Will Prince Charles receive the Nobel Peace Prize one day?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
giving him price is unfair. it is his job. other people dont get nobel prise because they do there job good.

Prince Charles has been doing a terrific job helping through the "Prince's Trust" a lot of young people get educated or through grants start their own business.
The name of that gentleman who received the prize two years ago escapes me, but he helped through micro credit a lot of poor people get a leg up in business.
I believe the nominations are politically motivated some of the times and like everything else some are given for those reasons. I wish the efforts of Prince Charles are recognised someday soon.

I believe the nominations are politically motivated some of the times and like everything else some are given for those reasons. I wish the efforts of Prince Charles are recognised someday soon.

Given the UN are wanting a referendum on the Royal Family I don't think Prince Charles will make the shortlist for a Nobel prize:D.

Last edited:
Prince Charles? ------ no way.

Given the UN are wanting a referendum on the Royal Family I don't think Prince Charles will make the shortlist for a Nobel prize:D.

Let's face it the UN is just another bureaucratic mess governed by gigantic egos and funded by taxpayers. If I had a dollar for every resolution they passed that was never obeyed or respected, I would be sailing on my yacht at the Riviera right now.

What power does the UN have over the Monarchy in the UK?
I know I will get kicked out of this board since the question belongs to another thread.

Let's get this correct. It wasn't the UN, it was the Sri Lankan Permanent Mission to the United Nations in Geneva that suggested Britain should hold a referendum on the desirability of a written and republican constitution.
The Nobel Foundation (a private institution) awards Nobel prizes, not the UN.

Possibly for the work he's been doing promoting dialogue and understanding between different religious groups, primarily Christians and Muslims.

I agree with you He always dialogue with different religious group.

So was the Duke of Edinburgh (not certain if it was for the WWF or the DOEA) either way. I believe that they simple have themselves taken off the list. They do the same with the awards from the United Nations.
I was quiet shocked when the Duke of Edinburgh Awards won the Orbis Vision Award.

Let's get this correct. It wasn't the UN, it was the Sri Lankan Permanent Mission to the United Nations in Geneva that suggested Britain should hold a referendum on the desirability of a written and republican constitution.
The Nobel Foundation (a private institution) awards Nobel prizes, not the UN.
Yes, but large organisations be they private institutions or otherwise are politically sensitive to how their decisions are received. There are of course exceptions, but IMOP I don't think Charles winning a Nobel prize wouldn't be well received internationally.

Given that the UN has nothing to do with the Nobel, I'm not sure that means anything.

I don't honestly believe that Charles is a good candidate for the Peace Prize. Gore was, as he framed global warming--rightly--as a human rights issue. And as we have already seen, global warming has a direct impact on human rights. Namely: food. Largely, recent climate change--apart from normal cycles in the Earth's climate--has been exacerbated by pollution from fossil fuels. Which are now becoming more expensive due to lowering production, which causes food to become more expensive due to higher fertilizer and shipping costs. We've already seen food riots happening in recent months, and it's only likely to get worse. I'm sure everyone here has been noticing the inexorable trend towards foodstuffs costing more.

So. To combat global warming means to combat fossil fuel usage, which means that you are actually fighting to keep food costs down, which contributes to peace. Happy and well-fed people with a decent standard of living are (on balance) less likely to engage in war for e.g. arable land or food. While it is true that Charles has long been a champion of both organic and locavore movements, his reach has largely been confined to the UK. Gore has been acting globally--and again, for those who missed it earlier, he has been passionate about this issue since the 80's. This is not a recent development.

And that's really what it's come down to: Gore's reach is global (and yes, I know he flies everywhere, spewing more carbon into the atmosphere. He views it as a necessary evil, and his fee for speaking includes the cost of purchasing carbon offsets. At least he doesn't use a private jet most of the time; he flies on normal sched flights), while Charles' reach is much much smaller. And the point of the prize is that it is awarded to those (generally) who have global effects, or at the very least large regional effects, not just confined to a single country. Mother Teresa would be a counterexample, of course, but her international presence brought greater understanding towards poverty in India.

Diana, IMHO, would have been somewhat more suited to receiving the Prize, but not by much.

Yes, but large organisations be they private institutions or otherwise are politically sensitive to how their decisions are received. There are of course exceptions, but IMOP I don't think Charles winning a Nobel prize wouldn't be well received internationally.

Doh. Also. The Nobels are not political prizes, and have been awarded to some controversial figures in the past. Mother Teresa (yes, surprisingly, controversial in some circles), and many politicians, have been considered controversial appointments. According to a friend of mine who is actually on one of the Nobel selection committees, they are expressly forbidden from considering political ramifications of their award decisions.

^Yeah, MT was chosen for the peace prize, right? But she refused to accept it, I think?

Mother Teresa was awarded many honours during her lifetime, among them the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 which she accepted. She did decline the traditional laureates banquet.

Doh. Also. The Nobels are not political prizes, and have been awarded to some controversial figures in the past. Mother Teresa (yes, surprisingly, controversial in some circles), and many politicians, have been considered controversial appointments. According to a friend of mine who is actually on one of the Nobel selection committees, they are expressly forbidden from considering political ramifications of their award decisions.

That being true they obviously weren´t required to read Saramago´s books before giving him the Nobel Prize for literature.

Initially, my thought was "No" why would he? But politics always figure into prestigious awards and if a perons befriends or pleases the right people, an award is given.

I wish he would recieve one, but somehow I don't think he will.

I think he has done quite a lot to promote tolerance between the faiths, albeit in a low key way. Commednable as his efforts are, I think he does have plenty more to do in this area to truely make a difference, and consequently be recognised for it.

I think they have already kept one for him. He will get it when he ascends to the throne.

I don't think he deserves one , but I could see him getting one for his enviromental/conservation efforts. After all, didn't they give one to Al Gore for the same thing?

I don't think he deserves one , but I could see him getting one for his enviromental/conservation efforts. After all, didn't they give one to Al Gore for the same thing?

I think he has done more for world peace and understanding over both conservation/climate change and interfaith dialogue than say President Obama, who to my mind has done nothing for world peace but he has one.

When people like Obama, whom I otherwise respect, get one, what is the worth of this price?

I certainly hope that Prince Charles gets the Nobel Prize one day soon, he has given decades of his life helping others, he deserves it, imo.

It is unlikely the PoW will get the Nobel. In recent years, it has been nothing but a popularity contest amongst liberal nominees.

I think he has done more for world peace and understanding over both conservation/climate change and interfaith dialogue than say President Obama, who to my mind has done nothing for world peace but he has one.

Obama got his for what he "might" do in the future. What schlock. Prince Charles is far more deserving than Barack Obama.

Obama got his for what he "might" do in the future. What schlock. Prince Charles is far more deserving than Barack Obama.

I agree. I do think as time goes on and Charles speaks out more and more for global warming and protecting the environment, it is bound to gain more attention and perhaps even spur some actions on a global scale. To me that is definitely worth a Nobel prize.

Has any royalty gotten nobel peace awards? It's possible he might.

Has any royalty gotten nobel peace awards? It's possible he might.

This is an interesting question.

I don't really think that Queen Elizabeth II would even think of accepting a Nobel Peace Prize in her own right as I think she would see herself with being monarch, the embodiment of her realm and her people.

The big question is what about the PoW? He is part of the royal family that, like his mother, represents all of the people of the realm. We all know he's outspoken and passionate about things that are dear to him. As he represents his people, would he even consider accepting such an award in his own right?

We all know he's outspoken and passionate about things that are dear to him. As he represents his people, would he even consider accepting such an award in his own right?

I think he could in good conscious. He probably would donate the money that comes with the Noble Prize.:flowers:

The man is full of good intentions, but no heavyweight in these matters. As to him possibly donating his prize money; well why wouldn't he?

The man is full of good intentions, but no heavyweight in these matters. As to him possibly donating his prize money; well why wouldn't he?

Don't underestimate just how important his support is - he is always going to be there while many of the politicians etc will be voted out or retire e.g. to the meeting last year we sent our PM but he is already out of office but Charles is still there to support the cause.

Royals should not under any circumstances accept such an honour.
They are there to hand out honours, not to accept them.

Royals should not under any circumstances accept such an honour.
They are there to hand out honours, not to accept them.

If the royal has actually done more than a politician you say that the royal shouldn't be recognised for their work?

Strange.

Of course royals get lots of honours for simply being royal but this is one that Charles would have earned because of the work that he has done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom