Baby Boy For Philippe And Mathilde 20 August 2003

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandria

Heir Apparent
Country
Canada
Just heard on the Benelux Royals message board, a boy named Gabriel for Phillippe and Mathilde.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats to the Crown Prince couple and big sister Elisabeth! :clap:

Prince Philippe and the Mathilde Princess are happy to be able to announce to the birth of a little brother for the Princess Elisabeth, Wednesday 20 August 2003 at 01. 14 at the hospital Erasme in Anderlecht. He will carry the first names of Gabriel Baudouin Charles Marie. The Princess and her son are well. The weight of the child is 4 kg, it measures 52 cm, has the blue eyes and the fair hair. The godmother of Gabriel will be Baronne Hans-Ulrich von Freyberg, born Maria Christina Rossi di Montelera, small-niece of Prince Philippe. The godfather will be the Count Charles-Henri d' Udekem d' Acoz, brother of Princess Mathilde.

Here is the official announcement from the royal family's web page:

20/8/2003
Le Prince Philippe , La Princesse Mathilde

Naissance

Le Prince Philippe et la Princesse Mathilde sont heureux de pouvoir annoncer la naissance d’un petit frère pour la Princesse Elisabeth, le mercredi 20 août 2003 à 01 h 14 à l’hôpital Erasme à Anderlecht. Il portera les prénoms de Gabriel, Baudouin, Charles, Marie. La Princesse et son fils se portent bien. Le poids de l'enfant est de 4 kg, il mesure 52 cm, a les yeux bleus et les cheveux blonds. La marraine de Gabriel sera la Baronne Hans-Ulrich von Freyberg, née Maria Christina Rossi di Montelera, petite-nièce du Prince Philippe. Le parrain sera le Comte Charles-Henri d'Udekem d'Acoz, frère de la Princesse Mathilde.

Originally posted by samitude@Aug 19th, 2003 - 9:48 pm
The godmother of Gabriel will be Baronne Hans-Ulrich von Freyberg, born Maria Christina Rossi di Montelera, small-niece of Prince Philippe.
I don't think any of us saw the name Gabriel coming! But beautiful name, I think. Is it common in Belgium? It's a popular French name however.

Not to dampen the wonderful news, but who is Phillippe's small-niece Maria Christina Rossi di Montelera, Baronne Hans-Ulrich von Freyberg? I though his only nieces were Astrid's children, Maria Luisa, Laura Maria and Laeticia Maria?

Im so happy for her to have baby boy!

im not sure she had second section? she had first section when she had daughter was born i think she had previous c-section experience when she become pregnant with her daughter before.

Sara Boyce

YAY! ;) I'm so happy they had a healthy baby! I'm sure Prince Phillipe is glad to have a baby boy to play with. ;) Congrats to the entire Belgium Royal family. They've had a great year, with two healthy babies. ;) ;)

:flower: HB

P.S. I think Gabriel is a beatiful name though I didn't see that one coming. :stuart: :sideways:

Congratulations to the Royal couple!

Alexandria, I found an excerpt at pages.prodigy.net/ptheroff, and it implies there that Maria Christina Rossi di Montelera is a small-niece of Queen Paolo instead, so then that would make her Prince Philippe's second cousin. How that can be so very confusing :rolleyes:. I do hope that everything went well for Princess Mathilde, sara1981. Congratulations to them on the birth of their little boy :flower:.

WALDBURG-ZEIL-HOHENEMS

The engagement was announced between Alois Graf von Waldburg-Zeil-Hohenems (son of Josef Graf von Waldburg-Zeil-Hohenems and of his wife, née Maria Benedikta Freiin von Redwitz) and "A. Rossi di Montelera" (apparently Antonella Rossi di Montelera, b.13 May 1970, fourth and last daughter of Count Ernesto Rossi di Montelera and of his wife, née Emanuela San Martino d'Agliè dei Marchesi di Fontanetto, a niece of Queen Paolo of the Belgians).
[Alois was married firstly in 1994 to Maria Christina Gräfin Deym von Stritetz. She was killed in a traffic accident in 2000, along with their second son, Ludwig. Antonella's sisters Lidia et Cristina married respectively Maximilian Graf von Trauttmansdorff-Weinsberg and Hans-Ulrich Freiherr von Freyberg-Eisenberg.] (added 4 Jul 2003)

Originally posted by samitude@Aug 20th, 2003 - 3:48 am
Gabriel Baudouin Charles Marie
:clap:

Gabriel is a very nice name

:flower:

can't wait to see the first pictures

I agree, it's different but still an excellent name, I'm sure Elisabeth is excited about her new baby brother.

Now that the royal couple has a "pair" do you think they will have more children in the future or is this it.????

Raven :lol:

Originally posted by ravenprincess@Aug 20th, 2003 - 7:23 am
Now that the royal couple has a "pair" do you think they will have more children in the future?
I hope so ;)

Originally posted by ravenprincess@Aug 20th, 2003 - 1:23 am

Now that the royal couple has a "pair" do you think they will have more children in the future or is this it.????

Mathilde is still a very young woman, I think she and Phillippe will have more children. At least one more.

And Brenda, thank you for explaining who Phillippe's "small-niece" is. Is he close to this cousin that he and Mathilde would choose for her to be the godmother to their son?

If Philippe and Mathilde follow in the footsteps of King Leopold and King Albert the will have a girl and two boys! Well, that't true if you don't count the children of King Leopold and Princess Lilian.

Here's a link to VTM news. If you click on the video that says Woensdag 20/08 it shows what the news reports on the baby are in Belgium. In between short interviews with comentators and the public there are several video clips of Philippe, Mathilde and Elisabeth. There's a short video of Elisabeth's christening also in this particular clip.

Link: VTM Video

Originally posted by Alexandria+Aug 20th, 2003 - 8:49 am--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Aug 20th, 2003 - 8:49 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ravenprincess@Aug 20th, 2003 - 1:23 am

Mathilde is still a very young woman, I think she and Phillippe will have more children. At least one more.

And Brenda, thank you for explaining who Phillippe's "small-niece" is. Is he close to this cousin that he and Mathilde would choose for her to be the godmother to their son? [/b][/quote]
yeh i think they will have some more kids too , i think maybe 4 or so.....like Astrid. at least i think Filip would like that ;)
I think the godmother is very close to Filip and Mathilde. don't think they would have chosen a total stranger. Laeticia's godmother was not very well known too.

anyway , i thought it was absolutely cute when Filip said that little Elisabeth has been a little nervous lately......she probably felt something was going to change......just so cute

by the way , i just LOVE the name Gabriel :heart:

Originally posted by Alexandria+Aug 20th, 2003 - 11:43 am--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Aug 20th, 2003 - 11:43 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--sara1981@Aug 20th, 2003 - 11:56 am
i got news from hello!

http://www.hellomagazine.com/2003/08/20/pr...incessmathilde/

Sara Boyce
The Hello headline: A Baby Boy for Princess Mathilde of Belgium makes it sound like Mathilde did it all by herself! Like Phillippe had no part in it all, like she found a baby for herself while out for a walk one day![/b][/quote]
I had a laugh at that too! But since she was the one to endure labour, I think it is fair to give her sole billing in the title. ;) Besides, Phillipe was mentioned in the first line of article...

Great news for Philippe & Mathilde. Can't wait to see the baby pictures. I wonder if little Elisabeth will try to play little mother to her little brother. She is so sweet. :)

20 AUGUST 2003

Princess Mathilde of Belgium and her husband Crown Prince Philippe welcomed a new addition to the family on Wednesday, bringing their first child, 22-month-old Princess Elisabeth, a little brother.

Gabriel Baudouin Charles Marie came into the world at 1:14am, weighing 8lbs 13oz (four kilos) and measuring 21 inches (53 centimetres), announced the royal palace. "The princess and her son are fine," added the statement.

Gabriel is the seventh grandchild of King Albert II and Queen Paola, who interrupted their vacations in the south of France to jet to Brussels in order to properly greet the new member of the family. The infant will occupy the third place in the line of succession, behind his elder sibling Elisabeth.

Little Gabriel's delivery came a bit early, as his birth wasn't expected until September. When his sister was born in 2001, she arrived two weeks before her due date as well.

Prinzessin Mathilde bringt Prinz Gabriel zur Welt [20.08.2003 09:42]

In der vergangenen Nacht ist das zweite Kind von Prinz Philippe und Prinzessin Mathilde zur Welt gekommen. Es handelt sich um einen Sohn mit dem Namen Gabriel. Die Geburt verlief offenbar ohne Komplikationen. Prinz Gabriel, Baudouin, Charles, Marie wurde um 1 Uhr 14 im Brüsseler Erasmus-Krankenhaus geboren. Eigentlich war die Geburt erst für Anfang September erwartet worden. Gabriel ist 52 Zentimeter lang, wiegt 4 Kilo, hat blaue Augen und blonde Haare. Er kam nicht durch einen Kaiserschnitt zur Welt wie es bei seiner Schwester Elisabeth der Fall gewesen war. Elisabeth wird am 25. Oktober 2 Jahre alt. Prinz Gabriel ist der Dritte in der Thronfolge hinter seinem Vater und seiner Schwester. Er ist das 7. Enkelkind von König Albert und Königin Paola. Das Königspaar weilt zur Zeit zu einer Urlaubsreise im Ausland, wird diese jedoch unterbrechen und nach Brüssel zurückkehren. Der Name Gabriel kommt zum ersten Mal im belgischen Königshaus vor. Paten des Prinzen werden eine italienische Großnichte von Prinz Philippe und der Bruder von Prinzessin Mathilde.

Die ersten Fotos von Gabriel werden wahrscheinlich am kommenden Samstag veröffentlicht werden.

www.brf.be

first pictures maybe Saturday

August 20, 2003 Anderlecht, Belgium --- On August 20th, little Princess Elisabeth got a brother. Prince Phillipe (43) and Princess Mathilde (30) have announced today that their son Gabriel Boudewijn Karel Maria was born in the Erasmus hospital at 01.14 AM. Princess Mathilde and son Gabriel both are in good health. The little boy has blue eyes, blond hair, weighs 4 kg, and is 52 cm tall. It is the first time that the christian name 'Gabriel' appears in the genealogy of the Belgian dynasty. Photo: Prince Philippe meets the press

August 20, 2003 Anderlecht, Belgium --- On August 20th, little Princess Elisabeth got a brother. Prince Phillipe (43) and Princess Mathilde (30) have announced today that their son Gabri l Boudewijn Karel Maria was born in the Erasmus hospital at 01.14 AM. Princess Mathilde and son Gabriel both are in good health. The little boy has blue eyes, blond hair, weighs 4 kg, and is 52 cm tall. It is the first time that the christian name 'Gabriel' appears in the genealogy of the Belgian dynasty. Photo: Prince Philippe meets the press.

August 20, 2003 Anderlecht, Belgium --- On August 20th, little Princess Elisabeth got a brother. Prince Phillipe (43) and Princess Mathilde (30) have announced today that their son Gabri l Boudewijn Karel Maria was born in the Erasmus hospital at 01.14 AM. Princess Mathilde and son Gabriel both are in good health. The little boy has blue eyes, blond hair, weighs 4 kg, and is 52 cm tall. It is the first time that the christian name 'Gabriel' appears in the genealogy of the Belgian dynasty. Photo: Prince Philippe meets the press.

August 20, 2003 Anderlecht, Belgium --- On August 20th, little Princess Elisabeth got a brother. Prince Phillipe (43) and Princess Mathilde (30) have announced today that their son Gabri l Boudewijn Karel Maria was born in the Erasmus hospital at 01.14 AM. Princess Mathilde and son Gabriel both are in good health. The little boy has blue eyes, blond hair, weighs 4 kg, and is 52 cm tall. It is the first time that the christian name 'Gabriel' appears in the genealogy of the Belgian dynasty. Photo: King Albert II and Queen Paola arriving at the hospital.

August 20, 2003 Anderlecht, Belgium --- On August 20th, little Princess Elisabeth got a brother. Prince Phillipe (43) and Princess Mathilde (30) have announced today that their son Gabri l Boudewijn Karel Maria was born in the Erasmus hospital at 01.14 AM. Princess Mathilde and son Gabriel both are in good health. The little boy has blue eyes, blond hair, weighs 4 kg, and is 52 cm tall. It is the first time that the christian name 'Gabriel' appears in the genealogy of the Belgian dynasty. Photo : Queen Paola arriving at the hospital.

all pictures of the proud father: Corbis: photography, rights, assignment, motion.

Attachments

• phil.JPG
    phil.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 356
  • phil.JPG
    phil.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 417
  • phil.JPG
    phil.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 294
  • phil.JPG
    phil.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 357
  • phil2.JPG
    phil2.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 257
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Tina! Nice pics. That's a very happy papa! :flower:

www.yahoo.com

Belgium's new baby prince

20 August 2003

BRUSSELS – Belgium's Princess Mathilde gave birth to her second child Wednesday morning, Prince Gabriel Boudewijn Karel Maria.

Prince Gabriel is now third in line of succession to the throne after his father Prince Philip and sister Elisabeth, born in October 2001.

The newest addition to Belgium’s Royal Family was born at the Erasmus hospital in Anderlecht, Brussels, at 1.14am in the morning, a few weeks early.

Start or join a discussionThe blonde, blue-eyed boy weighed in at 4 kilos and 52 centimetres in length.

The seventh grandchild of King Albert II and Queen Paola will be visited by his grandparents upon their earlier than planned return from vacation in the South of France.

Gabriel’s godmother was announced as being the Baroness Hans-Ulrich von Freyberg, second cousin to Prince Philip, while his godfather will be Princess Mathilde’s brother, Count Charles-Henri d’Udekem d’Acoz.

The name Gabriel has never been used in the Royal family.The baby’s second name, Boudewijn, refers to the late and much-loved King Boudewijn.

Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt congratulated the royal couple in the name of all Belgians upon the news of the birth of their son.

So who wanna start a prince Gabriel thread.... like his sisters tthread with news and pictures.... (when the pictures comes) ;)

im sure Mathilde have second c-section ? if Phillipe told press yet? you know she had previous c-section when her daughter was born in 2001

Sara Boyce

According to the other boards Mathilde had the baby naturally this time.

:clap:

I can't wait for the first pictures of Prince Gabriel :)

I was just wondering (looking at the picutre of Phillippe) if the media was allowed inside the hospital?
I wasn't sure if that was against policy or not especially when such a high profile person is a patient.

ravenprincess

From the Benelux Royals message board (plus a picture of Elisabeth meeting her new baby brother - but still Daddy's little girl! :p ):

There was a small interview with prince Philippe.

He said he was really tired, because it had been a long and very emotional night. (he also looked very emotional, just like at Elisa's birth.)
Mathilde and he knew beforehand it would be a boy this time, and he said it was 'a king's wish' coming true (koningswens).

He also said that Gabriel very strongly ressembles his sister, that he's a very strong little boy, with quite big hands and feet, so that shows he'll be a strong boy later on, and that also fits with the name they've chosen for him. Philippe added that, apart from its significance, they also chose the name 'Gabriel' because it's a figure that appears in 3 beliefs: the jewish, the christian, and the islamic, and that it's therefor a unifying name.

And one more of little Elisabeth.

Attachments

• elisabeth_a.jpg
    elisabeth_a.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 560
  • elisabeth.jpg
    elisabeth.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 559
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back