Will Prince Charles receive the Nobel Peace Prize one day?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

love_cc

Courtier
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
I read the news that the former US vice president was nominated in 07 Nobel Peace Prize for his wide-range efforts in drawing attention to the danger of global warming.
I am just wondering whether Prince Charles would be qualified to be receive a Nobel Peace Prize nominee for his efforts in protecting environment, promoting peace between different religions etc?
I am just wondering whether his position as Prince of Wales will prevent him to receive this prize or not? or Do you think it is far too political for him to receive the prize.

Last edited:
love_cc said:
I read the news that the former US vice president was nominated in 07 Nobel Peace Prize for his wide-range efforts in drawing attention to the danger of global warming.
I am just wondering whether Prince Charles would be qualified to be receive a Nobel Peace Prize nominee for his efforts in protecting environment, promoting peace between different religions etc?
I am just wondering whether his position as Prince of Wales will prevent him to receive this prize or not? or Do you think it is far too political for him to receive the prize.

As far as I am aware there is not reason for him not to be eligible - wasn't there talk of Diana being nominated for her work with landmines shortly before or after she died?

I think anyone can be nominated, but to actually receive one would be a different story. Promoting eco-friendly causes are well and good. I just can't equate the effort to "peace".

The 2004 Nobel Peace Prize Winner Wangari Maathai was awarded for "her contribution to sustainable development, democracy and peace", she founded a Green Belt movement in Kenya. Wangari Maathai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So it is possible to win a Nobel Peace Prize for enviromental reasons.

It isn't that difficult to be nominated, any former winner, member of a government, univeristy professor ect. can nominate. They are usually try to keep them secret though. He might have already been nominated.

Even if Charles is doing a lot of great things, engaging himself in environmental causes and ecological farming etc, I personally think that he won't land the Nobel Peace Prize anytime soon...

Maybe he has been nominated, we can't know that, but I personally think that his work and causes get plenty of attention and are successful as it is - it's better to honour one of the global organisations, great international leaders or projects that have risen in poorer countries. Charles as Prince of Wales and future King has enough money and world attention on him to be able to proceed with his projects and bring attention to things etc anyway.

There are standardly all sorts of nominations for the Peace Prize, most of which aren't being done because they think their nominee will win, but just to draw attention for political reasons and so on. There was a news report yesterday that Rush Limbaugh had been nominated for the Peace Prize (probably in response to the Gore nomination). Unlike the science prizes, a lot of people are eligible to nominate someone, so there are often any number of nominations. Since it tends to be a political type of thing, I doubt Prince Charles would want to get involved.

I think it would be wonderful if he were nominated and won. He's founded several charities, run around the world trying to promote multicultural and multi-ethnic understanding, and helping the homeless and underprivileged all the time, so yes, I think a Nobel Prize would be appropriate.

Sorry, but for what he could recive NPB?:ermm:

Possibly for the work he's been doing promoting dialogue and understanding between different religious groups, primarily Christians and Muslims.

Admirable, but I'm not sure this is deserving of a Nobel Peace Prize, which is a very heady award to say the least. It would appear from British newspapers and the ones I read where I live that Charles has a long, long way to go here, unfortunately. :sad:

I think this is an excellent question, and I think the Prince of Wales is a worthy consideration for the peace prize. I rank him among the "greats" of the day, right alongside Kofi Annan. Prince Charles has done equally great work. It is strange to me that the Prince has not ever sought to have a role or association with the United Nations, as other royals have done (Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Albert, even Diana sought to be a "goodwill ambassador"). Maybe there is a constitutional barrier to the heir to the British throne having such a role??

If anything I think his work through the Prince's Trust is a stronger cause for him being nominated. It has been providing solutions to unemployment. As the old saying goes, if you teach someone to fish, he can feed himself. As to any constitutional barrier to a rol with the UN, I don't think so. But I'd think as a future monarch, it may be a touchy area to get into because of the implication with the role of Britain as an independent nation vs its place with European Union.

I think he will. He is very into the environment and farming.

I wasn't quite sure where to post this so forgive me if I have it in the wrong thread. When I read this morning that Al Gore won the Nobel for his Global warming efforts, my first thoughts were Al Gore? Shouldn't it have been Prince Charles? A man who has been defending the environment for over 30 years at the risk of looking foolish for decades and with out whom there would be no Al Gore global warming? Just my two cents.

Well said! Prince Charles does deserve some serious recognition for his efforts.

I wasn't quite sure where to post this so forgive me if I have it in the wrong thread. When I read this morning that Al Gore won the Nobel for his Global warming efforts, my first thoughts were Al Gore? Shouldn't it have been Prince Charles? A man who has been defending the environment for over 30 years at the risk of looking foolish for decades and with out whom there would be no Al Gore global warming? Just my two cents.

But Hibou, Al Gore has been working on the global warming problem since the 80s at least! Truly, he began to study it with his mentor at Harvard, and as a senator he was one of the first politicians in the US to speak out on the issue! Al Gore has been working a very, very long time on the issue, just like Prince Charles. I am not saying Prince Charles should not have this honor too, but to say Al Gore doesn't deserve it because it should only be for Charles?! :nonono:

But Hibou, Al Gore has been working on the global warming problem since the 80s at least! Truly, he began to study it with his mentor at Harvard, and as a senator he was one of the first politicians in the US to speak out on the issue! Al Gore has been working a very, very long time on the issue, just like Prince Charles. I am not saying Prince Charles should not have this honor too, but to say Al Gore doesn't deserve it because it should only be for Charles?! :nonono:
Since this isn't suppose to be a place to discuss political views, I will state that this is my observation and not a political assesment of Al Gore, but there are so many more people who deserve to win the Noble Peace prize besides Al Gore. I had no problem giving it to Jimmy Carter but to Al Gore??????????? Prince Charles would certainly be one person I would have respected them for giving it to. PC has always tried to live his beliefs and give back to the world. I personally think Al Gore jumped on a bandwagon in order to gain popularity again because no one wanted his contribution to society any longer, he had become the brunt of late night talk show jokes. There are many articles that state he doesn't practice what he preaches, and at least Prince Charles always tries to live his beliefs, not just mouth them. IMHO. Like everyone who writes in this forum, we all have our beliefs, mostly from our life experiences, so I am in no way critizing someone elses opinion, I am just expressing my own.:flowers: I do hope some day Prince Charles does get recongized for all the good things he has done as POW.

Since this isn't suppose to be a place to discuss political views, I will state that this is my observation and not a political assesment of Al Gore, but there are so many more people who deserve to win the Noble Peace prize besides Al Gore. I had no problem giving it to Jimmy Carter but to Al Gore??????????? Prince Charles would certainly be one person I would have respected them for giving it to. PC has always tried to live his beliefs and give back to the world. I personally think Al Gore jumped on a bandwagon in order to gain popularity again because no one wanted his contribution to society any longer, he had become the brunt of late night talk show jokes. There are many articles that state he doesn't practice what he preaches, and at least Prince Charles always tries to live his beliefs, not just mouth them. IMHO. Like everyone who writes in this forum, we all have our beliefs, mostly from our life experiences, so I am in no way critizing someone elses opinion, I am just expressing my own.:flowers: I do hope some day Prince Charles does get recongized for all the good things he has done as POW.

I have to agree with you in every way.(for the record, I too am not making a political statement) While Al Gore may have been interested in it since the 80's it has been Prince Charles who stood his ground and faced ridicule for pursuing this. The Nobels to me are about facing opposition in order to make a statement for the welfare of the world and when I look at Al Gore and what Prince Charles has faced, to me Prince Charles was the one that fit the description better. JMO

While Al Gore may have been interested in it since the 80's it has been Prince Charles who stood his ground and faced ridicule for pursuing this. The Nobels to me are about facing opposition in order to make a statement for the welfare of the world and when I look at Al Gore and what Prince Charles has faced, to me Prince Charles was the one that fit the description better. JMO
It is no secret that I support Charles and all his efforts to make us make a difference, but, the man in the street and indeed the governments of the world have listened more to Al Gore on this matter than they ever have Charles. Both men deserve it and I would think Charles would be the first to say that it doesn't matter as long as people take notice of what they are BOTH telling us! :flowers:

It is no secret that I support Charles and all his efforts to make us make a difference, but, the man in the street and indeed the governments of the world have listened more to Al Gore on this matter than they ever have Charles. Both men deserve it and I would think Charles would be the first to say that it doesn't matter as long as people take notice of what they are BOTH telling us! :flowers:

Who wants to bet that Charles, once he is king will invite Al Gore to become a honorary member of the "Of Merit"-order? ;)

Both could happen Charles could get the Nobel and Gore The Order of Merit, what the OM for anyway

I certainly hope that Prince Charles gets the Nobel Prize one day soon, he has given decades of his life helping others, he deserves it, imo.

I think if Al Gore were British, he may get/have gotten the OM. However, there seems to be a much higher standard for foreign awards. The 3 that come to mind are Nelson Mandela, Mother Theresa, and General Eisenhower. As good as Gore may be, I don't think he's up to that standard yet. The significant amount of division he causes would also lessen the likelihood that he would get it.

Possibly for the work he's been doing promoting dialogue and understanding between different religious groups, primarily Christians and Muslims.

Exactyly, Just like Egypt & Isreal received back in 1978 0r 1979 I think I can't remember,

It was Jimmy Carter who brought the two together. & Jimmy Carter got his a few Years ago( which was LONG OVER DUE) for all his work to promote Peace & helping out the Poor in 3rd world countries & building Homes through, HFH. People tend to over look this when it is Mentioned that Jimmy Carter is also a Peace Prize Winner:wub:

Great point you made. Anyone who can bring peace to The Muslims & Jews & Christians deserves a big Prize.

It is no secret that I support Charles and all his efforts to make us make a difference, but, the man in the street and indeed the governments of the world have listened more to Al Gore on this matter than they ever have Charles. Both men deserve it and I would think Charles would be the first to say that it doesn't matter as long as people take notice of what they are BOTH telling us
OMG:ohmy: We agree:lol: . Whats next? The Ice Age, jk:flowers:

He should get it with all his work with the Enviorment :)

giving him price is unfair. it is his job. other people dont get nobel prise because they do there job good.

I agree with you.

I am a great fan of Prince Charles's interests like environment and homeopathy :) I was very little when I read that people were joking with him because he used to talk with plants. He was right, plants like to hear people voices. When I leave to work I always turn on the radio, and my plants grow, grow and grow.
He is a tolerant man with a genuine interest about other religions and faiths and to me is a man of large vision who spent his life searching for better ways that could give life-quality to people and to our planet.
I think Prince Charles deserves a Nobel Peace Prize.

I'm not against him receiving the Nobel Peace Prize but personally, I believe many other people deserve it as well and perhaps more than he does. Prince Charles does brilliant things but to the point of getting a Nobel Prize, I'm not convinced. According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize should be awarded "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses." I can easily give him the fraternity between nation with the work he supports to stop conflicts between religious groups. His efforts for environment truly impress me and I'd give him an award for that however not the Peace Prize. I disagree with how its signification has turned out. Environment is a very important issue, still I hardly see the link with Peace. They'd better create an Environment Prize rather than giving a Nobel Peace one to Al-Gore ... .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom