Engagement of Philippe & Mathilde

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crownprincessrhey

Aristocracy
City
Cebu
Country
Philippines
in the other forums, there were discussions about the engagement presentation and the press conference...are they videos and pictures or stories regarding the engagement about CP Philippe and Mathilde??

Pictures of the engagement 10 september 1999 after dating 3 years they announced there wedding. The engagement took place at the garden of Laken Palace

1 -- 2 -- 3 -- 4 -- 5

6 -- 7 -- 8 -- 9 -- 10

11 -- 12 -- 13 -- 14 -- 15

The Ring

I have to say the ring is not one of my favourites.

No, it's not one of mine either. It looks very masculine to me for some reason. I think if the band had been narrower and the stone a princess or emerald cut, it would have looked more delicate or feminine.

I've always been struck by Mathilde's choice of a casual trouser outfit for the engagement press conference. There's something inherently regal and dignified in the understatedness of her choice - like she wasn't a girl living out a princess fantasy and letting it all go to her head.

thanks stephanievl, I'm a great admirer of CP Mathilde...and I quite agree with the ring..it is not something I expect, it's more like a class ring with a huge stone

I like to see a princess (or an engaged princess-to-be) in a skirt. She could have still dressed casually but in a skirt ensemble. I supppose this shows how old-fashioned I am.:flowers:

I've always been struck by Mathilde's choice of a casual trouser outfit for the engagement press conference. There's something inherently regal and dignified in the understatedness of her choice - like she wasn't a girl living out a princess fantasy and letting it all go to her head.

I like to see a princess (or an engaged princess-to-be) in a skirt. She could have still dressed casually but in a skirt ensemble. I supppose this shows how old-fashioned I am.:flowers:

I would usually agree with you, but I snobbishly give the nobly-born Mathilde a pass. Show's how old-fashioned I am.:flowers:

I have to say the ring is not one of my favourites.

It's interesting that the stone in Mathilde's ring is now blue (sapphire), I wonder if the original stone was lost or damaged. Thank you for the lovely pictures Stephanie, I hadn't viewed many of them before.:flowers:

Some days ago, martha-louise wrote in the CP Philippe and CP Mathilde current events-thread that Mathilde’s engagement ring has been renewed on the occasion of the couple’s 10th engagement anniversary. Perhaps they choose the colour blue because it represents fidelity… Hence, I think the old stone is still in a good condition:).

In my region here in Belgium, in earlier days, it was common to give a cheap stone in the engagement ring and a real or a more expensive stone after a few years. This is because people didn't have much money before their marriage. It was common to give all your earned money to your parents as long as you lived with them.
But of course in the case of Philippe and Mathilde this won't be the reason, but maybe it is in this tradition the ring is renewed.

Can someone tell me where I can find photos and videos of the princes's marriage?
Is there something in youtube? I can't find it...

Thanks in advance :)

Then call me old fashioned too because I thought she would've looked so much better in a skirt and better jewelry. If they have a thread for the worst engagement outfit I'd put her in it.
:winkiss:

Does CP Mathilde drink alcohol? I'm asking because she made toast with a juice, instead of champaigne, as the others do.

Does anyone have a picture of her ring as a sapphire?

Thank you.I really like better than the ruby.

Could it be that the engagement wasn't supposed to be announced that specific day as according to the first link above the press got a hold of it and the formal announcement came the same day (although they managed to get the whole family together)? And if so, could that explain Mathilde's outfit? Especially the pictures from the back (see second link) look pretty bad.

:previous: Yes. It's a pretty unflattering rear view...one of the worst Royal fiancee engagement outfits ever.:ermm:

And that's a shame because Mathilde was so lovely and poised.

Could it be that the engagement wasn't supposed to be announced that specific day as according to the first link above the press got a hold of it and the formal announcement came the same day (although they managed to get the whole family together)? And if so, could that explain Mathilde's outfit? Especially the pictures from the back (see second link) look pretty bad.

That's true. The palace had intended for the engagement to be announced at a later date, but someone at the palace spoke before his turn "that Philippe would get engaged to a certain Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz". It leaked out to the press and the palace had to adjust their press planning.
Hence the impromptu announcement and press conference.

I've wondered why Prince Philippe thought he needed to clarify that it was a love match.
Probably because he wanted to stress that this wasn't an arranged marriage. Aged 39 he had been a bachelor without any rumoured serious romances for so long that many of the public considered him a confirmed bachelor and saw the changes in 1991 regarding the Royal family as a clear sign of them preparing for him being followed by Princess Astrid and/or Prince Amadeo on the throne.

The Bellga television newscast on 10/09/1999 was dedicated to Philippe and Mathilde.

That day Philippe and Mathilde's engagement was made public.

Last edited:
The Bellga television newscast on 10/09/1999 was dedicated to Philippe and Mathilde.

That day Philippe and Mathilde's engagement was made public.

I wasn't aware, as mentioned in the clip, that Philippe was once matched with Infantas Elena or Cristina. Was that possibility ever taken seriously?

Back
Top Bottom