Godparents for Princess Eléonore of Belgium

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Godparents for the new Prince or Princess of Belgium

Princess Claire and Prince Joachim.

i think as well that they will stick to a family member or maybe close friend. And the godparent should be catholic. So they won't take a member of another royal family, so not Maxima, Mary ....

Possible are Joachim and a cousin (female) of Mathilde. Maybe instead of Joachim Prince Felix of Luxembourg.
Or Maria Laura and a relativ/cousin (male) of Mathilde.

HRH Princess Máxima is still a Roman Catholic,she did not nor will not convert.
:)

Following the pattern with the 3 elder children it would seem that it is a godfather from Mathilde's family and a godmother from Phillipe's family:

- Marquis Alfonso Pallavicini (godfather)
- Princess Maria Laura of Belgium (godmother)

The Godparents: Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Princess Claire of Belgium. graaf Sébastien von Westphalen zu Fürstenberg

Is it two Godmothers because Victoria is not catholic?

I'm going to assume they will ask family members, and if they decide on a royal most likely it will be Maxima with Mary as a long shot (even though Mathilde is godmother to Isabella).

Who is graaf Sèbastien von Westphalen zu Fürstenberg?

Why are there going to be 2 godmothers and only one godfather? Is that a normal thing in the Belgium Royal Family?

i'm confused too...i thought they always chose one godmother and one godfather....i'm a bit disappointed though as i was hoping for maria aura to be godmother...

When we had our daughter christened, the rule was that just one of the godparents had to be Catholic, I don't know if they do things differently in Europe, though.

I didnt know that Maria Laura had the title of Princess. What does HIRH stand for?
I think they will stick with close family this time also.

It stands for "Her Imperial and Royal Highness"
She gets the "imperial" title through her father. She is a Princess of Belgium through her mother, and through her father "Archduchess of Austria-Este, Princess Imperial of Austria, Princess Royal of Hungary and Bohemia, Princess of Modena "

I was totally surprised with the choose of godparents. Princess Claire was the most surprising choose for me.

I was totally surprised with the choose of godparents. Princess Claire was the most surprising choose for me.
Yes, really surprising, but also really great. I have to say recently I came to like Claire more and more, I think the royal family really appreciates her, so great choice. :);)

Some more information about the godfather Sébastien Marie Marc von Westphalen zu Fürstenberg was born at Bonn (Germany) on September 5th, 1964. He is the first son and second child of Count Giesbert (°1930-) en Countess Elisabeth, née von Fürstenberg-Stammheim (°1936-).

His mother was born Elisabeth Marie Freiin von Fürstenberg, and was half Belgian, even born at Francorchamps. Sébastien is a count himself and since 1998 is married to Vinciane d'Harcourt (* 1968) of the counts d'Harcourt from France. They have three sons: Gaudens (* 2000), Nicodème (* 2003) and Tassilo (* 2005).

The fact that they chose three godparents for their daughter surprised me as well. I really thought they were going to go with two godparents again as is tradion with catholics and the Belgian Royal Family as well. Wouldn't surprise me though that they originally wanted count Sébastien and Crown Princess Victoria but remembered the big stirr Prince Laurent caused when he announced he was planning to ask a muslim as a godparent to Princess Louise when she was born.

My original guess was Princess Maria Laura and the husband of Elisabeth d'Udekem d'Acoz, but I also thought that they could ask Marie Cavallier as a godmother as the baby was born on Margrethe's birthday and Marie Cavallier is still a Catholic as far is we know (although it is expected that she will convert prior to the wedding on May 24).

My guess is that we will get an explanation on the choice of godparents when Mathilde leaves the hospital. No date is known as of yet, but my guess would be this Saturday or next Monday at the latest.

Just wanted to say that reading the title of this thiread made me smile, because Princess Eléonore of Belgium sounds so beautiful and regal.

As for Claire I'm not surprised. It looks that both like each other.
I thought that maybe Maxima becouse frendship of the Princess of the Netherlands and the Duchess of Brabant.
As for the godfather I thought that will be Lorenz or maybe Alfonso.

it was really a very big surprise that Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden is to be a godmother cause i thought that if they had a non-belgium royal it would have been a catholic

It stands for "Her Imperial and Royal Highness"
She gets the "imperial" title through her father. She is a Princess of Belgium through her mother, and through her father "Archduchess of Austria-Este, Princess Imperial of Austria, Princess Royal of Hungary and Bohemia, Princess of Modena "
Thank you lilytornado, you always give such great answers and information, much appreciated.

The Godparents: Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Princess Claire of Belgium. graaf Sébastien von Westphalen zu Fürstenberg

Is it two Godmothers because Victoria is not catholic?

I'm confused! Are these for real? I know many have jumped on this post thinking it's official, but I'm just wondering if it is that norwegianne is guessing just like everyone else or if this is indeed the real godparents? I don't see why this baby would get 3 godparents when the others only got 2. And also this family has stayed pretty much within the family as much as possible too so I think it's kind of weird that CP Victoria would be choosen especially for a 4th child. I was thinking that they simply liked the name Victoria and that there was no real connection.

I am confused by the 2 godmothers myself. That's not typically the norm in the Catholic faith. And, as was pointed out, not very usual to have a "non-Catholic" godparent.
Oh well, to each is own. A child can never have too much love and guidance around them right?

Okay so I guess it is true that Victoria will be godmother to this baby. I find this to be a very odd choice that does not match well with this family or this child's birth order. Strange!

Had she been choosen years ago for Elisabeth I could see that. Future Queen godmother to another future queen, that would have made sense!

Last edited:
I'm confused! Are these for real? I know many have jumped on this post thinking it's official, but I'm just wondering if it is that norwegianne is guessing just like everyone else or if this is indeed the real godparents? I don't see why this baby would get 3 godparents when the others only got 2. And also this family has stayed pretty much within the family as much as possible too so I think it's kind of weird that CP Victoria would be choosen especially for a 4th child. I was thinking that they simply liked the name Victoria and that there was no real connection.

My names were taken from the public release that I translated from Dutch to English in the thread of Eléonore's birth. No guessing :flowers:

I was just wondering, does anyone know yet when the christening will actually take place, or has no announcements been made yet to that respect?

sorry about asking this , so godparents are Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Claire ? any men

sorry about asking this , so godparents are Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Claire ? any men

See Norwegianne's post some pages ago, it says:

Maybe I'm late, but I want to show my opinion too. When I heard that CP vctoria has been chosen as godmother for the little Eleonore,I was very suprised because I know that belgian royal family is very religious and devote catholic. So, according to catholic tradition, godparents had to be catholic and they had to be two,a man and a woman.

I think we all are shocked with the choice of Crown Princess Victoria being one of the godparents. Shocked but pleasantly surprised.

I think we all are shocked with the choice of Crown Princess Victoria being one of the godparents. Shocked but pleasantly surprised.

Shocked??? Why should we be shocked???

Suprised? Yes. Probably it was a great wish of the couple to have Princess Victoria as a godparent. So they don't go for the usual this time. Good for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom