The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
It is no secret that I support Charles and all his efforts to make us make a difference, but, the man in the street and indeed the governments of the world have listened more to Al Gore on this matter than they ever have Charles. Both men deserve it and I would think Charles would be the first to say that it doesn't matter as long as people take notice of what they are BOTH telling us!
Who wants to bet that Charles, once he is king will invite Al Gore to become a honorary member of the "Of Merit"-order?

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Both could happen Charles could get the Nobel and Gore The Order of Merit, what the OM for anyway

Old 10-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Aristocracy

I certainly hope that Prince Charles gets the Nobel Prize one day soon, he has given decades of his life helping others, he deserves it, imo.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
Both could happen Charles could get the Nobel and Gore The Order of Merit, what the OM for anyway
Google is your friend. So is the Royal Family website.

Royal Insight > Focus > The Order of Merit
Old 10-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

I think if Al Gore were British, he may get/have gotten the OM. However, there seems to be a much higher standard for foreign awards. The 3 that come to mind are Nelson Mandela, Mother Theresa, and General Eisenhower. As good as Gore may be, I don't think he's up to that standard yet. The significant amount of division he causes would also lessen the likelihood that he would get it.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Aristocracy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Possibly for the work he's been doing promoting dialogue and understanding between different religious groups, primarily Christians and Muslims.
Exactyly, Just like Egypt & Isreal received back in 1978 0r 1979 I think I can't remember,

It was Jimmy Carter who brought the two together. & Jimmy Carter got his a few Years ago( which was LONG OVER DUE) for all his work to promote Peace & helping out the Poor in 3rd world countries & building Homes through, HFH. People tend to over look this when it is Mentioned that Jimmy Carter is also a Peace Prize Winner

Great point you made. Anyone who can bring peace to The Muslims & Jews & Christians deserves a big Prize.

Quote:
It is no secret that I support Charles and all his efforts to make us make a difference, but, the man in the street and indeed the governments of the world have listened more to Al Gore on this matter than they ever have Charles. Both men deserve it and I would think Charles would be the first to say that it doesn't matter as long as people take notice of what they are BOTH telling us
OMG We agree . Whats next? The Ice Age, jk
Old 10-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

He should get it with all his work with the Enviorment :)
Old 10-30-2007, 09:12 AM
Commoner

giving him price is unfair. it is his job. other people dont get nobel prise because they do there job good.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
It is no secret that I support Charles and all his efforts to make us make a difference, but, the man in the street and indeed the governments of the world have listened more to Al Gore on this matter than they ever have Charles. Both men deserve it and I would think Charles would be the first to say that it doesn't matter as long as people take notice of what they are BOTH telling us!
I agree with you.

I am a great fan of Prince Charles's interests like environment and homeopathy I was very little when I read that people were joking with him because he used to talk with plants. He was right, plants like to hear people voices. When I leave to work I always turn on the radio, and my plants grow, grow and grow.
He is a tolerant man with a genuine interest about other religions and faiths and to me is a man of large vision who spent his life searching for better ways that could give life-quality to people and to our planet.
I think Prince Charles deserves a Nobel Peace Prize.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
I'm not against him receiving the Nobel Peace Prize but personally, I believe many other people deserve it as well and perhaps more than he does. Prince Charles does brilliant things but to the point of getting a Nobel Prize, I'm not convinced. According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize should be awarded "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses." I can easily give him the fraternity between nation with the work he supports to stop conflicts between religious groups. His efforts for environment truly impress me and I'd give him an award for that however not the Peace Prize. I disagree with how its signification has turned out. Environment is a very important issue, still I hardly see the link with Peace. They'd better create an Environment Prize rather than giving a Nobel Peace one to Al-Gore ... .

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 07-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporty View Post
giving him price is unfair. it is his job. other people dont get nobel prise because they do there job good.
Prince Charles has been doing a terrific job helping through the "Prince's Trust" a lot of young people get educated or through grants start their own business.
The name of that gentleman who received the prize two years ago escapes me, but he helped through micro credit a lot of poor people get a leg up in business.
I believe the nominations are politically motivated some of the times and like everything else some are given for those reasons. I wish the efforts of Prince Charles are recognised someday soon.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
I believe the nominations are politically motivated some of the times and like everything else some are given for those reasons. I wish the efforts of Prince Charles are recognised someday soon.
Given the UN are wanting a referendum on the Royal Family I don't think Prince Charles will make the shortlist for a Nobel prize.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Charles? ------ no way.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Given the UN are wanting a referendum on the Royal Family I don't think Prince Charles will make the shortlist for a Nobel prize.
Let's face it the UN is just another bureaucratic mess governed by gigantic egos and funded by taxpayers. If I had a dollar for every resolution they passed that was never obeyed or respected, I would be sailing on my yacht at the Riviera right now.

What power does the UN have over the Monarchy in the UK?
I know I will get kicked out of this board since the question belongs to another thread.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Let's get this correct. It wasn't the UN, it was the Sri Lankan Permanent Mission to the United Nations in Geneva that suggested Britain should hold a referendum on the desirability of a written and republican constitution.
The Nobel Foundation (a private institution) awards Nobel prizes, not the UN.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Possibly for the work he's been doing promoting dialogue and understanding between different religious groups, primarily Christians and Muslims.
I agree with you He always dialogue with different religious group.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Courtier

So was the Duke of Edinburgh (not certain if it was for the WWF or the DOEA) either way. I believe that they simple have themselves taken off the list. They do the same with the awards from the United Nations.
I was quiet shocked when the Duke of Edinburgh Awards won the Orbis Vision Award.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Let's get this correct. It wasn't the UN, it was the Sri Lankan Permanent Mission to the United Nations in Geneva that suggested Britain should hold a referendum on the desirability of a written and republican constitution.
The Nobel Foundation (a private institution) awards Nobel prizes, not the UN.
Yes, but large organisations be they private institutions or otherwise are politically sensitive to how their decisions are received. There are of course exceptions, but IMOP I don't think Charles winning a Nobel prize wouldn't be well received internationally.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Given that the UN has nothing to do with the Nobel, I'm not sure that means anything.

I don't honestly believe that Charles is a good candidate for the Peace Prize. Gore was, as he framed global warming--rightly--as a human rights issue. And as we have already seen, global warming has a direct impact on human rights. Namely: food. Largely, recent climate change--apart from normal cycles in the Earth's climate--has been exacerbated by pollution from fossil fuels. Which are now becoming more expensive due to lowering production, which causes food to become more expensive due to higher fertilizer and shipping costs. We've already seen food riots happening in recent months, and it's only likely to get worse. I'm sure everyone here has been noticing the inexorable trend towards foodstuffs costing more.

So. To combat global warming means to combat fossil fuel usage, which means that you are actually fighting to keep food costs down, which contributes to peace. Happy and well-fed people with a decent standard of living are (on balance) less likely to engage in war for e.g. arable land or food. While it is true that Charles has long been a champion of both organic and locavore movements, his reach has largely been confined to the UK. Gore has been acting globally--and again, for those who missed it earlier, he has been passionate about this issue since the 80's. This is not a recent development.

And that's really what it's come down to: Gore's reach is global (and yes, I know he flies everywhere, spewing more carbon into the atmosphere. He views it as a necessary evil, and his fee for speaking includes the cost of purchasing carbon offsets. At least he doesn't use a private jet most of the time; he flies on normal sched flights), while Charles' reach is much much smaller. And the point of the prize is that it is awarded to those (generally) who have global effects, or at the very least large regional effects, not just confined to a single country. Mother Teresa would be a counterexample, of course, but her international presence brought greater understanding towards poverty in India.

Diana, IMHO, would have been somewhat more suited to receiving the Prize, but not by much.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Yes, but large organisations be they private institutions or otherwise are politically sensitive to how their decisions are received. There are of course exceptions, but IMOP I don't think Charles winning a Nobel prize wouldn't be well received internationally.
Doh. Also. The Nobels are not political prizes, and have been awarded to some controversial figures in the past. Mother Teresa (yes, surprisingly, controversial in some circles), and many politicians, have been considered controversial appointments. According to a friend of mine who is actually on one of the Nobel selection committees, they are expressly forbidden from considering political ramifications of their award decisions.

Tags
nobel prize, prince charles, prince of wales