The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

There is nothing in law preventing the King from being a divorcee or marrying a divorced woman. What happened in 1936 with Edward VIII was a combination of political, constitutional and social objections (The Church prohibited divorce at the time) to marrying Wallis Simpson.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:26 PM

thanks so much for clearing it up for me- i see i can stand to do some "brushing up " on my royal IQ!!
thanks

Old 07-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
I think the question is kind of 'closed' now. Charles, unless the Queen becomes crazy and change her plans (which I doubt), will be King. But you're right to ask RukaDuch, the question of the divorce is interesting. Other members have already answered, it doesn't provides him of becoming King. What's more complicated is the role of Camilla. Charles is determinate to make her Queen but from what I've heard Camilla is already pleased if she has the 'Queen Consort' title.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 07-31-2007, 11:24 PM
Royal Highness

King Charles III (or IV) whichever one works for me--he's been Prince Charles for so long, it would seen silly for him to be known as someone else. Besides, I quite agree-King Charles and Queen Camilla has a lovely ring to it.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 08-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Charles, unless the Queen becomes crazy and change her plans (which I doubt), will be King.
It doesn't matter what plans the Queen may have, Charles is her successor by law.
Succession to the Crown is determined by the Act of Settlement, and only the Parliament can change it.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
I think the question is kind of 'closed' now. Charles, unless the Queen becomes crazy and change her plans (which I doubt), will be King. But you're right to ask RukaDuch, the question of the divorce is interesting. Other members have already answered, it doesn't provides him of becoming King. What's more complicated is the role of Camilla. Charles is determinate to make her Queen but from what I've heard Camilla is already pleased if she has the 'Queen Consort' title.
You mean, "Princess Consort"-title? because as wife of the king regnant she can only ever be Queen Consort, not more - and IMHO not less.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Heres how I see it as wife wife of the POW She should be Princess of Wales and Queen Consort when the time comes Id say Charles will be 65. and he could live long enough to have a Golden Jubilee although hed be like 115 lol :)
Old 08-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Serene Highness

Few expat Britons see Camilla as 'the Queen'

Gulfnews: Few expat Britons see Camilla as 'the Queen'
Old 08-10-2007, 07:10 PM

And we care about expats because? Honestly, people leave this country and then expect us to take their demands on what should happen here.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

The article is hilarious, it seems as if they asked all of 5 ex Brits, one of whom doesn't like the monarchy at all. The woman complained that they cost 'us' money when there are homeless people on the street, she didn't go on to say she gives any of her money to the homeless charities though!
Old 08-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Nobility

The numbers will continue to go up over the years as people see just how much Charles really loves Camilla. The one true thing in this article is the quote about their love standing the test of time.

This is what will win people over, because its true. You don't see to often a love that has stood for decades through all kinds of obstacles. This is what won me over, as I am a big Diana fan, but you cannot deny that Charles has loved this woman since he's been in his early twenties and never stopped loving her.

Its one of the best true love stories I've ever seen.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorIII View Post
You don't see to often a love that has stood for decades through all kinds of obstacles.
No, but look at his parents, gearing up for the diamond wedding! And the Queen Mother who really stayed married to the King for her entire life, as death couldn't sever their bond.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think some of the coronation issue is going to depend to a certain degree on whether the Church decides to make the divorce and remarriage an issue. If they are still adament about not recognizing divorce, there is going to be a problem. I mean, how can he be Defender of the Faith (in it's present form) if he and his wife are both divorced and their prior relationship was the cause of both of their first marriages ending? Perhaps if she is not crowned as queen, the high muckety mucks in the church might not be as stubborn about Charles' divorce since as the first wife is dead, he would be technically a widower in the eyes of the church? For those of you who live in GB, has there been any softening of the stance of the CofE regarding divorce and remarriage? I was under the impression that this was the reason Charles and Camilla had to have a civil wedding and only a church 'service of dedication', rather than a wedding in the church? Which to me does not bode well for the coronation. But more than likely QEII will live 20+ more years, in which case, the CofE may have shifted before this becomes an issue. We shall see.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:27 AM

The Church of England does recognise divorce and remarriage. So there's no an issue Church wise.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
But more than likely QEII will live 20+ more years, in which case, the CofE may have shifted before this becomes an issue. We shall see.
Public opinion in general, I suspect, will be dramatically different. 20 years on? Oh yes. It will be largely fresh perspectives. People by then, I have no doubt, will be fully accustomed the "Charles and Camilla". I think Diana will be remembered always, but it will balance out more in the future. Remembering Diana will become more nostalgic in a healthy way (like remembering Queen Mary, Queen Alexandra, etc.) and less obsessive or accusative. The balance will come. I have no doubt. It has to.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:26 AM

To be totally honest, I don't see the Church of England lasting as the established official Church for another 20 years but we're wildly off topic here. I still urge caution when suggesting that 102 year old can still make a good monarch.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
The Church of England does recognise divorce and remarriage. So there's no an issue Church wise.
Really? Then why did Chales and Camilla choose to have a civil ceremony instead of a church wedding? I would have thought that a religious wedding service would be the family preference?
Old 08-11-2007, 04:29 PM

It was to do with venue wasn't it? I mean, I may be wrong but surely the Church can't afford not to recognise divorce in it's current position? Again, wrong topic.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
And we care about expats because?
Because some of us are worth caring about.

For anyone wanting to check the position of the Church of England about remarriage of divorcees, nothing beats going to the source:

Marriage in Church after Divorce (updated February 2003) | Church of England
Old 08-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I only cares about the continuity of Monarchy in Britain. And as long as I know, people DOES love their Monarchy in the old Ilsnads. So, I think that Monarchy will be an active institution there for years from now. And I hope the new King could do his job without major troubles.

Vanesa.

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales