The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
Prince Charles has been a wonderful Prince of Wales and why shouldn't he have some happiness with Camilla if she is the love of his life.
I agree with this.

{edited for consistency - Elspeth}

Old 12-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Rosana, I loved Princess Diana and I mourn her to this day. Being petty can not bring our beloved Diana back. But if Diana's sons can love and accept Camilla I think we can.
Prince Charles has been wonderful in his work as a prince-his personal life not so good, but he is just human. Britian's and the Commonwealth people will have to decide this issue.
I can't accept that she would be Queen and I don't even live in England.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
I can't accept that she would be Queen and I don't even live in England.

Why zembla can you explain your feelings about the situation?
Old 12-16-2007, 03:17 AM
Royal Highness

I have found it humorous that so many of the Diana-ites say they will never tolerate Camilla being Queen Consort and then proceed to raise a ruckous about everything HRH The Duchess does or does not do. It can be tiring keeping up with the pettiness (I think I spelled that wrong)--
Here are the facts and they are indisputable: Charles will ascend the throne. Just like his grandmother (QEQM), Great-Grandmother (Queen Mary) and his Great-great Grandmother (Queen Alexandra), Camilla will be entitled to be the Queen Consort, aka Queen Camilla. I personally fail to see the problem; Diana and Charles willingly divorced so she would never have held the title anyway; so to be up in arms and upset about this is a waste of emotion. History and tradition take precedence in this situation, not opinions.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-16-2007, 06:42 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I have found it humorous that so many of the Diana-ites say they will never tolerate Camilla being Queen Consort and then proceed to raise a ruckous about everything HRH The Duchess does or does not do. It can be tiring keeping up with the pettiness (I think I spelled that wrong)--
Here are the facts and they are indisputable: Charles will ascend the throne. Just like his grandmother (QEQM), Great-Grandmother (Queen Mary) and his Great-great Grandmother (Queen Alexandra), Camilla will be entitled to be the Queen Consort, aka Queen Camilla. I personally fail to see the problem; Diana and Charles willingly divorced so she would never have held the title anyway; so to be up in arms and upset about this is a waste of emotion. History and tradition take precedence in this situation, not opinions.
You are correct, both technically and ethically.
I shall quickly discuss my interpretation of the ethical aspects. It is true that Diana, an innocent, full of dreams young girl, married someone older, fell in love with him but he did not reciprocate. Unfortunately, people see only this aspect of the story/saga.
People fail to recognize that Charles was caught by, and eventually gave in to, the advice of "traditionalist" palace functionaries who argued that even in the 1980s, the heir to the Throne should marry someone "pure and innocent" etc etc. He made a big mistake, but, in essence, he went along with the what-is-best-for-the-monarchy advice. He placed duty ahead of feelings, thus becoming also a victim himself.
The then Camilla Parker-Bowles should be the last party to be blamed. Their relationship existed well before he met Diana. Even if she stopped seeing or otherwise communicating with him, his feelings toward her were so deeply rooted that his marriage to Diana would have been miserable regardless. He harbored stronger feelings for an older and less attractive lady, even though his wife was the dream woman for millions a man around the world. So, definitely, lechery and sex was not his motivation. He was(is) not a lecherous man.
To conclude, Diana was the (main) victim, the party that without (initial at least) wrongdoing sustained a devastating loss. She lost her innocence at a very young age, she was traumatized irreversibly.
However, it was not Camilla (who was) the party responsible for Diana's devastation. In a technical sense, it was Charles's fault, but he didn't act out of selfisness either - quite on the contrary. He destroyed his married life because at some critical point in his life, he exercised bad, very bad judgement - but even this bad judgement aimed at serving the best interests of the monarchy.
Thus, it is extremely unfair to use (and abuse) Camilla as the sacrificial lamb.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I have learn if a person wants to somewhat know how long he or she will live to check out your grandparents life span. That is the best indicator of your lifespan.

I think Charles grandfathers died young. I don't know about when Philip's mother died. But we all know the Queen Mum lived a long life. So with those genes and Charles heathly lifestyle - does he exercise? - maybe he will rule for while. But even if he does not he has really been a great Prince of Wales.
Charles has never smoked, unlike his grandpapa's, I think he exercises, rides on a regular basis, walks when out stalking and is an active gardener.

It is a little difficult to base longevity on how long parents/grandparents lived due to the improved diet and advances in medical care available nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe Egalite' View Post
she was traumatized irreversibly.
quote shortened Diana was already traumatised by not only her parents acrimonious split but the fight that went on between her mother, father and grandmother over custody.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
It is a little difficult to base longevity on how long parents/grandparents lived due to the improved diet and advances in medical care available nowadays.

That is true Skydragon. Again I did not think of all the advances in medical care. But you still have to have good genes too.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've just removed a bunch of personal comments and other off-topic stuff, some of which was carrying on after ysbel posted a warning about it. Please keep the thread on topic from now on and resist the temptation to indulge in personal attacks. If someone feels s/he is being attacked, don't respond, just contact one of the moderators.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator
Old 12-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Nobility

{deleted and responded to by PM - Elspeth}

Prince Charles will reign and will do a good job when the time comes.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I've just removed the questions about Charles' titles to the Questions about Titles thread. If you want to discuss Charles' titles or the correct way to address him or any other royal, that is the thread to post to.

As Elspeth said, we don't have a standard for how they are addressed in this forum as long as its not insulting or derogatory.

This thread is for discussing whether Charles will ascend the throne.

ysbel
British forum moderator
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 12-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Gentry

well this is deja vu... think about how old king edward was when queen victoria died
Old 12-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

He reigned 10 years. What is your point? Of course, Charles wil reign, if he is alive and well. No reason he shouldn't.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Aristocracy

Itīs possible that Charles will be King of England. However, is not sure.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
This is true...
Old 12-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Nobility

I think Charles should reign. He is more than ready and it will give young William a chance to shadow his father (even though its not totally necessary since he has been doing this with his grandmother already)

But it will allow Charles to take the position he's had to wait so long for and also give William a chance to have somewhat of a young life without this great responsibility falling on him so early.

In 10 years or so, a more mature and ready William will be much better suited to take over at that point, even 20 years later.

This seems like a win-win for everyone JMO
Old 12-24-2007, 02:51 AM
Courtier

I think Charles will reign plus it will give more time for William to prepare himself as the next king.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Aristocracy

I think Charles will reign,but his reign was always expected to be a short one.I remember at the time of the marriage of Charles and Diana, that expectations were that Charles would be in his late sixites or seventies,perhaps,because his mother had good longevity prospects. Charles was expected to pave the way for his son, William,perhaps starting some changes that his sone wold continue.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
He reigned 10 years. What is your point? Of course, Charles wil reign, if he is alive and well. No reason he shouldn't.
I think the point was that during his long stint as Prince of Wales under the reign of Queen Victoria, Edward VII was seen as lightweight and not worthy of the throne but once he became King, his reputation made a marvelous recovery.

There's no guarantee that will happen to Charles though.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 12-30-2007, 05:08 AM
Aristocracy

I believe HM Queen Elizabeth when she gathered the leadership of the Church of England back a few years ago made it abundantly clear that HRH Prince Charles will most certainly reign when she passes, if he outlives her.

I think the love story or Camilla and Charles is the greatest love story of the previous century. I think we should each WISH that someone would PERMANENTLY love us in that way, no matter what.

It is just pure silliness to think that ALL this work has been done over the past 12 years or so to make Camilla acceptable to the public at large for nothing? She MARRIED Charles, she is a ROYAL, she is TITLED with HRH, hello? When he becomes King, what else would she be? IF there was any real doubt as to whether or not that would be the case, do you really think both the British government and the Church of England would have agreed to the wedding?

What has changed, really? To be blunt, it is NO LONGER REQUIRED that a future Queen be a virgin or never married to anyone other than the King. That's all.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:57 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Exactly, and only time will tell. So all we can do is just wait and live to see that day...

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales