The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
If Camilla does become Princess Consort, it sort of depends on how it's done. If they do an end run around the current situation where a monarch (and hence spouse) can't take other titles and announce that HM Queen Camilla will be known by the fictitious title of HRH Princess Consort, then she'll still be Queen even though she isn't called Queen, so the terms of Queen Victoria's will would be complied with. However, if legislation is passed to deprive her of the title of Queen and create her Princess Consort in her own right, or however they'd do it, that would be a different situation. Even then, what if she did show up wearing the Oriental Circlet or the George IV diadem? Apart from the tabloids having a field day, what, practically, could anybody do about it?
I believe this whole debate is really a non-issue. Legally, Camilla became The Princess of Wales upon her marriage to Charles.

English law provides that the wife of a noble attains the same status as her husband upon marriage, unless her status is higher than his or she marries a peer. In that case, the wife is entitled to continue to use her higher rank.

For example, in the case of a Duke's daughter, she would be styled Lady Anne. Were Lady Anne to marry a plain Mr. Smith, then she would become Lady Anne Smith after marriage, as she holds the higher rank. If she were to marry the Earl of Devon, then she would become the Countess of Devon because she married a peer, even if she outranks her husband as the daughter of a duke.

Camilla and the royal family decided to style her the Duchess of Cornwall because they deemed it more acceptable than calling her Princess of Wales, and use the Cornwall title to distance her from the legacy of Diana.

When Charles ascends the throne, Camilla will legally be the Queen Consort. What she chooses to call herself, or what the royal family ultimately decides, will not alter her legal status. If she styles herself as Princess Consort, then she is not relinquishing her rights in any way whatsoever, and I expect that no matter what her style will be, she will be crowned with Charles when the time comes.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Royal Highness

Well said; I completely agree with everything you wrote. And, I do hope to see her crowned with Charles--wearing a crown!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 06-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

The question is one that will have to be considered when Charles becomes King. Unlike the current situation, whereas Camilla enjoys all of her husband's styles and titles but has chosen to use her ducal title as her style, once he is King, she has no choice in her style and title except Queen. The wife of the King is Queen and nothing else.

The Government would have to agree the wife of The King is legally Queen Consort, but can be styled by a lesser title and rank as HRH The Princess Consort without legislation being passed by Parliament.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM Queen Catherine View Post
What she chooses to call herself, or what the royal family ultimately decides, will not alter her legal status. If she styles herself as Princess Consort, then she is not relinquishing her rights in any way whatsoever, and I expect that no matter what her style will be, she will be crowned with Charles when the time comes.
Constitutionally, she is Queen automatically in her own right when Charles assumes the throne. To be known as HRH The Princess Consort requires The Sovereign to issue letters patent creating Camilla as such.

Since being a Royal Highness and Princess in your own right when you are legally Queen has no precedent, Parliament would have to agree and consent to changing the style and title of the succession. It is a lesser rank for the King's wife and creates a morganatic marriage.

I personally do not think this will come to pass nor do I believe Parliament will agree she can be known as Princess Consort without legislation.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Courtier

I agree that the wife of the King can only be Queen; there is really no other option.
However, if the style and title of the Princess Consort is still insisted upon, wouldn't that require legislation not just by the British/Scottish Parliaments, but also by the Parliaments of all the countries of the Realm, that would recognize Charles as their Monarch? If that is the case, I find such outcome highly unlikely.
Of course, Camilla could technically be Princess Consort in Britain (assuming legislation is passed) and Queen Consort in the other Realms, but that's equally improbable.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel77 View Post
However, if the style and title of the Princess Consort is still insisted upon, wouldn't that require legislation not just by the British/Scottish Parliaments, but also by the Parliaments of all the countries of the Realm, what would recognize Charles as their Monarch?
Yes, it would. Probably not a big deal in this day and age, but it adds another layer of complication, especially since it would invite public debate in the Commonwealth and Crown nations about the monarchy.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
With the vast array of goodies that will be at her disposal, will Camilla be distraught at not wearing one or two bits and pieces anyway?
With two tiaras currently in her possession that were worn by Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary, as well as many other significant jewels, I doubt Camilla will be distraught that she doesn't have enough to wear that is worthy of her status.

And whether she is Queen or styled Princess Consort, there are plenty of other jewels from The Sovereign's personal collection at her disposal, not to mention any pieces The Queen gives her or leaves as a bequest.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Serene Highness

You all have some good points here.I'll just add my opinion:I believe Prince Charles is going to be a great King and the Duchess of Cornwall will stand by him & fill all of her duties.We're talking about a highly educated & intelligent royal couple.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
Constitutionally, she is Queen automatically in her own right when Charles assumes the throne. To be known as HRH The Princess Consort requires The Sovereign to issue letters patent creating Camilla as such.

Since being a Royal Highness and Princess in your own right when you are legally Queen has no precedent, Parliament would have to agree and consent to changing the style and title of the succession. It is a lesser rank for the King's wife and creates a morganatic marriage.

I personally do not think this will come to pass nor do I believe Parliament will agree she can be known as Princess Consort without legislation.
Well, there was no precedent for the marriage of a Prince of Wales (or King) to a divorced woman, but the rules were bent to facilitate the marriage of Charles and Camilla. There has, however, been the precedent of a recent HRH whose wife was denied one, at the whim of the sovereign. If Charles was not being disingenuous at the time of the marriage, he certainly has the ability to make her Princess Consort at the stroke of a (King's) pen.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Luckily the CoE and most of the world have moved on and live in the 21st century, where divorcees are treated as human beings.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps 'divorcees are treated as human beings', but The Queen (or King) is supposed to be an example and moral leader. We shall see if the C of E has 'moved on' when Charles' Coronation and the concept of 'Queen Camilla' is no longer an abstract , In My Humble Opinion.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I really do hope that Camilla becomes Princess Consort not Queen. If she did then I think it would be unfair to Philip as he has never had the title King. I know times will have changed but the same principles still apply in my book. But I hope she is recognised as Charles' equal and does not stay the Duchess of Cornwall.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
I really do hope that Camilla becomes Princess Consort not Queen. If she did then I think it would be unfair to Philip as he has never had the title King. I know times will have changed but the same principles still apply in my book. But I hope she is recognised as Charles' equal and does not stay the Duchess of Cornwall.

In Britain there are clear cut differences between men and women and what they gain on marriage regarding titles/styles etc.

A woman takes on the female form of her husband's styles/titles whereas a man doesn't.

To deny Camilla the title of Queen Consort gives her lesser rights than every other woman in Britain, in my opinion.

Philip - being the husband of a Queen Regnant has followed the precedence of other Consorts of Queens Regnant - Albert and George of Denmark and remained a Prince.

Camilla needs to follow the precedence of other wives of Kings and become Queen Consort ala Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, Queen Mary, Queen Alexandra, Queen Adelaide, Queen Caroline etc.

The fact that Philip and Camilla are different genders means that they really can't be compared.

If Camilla isn't to be Queen Consort then, in my opinion NO woman can take the titles/styles of their husband but keep their birth status only - so no Princess of Wales, Queens Consort, Duchesses etc.

To apply one standard to one woman is an insult to that woman.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

To me it's a question of whether you take Charles at his public 'word' the it is intended that Camilla be known as the Princess Consort. If that is truly what the then King Charles intends, then all he has to do is issue letters patent and sign his name, and it's done, and the whole Queen Camilla, xyz fight goes away. Why continue the fight?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Courtier

Personally I would agree to Camilla being known as Princess Consort (perhaps out of respect for the Duke of Edinburgh, although he is not, and has never been a Prince Consort), only on one condition; if all future spouses of the British Monarch were known as Prince/Princess Consort.
That would be fair and truly equal.

However, to deny Camilla the title that is rightfully hers (once Charles becomes King), is really insulting, as Iluvbertie rightfully said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
To me it's a question of whether you take Charles at his public 'word' the it is intended that Camilla be known as the Princess Consort. If that is truly what the then King Charles intends, then all he has to do is issue letters patent and sign his name, and it's done, and the whole Queen Camilla, xyz fight goes away. Why continue the fight?
Scooter, Letters Patent would not be enough to 'solve' this issue; if Camilla is to be granted the title of the Princess Consort in her own right and intends to be known as such, that would require a Parliament legislation, not just from the British/Scottish Parliaments, but also from the Parliaments of all the countries of the Realm, that will recognize Charles as their King (thanks to branchg, who cleared up that point for me).
Old 06-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just My Opinion, but I think it's likely that quite a few major members of the Commonwealth/Realm will not be 'recognizing Charles as their king'. My personal wager is that the death of QEII, will ring the death knell on the Commonwealth. Everyone loves HM. Her heir and his future 'Queen' do not inspire quite so much enthusiasm, if you read the ongoing press of the Realm on the subject. Canada, New Zealand and Australia would be high on the list.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt legislation will be passed when the time comes. They're already married and she shares equal rank with her husband. Why should she be denied the right to be Queen? If she wasn't good enough, then they never should have married in the first place.

Wallis was an entirely different matter. She was already divorced once and, then proceeded with another divorce at The King's behest. Edward knew the Government was adamantly opposed to a marriage and wanted to abdicate. He paid the price for his decision and renounced the rights of any future descendants under the Act of Settlement. Given that point, George VI refused to allow his wife and any children to take the style and rank of HRH, limiting them to the Peerage.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
Just My Opinion, but I think it's likely that quite a few major members of the Commonwealth/Realm will not be 'recognizing Charles as their king'. My personal wager is that the death of QEII, will ring the death knell on the Commonwealth. Everyone loves HM. Her heir and his future 'Queen' do not inspire quite so much enthusiasm, if you read the ongoing press of the Realm on the subject. Canada, New Zealand and Australia would be high on the list.
I believe that the death of Queen Elizabeth (long may she live) will only bring the King and the countries of the Realm closer; the death of one Monarch and the accession of the other were usually times of great national unity across the Empire (and later the Commonwealth). I sincerely doubt the nationalists would choose the moment of Her Majesty's death to push forward their agenda - that would be just tacky.

With the possible exception of Australia, I just don't see any other country, where anti-Monarchist movements are strong enough to affect the course of events, once Charles is King.

Branchg, I agree with you that it is highly unlikely the Parliaments (whether British or the Commonwealth ones) will pass, or are asked to pass a legislation like that. Camilla is the wife of the Prince of Wales; once Charles is King, she shouldn't be denied the title that is rightfully hers.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Heir Apparent

All 10 provinces in Canada have to vote the same way in order to change part of our Constitution. The likelihood of that happening to abolish the monarchy isn't very likely. For one thing, some provinces are more loyal than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Old 06-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Crown Commonwealth nations would automatically recognize the new Sovereign as head of state, the same as the United Kingdom, under the Act of Settlement. Of course, they could choose to deestablish the Crown with legislation and become republics at any time.

The Commonwealth of Nations has to formally appoint a new Sovereign as the head. While in practice this should be routine, it is not automatic nor legally bound to the Crown. The members all have to assent to it.

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales