should abdicate on his 75th birthday next year.

24% of respondents believe that the King should stay on.

Only a quarter of Flemings believe that Prince Filip would be a suitable replacement if his father were to step down.
Read the entire article here.

---

And from Expatica:

Quote:
A recent survey shows that almost half of the Flemish population feels the crown princes is not ready succeed the throne yet.
5 June 2008

BELGIUM - A survey commissioned by Het Nieuwsblad shows that about half of the Flemish population feels Crown Prince Filip is ready to succeed his father, King Albert, as King of the Belgium.

The survey was participated by 1,001 Flemings.

Over 46% said that Prince Filip is not yet to become king.
Nevertheless, 43 percent of those questioned believe that King Albert should abdicate on his 75th birthday in 2009.
Read the entire article here.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:15 AM
Aristocracy

My impression is that he never really answered the questions. Even where he could have answered. He was never enthusiast in the interview, always that little moment of silence before he responded...
The images weren't that exclusive as they have announced, we've seen them some years ago.
The camera montage was very good, also the music. The images they showed were amusing to see. I've never seen him smiling that much.

The images were (very) good, but as I expected the interview was to stiff.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:31 AM
Administrator

Well, these images are usually stiff, the prince is an introvert and somehow the camera makes any royal more introverted anyway. The same happens to the prince of Orange in his interviews and I am sure more royals have a simular automatism. He seemed more relaxed when the camera was a bit in the background, like during his economical mission or in Egypt.
What images did you see some time ago btw? I thought everything was pretty recent?

It would have been nice if they interviewed Princess Mathilde too btw, since it is usually said that she is the popular one of the two they might have done a duo-interview which might have loosened the prince up a bit. As it was she stood as a statue of the virgin Mary with her child, barely speaking or moving. Considering the stiffness is one of the most important ' problems' with the image of the CP they should ave done something to prevent it anyway, though there are limits to what you can change in a person of course.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Aristocracy

One can also question what is so wrong about stiffness. If you really think about it, it's not that big deal. It's just the way he IS, he will never change. Maybe we should just accept it. It's just that we would like him to be more like Albert. The contrast is just to big. Albert is seen like the best king ever and Philip will never be like him. It's like a frustration of many people. They only thing he can do is trying to slightly morph into a kind of Albert.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Jez, I don't want to depress anybody, but did you read the reactions on the newsite of Het Nieuwsblad?
They're so negative. It's just like the little boy in the classroom who is bullied by all his classmates. Everyone is just shouting at him...
I think it is just so unfair and wrong. 'Cause we, as close royaltywachters WE KNOW he is an gentle, smart and charming man.
Someone needs to open the eyes of the bullies ... (if you've seen the film BenX you'll certainly know what I mean)
The bullies picture is so upsetting but I think you define it well. I always feel Prince Philippe is an easy target to be "bullied" by some people/press, since he is too shy and a bit insecure. I read somewhere that he is more confident after his marriage but by looking at pictures, I can sense he is not a very confident person. I think he is probably the most shy crown prince of Europe, but he is also a very sensitive and genuine person. Personally, I like him very much.

Quote:
One can also question what is so wrong about stiffness. If you really think about it, it's not that big deal. It's just the way he IS, he will never change. Maybe we should just accept it. It's just that we would like him to be more like Albert. The contrast is just to big. Albert is seen like the best king ever and Philip will never be like him. It's like a frustration of many people. They only thing he can do is trying to slightly morph into a kind of Albert.
The World like people joking and laughing 24 hours a day. For some press, only jolly good fellows are acceptable persons. I don't understand why some don't accept Philippe as he is!
You're right martha-louise, he is not a child anymore, he won't change his personality. He can change his opinions or tastes, but not the way he is. I am a talkative person and I feel great when I meet out-going people, but my closest friends are shy and I just adore their cativating souls. Shy people are always so charming and misterious. Why do people want to force him to be an extrovert and popular guy if he is doesn't feel like it?

If King Albert is a good kind, then great. Philippe will be a great king too, IMO. If only the negative press could accept to give him some Peace, maybe he wouldn't so concerned about the critics he will get no matter what.

IMO, the best way Philippe can prepare himself for the Throne is to get some help from doctors, priests, psicologists, etc, to make him feel more comfortable and less vulnerable to other's opinions.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Sounds like poor Philippe cannot win, no matter what he does. He seems like a shy, serious and kind man. I get the feeling that he would love an opportunity to do his duty and do it well.

I like him a lot, it's a shame that he doesn't seem to be appreciated in his own country.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Administrator

I think he should leave the priests as far away as possible, Regina. He already has the reputation of an overly devout man. I remember that the Flemish television was joking when Mathilde and Filip announced her first pregnancy that it was something like the immaculate conception.

I agree martha-louise, there is just so much you can do and the prince is as he is, an introvert. Nothing wrong with that, many people are... Still, considering this is exactly what is bothering so many people in Flanders especially he might want to try to relax a bit more, as I said, when he was abroad he somehow seemed much more relaxed, but the camera just makes him freeze (very unfortunate, considering his line of business).

To California Dreaming: I don't think that the interview was received that badly in Flanders, of course the papers are critical, as they should be, but the comments in newspapers that I read seem less vitriolic then usual.

Tags
crown prince phillipe, duke of brabant, interviews, phillipe, public image, television programme