The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 10:47 AM

I think it was Zsa Zsa Gabor who once said, "My husbands were swines. But I had the last laugh. They're all dead".

Old 05-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
But Camilla was a divorcee. Was hers a Roman Catholic marriage, and if so, does it not count in view of the above?
Camilla married Andrew Parker-Bowles in the Guards Chapel, which I think is nondenominational, although reports have said that the wedding was conducted by a Roman Catholic priest according to the rites of the Catholic Church. She did not convert to Catholicism, however, and her ex-husband has remarried; regardless of what the church may or may not feel, she was legally free to remarry and that's really what counts.

Old 05-19-2006, 02:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
I think something that Charles may fret over is that he may not be King long enough to have made the difference's he would have wanted to have made, and, I can empathise with that.
I can't disagree with you Margrethe, in fact it almost seems unfortunate that Charles will become King instead of a successful entrepreneur or statesman because becoming king seems like a waste of his intellectual curiousites and interests. Hopefully he'll be able to make very real contributions despite the built-in obstacles attached to the position of being Britain's highest ceremonial figure.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:34 PM

As far as the Church is concerned;

Roman Catholic : Until Andrew Parker-Bowles dies, Camilla is not married in the eyes of the Roman Catholic Church because divorce is not recognised. Charles however, is a widower and is free to marry. He was not whilst Diana was alive and they were divorced.

Protestant : Camilla is divorced, Charles is divorced and have legally married.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
As far as the Church is concerned;

Protestant : Camilla is divorced, Charles is divorced and have legally married.
If that was the case, then why did they have to get married in the Guild Hall?
Old 05-19-2006, 08:06 PM

Because the Protestant Church, whilst it recognises divorce, won't remarry divorcees.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreDoc
I can't disagree with you Margrethe, in fact it almost seems unfortunate that Charles will become King instead of a successful entrepreneur or statesman because becoming king seems like a waste of his intellectual curiousites and interests. Hopefully he'll be able to make very real contributions despite the built-in obstacles attached to the position of being Britain's highest ceremonial figure.
I do not see the reason for a King not being intellectually curious. I think that its better that they should be like this...Unfortunately, kings and queens nowadays seems too interested in sports or bussiness affairs than in intellectual issues. There is, of course, some exceptions. I shouldn't point them out, for I don't want to appear as a sour person. Of course, I have my favos among the royals, but I'll not said which ones I don't like awfully too much.

I think that Charles, could become a really good King. I bet it!

Vanesa.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Because the Protestant Church, whilst it recognises divorce, won't remarry divorcees.
Really? where did Henry the eigth get remarried? did he have civil ceremonies as well or was it different back then?
Old 05-19-2006, 08:43 PM

He married in his church. He could do pretty much as he liked. But now, things are different and everyone follows one set of rules.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The Church of England does remarry divorcees these days, but it frowns on the notion of marrying a divorcee to a person who was part of the reason the first marriage failed. I gather some clergy will perform a marriage service under those conditions, but this particular case would have caused some serious problems for the church.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
The Church of England does remarry divorcees these days, but it frowns on the notion of marrying a divorcee to a person who was part of the reason the first marriage failed.
Although your explanation was serious the way you phrased it made me laugh
Old 05-23-2006, 01:11 PM
Commoner

Yeah, I think Charles will rule. It may be long or may be short but he'll rule. I can see William (or harry depending on how things go in the future)
getting the throne at a good age, maybe in there early 40's.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

How soon does everyone expect Charles will become King 5 years,10,15 im not being morbid just curious I Wish the Queen more Happy years
Old 05-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
How soon does everyone expect Charles will become King 5 years,10,15 im not being morbid just curious I Wish the Queen more Happy years
No one knows what tomorrow holds. But assuming The Queen's health holds out like her mother's did, she could be on the throne another 10-15 years and Charles' reign would be short. This is why The Queen will continue to closely oversee William's future and duties.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
Absolutely not I want the Queen as my Head of State for many years to come :) hoping she lives as long as her beloved mother.

"MII"
Old 05-23-2006, 11:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Some of the early deaths among the men were also at least partly due to their being heavy smokers, which isn't one of Charles's habits. The relatively peaceful society and his drive for healthy living may well mean that he'll live to a greater age than most of his predecessors.
I recall reading many years ago an article on how cancer took the lives of all the British kings between Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth because of their addiction to tobacco. Charles seems to be the healthiest crown prince ever in the House of Windsor.
But, to answer the main question on the thread, I think he has a 50-50 chance of reigning. If he does I have the feeling it will be a short period and Camilla will survive him.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Nobility

If the Queen lives as long as her mother, then as far as she and Prince Charles go, there will be certain parallels between Victoria and Edward VII. Long reign, short reign, long reign?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:37 PM

Charles may reign, but with his Muslim sympathies and title Defender of the Faith, one can only hope that ERII lives a long time. That would be a major muddle for the BRF to deal with.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Victoria
Charles may reign, but with his Muslim sympathies and title Defender of the Faith, one can only hope that ERII lives a long time. That would be a major muddle for the BRF to deal with.
HRH the Prince of Wales has noted that he would like the title Defender of the Faith changed to Defender of all Faith's, which I imagine may not go down too well with the Protestant Church of England.

Quote:
there will be certain parallels between Victoria and Edward VII
I have always thought this to be a very likely scenario. Of course no one knows, but the longer Her Most Gracious Majesty continues to reign (long may that be) there's an increasing likeliness that Charles' reign as King will be most short lived, in comparison.

I, personally, cant see Charles having a Silver Jubilee.

"MII"
Old 05-24-2006, 02:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Victoria
Charles may reign, but with his Muslim sympathies.. That would be a major muddle for the BRF to deal with.
Deal with what? I fail to see a problem with a Prince of Wales or a King of England having an understanding and appreciation of the Islamic world.
Surely his broadness of mind and experience should be applauded.

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales