Will Charles Ever Reign?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably it's because the Windsor women have lived so much longer than the men over the years. Since Charles doesn't smoke, the chances are he'll outlive his male forebears by quite a bit.

True. I mean, Phil is 86, Betty is 81 - odds are he'll make 80 too. I probably won't but when he's 80, I'll be.....well, I'm no good with numbers but my liver may still be holding on to see the coronation. Maybe it'll get an invitation.

So, I'm sitting on the bus and wondering why the man who's just got on has a plastic dog in a wicker basket under his arm and it strikes me.
Blow genes, HM and Charles - Didn't you ask the man why he had a plastic dog under his arm?:rolleyes::D

Being English, I just smiled and said, "You wait for an hour and two come along at once".

Why wouldn't Prince Charles reign when he is next in line to the Throne? Nothing the general public say can alter the Royal lineage.

I have learn if a person wants to somewhat know how long he or she will live to check out your grandparents life span. That is the best indicator of your lifespan.

I think Charles grandfathers died young. I don't know about when Philip's mother died. But we all know the Queen Mum lived a long life. So with those genes and Charles heathly lifestyle - does he exercise? - maybe he will rule for while. But even if he does not he has really been a great Prince of Wales.:flowers:

I hope she won´t become Queen, she doesn´t deserve it, she should have thought better before marring Parker-Bowles.

I hope she won´t become Queen, she doesn´t deserve it, she should have thought better before marring Parker-Bowles.

Rosana, I loved Princess Diana and I mourn her to this day. Being petty can not bring our beloved Diana back. But if Diana's sons can love and accept Camilla I think we can.
Prince Charles has been wonderful in his work as a prince-his personal life not so good, but he is just human. Britian's and the Commonwealth people will have to decide this issue.:flowers::flowers::flowers:

I have learn if a person wants to somewhat know how long he or she will live to check out your grandparents life span. That is the best indicator of your lifespan.

I think Charles grandfathers died young. I don't know about when Philip's mother died. But we all know the Queen Mum lived a long life. So with those genes and Charles heathly lifestyle - does he exercise? - maybe he will rule for while. But even if he does not he has really been a great Prince of Wales.:flowers:

Prince Charles has been a wonderful Prince of Wales and why shouldn't he have some happiness with Camilla if she is the love of his life. {personal comment deleted - Elspeth}

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Charles has been a wonderful Prince of Wales and why shouldn't he have some happiness with Camilla if she is the love of his life.

I agree with this.

{edited for consistency - Elspeth}

Rosana, I loved Princess Diana and I mourn her to this day. Being petty can not bring our beloved Diana back. But if Diana's sons can love and accept Camilla I think we can.
Prince Charles has been wonderful in his work as a prince-his personal life not so good, but he is just human. Britian's and the Commonwealth people will have to decide this issue.:flowers::flowers::flowers:

I can't accept that she would be Queen and I don't even live in England. :lol:

:ermm:...

I have found it humorous that so many of the Diana-ites say they will never tolerate Camilla being Queen Consort and then proceed to raise a ruckous about everything HRH The Duchess does or does not do. It can be tiring keeping up with the pettiness (I think I spelled that wrong)--
Here are the facts and they are indisputable: Charles will ascend the throne. Just like his grandmother (QEQM), Great-Grandmother (Queen Mary) and his Great-great Grandmother (Queen Alexandra), Camilla will be entitled to be the Queen Consort, aka Queen Camilla. I personally fail to see the problem; Diana and Charles willingly divorced so she would never have held the title anyway; so to be up in arms and upset about this is a waste of emotion. History and tradition take precedence in this situation, not opinions.

I have found it humorous that so many of the Diana-ites say they will never tolerate Camilla being Queen Consort and then proceed to raise a ruckous about everything HRH The Duchess does or does not do. It can be tiring keeping up with the pettiness (I think I spelled that wrong)--
Here are the facts and they are indisputable: Charles will ascend the throne. Just like his grandmother (QEQM), Great-Grandmother (Queen Mary) and his Great-great Grandmother (Queen Alexandra), Camilla will be entitled to be the Queen Consort, aka Queen Camilla. I personally fail to see the problem; Diana and Charles willingly divorced so she would never have held the title anyway; so to be up in arms and upset about this is a waste of emotion. History and tradition take precedence in this situation, not opinions.

You are correct, both technically and ethically.
I shall quickly discuss my interpretation of the ethical aspects. It is true that Diana, an innocent, full of dreams young girl, married someone older, fell in love with him but he did not reciprocate. Unfortunately, people see only this aspect of the story/saga.
People fail to recognize that Charles was caught by, and eventually gave in to, the advice of "traditionalist" palace functionaries who argued that even in the 1980s, the heir to the Throne should marry someone "pure and innocent" etc etc. He made a big mistake, but, in essence, he went along with the what-is-best-for-the-monarchy advice. He placed duty ahead of feelings, thus becoming also a victim himself.
The then Camilla Parker-Bowles should be the last party to be blamed. Their relationship existed well before he met Diana. Even if she stopped seeing or otherwise communicating with him, his feelings toward her were so deeply rooted that his marriage to Diana would have been miserable regardless. He harbored stronger feelings for an older and less attractive lady, even though his wife was the dream woman for millions a man around the world. So, definitely, lechery and sex was not his motivation. He was(is) not a lecherous man.
To conclude, Diana was the (main) victim, the party that without (initial at least) wrongdoing sustained a devastating loss. She lost her innocence at a very young age, she was traumatized irreversibly.
However, it was not Camilla (who was) the party responsible for Diana's devastation. In a technical sense, it was Charles's fault, but he didn't act out of selfisness either - quite on the contrary. He destroyed his married life because at some critical point in his life, he exercised bad, very bad judgement - but even this bad judgement aimed at serving the best interests of the monarchy.
Thus, it is extremely unfair to use (and abuse) Camilla as the sacrificial lamb.

Last edited:

Charles has never smoked, unlike his grandpapa's, I think he exercises, rides on a regular basis, walks when out stalking and is an active gardener.

It is a little difficult to base longevity on how long parents/grandparents lived due to the improved diet and advances in medical care available nowadays. :flowers:

she was traumatized irreversibly.
quote shortened Diana was already traumatised by not only her parents acrimonious split but the fight that went on between her mother, father and grandmother over custody. :flowers:

Last edited:
It is a little difficult to base longevity on how long parents/grandparents lived due to the improved diet and advances in medical care available nowadays.
:flowers:

That is true Skydragon. Again I did not think of all the advances in medical care. But you still have to have good genes too.:flowers::flowers::flowers:

I've just removed a bunch of personal comments and other off-topic stuff, some of which was carrying on after ysbel posted a warning about it. Please keep the thread on topic from now on and resist the temptation to indulge in personal attacks. If someone feels s/he is being attacked, don't respond, just contact one of the moderators.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

Last edited:
{deleted and responded to by PM - Elspeth}

Prince Charles will reign and will do a good job when the time comes.

I've just removed the questions about Charles' titles to the Questions about Titles thread. If you want to discuss Charles' titles or the correct way to address him or any other royal, that is the thread to post to.

As Elspeth said, we don't have a standard for how they are addressed in this forum as long as its not insulting or derogatory.

This thread is for discussing whether Charles will ascend the throne.

ysbel
British forum moderator

well this is deja vu... think about how old king edward was when queen victoria died

He reigned 10 years. What is your point? Of course, Charles wil reign, if he is alive and well. No reason he shouldn't.

It´s possible that Charles will be King of England. However, is not sure.

I think Charles should reign. He is more than ready and it will give young William a chance to shadow his father (even though its not totally necessary since he has been doing this with his grandmother already)

But it will allow Charles to take the position he's had to wait so long for and also give William a chance to have somewhat of a young life without this great responsibility falling on him so early.

In 10 years or so, a more mature and ready William will be much better suited to take over at that point, even 20 years later.

This seems like a win-win for everyone JMO

I think Charles will reign plus it will give more time for William to prepare himself as the next king. :cool:

I think Charles will reign,but his reign was always expected to be a short one.I remember at the time of the marriage of Charles and Diana, that expectations were that Charles would be in his late sixites or seventies,perhaps,because his mother had good longevity prospects. Charles was expected to pave the way for his son, William,perhaps starting some changes that his sone wold continue.

He reigned 10 years. What is your point? Of course, Charles wil reign, if he is alive and well. No reason he shouldn't.

I think the point was that during his long stint as Prince of Wales under the reign of Queen Victoria, Edward VII was seen as lightweight and not worthy of the throne but once he became King, his reputation made a marvelous recovery.

There's no guarantee that will happen to Charles though.

I believe HM Queen Elizabeth when she gathered the leadership of the Church of England back a few years ago made it abundantly clear that HRH Prince Charles will most certainly reign when she passes, if he outlives her.

I think the love story or Camilla and Charles is the greatest love story of the previous century. I think we should each WISH that someone would PERMANENTLY love us in that way, no matter what.

It is just pure silliness to think that ALL this work has been done over the past 12 years or so to make Camilla acceptable to the public at large for nothing? She MARRIED Charles, she is a ROYAL, she is TITLED with HRH, hello? When he becomes King, what else would she be? IF there was any real doubt as to whether or not that would be the case, do you really think both the British government and the Church of England would have agreed to the wedding?

What has changed, really? To be blunt, it is NO LONGER REQUIRED that a future Queen be a virgin or never married to anyone other than the King. That's all.

Who can stop Charles from reigning? Getting down to the legalities involved here? It is my understanding that he has an ABSOLUTE RIGHT to take the throne? Have I misunderstood something here? This is still a Monarchy, correct, not a democracy?

What options do the British public have and their elected representatives, short of abolishing the Monarchy? Does anyone seriously think that is going to happen in the foreseeable future?

If Charles wished and really didn't care about his place in history, what would be to stop him from simply chucking all but the VERY FEW required duties he has and those are precious few, sitting around being waited on hand and foot and spending a ton of money for the rest of his life? Who would there be to stop him from doing that, both as the Prince of Wales and the King?

I know it may make people feel "empowered" to talk otherwise, but there really is no real choices here, is there?

What did Diana say "I want to be the Queen of People's hearts" YES, but then again she was just about to be divorced and sat right outside the Constitutional Monarchy, wasn't she? She didn't have any choice in the matter, including her HRH as I recall?

The FIRM is well established, very powerful, very wealthy and like it or not, the British public ARE AND CONTINUE TO BE VERY DEFERENTIAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom