Will Prince Charles receive the Nobel Peace Prize one day?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obama got his for what he "might" do in the future. What schlock.

Yes, that award cost me my respect for the organization.
But I suppose the nature of any award is that it sometimes goes to a controversial individual.

Obama got his prize because he wasn't George W. Bush. I don't know if he should have gotten it or the country as a whole for voting for him. Then again, we did elect Bush 1 1/2 times.
I think any person who has earned an Noble should be awarded one, whether they are royal or not. I can't think of any reason why the Queen deserves one, maybe someone could fill me in; but I do think Charles has done some good work.

Last edited:
I agree. The Nobel Prize has become too political, and so a member of a royal family shouldn't accept one or even be eligible.

Royals should not under any circumstances accept such an honour.
They are there to hand out honours, not to accept them.

On what grounds?

Sorry, I do not mean to be rude. I am ignorant of what Prince Charles has made that would qualify him for a Nobel prize?

That a president can get the price I see as something else. In the diplomatic protocol, the President is of lower rank than a King (reigning monarch). And presidents are selected often on ground of the ideas they expressed. The monarch is "head of state" often during a lifetime. If a royalty would be proposed for a Nobel Prize I do not think they would accept the price. As someone already said, they get quite a lot of attention for the charity and similar work they do.

Last edited:
I don't think a royal has ever gotten that award.

Correct me if am wrong.

:previous: You may be right.

I thought it was a great honour to be awarded a Nobel Peace Prize until President Obama got it for doing nothing except not being President Bush. It sullied the Award and was at odds with the true spirit of the award.

That being said, if someone has worked hard in any of the Nobel categories, and is nominated and even awarded one, then I think they should accept the honour regardless of who they are.

Politicians get awards for achieving something in a relatively short period of time (the above mentioned President notwithstanding) whereas those nominated in the other fields seem to be nominated for a lifetime achievement or for body of work done over decades. Prince Charles work would fit that model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom