The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

He's history, but some of the things he did have survived his tenure.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
As regards to whether the Diana Claque will or wont successfully 'rise up' about Queen Camilla, and whether or not they are powerful enough, to quote Dominick Dunne 'the aristos hate her and the commoners love her'.
I wonder why you would think an American writer could have any idea what aristo's or commoners in the UK feel about Camilla? Diana was disliked by some aristocrats, who felt she let the side down and loved by some commoners who were led to believe she was just like them.

Camilla is liked by the aristocrats, IMO, and disliked, at the moment by some commoners. Although we can see from her reception throughout the UK, the UK public is warming to her by the day and a large percentage of Highlanders love her, IMO.

I don't see the Diana circle with it's shrinking UK membership (it was reportedly 1000 at the time of C & C's wedding), rising up in anyway. Don't forget, these were the people who were going to mount massive demonstrations outside the registry office, when in fact the 5 or so that did turn up were 'pushed out' by the well wishers and barely got a mention in the media, (as far as I can recall).

Old 10-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
He's history, but some of the things he did have survived his tenure.
I could not imagine Tony Blair as a person, who severely discredited the British Royal Family. Why didn't he fully capitalize on emotions of the crowds after Princess' death and start the process of abolishment?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I could not imagine Tony Blair as a person, who severely discredited the British Royal Family. Why didn't he fully capitalize on emotions of the crowds after Princess' death and start the process of abolishment?
Because like all Prime Ministers, he came to understand how the constitutional monarchy benefits a sitting Prime Minister by allowing him/her to exercise the royal perogative.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Majesty

to Skydragon

I agree with you stating that aristocrats did not like Princess Diana much because she betrayed their traditions and broke protocols.
Aristocrats like and accept Duchess of Cornwall because Prince Charles fully supports her. Although I do not mean to offend anybody's feelings or sensitive nature, but namely royal mistresses and lovers were used by nobility to get favours from rulers.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Adultery has alwasy been more common and accepted in aristocratic and royal circles where marriages were made to protect the bloodlines than it has been in middle class circles. Even Diana remained close friends with people she knew were committing adultery and she approved of it.

I seriously doubt though that Andrew Parker-Bowles was trying to get a favour from Prince Charles by sharing his wife.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I agree with you stating that aristocrats did not like Princess Diana much because she betrayed their traditions and broke protocols.
Aristocrats like and accept Duchess of Cornwall because Prince Charles fully supports her. Although I do not mean to offend anybody's feelngs or sensitive nature, but namely royal mistresses and lovers were used by nobility to get favours from rulers.
Diana wanted her cake and to eat it too, that is the heart of the matter.

Diana wanted to walk on the plush Royal carpeting that was reserved for Royalty in the palaces, she wanted the deference and respect that came from "HRH" and the men bowing and the women doing their curtsey to her, she wanted the money and fame. What she was unwilling to do was PAY THE PRICE for all of that. Diana took on a job when she married into the Royal Family, she was simply unwilling to do the work.

Diana LIED in order to get Prince Charles to marry her. She pretended that she LOVED the things that he did (hunting, fishing, horseback riding) when in truth she detested them and stopped engaging in those activities as soon as she was married to him.

Diana was damaged goods before she married Prince Charles, she was emotionally impaired from a horrible childhood, a cold father and a domineering maternal grandmother.

Diana was unwilling to accept that Prince Charles had and has a multitude of responsibilities and was not able to devote himself entirely to her and her emotional needs.

Camilla is the exact opposite and that is why she is such a better match for Prince Charles, imo.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Adultery has alwasy been more common and accepted in aristocratic and royal circles where marriages were made to protect the bloodlines than it has been in middle class circles. Even Diana remained close friends with people she knew were committing adultery and she approved of it.

I seriously doubt though that Andrew Parker-Bowles was trying to get a favour from Prince Charles by sharing his wife.
Actually I have not meant Andrew Parker Bowles. At any case, his children will benefit from the marriage of their mother.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondBrg View Post
Diana wanted her cake and to eat it too, that is the heart of the matter...
.....Diana LIED in order to get Prince Charles to marry her. She pretended that she LOVED the things that he did (hunting, fishing, horseback riding) when in truth she detested them and stopped engaging in those activities as soon as she was married to him.
I agree, Diana struck me as being in love with the Prince of Wales and not Charles. I believe that Charles was pushed into marrying Diana by the media, her family and his sense of honour.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
At any case, his children will benefit from the marriage of their mother.
In what way? Charles as godfather is reputed to have set up trust funds for them, but I can't see how else they might benefit.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Diana wanted her cake and to eat it too, that is the heart of the matter.

Diana wanted to walk on the plush Royal carpeting that was reserved for Royalty in the palaces, she wanted the deference and respect that came from "HRH" and the men bowing and the women doing their curtsey to her, she wanted the money and fame. What she was unwilling to do was PAY THE PRICE for all of that. Diana took on a job when she married into the Royal Family, she was simply unwilling to do the work.

Diana LIED in order to get Prince Charles to marry her. She pretended that she LOVED the things that he did (hunting, fishing, horseback riding) when in truth she detested them and stopped engaging in those activities as soon as she was married to him.

Diana was damaged goods before she married Prince Charles, she was emotionally impaired from a horrible childhood, a cold father and a domineering maternal grandmother.

Diana was unwilling to accept that Prince Charles had and has a multitude of responsibilities and was not able to devote himself entirely to her and her emotional needs.

Camilla is the exact opposite and that is why she is such a better match for Prince Charles, imo.
I would say that Prince Charles and Princess Diana underestimated each other and suffered because of it later. Although Princess Diana might have lied about her interests, Prince Charles was old enough to fairly judge her character and choose another appropriate lady to secure the bloodline. Princess Diana might not be viewed as a witch, who nagged the life out of innocent and poor Prince Charles. Each party "slept on the bed they made".
Old 10-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
In what way? Charles as godfather is reputed to have set up trust funds for them, but I can't see how else they might benefit.
I thought "the trust fund " theme is over, after pro-organic godson clarified the situation. They will benefit in a way other humans capitalize on their connections, although the individuals in question may genuinely believe that these connections have nothing to do with their success.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I seriously don't think Camilla started an affair with Charles just so her children could capitalize on their Royal connections.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I would say that Prince Charles and Princess Diana underestimated each other and suffered because of it later. Although Princess Diana might have lied about her interests, Prince Charles was old enough to fairly judge her character and choose another appropriate lady to secure the bloodline. Princess Diana was not a total witch, who nagged the life out of innocent and poor Prince Charles. Each party "slept on the bed they made".
Yes they did and they both mutually decided to end the marriage. Diana came out of it smelling like a rose with her 17 MILLION Pounds Sterling and a residence at Kensington Palace.

It was Diana's choice to live fast and loose afterwards and to make very stupid choices, Dodi Fayed comes to mind. It was Diana who chose to get into that car that fateful August night in Paris, no one forced her to live like a rock star. IF she had of remembered that she was the mother of a future King and still have two young sons to raise and behaved herself, she might well have still been alive today.

I see no reason why Prince Charles should be expected to live a miserable and lonely life because of an ex-wife's total stupidity.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
I seriously don't think Camilla started an affair with Charles just so her children could capitalize on their Royal connections.
I agree with your views, but the royal connections will never hurt ...
Old 10-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Yes they did and they both mutually decided to end the marriage. Diana came out of it smelling like a rose with her 17 MILLION Pounds Sterling and a residence at Kensington Palace.

It was Diana's choice to live fast and loose afterwards and to make very stupid choices, Dodi Fayed comes to mind. It was Diana who chose to get into that car that fateful August night in Paris, no one forced her to live like a rock star. IF she had of remembered that she was the mother of a future King and still have two young sons to raise and behaved herself, she might well have still been alive today.

I see no reason why Prince Charles should be expected to live a miserable and lonely life because of an ex-wife's total stupidity.
I agree with the said. Prince Charles has never lived "a miserable and lonely life", he just suffered consequences of his poor judgement.
You are too categorical and agressive in regard to Princess Diana. I believe that she has already paid the ultimate price.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I agree with your views, but the royal connections will never hurt ...
In the early 90s when the affair of Charles and Camillan was made public and filled the headlines of the tabloids every day, i think Camilla´s children Laura and Tom had a hard time.
So if now their ´royal connection´bring sometimes an advantages for their lifes we should be glad for them.
Laura and Tom are both very private and low-key, they support their mother and they are very loyal to their stepfather without the wish to sparkle in the ´royal limelight´.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I agree with the said. Prince Charles has never lived "a miserable and lonely life", he just suffered consequences of his poor judgement.
You are too categorical and agressive in regard to Princess Diana. I believe that she has already paid the ultimate price.
Yes she did, through her own choosing. Life is for the living and Prince Charles is still alive and hopefully with many years ahead of him and is entitled to live his with happiness.

Diana will be remembered for the enormous good she did and all that she accomplished in her public service and that is as it should be. I feel very sorry for Diana and the life she led, but as an adult she was responsible for the choices she made and many of them were very bad. Believe ir or not, I personally liked and admired Diana in many ways, how she conducted herself prior to and during her life as a Royal is simply not one of them.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
In the early 90s when the affair of Charles and Camillan was made public and filled the headlines of the tabloids every day, i think Camilla´s children Laura and Tom had a hard time.
So if now their ´royal connection´bring sometimes an advantages for their lifes we should be glad for them.
Laura and Tom are both very private and low-key, they support their mother and they are very loyal to their stepfather without the wish to sparkle in the ´royal limelight´.
I am glad for them. Hopefully they will not disappoint their parents.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I wonder why you would think an American writer could have any idea what aristo's or commoners in the UK feel about Camilla? Diana was disliked by some aristocrats, who felt she let the side down and loved by some commoners who were led to believe she was just like them.

Camilla is liked by the aristocrats, IMO, and disliked, at the moment by some commoners. Although we can see from her reception throughout the UK, the UK public is warming to her by the day and a large percentage of Highlanders love her, IMO.
The Dominick Dunne quote was from after he met her a few weeks before her death. As far as 'public opinion' in GB, there was a BBC poll at the time of Charles and Camilla's engagement (just type the names, wedding and constitution) that was overwhelmingly of the opinion that if C and C married, he should step down from the succession, which is what I based my post on. In regards to public opinion about Camilla, very recently she chose (had her hand forced?) to cancel going to the memorial because of the groundswell against it, no? I seem to remember Beatrixfan posting something about egg throwing? The spindoctoring from Clarence House is not as good as when Bolland was doing it. Whomever advised THR that it would be a good idea for Camilla to go did not do them any favors. I think it set back her public profile and reminded people of the whole c/d/c mess.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales