The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Royal Highness

Aha--the light bulb has turned on. I had, erronously, but naturally, assumed that a Prince of Wales would be involved in Wales--and apparently, that is not the case at all. I would have thought that the Prince of Wales would have a strong presence in Wales, rather than just the holder of the title.And, I find that troubling--especially the bit about University and never learning Welsh--that is a bit of a slap in face.
Have all the Princes of Wales been as lackadasical as Charles? As many of you know, I adore Charles, but I am very disappointed in him right now. Perhaps Camilla was quite wise to take the Duchess of Cornwall title over that of Princess of Wales!
Perhaps rather than do away with the title, the Welsh could demand that stipulations be attached to the title. The PoW has no real duties--he's just the heir apparent and sort of creates his own responsibilities--Charles, for example undertakes royal duties in support of HM, does the charity thing, etc...Perhaps if it could be decreed, made law, etc....that the holder of the Prince of Wales title must take on and fulfill certain duties in Wales each year and promote the Welsh in a positive manner, then it would become a win-win situation that would be beneficial to all. Frankly, I am very surprised that such an agreement is not already in place. The Queen can't be Queen without fulfilling her roles and duties--the Prince of Wales should have duties as well. Charles obviously has a strong Scottish connection (he grandmother was Scottish, after all), he should be equally connected to all the countries--England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. It seems ridiculous that he is not. I always assumed that he had official duties to each country. It appears that I was very wrong.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Aristocracy

Now I am slightly confused. Charles speaks Welsh, he learned it that summer at that University in Wales before they did that ceremony that Lord Snowden stage managed that proclaimed him POW. He still does speak it. He did on the last tour.

The only thing I said was his sons don't speak it.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Royal Highness

I misread that--but I did just do a little research and discovered that Charles studied Welsh and Welsh history when he was at The University of Wales. His intention was to learn the Welsh language, and was the first English born Prince of Wales to ever attempt to do so. I, personally, think that was both impressive and appropriate.
Perhaps William speaks some Welsh--I would imagine his father has taught him a little. Since Charles felt it was important to learn Welsh (and still speaks it) then I am certain that he feels that it is equally important that his son, the future Prince of Wales, learn it also.
So, Charles has made some overtures that his predecessors have not. Perhaps William will do so as well.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

He learned enough Welsh to get by in a scripted speech; whether he learned enough to get by in a conversation is another matter entirely. Mind you, it's a fiendish language for an English speaker to learn, especially as an adult, but it did seem as though his one term at Aberystwyth was basically window dressing. It was a time when Welsh nationalism was rather strident (not helped by the forced relocation a couple of years earlier of a village full of people in central Wales so the whole valley could be flooded to provide water for an English town), and I think it highly likely that the Queen might have been advised that if Prince Charles was going to be paraded at Caernarvon in an investiture as Prince of Wales, it might be a very good idea if he spent a couple of months at a university there, learning a couple of things about the country and the language and making it appear that he actually gave a damn about the place. Since he's made very little attempt since then to put down any roots in Wales or emphasise his connection with it in any way (unlike the way he's nurtured his Duchy of Cornwall connections and unlike the way he runs up to Scotland every chance he gets), I think it's fairly safe to assume that the term at Aberystwyth university was just a necessary evil as far as he was concerned, and that he was being used as a pawn by politicians anxious not to have the investiture turn into a major anti-English demonstration.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:47 AM
Commoner

I find it very interesting that various memebers of this site can have such strident opinions on a person that they most likely do not know personally, nor have a reasoned view of the 'type' of life that people like Pce Charles lead.Just imagine for a minute never being able to decide on a career move, a friendship or an outing without having to consider the wider ramifications. No wonder the D.of Edinburgh called it' this bloody royalty jiggery pokery!' poor them!
Old 09-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Thora View Post
I find it very interesting that various memebers of this site can have such strident opinions on a person that they most likely do not know personally, nor have a reasoned view of the 'type' of life that people like Pce Charles lead.Just imagine for a minute never being able to decide on a career move, a friendship or an outing without having to consider the wider ramifications. No wonder the D.of Edinburgh called it' this bloody royalty jiggery pokery!' poor them!
All you said mean no reason not to discuss about the future King of Britain.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hardly to be pitied. They never have to earn any money, they are given houses and servants, yes, they always have the public scrutiny, but that's their job. There is nothing to feel sorry for. They could give it up and take a job in a bank. It would be a whole harder life. All people have to think of the ramifications of their actions. They just may not make the newspaper. Prince Philip should be the last to complain, he has lived very comfortably, with a woman who loves him and basically does what he wants. When he married into this "terrible" life he didn't have two nickels to rub together. Charles is somewhat the product of Philip's idea of upbringing. He hated the schools his father chose and never was his favorite received very little affection from him, Charles' words not mine. Charles will be king, because he is the heir, all else is silly.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:46 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

If Charles abdicates at any stage, what will his and Camilla's titles be? They would cease being Duke & Duchess of Cornwall, as that title is reserved for the eldest son of the monarch, correct?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:53 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
If Charles abdicates at any stage, what will his and Camilla's titles be? They would cease being Duke & Duchess of Cornwall, as that title is reserved for the eldest son of the monarch, correct?
They'd find a title for him somewhere. Probably not Duke of Windsor, that has too much baggage attached. He'd be Duke of N and she'd be the Duchess of N.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:01 AM
Royal Highness

I would be in favor in Duke & Duchess of Windsor for Charles & Camilla. It certainly would be fitting considering the similar circumstances.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:03 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
I would be in favor in Duke & Duchess of Windsor for Charles & Camilla. It certainly would be fitting considering the similar circumstances.
Except for the fact that Charles married before his accession with the full approval of the Queen, Church, and government and has met no legal opposition and would see no reason to abdicate due to Camilla. Yes, very similar.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Except for the fact that Charles married before his accession with the full approval of the Queen, Church, and government and has met no legal opposition and would see no reason to abdicate due to Camilla. Yes, very similar.
I have to disagree. They did NOT have the approval of the church. They were NOT allowed to marry in the church. They had a civil service (I believe the 1st British royal ever to do so) and a service of dedication in the church. I think the jury is still out regarding the coronation and the Church of England. We shall see.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:56 AM

of course, he will. why he shouldn't reign? he only won't reign when he dies before his mother
Old 10-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Royal Highness

Why in the world are we even discussing the topic of abdication? Does anyone really believe that after Edward VIII;s abdication that any member of the Royal Family would ever consider that? Charles is not going to abdicate--he has important ideas and beliefs and he will be a true asset to Great Britain when he ascends to the crown and thusly, the role he was born to fulfill. He and Camilla will be the King and Queen Consort, not the next Duke and Duchess of Windsor. To even entertain such discussion is rather silly.
Why the discussion about Charles becoming King? Why is it such an issue for some? Is it really because of Camilla? That is illogical and unreasonable. Charles is distinguished, has done his job as PoW, married a lovely girl and produced two heirs, dealt with harsh criticism in the media (who really don't count as far as I'm concerned--I can't stand yellow type journalism), and married the love of his life, who is a stepmother to his children and he to hers. Honestly--in many ways, they mirror the lives of the citizens they represent. Why the uproar? I just don't see any real reason for Charles to not ascend.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Why in the world are we even discussing the topic of abdication? Does anyone really believe that after Edward VIII;s abdication that any member of the Royal Family would ever consider that? Charles is not going to abdicate--he has important ideas and beliefs and he will be a true asset to Great Britain when he ascends to the crown and thusly, the role he was born to fulfill. He and Camilla will be the King and Queen Consort, not the next Duke and Duchess of Windsor. To even entertain such discussion is rather silly.
Why the discussion about Charles becoming King? Why is it such an issue for some? Is it really because of Camilla? That is illogical and unreasonable. Charles is distinguished, has done his job as PoW, married a lovely girl and produced two heirs, dealt with harsh criticism in the media (who really don't count as far as I'm concerned--I can't stand yellow type journalism), and married the love of his life, who is a stepmother to his children and he to hers. Honestly--in many ways, they mirror the lives of the citizens they represent. Why the uproar? I just don't see any real reason for Charles to not ascend.
I truly enjoy reading your witty and apt posts. However, I do not understand your outburst in regard to possibility that Prince Charles might abdicate. Not all members would like to see him as a King. Although I do agree that Prince Charles is to become the next King, the course of life may surprise us.
I would say that Prince Charles used a lovely girl and produced heirs, as well as dealt with harsh criticism in the media because he was unable to keep his family life private and orderly. Right you are stating that personal life of Prince of Wales “… mirror[s] the lives of the citizens [he] represent[s]” (jcbcode99, 2007). However, it is detrimental to the royals and nobility to mirror the lives of their subjects too much.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I truly enjoy reading your witty and apt posts. However, I do not understand your outburst in regard to possibility that Prince Charles might abdicate. Not all members would like to see him as a King. Although I do agree that Prince Charles is to become the next King, the course of life may surprise us.
I would say that Prince Charles used a lovely girl and produced heirs, as well as dealt with harsh criticism in the media because he was unable to keep his family life private and orderly. Right you are stating that personal life of Prince of Wales “… mirror[s] the lives of the citizens [he] represent[s]” (jcbcode99, 2007). However, it is detrimental to the royals and nobility to mirror the lives of their subjects too much.
The British monarchy is built of succession. Charles is the heir to the throne and he will be the next King. Why should he abdicate? He had learned his whole life to fulfil this ´role´ one day. Nobody else could do this better than he can do in the near future. Everyone who follwed his life and his ´job´ as Prince of Wales know that.
The critizism of his private life is your opinion, my is that his life is a very human one, with good and bad times, with many great things and some mistakes too.
But it is not really important wheater some poeple here wants to see see him as a King or not: He is the future King and he will reign!
Old 10-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
The British monarchy is built of succession. Charles is the heir to the throne and he will be the next King. Why should he abdicate? He had learned his whole life to fulfil this ´role´ one day. Nobody else could do this better than he can do in the near future. Everyone who follwed his life and his ´job´ as Prince of Wales know that.
The critizism of his private life is your opinion, my is that his life is a very human one, with good and bad times, with many great things and some mistakes too.
But it is not really important wheater some poeple here wants to see see him as a King or not: He is the future King and he will reign!
Dear milla Ca,
I did state that Prince Charles, whether you love or hate him, is to become the next King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. However, I am glad that his learning to fulfil this role still continues.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Courtier

He couldn't "abdicate" until he became king. Has any one ever heard of abdicating the throne before having the throne? It's impossible. I suspect people sometimes use the word abdicate when a different word is actually meant.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Aristocracy

I don´t want to be pessimistic, but Charles has a lot of problems. Iam not sure, but I think is more less popular than his sons.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4 View Post
He couldn't "abdicate" until he became king. Has any one ever heard of abdicating the throne before having the throne? It's impossible. I suspect people sometimes use the word abdicate when a different word is actually meant.
He took the calculated bet that he would be able to marry Camilla in the face of the constitutional/coronation issues. Maybe he will be allowed to ascend and maybe he wont. It mostly rests IMO, on who is the Archbishop of Canterbury at the time. By no means do I assume that it will be the present one. Whomever is the A of C will be in the position of saying yea or nay to the coronation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that it must be the A of C as the highest churchman in the land to perform the actual coronation ceremony. Charles must also, as part of the oath, vow to uphold the established Church of England...the same one that would not marry Charles and Camilla. The EXACT same situation caused Uncle 'David' to relinquish the throne to marry Wallis. Can someone explain to me how it's different? In some ways it's a more toublesome situation as the extramarital affair between Camilla and Charles was the cause (at least partly) of the demise of both the Parker-Bowles and also the Wales marriages.

I dont begrudge happiness to any of the parties, but I am very concerned about the constitutional issues, and from what I have read, so is QEII.

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales