The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 03:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Surely his broadness of mind and experience should be applauded.
I agree. Charles III (or George VII) could be a uniting force in this respect.

"MII"

Old 05-24-2006, 04:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Deal with what? I fail to see a problem with a Prince of Wales or a King of England having an understanding and appreciation of the Islamic world.
Surely his broadness of mind and experience should be applauded.
You're right, Warren!It is a fact that the idea of "cuius regio , eius religio" (meaning the ruler determinates the religion of his subjects) is quite outdated nowadays. Democratic countries all over the world recognize the right of the individual to choose his own belief. Religion and faith are not longer political but private issues when it comes to peaceful cooperation. As there are many British and Commonwealth citizens who practise their personal choice of faith individually and in private, it is a very correct and warm gesture of their future king to respect them and their right of their own belief.

Plus I think it's the right political sign in a world that is more and more endangered by religious fanatism - to show that respect and defense is possible even though the defender has a different faith himself. It's the example that counts and I have deep respect for the prince for asking the government to make this position of tolerance and protection a public one.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Victoria
Charles may reign, but with his Muslim sympathies and title Defender of the Faith, one can only hope that ERII lives a long time. That would be a major muddle for the BRF to deal with.
What a really strange thing to say. There are many, many faiths and non faiths that are celebrated in the UK and Commonwealth Countries, contrary to what is show on the news, we are not all out killing one another over it.

Because he is willing to reach out to all people, regardless of their faith (religion is in decline in the UK, apparently), he will be a much celebrated King.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I can only be thankful that Prince Charles is such a thoughtful person. I am not a British citizen, however I think that the Head of the state (a King/Queen, President...) must be head of the state for every single citizen of his country, regardless of Religion.
With all respect to British traditions, I do think that Prince Charles's intention to be Defender of Faiths, rather then Defender of the Faith, is the right thing to do.
That's my private opinion.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 05-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
What a really strange thing to say. There are many, many faiths and non faiths that are celebrated in the UK and Commonwealth Countries, contrary to what is show on the news, we are not all out killing one another over it.

Because he is willing to reach out to all people, regardless of their faith (religion is in decline in the UK, apparently), he will be a much celebrated King.
Maybe the Defender of the Faith title needs to be actualized a bit? That will open the door for the Monarch to get the same freedom to choose (incluiding choosing a spouse) or be just private about it just like everyone else. Religion and Royalty, be it in Britain, Japan, Jordan, Uganda or India go hand in hand. But the monarch has a flexibility to expand his defense to all faiths and religions, to include everyone a priest does not have that freedom since he, or she, made that choice already .
Then maybe we can move on to get rid of that thing of having the first male have priority to rule over an older sister.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Serene Highness

I think Charles should rule because I would hate to see him spend his whole entire life waiting and then never getting to. I realize that as an American I don't understand everything about the monarchy but isn't he going to be just a figurehead? He is really good at this and I think since he married Camilla his is more relaxed and sure of himself. I loved Princess Diana but anyone could see that they were totally wrong for each other. I think it would bring the monarchy down, if they were to by-pass Charles because I dont feel William is ready to handle this kind of pressure, I am not sure he will ever be.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

I Agree with most of what you say but not all, I Think William will accept his role. I Just wonder how thext 2 Coronations are going to go ? what crown Does the King wear wonder if both Charles and William will reign under there first names?
Old 05-26-2006, 02:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
I Agree with most of what you say but not all, I Think William will accept his role. I Just wonder how thext 2 Coronations are going to go ? what crown Does the King wear wonder if both Charles and William will reign under there first names?
Charles, as it stands, is said to want to be known as George VII, distancing himself from Charles (III). Something to do with the Stuart Kings (Charles I & II) & the turmoil which plunged England into its first, and hopefully last Republic & the well documented adultry of Charles II, but, who knows really.

I, myself, would very much like to see him crowned Charles III :)

There was also talk of the Prince opting to wear his naval uniform instead of robes in the neo-classical design, as has been tradition.

Whether or not either of these two changes have been decided upon shall be seen in due time

"MII"
Old 05-26-2006, 03:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Because the Protestant Church, whilst it recognises divorce, won't remarry divorcees.
And here was me thinking there was a logical reason. :o
Old 05-26-2006, 06:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
If that was the case, then why did they have to get married in the Guild Hall?
Because they thought that allowing the future 'defender of the faith' to marry in church would cause more complaints from it's older worshippers and employees. They were trying to re-unite over the fall out from electing a gay priest and allowing women into their club, to be seen to treat Charles as an individual and allow him to choose who to conduct the ceremony and where, was beyond their 'christian' calling apparently! Rowan Williams IMO was trying to assert his authority after, as I say, a massive fallout.

Logic doesn't apply here, a lot of vicars will remarry divorcees, whether or not the ex alleges that the new wife/husband to be was involved in the breakup.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Gentry

Will charles ever reign??? OMG ! I sincerely hope not> too much baggage and that includes the duchess he married... The pair are not role models for the positions ...
:) :) :)
Old 06-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Aristocracy

They are a harmless cute elderly couple who have been preparing to reign for decades, I think they'll be marvelous!
Old 06-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Nobility

I see the Queen living for a many more years. Who knows if Charles or even Camilla will still be alive. If I am not wrong Camilla is a very heavy smoker. That is not very good for your health. I wish they all well.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleiman
I see the Queen living for a many more years. Who knows if Charles or even Camilla will still be alive. If I am not wrong Camilla is a very heavy smoker. That is not very good for your health. I wish they all well.
Thatīs a very curios post...Please notice that Camilla was a heavy smoker years ago. She and Charles are trying to live very healthy. And no one knows what the future brings. It could change everyday.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Charles and Camilla are wonderful role models, they and their families have shown that Love conquers all.
That life after a terrible marriage and divorce is possible. With 1 out of 3 marriages ending in divorce, they are more relevant to todays society than ever before. While I was not divorced (I was widowed), I would not have wished to be condemned or punished for getting out of a miserable marriage, would any of us?
Old 06-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornsen
Thatīs a very curios post...Please notice that Camilla was a heavy smoker years ago. She and Charles are trying to live very healthy. And no one knows what the future brings. It could change everyday.
I did not mean anything bad about Camilla. I had readed that she was a very heavy smoker. I think that many members of the Royal Family smoked. The Queen own father was a very heavy smoker. I am glad that she has stopped. I know from my own family what smoking can do to someone.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:25 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I can only be thankful that Prince Charles is such a thoughtful person. I am not a British citizen, however I think that the Head of the state (a King/Queen, President...) must be head of the state for every single citizen of his country, regardless of Religion.
With all respect to British traditions, I do think that Prince Charles's intention to be Defender of Faiths, rather then Defender of the Faith, is the right thing to do.
That's my private opinion.
I think that in the end the current honorific will not be changed, but it it only my opinion.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
orignially posted by Royal Fan
I Think William will accept his role.
I think this too. But he is still pretty young. This question has to be weighing heavy on people's minds there with the King and Queen getting up there in age. But they both seem perfectly healthy to me and will probably live several more years. By then William should be ready.

Plus I've never really go the impression Charles wanted to. I think he would be more content living out his life as he is now with Camilla and allowing for a long ruling monarchy with William and his wife and family when that happens.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I don't think Charles has ever contemplated stepping aside for William or for that matter William wanting to take the throne with his father still alive.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I don't think Charles has ever contemplated stepping aside for William or for that matter William wanting to take the throne with his father still alive.
I agree with you. Charles always has a strong sense of duty and he wants to be king. To be King is his only ambition and the goal of his life. He will not give up his throne for anything.Borrowing a phrase from Edward VIII,Charles will be a better king with the woman he loves by his side.

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales